Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

Looking at upgrading quite specifically due to Verizon offering me $1000 in trade-in credit for the phone I paid $1000 for back in 2021. Storage concerns on my 13 Pro are something of a justification, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t worry about my device’s storage utilization fairly often.

Otherwise, good to hear the battery life is comparable between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro in your experience. I think tech reviewers hyping up the Pro Max skewed my perception of what “good battery life” actually is.

Oh yeah, well that’s a good reason to do it. General reminder it’s a 3 year contract. 14 pro should be fine in 3 years but just fyi you really can’t upgrade early through Verizon.

Although you can buy a phone outright from apple in 1 or 2 years and trade in said 14 pro towards it.

Apple’s T&C say the phone has to be paid off, but they gave me no grief last December. Mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Battery life on my 14 Pro has been excellent honestly. I had a Google Pixel 5 previously and the 14 Pro feels like it has twice the battery that the Pixel 5 did, ESPECIALLY when I'm using apps like TikTok and games and such. They will put a small dent in your battery but still give me more than enough to last a full 24 hour day without a charge

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bagmonkey posted:

Battery life on my 14 Pro has been excellent honestly. I had a Google Pixel 5 previously and the 14 Pro feels like it has twice the battery that the Pixel 5 did, ESPECIALLY when I'm using apps like TikTok and games and such. They will put a small dent in your battery but still give me more than enough to last a full 24 hour day without a charge

It was a bit ropey the first few weeks, maybe bad os, maybe indexing running on a totally fresh phone. Fine now.

I was previously a max person (xs max), have big hands, but the new max phones are clownish imo, and the “small” ones have grown to be just wide enough to fit my thumbs on the keyboard.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

It was a bit ropey the first few weeks, maybe bad os, maybe indexing running on a totally fresh phone. Fine now.

I was previously a max person (xs max), have big hands, but the new max phones are clownish imo, and the “small” ones have grown to be just wide enough to fit my thumbs on the keyboard.

Fun fact: the iPhone 14 Pro footprint is roughly the same as the Pixel 5, just thicker and a decent chunk heavier. My girlfriend still has a Pixel 5 and the thing feels flimsy as gently caress when I hold it now.

And yeah, battery usage wasn't great the first week or two, but everything has settled down quite well now! Honestly very impressed with it overall

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Went ahead and ordered the 14 Pro non-Max. Went to Bullstrap.co to get a new case to go with it, redeemed some loyalty points for a $15 coupon, and had a BOGO 50% off deal. Well the BOGO deal wouldn’t let me use my $15 off reward code, so if anyone wants it PM me or something. Don’t want it to go to waste.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
my 11 Pro's battery life is dreadful these days... I actually used to leave my battery-charging stand unplugged at work because the phone didn't need it. Not anymore!

I was looking at the leather cases for new phones, and I see they aren't open on the bottom anymore?? How much of a lip is there? I guess this is because they switched back to more defined edges on the phone after the 11... but I've gotten really used to smooth flicking "Home" gesture with the 11-era open case design, seems like it'd be a shame to lose that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Minidust posted:

I was looking at the leather cases for new phones, and I see they aren't open on the bottom anymore?? How much of a lip is there? I guess this is because they switched back to more defined edges on the phone after the 11... but I've gotten really used to smooth flicking "Home" gesture with the 11-era open case design, seems like it'd be a shame to lose that.

The official Apple cases are all like that and have a small lip that does keep the screen off of a table. Many 3rd party leather cases still leave the bottom open though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Minidust posted:

my 11 Pro's battery life is dreadful these days... I actually used to leave my battery-charging stand unplugged at work because the phone didn't need it. Not anymore!

the lip doesn't interfere with that gesture. i used apple cases on my 12 mini and 14 plus and it was fine

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Went ahead and ordered the 14 Pro non-Max. Went to Bullstrap.co to get a new case to go with it, redeemed some loyalty points for a $15 coupon, and had a BOGO 50% off deal. Well the BOGO deal wouldn’t let me use my $15 off reward code, so if anyone wants it PM me or something. Don’t want it to go to waste.

Sent a PM

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just to be contrary, I feel like the 14 Pro has worse battery life than the 13 Pro.
Could be the always-on display, because it seems worse to me on weekdays (when my phone is mostly out of my pocket, face-up on a desk) than weekends (when my phone is mostly in my pocket.)
Could also just be placebo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You can turn off the always on screen thing right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bro the name is Always On

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Weedle posted:

the lip doesn't interfere with that gesture. i used apple cases on my 12 mini and 14 plus and it was fine

It doesn’t interfere but I think it’s more enjoyable without a lip there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

That would be a lovely Always On screen wouldn’t it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

But then I wouldn't know what time it is!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Just to be contrary, I feel like the 14 Pro has worse battery life than the 13 Pro.
Could be the always-on display, because it seems worse to me on weekdays (when my phone is mostly out of my pocket, face-up on a desk) than weekends (when my phone is mostly in my pocket.)
Could also just be placebo.

