Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Destiny 2 Lightfall: Power Bottom Fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SgtSteel91 posted:

It went from useless to one of the most important stats, if not the most important stat, especially when you stack it with things like Glaive Shields, Overshields, Restoration, and soon Woven Mail.

yes, and the value reduction nerf was justified for that reason, in the same way that Protective Light had a reasonable and well-received value reduction. however, unlike Protective Light, resilience received a second nerf in addition to its value reduction. it is now worse AND more expensive, instead of just being worse, and that sucks poo poo and is not good because we've had no chance to see how the value reduction interacts with existing gameplay or the future up-tuned gameplay. we also have no idea how much the increased cost will impact buildcrafting, and for players who like to get deep into armor customization (hi, i am one of those), that also supremely sucks poo poo.

it's fine if you're not worried about this because you trust bungie. they HAVE been getting a lot better about improving game systems to focus on the fun, and i'm sure that a decent balance will get struck somewhere considering all of the cruft and bullshit that they're ripping out like armor elements and slottong seasonal mods. however, that doesn't excuse that we are currently left in the dark about something that's a pretty big deal and the lack of information does not feel great. bungie could have very easily released details in a way that could have prevented this and chose not to, so all we have right now is that resilience got nerfed twice because nuance is hard.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whoa let's not kid ourselves here. Protective Light got nerfed to and through the ground and has not been relevant in any way since that time

It's just that it was also made unnecessary, because of void 3.0, elemental well buffs, and resilience changes

Like it's a bad example of bungie doing a nerf properly. They killed it dead, but nobody cared because it was replaced by even better things

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm also going to keep making the point: If stats are of equal value in terms of how they're valued/rolled on armor, then why should the stat mods cost differently?

Like, I don't expect them to make the stats perfectly equal in value/balance to the player, but it feels like the design of armor stats would almost suggest that they should all be roughly equal in value, and the existence of stat mods feels like they're more there to shore up gaps in what your armor rolled. I really don't understand what making resil or recovery cost more does expect make it so you slap on a resil or recov armorer mod and make sure you have as much of those stats from your armor as you can.

Maxing out resil is less "well I'll have to give up other mods because of mod costs" and more "well I need some armor that rolled resilience." It's dumb. Make the stat mods cost the same. Or hell, make them cost nothing and balance the system around what you're putting in the other slots.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bobby Deluxe posted:

WHERES MY loving DOG

Ana has dog, I'm being serious. The final lore book you get from the finale explains it. I don't give a poo poo though THAT'S MY DOG GODDAMMIT!

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

haveblue posted:

This finale mission works and the cutscene was a lot cooler and easier to understand

I forgot about the tech issues lmao, I guess I got lucky.

I think I just don't get the hype around Seraph Shield.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I appreciated that Eramis didn't forget to level grind, going from pointlessly easy to a significant challenger.

Yeah that Eramis fight kinda ruled. The wizard at the end was a bit of a letdown, would've liked a second phase of Eramis instead maybe including the augments one last time, though I guess that would be a pain for anyone who didn't do Seraph Shield since the mission is f2p

Roctavian posted:

I've already decided it's just these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfKzgltjIg

Apparently they're og D1 armor sets so I buy this theory. Hell, they could be any 3 lore guardians you want em to be. I'm going with Ghost, Joxer and Harper

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Now that was boring conclusion to this story. The people who write the plot for this game should take inspiration from something else than the Bible for once.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eramis was there for like 5 seconds and then ran off when she took one Bonk Hammer... Cmon now, lemme put the poor girl out of her misery

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
traveler wants some space but doesn't actually break up with us, mixed messages

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Seraph Shield was really cool once but wore out its welcome very quickly when they asked us to do it six weeks in a row.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm so glad they're paring back on weapon crafting, that stuff ruins the high of getting a perfect roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUSyiacp46E

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Really fumbled the bag with the ending of this season.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I appreciated that Eramis didn't forget to level grind, going from pointlessly easy to a significant challenger.

I mean, she brought a load of back up and a chunky health bar, let's not go wild now.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Pirate Jet posted:

Seraph Shield was really cool once but wore out its welcome very quickly when they asked us to do it six weeks in a row.

