Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
You see the trick is to walk into the house's office, bang on the desk and say I want a mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nah don’t show too much interest. Neg them. Make them come to you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
You know you'd be a pretty nice house if it weren't for your garden. Is that like, intentional?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Joe Rogan is so impressed by Perth he may end up moving here (don't bother clicking, it's just fluff).

More like Joe Bogan!! :owned:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Paid $40 for a GP appointment today because everywhere has stopped bulk billing. Feels real bad!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

we do need more bulk billing clinics. the three near me can sometimes be up to a 15 minute wait. i think that's pretty unacceptable imo.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
to get an appointment at the local medical centre, with any of the 5 doctors, you have to book it almost two weeks in advance

and im probably going to have that be my primary doctor after the family doctor retires at the end of june

joy

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Labor yet again pushing the "oohhhh it's entirely the greens' fault nothing has happened on climate since 2009 and nothing to do with the two major parties who actually wielded power in all that time" line

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I love how they ignore their own successful efforts in getting climate change legislation passed, and how effective it was, just so they can have a weakass spray at the greens.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hmm i think it's entirely accurate to say that we would have had a carbon reduction scheme implemented in 2009 if it weren't for the greens.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The Greens don't like progress on the environment or on people's welfare through sustainable development, they just want to bleat about how they are always pushing for perfect.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

and they get a little bit terfy at times in some states too.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

they should rebrand

the browns

*sad trombone*

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Friendly Jordies asks who tried to murder him

The answer is obvious, and you will watch it like a Colombo movie: It was ex-deputy premier of NSW.

And there can only be one reason why he's made the video on youtube now, Just one more thing.

He has proof.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 15, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sometimes the greens should shut the gently caress up and let the elected government do mild Overton window shifting but otherwise largely ineffective poo poo, but maybe that would hurt them electorally with their hardcore cave-clan megafans idk.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Comstar posted:

He has proof.

Actually he pretty explicitly said at the end 'gently caress it, it's months later and we still know nothing, lets get back to exposing corruption in the worst state.'

Also there was footage of the attack in the bumper, and unless Bruz gained weight, a full beard, and a successful Youtube novelty talk show, it wasn't him.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i guess the problem with mild overton window shuffling is that we'll all be underwater/burnt to cinders/both before the overton window has come to terms with what's needed to avoid dying.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

hmm i think it's entirely accurate to say that we would have had a carbon reduction scheme implemented in 2009 if it weren't for the greens.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The Greens don't like progress on the environment or on people's welfare through sustainable development, they just want to bleat about how they are always pushing for perfect.

https://greens.org.au/explainers/cprs

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Sometimes the greens should shut the gently caress up and let the elected government do mild Overton window shifting but otherwise largely ineffective poo poo, but maybe that would hurt them electorally with their hardcore cave-clan megafans idk.

Sometimes you should shut the gently caress up.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

h

That's a hilariously disingenuous article.

It would more accurately read - After working to prevent bringing in a price on carbon by working with a face eating leopard to wound the consensus driven politicians driving change, the greens worked with a terminally wounded government to bring in a Greens-led package [that] included a price on carbon that worked to reduce emissions, The very next election, the face eating leopard ate our face and removed the price on carbon.

We fought for – and achieved – gently caress all. We are very proud of our perfect piece of legislation that didn't last a single election cycle, it was so perfect and it is the system's fault it was not recognized for its greatness by the people that it applied to, only international experts that we agree with. It is still our proposed perfect piece of legislation. It has been totally worth 15 years of waiting since knocking over the pretender to good enough legislation to have another go. We are hoping that there is a face eating leopard with enough confidence to help us not have to cave into another consensus driven approach.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If Labor wants to pass it's policies without compromise then maybe they should try winning enough seats to do so instead of stamping their feet and having a tantrum every time the Greens do what people elected them to do rather than being Labors compliant little Nationals equivalent

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I for one think it would be cool and good to have meaningful legislation to drive down carbon emissions, rather than another totally performative scheme that enables multinationals to keep boiling the planet at no cost due to a bunch of dumb gently caress offsets that don't actually represent a net reduction in emissions but boy, maybe I'm just an idiot lefty communist for thinking so,

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Labor literally can't help itself but to burn all the goodwill in the electorate to make no-one happy. It's right here in the contract they signed.

They could've done something about those stage 3 tax cuts which are wildly unpopular with their own demographic and base but it's just a lot better to wring their hands and shrug about how hard it is.

They didn't have to shitcan the additional psych sessions (citing cost) but they just can't afford it despite there being a greater burden of cost when people go acute and have to go to the ED. Same with GP/primary care, we could be funding this but we'd rather fund the system at the point of the hospital.

hambeet posted:

and they get a little bit terfy at times in some states too.

We can just say Victoria

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lol how fragile to have made a page dedicated to defend their biggest failure.

At least they appear to take ownership of forcing the Gillard government to a politically unpalatable carbon tax that contributed to the success of the Tony Abbott opposition at the next federal election.

