Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dweepus
Nov 25, 2021
Sorry, there were two litter boxes before, both quite large. This one I have added is a third. Should've included that detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just cleaned a fan and realized the dust it is caked with is exactly the same color as our clumping litter.

Anybody got a clumping litter that is low dust?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just cleaned a fan and realized the dust it is caked with is exactly the same color as our clumping litter.

Anybody got a clumping litter that is low dust?

I haven't found one. I can tell you plenty that claim to be low dust - even "dust free" - but none that actually are :|

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use Cat's Best. I don't know if it counts as clumping but it does clump and it has no dust.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Enzymatic cleaners will break down these marker chemicals quickly and gently to protect fabrics and finishes, so the cat does not come back to renew their mark.

Man, I wish this were true. You haven't met my cat and his foul piss.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

my cat owns and I love her very much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lowest dust litter is pine pellets. More work to maintain though.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I use Dr Elsey's in my litter robot and there is pretty much no dust to speak of, even while cycling:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Elseys-Premium-Clumping-Litter/dp/B0009X29WK

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I found Dr Elseys to have a fair amount of dust. I've been using the generic stuff that Sams Club sells.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is reintroduction generally easier than the first introduction? I got a new cat in November, and my 2 existing cats are doing okay, more or less. That said, we're moving at the beginning of March and thought we should probably separate the new boy and reintroduce him at the new place. I only worry it will basically be starting at square one again.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
How do I get a cat to leave us alone? We have a cat that we call That Guy who shows up nearly every day to our house. He’s a pretty big neutered male tabby that goes to the front door, back door, and deck to loudly meow and pick at our doors.

We have three female cats, they all hate That Guy and will hiss and swat at him through the door. We gave him food a couple times back last July thinking he was a stray, but nothing since then. We will yell and chase him away, but he’ll come back minutes later. Lately we’ve used a spray bottle but that hasn’t done much either.

We’ve actually talked to That Guys owners, he comes from a neighborhood right next to ours across a little suburban park. They’re a family with an elementary school kid and another cat or two. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious stress or negligence that would push That Guy out - they seem nice.

So why has this cat been coming around to bother us constantly for 6 months and what else can we do to get him to stop?

ohhyeah fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 15, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is reintroduction generally easier than the first introduction? I got a new cat in November, and my 2 existing cats are doing okay, more or less. That said, we're moving at the beginning of March and thought we should probably separate the new boy and reintroduce him at the new place. I only worry it will basically be starting at square one again.

I'm no expert, but I sorta feel like if they're getting along and there's no history of stress making them mad at each other again, there's not much of a reason to do the separation and risk it?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The reason we were thinking to reintroduce was that the younger of the existing cats, Ripley, will still hiss and growl if he gets close or excited near her, and the older one, Charlie, has been kind of hiding in the basement lately, and seems more skittish and stressed. Under normal circumstances, I'd agree, but I worry the stress of the move will exacerbate their existing relationship issues. I may be wrong though, so it may be worth seeing how they do and only reintroducing them if there seems to be a problem.

I've been thinking about this more because we found out Charlie had been vomiting and pooping outside the box in the basement. This isn't THAT outside of his normal behavior, we've gone to the vet multiple times for intestinal issues and it seems he has Ileus, which is treated by a B12 shot every other week. It flairs up when he's stressed, and we're worried about the poor old guy a bit, especially given he's about 14 years old. That said, it may be premature and counter productive to remove and then reintroduce Broc, the new cat, when things aren't THAT bad with either cat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My feeling is they'll be so stressed out about the move the problem of another cat won't even be on their radar. They're going to be 100% focused on trying find a spot that feels safe and probably set that up as home base for several days.

I guess there could be territory issues if both of them pick the same safe spot so you'll definitely need to keep an eye on them.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
cat has been rebelling against me a bit. i've been keeping him indoors since he's got an injury from going outside and getting into fights. he wouldn't use the new litter i got him either, keeps pissing under my desk.

today i woke up and he's both pissed under my desk AND poo poo in the new litter i got to replace the other so??? hopefully this will get worked out in a few days.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, my UV torch just arrived. But oh no, it looks like someone slipped me a dud $20 bill!!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I got a UV flashlight to check for cat piss now, too. Lychee and Shaokao, they're cool now, I think they're buddies, looking like a successful introduction.