I only ever did it once and was thoroughly whelmed. Maybe it's cooler if you haven't run Deep Stone Crypt? idk

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I thought Seraph Shield was fine except for the middle encounter with the 3 Brigs

It’s like 1 Brig and 1 wave of Fallen too long

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
cool ending, kinda wish rasputin had hung around though. clearly they're making way for the return of failsafe in an exo body :colbert:

i did seraph shield exactly once (still need to do the legendary for the catalysts, but i think you can do it one time if you just progress the four quests far enough) so i was predisposed to like that final mission a lot more than most people, i guess

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

i did seraph shield exactly once (still need to do the legendary for the catalysts, but i think you can do it one time if you just progress the four quests far enough) so i was predisposed to like that final mission a lot more than most people, i guess

Correct. You can knock out all 4 catalysts in one go.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Correct. You can knock out all 4 catalysts in one go.

Do you also get all four Hunter's Trace upgrades to the gun? The huge upgrades to its base stats and the exotic perk?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Roctavian posted:

I've already decided it's just these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfKzgltjIg

Unrelated to the story but goddamn they nailed the Guardian attitude very quickly. There is no cringe here, this is what everyone actually does.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do you also get all four Hunter's Trace upgrades to the gun? The huge upgrades to its base stats and the exotic perk?

No, but that can be done on Normal, thankfully.

Once you have all four catalyst quests, you can just do Legendary once for it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Caidin posted:

I mean, she brought a load of back up and a chunky health bar, let's not go wild now.

Specced into res and hit up LFG, like you do

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:negative: i had no idea this was a separate thing i hate video games

(i also dont like this gun much at all maybe i will just fuckin ignore it. like is it even worth getting the catalysts if i dont also do the 4 additional runs for those perks)

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I really enjoyed running seraphs shield a bunch of times, always solo and on legendary once it unlocked. Aside from having to do it in one sitting, it largely was structured really well imo. It was nice having a thing where having a good build felt really impactful, but didn't need anti champion anything, nor any specific element (though I usually went void, I ended up doing it at least once with every element just because).

Having it show up on a rotator every so often seems ideal for what it is - I don't think it's worth doing every week, but it's enjoyable enough to do every once in a while, particularly once you know exactly what to do. Then again, it might tip over into awful as soon as solo operator is gone, depending on how the build situation looks when lightfall drops.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Eramis might've had good HP but she brought a lovely blue gun, she wasn't taking the situation seriously enough

abraham linksys posted:

:negative: i had no idea this was a separate thing i hate video games

(i also dont like this gun much at all maybe i will just fuckin ignore it. like is it even worth getting the catalysts if i dont also do the 4 additional runs for those perks)

It's boring but it's good, it is at least as strong an antibarrier champion deleter as arbalest IMO

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought Hunters Trace unlocks were tied to the same quests as the catalysts.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
would've been way cooler if we just styled on Eramis since we're so much higher in power level now, instead of her being like "heheheheh they boosted my hp!!!"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

arsenicCatnip posted:

I only ever did it once and was thoroughly whelmed. Maybe it's cooler if you haven't run Deep Stone Crypt? idk

i got around to running it after i went through DSC for the first time and had a very strange "wait a second..." vibe

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Lib and let die posted:

i got around to running it after i went through DSC for the first time and had a very strange "wait a second..." vibe

my muscle memory betrayed me when I failed to see the operator panels and instead did the DSC spacewalk parkour backwards thinking that was how they had re-used that asset lmao

in general the way they use the augments is way lamer in Seraph Shield but I guess that's to be expected for a lower level of content. gently caress that microwave room though

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Me, thinking of a new class to explore in two weeks:

I enjoyed the last mission. Are the catalyst quests for that exotic disappearing with Lightfall, I've been too lazy to do legend Seraph Shield yet

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

Me, thinking of a new class to explore in two weeks:

I enjoyed the last mission. Are the catalyst quests for that exotic disappearing with Lightfall, I've been too lazy to do legend Seraph Shield yet

Yes. Seraph Shield is going away Season 22. (LF is 20) Unclear if you'll be able to earn the exotic and catalysts through the mission when it returns for the exotic mission rotator, or if you'll have a way to earn them while the mission is gone.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa let's not kid ourselves here. Protective Light got nerfed to and through the ground and has not been relevant in any way since that time