The same Tony Abbott they supported to block the CPRS back in 2009.

Good on them.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Breakfast Burrito fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 1, 2023

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Breakfast Burrito fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 1, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
if i were labor i would simply not allow the greens to have enough appeal to win the seats that give them the ability to have a say on policy

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
but ... but if they did that then people wouldn't vote labor on conservative issues and liberals would rule unimpeded forever, what to do, what to do!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
it's almost like representative democracy requires you have principles and negotiation and not a sledgehammer to get what you want

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Breakfast Burrito posted:

like if I were an alp stan I would not spend 15 years crying about how we would still be in government and live in a climate utopia but for a comparatively very small political party that apparently had the power to ruin us entirely

i will be voting for the party welding that kind of power, a green fist in an iron glove

Not empty quoting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seemlar posted:

If Labor wants to pass it's policies without compromise then maybe they should try winning enough seats to do so instead of stamping their feet and having a tantrum every time the Greens do what people elected them to do rather than being Labors compliant little Nationals equivalent

Their issue with coal and gas is they won on some random coal and gas seats, so there's an imperative for the greens and the alp to go hard on the issue.

Ignoring all the alp hurt feelings posturing and yelling yesterday on the floor, Bowen and Bandt are being normal about it and continuing a negotiation. My take is that the softest position the alp can take on gas is that they will only approve new facilities if there's a strategic imperative demonstrated. If that's the compromise I think the greens can sell it as a win.

The greens are also playing chess across three different pieces of legislation right now being safeguard, nrf and housing. They're not saying they're going to block legislation and have softened their wording, but it will be interesting to see what kind of deal is struck to make it all happen.

Pocock is also going in hot on housing and safeguard saying they're poo poo policies, so anything they do to make the greens agree is probably going to have to make him agree as well.

Ultimately I don't think the greens are going to block any of the legislation.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Sometimes you should shut the gently caress up.

Another nothing post from a nothing poster.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vote for the party welding that kind of power, fist in a ... bluish heat-resistant glove:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

Lol how fragile to have made a page dedicated to defend their biggest failure.

At least they appear to take ownership of forcing the Gillard government to a politically unpalatable carbon tax that contributed to the success of the Tony Abbott opposition at the next federal election.

The same Tony Abbott they supported to block the CPRS back in 2009.

Good on them.
Has a strong whiff of:

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/a-good-thing-for-the-country-meg-lees-on-the-gst-20-years-later-20200626-p556ho

Labor is frightened of their electoral future in many seats that have a strong fossil (fuel) sector. They seem determined to ignore the huge groundswell in the broader electorate in the hopes of shoring up these handful of 'crucial' marginals.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The CPRS was bad and if you go back in the forums with archives to read our contemporary posts about it, we also thought it was bad. Don't buy into ALP messaging on the CPRS! The one Gillard rolled out was objectively better, shame about the outcome though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It makes political sense for Labor to attack the Greens.

Because no Labor voter is likely to jump off and support the party of Scomo/Dutton. And a Greens voter is even less likely to do so.

But your vaguely half arsed left leaning voter may be convinced to abandon Labour for the Greens, and/or Greens for Labour. Depending on circumstance/policy/perception.

So the fight for "hearts and minds" is between Labour and the Greens. Because there is where one is most likely to win converts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

It makes political sense for Labor to attack the Greens.

Because no Labor voter is likely to jump off and support the party of Scomo/Dutton. And a Greens voter is even less likely to do so.

But your vaguely half arsed left leaning voter may be convinced to abandon Labour for the Greens, and/or Greens for Labour. Depending on circumstance/policy/perception.

So the fight for "hearts and minds" is between Labour and the Greens. Because there is where one is most likely to win converts.

I don't agree with this. The swing seats that Labor needs to win are in suburban and outer suburban electorates. Polling movement between greens and alp doesn't support this premise either. In the city yes for sure, but in the majority of seats Labor and Liberal are still the competitors. Labor win many of those off greens preferences obviously, but the lions share comes from people leaving team blue.

Labor will expect to keep losing increasingly wealthy inner city seats to the greens or indies in the future, so it makes sense to me that they shore up their reputation with established suburban Australia.

The vast majority of people are concerned with themselves primarily and the current economic situation really brings that out. It's everyone for themselves and a mortgage holder is going to cast a renter into the void if it means saving their own skin and vice versa.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 16, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aston by election will be super interesting tbh it's right in the sweet spot of suburban Australia and will test some theories.

E: libs will win I'm talking more about booth polling and margin

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 16, 2023

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Breakfast Burrito posted:

AUSPOL: a green fist in an iron glove

Mods?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

love to know what the justification for pushing through with those stage 3 tax cuts

furiously flipping through the phonebook to find the voter who voted for the ALP on the basis of maintaining those tax cuts lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'm glad they're going through. i was tossing up not taking the second bali trip this year.