But now I think we got a territory war going on and Shaokao started pissing on some stuff. Went and checked the room we were keeping him in before and there doesn't seem to be piss anywhere besides the litter box, it's in the rest of the apartment where God help you if you leave a jacket sitting on the couch. I am thinking and hoping this is something that will be solved by getting him fixed, but the delay in all his shots and everything because of Lunar New Years, then + the delay where the vet was like "you gotta wait until his cough is cleared up", and now we're getting all his shots they're telling us it's gonna be another month before we can get him fixed.

And I only have so much enzyme cleaner...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Unfixed male cats piss on stuff, it's like their most famous feature. You can try some of the usual techniques to discourage him (enzyme cleaning places he pissed on, making sure the cat toilets are appealing, and so on) but he'll probably be much less motivated to piss on stuff once he's neutered. To be safe, I'd have the vet check if there's any sign of a UTI or similar problems, because those can also cause a cat to piss on things.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ha! Well, that was fun, but fruitless!

It's dark out, so I turned off all the lights and looked around with my UV torch. I found lots of interesting things in my apartment that fluoresce, including the plastic the litterbox is made out of, but no evidence of piss anywhere.

I suspect my friend could probably just smell the litterbox itself, and that I hadn't got it completely clean when I washed it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

ohhyeah posted:

How do I get a cat to leave us alone?

I don’t understand this sentence ???

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Come to think of it: would you fine folks recommend a Litter Robot, or any other kind of fancy litterbox, from a "contain the stink" point of view?

I've been using a plastic tub, in an attempt to minimise pellets being flung around the place, but it's open at the top so it doesn't do anything to keep the smell in. Maybe that's the cause of the problem?

I can certainly smell when somebody's been in the box and hasn't buried it properly (especially if it's a turd), though I can't pick anything up otherwise. The litter didn't react to the UV light, but that doesn't mean anything if the stank is seeping up through the litter...

E: Litter Robot 4 seems to have very good reviews!

EE: https://cats.com/litter-robot-4-review

Ha, I'm almost about to impulse-buy this thing

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 18, 2023

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Do it. Litter robot is great and everyone i know loves it. The only caveat is that some cats just hate the thing but they have free returns. I have a 3, and friend just upgraded to a 4 and likes that one too after having a 3 for 6 years that finally died.

It IS still a machine and needs maintenance and fucks up sometimes but the most i have to do is clean the globe twice a year and give the sensors a good wipe down and de-dusting. Mine gets stuck sometimes but a little jiggle and it'll be good for another week. This is mostly a problem that my cats are small and dainty and fail to get detected.

edit: using world's best in it

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 18, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My spouse and I are disabled and our Litter Robot has been one of the best things to happen to us tech-wise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What litter do you use with your litter robot? I've heard that some clumping brands have problems.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What litter do you use with your litter robot? I've heard that some clumping brands have problems.

I use this one and it works well.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dweepus posted:

I don't suspect anything medical, he has been eating/drinking/pooping and peeing all normally other than this one weird behavior. And every time he does it, he will either throw litter out of the box / use litter that was already tracked onto the floor, and make it into a little pile to poop on. It's never a poop on bare floor, he always makes an attempt for it to be on some litter and cover it with what litter he can. It's hard to know exactly what he does and why because again, it's only at night while we are sleeping. Never while we are awake at home or even away at work.

Huh. My cat has lately started doing exactly this, but he's an only cat and always has been. His litter box is on tile, fortunately, so it's not the end of the world to clean up, and he'll poop about a foot away from it and track litter over there (but he'll pee in the box just fine). And yes, I always get a 'present' when I get up in the morning.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Pazuzu was doing something similar where I'd just randomly find a single poop out on the floor but it turns out she was just getting dingleberries from eating my hair and the last poop would just go flying off her when she ran out of the box at top speed.

