Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No, he definitely wants EVERYONE to see his poo poo. He is extremely concerned about how many impressions he is getting. Dude paid 44 billion dollars to force everyone to see his shitposts.

Yep, he's genuinely, openly losing his poo poo that the masses aren't giving him the same fawning reactions that his nazi buddies are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

It would be nice if everyone (or everyone sane I guess) would just give up on bird site and go back to linking to actual news articles instead of the lovely embed of a tweet of a news article.

(that's the only reason anyone uses twitter, right? linking to news? nobody uses it for the actual discourse on the platform, do they???)

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
It's hugely popular for sports analysis, highlights and player reactions.

That's the irony of musk tripling down on the politics side of Twitter. Politics is the little brother to sports and he spends all his time trying to get the culture war numbers up.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Family Values posted:

It would be nice if everyone (or everyone sane I guess) would just give up on bird site and go back to linking to actual news articles instead of the lovely embed of a tweet of a news article.
Agreed.

Leave twitter you assholes (i have a mirror pointed at me while saying this.)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Family Values posted:

(that's the only reason anyone uses twitter, right? linking to news? nobody uses it for the actual discourse on the platform, do they???)

Twitter has two purposes: a) a giant comment section for news/sports/politics that have the same calibre of posting as news article comment sections, b) amateur/low professional arts promotion/consumption which is generally cosy and fine and necessary to be seen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Family Values posted:

Most news sites are almost completely unusably choked with ads, even WITH an ad blocker.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most news sites are almost completely unusably choked with ads, even WITH an ad blocker.

Ublock Origin really gets 99.999% of any ads for me.
Along with Bypass Paywalls
https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome
And this quick javascript switcher for stuff like Washington post, I rarely have problems accessing any news site.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje?hl=en-US
Turning off javascript and its paywall nag for that site will block stuff like images for the news post but will allow me to read it no problem.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

OgNar posted:

Ublock Origin really gets 99.999% of any ads for me.
Along with Bypass Paywalls
https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome
And this quick javascript switcher for stuff like Washington post, I rarely have problems accessing any news site.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje?hl=en-US
Turning off javascript and its paywall nag for that site will block stuff like images for the news post but will allow me to read it no problem.

I use a fork of the bypass extension: https://gitlab.com/magnolia1234/bypass-paywalls-chrome-clean

The main benefit is it tends to get updated faster + covers more websites.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:lol:

https://twitter.com/platformer/status/1625666319055208448?s=20&t=Td4Do_JW1D8wE0TwI9Igxg

quote:

At 2:36 on Monday morning, James Musk sent an urgent message to Twitter engineers.

“We are debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” wrote Musk, a cousin of the Twitter CEO, tagging “@here” in Slack to ensure that anyone online would see it. “Any people who can make dashboards and write software please can you help solve this problem. This is high urgency. If you are willing to help out please thumbs up this post.”

When bleary-eyed engineers began to log on to their laptops, the nature of the emergency became clear: Elon Musk’s tweet about the Super Bowl got less engagement than President Joe Biden’s.

Biden’s tweet, in which he said he would be supporting his wife in rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles, generated nearly 29 million impressions. Musk, who also tweeted his support for the Eagles, generated a little more than 9.1 million impressions before deleting the tweet in apparent frustration.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just the most pathetic person on Earth

If I saw a message like that from my boss I would resign immediately

Keep in mind that this stuff with 'engagement' is getting top priority, and meanwhile the advertisers are all gone and at some point this year they have to pay the $1 billion in debt servicing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just the most pathetic person on Earth

Keep in mind that this stuff with 'engagement' is getting top priority, and meanwhile the advertisers are all gone and at some point this year they have to pay the $1 billion in debt servicing

It will probably be failure to meet this obligation, as well as violation of FTC and EU regulations, that finally destroys the company.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Name Change posted:

It will probably be failure to meet this obligation, as well as violation of FTC and EU regulations, that finally destroys the company.

If he defaults on the debt Twitter becomes the property of one or more lenders, intact

Probably an upgrade in stewardship

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
While that might be comparatively true, it begs the question of who owns the debt, currently.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Morroque posted:

While that might be comparatively true, it begs the question of who owns the debt, currently.

So looks like just a collection of banks. Seems Morgan Stanley, Bank of America and Barclays are the main ones. A Saudi prince, Qatar, and a bitcoin thing also own a bunch of twitter, but not sure how that works if Twitter defaults on the loan.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only ones left are H1B visas who can't quit, idiot Musk fanboys, and I suspect a not insignificant number of "quiet quitters" and corporate saboteurs just biding their time and collecting a paycheck until the axe inevitably falls on them, too.

Anyone who was going to quit already has.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

You're thinking like someone that'd genuinely pay $44B to make a better product. (But lol, lmao at the thought that Twitter could or should be a better product.)

Elon is someone who paid $44B because he has crippling daddy issues and a violent need for constant validation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Decon posted:

You're thinking like someone that'd genuinely pay $44B to make a better product. (But lol, lmao at the thought that Twitter could or should be a better product.)

Elon is someone who paid $44B because he has crippling daddy issues and a violent need for constant validation.
Well remember that he agreed to buy Twitter as a joke or whatever and had to be forced to go through with the sale

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well remember that he agreed to buy Twitter as a joke or whatever and had to be forced to go through with the sale

I'm honestly not buying the joke line anymore.

The dude signed a legally binding contract and was backed by thunderous applause from the worst chuds still left on the site while doing it. It seems like that was "it's a prank bro" style backpedalling when people were pointing out that it was an objectively bad move money-wise.

And now, while he's tearing up long-standing use cases for the site by making the API paid only and while the average ad on the site slips further into trash you see as sidebars on sketchy websites, he's burning what's left of his workforce talent on... getting fewer views than Biden on some throwaway Superbowl tweets.

I genuinely think he's just a validation-driven fuckwit, and that's kinda all there is to it. Besides to say that he seems like he's so validation-driven because he's basically just a pile of daddy issues stuffed into a binder under a Rick and Morty t-shirt.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1626271836022665217?s=20

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1626283867069095943?s=20

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Decon posted:

The dude signed a legally binding contract and was backed by thunderous applause from the worst chuds still left on the site while doing it. It seems like that was "it's a prank bro" style backpedalling when people were pointing out that it was an objectively bad move money-wise.

And now, while he's tearing up long-standing use cases for the site by making the API paid only and while the average ad on the site slips further into trash you see as sidebars on sketchy websites, he's burning what's left of his workforce talent on... getting fewer views than Biden on some throwaway Superbowl tweets.

I genuinely think he's just a validation-driven fuckwit, and that's kinda all there is to it. Besides to say that he seems like he's so validation-driven because he's basically just a pile of daddy issues stuffed into a binder under a Rick and Morty t-shirt.

He has a history of stock manipulation and basically gives no fucks about regulators, laws, or ethics because he thinks rules don't apply to him (they don't... up until a certain point). So yes he may have said he was trying to buy Twitter as part of some lame con, proceeded to try and back out because he was buying in at roughly the worst time possible, and got forced to do it in court by a bunch of shareholders, many of whom were more than happy to drop the bag off on his doorstep.

All that being said, the very idea of buying Twitter probably wouldn't occur to someone at this point who wasn't extremely hosed up. It really made no tactical sense, and he's obviously fine with it being destroyed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

koolkal posted:

I use a fork of the bypass extension: https://gitlab.com/magnolia1234/bypass-paywalls-chrome-clean

The main benefit is it tends to get updated faster + covers more websites.

For real thank you 10,000x for posting this, this fuckin' rules!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:lol: if true.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1626699135012446208?s=20

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
product so good we need to force people to use it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Do they have less awful forms of 2FA?