It's just that it was also made unnecessary, because of void 3.0, elemental well buffs, and resilience changes

Like it's a bad example of bungie doing a nerf properly. They killed it dead, but nobody cared because it was replaced by even better things

hard disagree that it's not relevant post-nerf, my build uses it to great effect and it is very good at preventing my death. sure it's only 10% resist but that on top of everything else is pretty fuckin substantial

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Things being not as good as they were is not the same as things being useless. Res topping out at 30% is not as good as 40%, but it doesn't mean it's bad. I think there's a bit of overreacting to slight nerfs sometimes. Maybe.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The only people I think who should be complaining are titans but also if they didn't learn from the 2022 class reworks and jump ship to a different class main already for variety then that's on them.

Sorry titans, you're just multicolor strikers of blandness and the one very good solar hammer build.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

People complaining about the final mission like it asks you to do the entire Seraph Shield mission from start to finish again. It was a nice snapshot of it from a great backdrop of a space battle and, to my surprise and joy, one last appearance from the Seraph Big Boys from Season of the Worthy.

Final mission good

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think Resilience will be as (more?) important than ever when T10 drops from 40% to 30%, given that it's only one of the levers bungie is pulling to make PvE more challenging. I think we can expect the Damage Resist Mods on our chest pieces to do less, as well, given that we got those 5% mods this season instead of the usual 15%.

Titans actually have it best, since Resilience (the one useful class stat) actually gives them a faster class ability cooldown, although passive cooldown isn't really relevant to PvE where your ability uptime comes from kills, perks, mods, etc

----(Disclaimer for remainder of post - it's a game and everyone should run what they think is fun even if the Numbers say otherwise. Math is for dorks and only relevant if you're trying to make a really objectively strong build for the sake of it)-----

The reason why Protective Light is out of favor is that it asks so much (forcing a CwL build & taking over 2 precious mod slots) while providing so little (an additional ~4.5% of damage reduction for six seconds while at critical health).

Damage reduction is multiplicative. A 40% and a 25% and a 10% does not give you 75% damage reduction.

Let's say you've got tier 10 Res and a pair of damage resist mods giving you 0.6 x 0.75 = 0.45. Subtract that from 1 and you've got 55% damage resistance

Throw in Protective Light to the above for 0.6 x 0.75 x 0.9 = 0.405, or 59.%.

Upon reaching critical health, you have six to ten seconds in which your 55% damage resistance increases to 59.5%.

No surprise it's extinct in the wild :smith: Especially with mod slots providing so many larger benefits, and the fact that a build is downright hobbled by devoting two slots to Protective Light. Personally I think it was a huge mistake to nerf it from 50% to 10%. I think 25% would have been a fair balance. But, they were pushing Void Overshields and Elemental Wells really hard in Season 16 and so they had to go scorched earth on it, I guess

-----(end of boring Math and minmax chat - you should absolutely use Protective Light if it's fun and you like it and you feel Strong when you use it)------

Also, builds are getting absolutely switched the heck UP next season so who knows what new mods will be king

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The best part about being a Titan is how many ways I have to punch things to death, what are you all on about

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I hope strand has an ability that was as broken as pre-nerfed shatter dive. :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nothing any other class does is as fun as a severance enclosure bonk build

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They're going to have to recap the ending for the people who don't play the seasonal content, because it'd be wild to come back and the traveller is just not there. Like "somehow Palpatine came back" level scene-missing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

SgtSteel91 posted:

People complaining about the final mission like it asks you to do the entire Seraph Shield mission from start to finish again. It was a nice snapshot of it from a great backdrop of a space battle and, to my surprise and joy, one last appearance from the Seraph Big Boys from Season of the Worthy.

Final mission good

It was very funny as F2P.

Suddenly be subjected to Exo Rasputin, a brief glimpse of the beautiful space backdrop with bonus space battle, notice the Human ship hovering around, fight Eramis for the first time, realize the Seraph Big Boys who I saw for a total of 15 seconds during Worthy are reskinned Ogres or Abominations, fight the Broodhold boss again since around this time last year, watch a cutscene that was equal parts amazing (Traveller moving, Warsats have huge Sleeper Stimulants in them) and horrid garbage (Rasputin dies, Warsat network is defunct, Eramis doesn't betray the Witness at the last second)