I'm making a more active attempt to stop her from licking my head.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any suggestions for a high-sided litterbox (14")? We're looking to adopt a cat who has an unconventional way of peeing- pees horizontally like a spraying male. I've checked out HD and hardware stores for storage totes that can be modified into a litterbox. Found a potential Rubbermaid tote that might work, but the problem is most storage totes are either: high sided and narrow OR low-sided and wide. I need wide and high-sided. And it needs to be uncovered as our existing cats don't like to use enclosed litterbins.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It’s expensive but I got a ModKat litter box which has a convertible top. Very good construction and the liner is handy

Cheaper w/ plastic shield: Modkat Litter Tray, Includes Scoop and Reusable Liner - White https://a.co/d/cTUy1Uf

All-in-one: Modkat Flip Litter Box Includes Scoop and Reusable Liner - White https://a.co/d/1TRUVyg

Edit: on a re-read it might not be wide enough for you but their ad copy specifically says it’s good for side peers

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 19, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

melon cat posted:

Any suggestions for a high-sided litterbox (14")? We're looking to adopt a cat who has an unconventional way of peeing- pees horizontally like a spraying male. I've checked out HD and hardware stores for storage totes that can be modified into a litterbox. Found a potential Rubbermaid tote that might work, but the problem is most storage totes are either: high sided and narrow OR low-sided and wide. I need wide and high-sided. And it needs to be uncovered as our existing cats don't like to use enclosed litterbins.

? Just a plain ole storage box won't do the job?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This might be a super stupid question but

If I get a bonded pair of cats then they won't ignore me and just socialize with each other, right?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If the place you adopt them from says that they're friendly to humans, they should not ignore you once they're settled in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

khy posted:

If I get a bonded pair of cats then they won't ignore me and just socialize with each other, right?

Totally dependent on the cats in question, but most bonded pairs I've seen also crave human attention.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

? Just a plain ole storage box won't do the job?

As I said in my comment above:

quote:

most storage totes are either: high sided and narrow OR low-sided and wide.

Basically I'm kind of looking for a unicorn tote. Also a lot of totes in local stores have intricate channels etched on the bottom, which makes it annoying to properly scoop out and clean dirty litter.

morestuff posted:

It’s expensive but I got a ModKat litter box which has a convertible top. Very good construction and the liner is handy

This isn't bad- I'll look into this. Thanks for the link.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 19, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

khy posted:

They'll probably cuddle together when it's cold, but honestly it's really cat dependent. As long as the place you're adopting from says they like humans you should be fine

Can you go spend some time with them ahead of time maybe?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

melon cat posted:

As I said in my comment above:

Basically I'm kind of looking for a unicorn tote. Also a lot of totes in local stores have intricate channels etched on the bottom, which makes it annoying to properly scoop out and clean dirty litter.

Oh, sorry! I don't really know what a "tote" is, I thought it was a kind of bag.

What do you mean by "narrow", though? As in, you specifically want something that's squarish? That box I posted is longer than it is wide, but it's still a good 50-60cm wide.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, sorry! I don't really know what a "tote" is, I thought it was a kind of bag.

What do you mean by "narrow", though? As in, you specifically want something that's squarish? That box I posted is longer than it is wide, but it's still a good 50-60cm wide.

Tote, storage bin. Same things! :)

By narrow I mean the bins I have found are too small, width-wise. My old cats need room to turn around when burying their pee and poo, especially if the litter bin walls are going to be a foot high.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

melon cat posted:

Tote, storage bin. Same things! :)

By narrow I mean the bins I have found are too small, width-wise. My old cats need room to turn around when burying their pee and poo, especially if the litter bin walls are going to be a foot high.

For what it's worth, that box tote I'm using gives my fellas plenty of turning room. But if there aren't any wide enough where you are then there aren't any wide enough where you are!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

khy posted:

My lap, super warm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well I'll be!

For the hell of it, I decided to try my UV torch on my cat carrier, which James definitely peed in on the way back from the vet, and which definitely still smells like pee even to me.

Ordinary torch:

UV torch:

There's a small but very definite patch of blue!