Edit:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1626699187399303168

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 18, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Security as a service for your personal social media account? lol

The continued stripping out the copper wiring of twitter continues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At this point giving your phone number to Twitter for any reason seems like a bad idea, eventually they'll get desperate enough to sell it to spammers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

At this point giving your phone number to Twitter for any reason seems like a bad idea, eventually they'll get desperate enough to sell it to spammers

Even better for them, they'll know it's from people who are easily scammed.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
If that's true, I'm literally speechless. Twitter was made for well targeted ads and small additions for a fee, not a total subscription model.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm pretty sure paywalling 2FA is illegal according to the GDPR.

While it's not mandatory for the enduser, I think having two groups, one with free access and without multi-factor authorization and one paid and with, is a bit too far. As long as there's personal information stored on Twitter, it needs to have it accessible for both groups.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

If it's just SMS-based 2FA that is going behind a paywall, I would imagine that they're really just trying to push people to authenticator apps.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's already starting to be implemented. Also, notice that this is a checkmark (although a legacy checkmark)
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1626784071685734400?s=20

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Baronash posted:

If it's just SMS-based 2FA that is going behind a paywall, I would imagine that they're really just trying to push people to authenticator apps.

No, it's actually because Elon Musk is a loving idiot:

https://twitter.com/TitterTakeover/status/1626781483435188226
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1626782134248828929

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/DrBushraAnjum/status/1626848530165018624?s=20

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Decon posted:

Guy's just a pathological narcissist. Brain's straight-up wired wrong. Daddy issues are optional, not mandatory.

He's almost literally just an appetite on legs, not a fully-formed person.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Whoever posted the Wired article earlier about "enshittificaton" was spot on. People should read that if they haven't yet.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://www.platformer.news/p/yes-elon-musk-created-a-special-system

Yes, Elon Musk created a special system for showing you all his tweets first

After his Super Bowl tweet did worse numbers than President Biden’s, Twitter’s CEO ordered major changes to the algorithm

quote:

This story is based on interviews with people familiar with the events involved and supported by documents obtained by Platformer.

At 2:36 on Monday morning, James Musk sent an urgent message to Twitter engineers.

“We are debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” wrote Musk, a cousin of the Twitter CEO, tagging “@here” in Slack to ensure that anyone online would see it. “Any people who can make dashboards and write software please can you help solve this problem. This is high urgency. If you are willing to help out please thumbs up this post.”

When bleary-eyed engineers began to log on to their laptops, the nature of the emergency became clear: Elon Musk’s tweet about the Super Bowl got less engagement than President Joe Biden’s.

Looks like someone has a terminal case of bird brain syndrome

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I disagree on “44 Billion for Twitter is a bad investment”. If it was the right kind of rich bastard, they could buy it out and quietly turn it into a right wing propaganda machine. You’ll make that money back on tax breaks.

Instead Musk is an idiot who’s trying to do that but in broad daylight.

But everybody else seems to be sticking around and those that left are returning to it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I disagree on “44 Billion for Twitter is a bad investment”. If it was the right kind of rich bastard, they could buy it out and quietly turn it into a right wing propaganda machine. You’ll make that money back on tax breaks.
I think you're underestimating just how much money $44 billion is, and overestimating how much money rich people could potentially save from yet even more tax breaks.

There are only 25 people in the history of humanity that have even had a net worth of at least $44 billion. The top marginal tax rate in the U.S. is 37%, so even if we assume that this rich person is actually paying this to begin with on all of his various income (he's not), and we assume his propaganda machine successfully got this down to 0%, he'd need to earn an additional $119 billion to get his $44 billion in tax breaks.

Only the top three richest people ever have even had $119 billion.

Musk made an absolutely terrible :airquote:investment:airquote:.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also Twitter has never been worth anything even in the ballpark of $44 billion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Twitters whole issue that they couldn't make a profit? How is a company valued at $44 billion when it can't figure out how to make money?