I just started testing this this week because I was curious, my phone is on a stand throughout the day and that thing wakes up CONSTANTLY. I disabled it on Monday when someone posted about getting a 14 Pro but was worried about battery, it reminded me that I wanted to see the difference with/without. Already noticing a difference, enough that I'll probably keep it off

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On my iPhone 12, when I am in a cell dead zone, I get the SOS indicator in the top bar. But since this phone doesn’t have satellite SOS, what does that even mean?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

smackfu posted:

On my iPhone 12, when I am in a cell dead zone, I get the SOS indicator in the top bar. But since this phone doesn’t have satellite SOS, what does that even mean?

It means you only have access to emergency services through 2g/other towers

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

~Coxy posted:

But then I wouldn't know what time it is!

You're already using the energy to take your phone out of your pocket, tapping it to wake costs nothing extra.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s extra wear and tear on your finger joint

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ow my finger.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You're using your fingy wrong

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

You can use any appendage to tap to wake, doesn’t have to be a finger, just saying

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy an apple watch to save your fingers.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

Buy an apple watch to save your fingers.

Honestly I expected Apple to never add AOD to iPhone simply because it seemed like "buy an Apple Watch," was their answer to it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Soul Glo posted:

You can use any appendage to tap to wake, doesn’t have to be a finger, just saying

I applaud your dexterity, friend.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

I applaud your dexterity, friend.

it doesn’t take much dexterity, my dick is huge

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I applaud your hugeness, friend.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The pro is so much bigger than my mini.... Setting it up was really easy. Can't believe how much bigger the camera's are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My dream is for them to release a bigphone with a iphone 6 era sized camera with no bump at all.

I don't use my phone for professional photography so I'd be happy with low rez grainy shots of my cats.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

You're already using the energy to take your phone out of your pocket, tapping it to wake costs nothing extra.

The phone is on my desk, that's why the screen is on.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

~Coxy posted:

The phone is on my desk, that's why the screen is on.

Condolences

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Do we talk about cases in here? Just got the Bullstrap case for my 14 Pro. Case on the left is for the 14P, one on the right is my 13P’s case after 16 months of daily use, was originally the same color as the 14P’s case.

Picked up the South Beach case for my mom as well.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any way to set different wallpapers for light and dark mode? I’ve used the stock light/dark ones for the past year and a half and I finally switched wallpapers to something more personalized

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I have CarPlay enabled on my 2017 GLA45, and if I look at my phone it shows the "use carplay when locked" slider enabled, but somehow when I plug the phone into my car in a locked state the MB still shows "no carplay device connected" until I unlock the phone. Anyone experience something like this? Going to try to re-pair my phone with the car next time I'm in it, but just felt odd since it seems like that's exactly what the slider should enable.

e: Latest iOS on 14 Pro.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to set different wallpapers for light and dark mode? I’ve used the stock light/dark ones for the past year and a half and I finally switched wallpapers to something more personalized

I think you can set up a personal automation to activate at the same time below :

And then:

I think you could also set it up to activate a focus at sunset, and the focus can set the wallpaper. You could probably also use a switch wallpaper action triggered by focus change.

I haven't tried any of this so you might have to mess around a little but I hope it can get you started

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want my phone to take the histogram of the lock screen images I've set up and automatically change based on light levels. The "pick a random image at X time interval" is fine but there's room fro Apple to do some fun stuff there.

Maybe even tie it in with cloud coverage, if it's cloudy out it gives you a gloomy grey photo.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

mawarannahr posted:

I think you can set up a personal automation to activate at the same time below :

And then:

I think you could also set it up to activate a focus at sunset, and the focus can set the wallpaper. You could probably also use a switch wallpaper action triggered by focus change.

I haven't tried any of this so you might have to mess around a little but I hope it can get you started

I might try that, thanks!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

I want my phone to take the histogram of the lock screen images I've set up and automatically change based on light levels. The "pick a random image at X time interval" is fine but there's room fro Apple to do some fun stuff there.

Maybe even tie it in with cloud coverage, if it's cloudy out it gives you a gloomy grey photo.

I'd start here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I want it to do it with my photos. :v: