Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

socialsecurity posted:

Also part of the reason people play OW2 is to get away from one shot headshot sniper instant deaths that plague many other FPSs, Widowmaker is just the new generation of AWPers in a game even less designed to accept that.

Good news! The Valentine's Day LTE is 4v4 Hanzo-only with the return of Scatter Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Scatter Arrow, Hanzo only, Final Destination

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

comedyblissoption posted:

people just really hate sniper archetypes in video games b/c it usually involves changing the way you normally play to deal with it

i'm personally fine w/ snipers if they have a bunch of other disadvantages to go along w/ it which widow usually does in ow. sojourn is an example of a sniper archetype that doesn't come with the 'sniper' disadvantages

It's not even that, it just feels like they're either completely destroying your team or non-existent.

I don't think i've ever had a game where i've gone up against a widow and come away going "you know, that was a fun match for both teams". I have the same sort of reaction to ball, or last seasons constant "play orisa and touch eachother" meta.

I miss dive.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i wish the best ball counters hadnt been changed to not really counter him anymore because i love playing ball and i want him to be powerful but if hes as oppressive as he seems rn theyre going to hit him with nerf bat. it feels great to force the enemy to switch strategy to punish you but they dont seem to like that as a design ethos for ow2 which imo is a mistake

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Is there any counter to Ball? Junk’s trap maybe? He’s so drat slippery.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Blizzard doesn't put matchmaking in arcade?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The Midniter posted:

im gold so take this with a grain of salt but depending on map the most frustrating thing for me is the mei wall. Not much else slows me down except the rest of my team getting wiped because im not confirming kills or being annoying enough. between this and the rein firestrike buff this is my season to hard slam tank for sure

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

The Midniter posted:

Sombra hack and Ana sleep dart

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Brig and Lucio's access to low coolown knockback effects also can really mess with Ball's momentum, a knockback when he's swinging toward you on a grapple can just completely stuff his engage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Junk Trap, Mei Wall, Hog Hook, Ana Dart.
Anything that stops him kills him.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

+1 to all the suggestions, anything that disrupts movement works. Symm turrets do ok but required setup. Mccree and his incredible burst damage also does pretty well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I played a little bit of the Loverwatch dating sim and it's surprisingly funny.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
A widow player complaining that people go out of their way to kill them is something lol. No poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, that thing about them adding extra clauses into the matchmaker to balance tanks was a total lie.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
I play a fair bit of Ball, probably high plat + low diamond.

Counters that don't seem to work (from the perspective of the Ball player):
  • Mei's annoying but doesn't really stop you. I wouldn't play her for Ball unless you can headshot semi-reliably with right-clicks on squishies and the map is favorable (ie control points to lock down with your ult, or chokepoints you can wall off).
  • Sombra does pathetic damage, her hack duration was heavily nerfed (only 1-1.5s for ability lockout), and Ball teams don't usually group up for good EMPs. Needs a burst tank that can quickly follow-up on the hacked Ball, like Dva.
  • Junkrat's a joke, don't play him unless you're a cracked one-trick or the map has extremely narrow chokes (eg Lijiang Night Market). He has a big head hitbox and feels incredibly easy to shoot to death when not pocketed by a healer.
  • Symmetra turrets only really works against Ball on enclosed control points, where she's already generically good

Counters that seem to work:
  • Lucio is probably the biggest pain in the rear end because he helps his team chase you down after CC. His boops are disruptive and too low of a cooldown to play around (unlike Ana sleep).
  • Dva's also a pain in the rear end, she can get to you fast and pump out a ton of burst damage with the missiles.
  • A good Brig is annoying, but they're so drat rare. Team has to play around her, doesn't have strong heals. Easy to shoot to death from behind (ball team in front, ball from behind).
  • McCree's damage reduction on roll makes him difficult to dive, and he has a ton of burst damage with the grenade and point-blank fan the hammer. As a ball player, I stay as far from him as possible and can only engage with big shields.
  • Ana sleep darts. Ball has to play around her cooldown or juke the darts. Teams aren't always in a position to capitalize on the sleep (either focusing Ball or murdering his teammates while he's sleeping).
  • Zen discord orb. Either the ball is gonna die or Zen is. Requires a good Zen + responsive 2nd support, but even the 2nd support isn't enough if the enemy team is playing tracer/genji and diving with ball.

There's no one thing that's going to shut down a good Ball player on a favorable map with stairways (easy slams), narrow chokes (easy rolls), and easily accessed mega-health packs. Your team usually needs to commit minimum 2 heroes to shut him down (eg Dva + Sombra) and converge on him the second he engages. It's often not worth the trouble, and you're better off just pressuring his team before he can murder your healers.

van fem fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 14, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm a big agree on sombra being useless against ball.

Her damage isn't good enough for the rest of the game and even if I hack ball right before he slams into the team he can usually roll away.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm a QP scrub because I can't be bothered grinding Comp, so every time I sleep ball he just gets woken up and rolls away. Even if I anti him, he just nopes out faster than he can be dealt with.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm a QP scrub because I can't be bothered grinding Comp, so every time I sleep ball he just gets woken up and rolls away. Even if I anti him, he just nopes out faster than he can be dealt with.

Yeah, can't nerf him soon enough for my tastes. He's just too drat immortal for such mobility.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Are there any effective counters to a beam-heavy team like Zarya, Sym, Mei, Moira, [support #2]? I ran into this as a tank and no matter who I switched to I got ruthlessly microwaved.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is their whole team running at you together? This is probably more of a "you should do it back" thing than a "you need to be a certain tank" thing.

Like, Rein should be able to run through a team like that by just murdering the sym while also being pocketed, but if they're running 5 people at you with the express purpose of killing you and your team isn't doing it back, you're gonna lose, i'd swap to winston or something and try to divide their attention.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

The Midniter posted:

In addition to the other Wrecking Ball counters that others have mentioned, I find that a charge from Reinhardt will shut down his momentum really quickly.

Dick Jones posted:

Are there any effective counters to a beam-heavy team like Zarya, Sym, Mei, Moira, [support #2]? I ran into this as a tank and no matter who I switched to I got ruthlessly microwaved.
I'm a Silver on my best day, so grain of salt, but I usually try to counter this with mobility-oriented characters. One of my go-to characters is Winston, and if I'm being crowded by Mei, for instance, I'll drop a shield to create a sort of cage around her, jump away, ping her, and peck at her with my alt fire until my teammates start giving her attention. The combination of Winston's leap and bubble means that he can effectively be in two places at once.

I might also try to use Zarya's barriers if I or a teammate is getting crowded a lot. The fact that she can use two self barriers in a row or two projected barriers in a row, depending on who's the one being microwaved, makes her a lot more versatile than in OW1.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mercy healing is kind of bananas on tanks now

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

As a non-Mercy player (usually not, anyway), I love the changes. Previously a good Mercy was just an unkillable damage boost. Now she is killable but is far more impactful. A well executed ult can be used defensively to save the team in a rough spot. Not sure the exact numbers if she can help the team tank a Bob or Reaper ult, but she can definitely help win some teamfights.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As usual, everything in Overwatch 2 is broken, even more so when it comes to matchmaking.

Also, Sigma's tank passive is not working at all.

EDIT:

"For context our changes were all super cool improvements, if you ignore the part where the basically functionality is non-existent."

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 15, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

"For context our changes were all super cool improvements, if you ignore the part where the basically functionality is non-existent."

My guess is that the system got too focused on matching individual roles together so there'd be a couple of Gold tanks wondering what the gently caress is going on

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i've noticed that a ton of my tanks (the angrier, shittier ones) are trying to survive in masters lobbies when they're sat in gold.

It's pretty funny. They'll get told to play slightly safer and stop breaking LOS and they'll just start screaming down the mic.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Trip report:

Ball is in a very powerful position right now. Idk if it's because hitscsn is the meta or if the introduction of robot maps gave or maybe it's the buffs. Probably all three.

Played three tank games last night, and ended up swapping to ball on two of them and won them both. The new pile-driver timer is perfect for reengagement, the shields were less useful than I thought they'd be because healers were happy to get ult charge when I came back to them.

Edit: some context, I've played ball up to mid diamond before but am wildly out of practice. He still did well.

I do wonder how much of his power comes from teams not knowing how to handle him.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 15, 2023

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the Hazno TDM is somehow the best seasonal event so far lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

Yeah i've noticed that a ton of my tanks (the angrier, shittier ones) are trying to survive in masters lobbies when they're sat in gold.

It's pretty funny. They'll get told to play slightly safer and stop breaking LOS and they'll just start screaming down the mic.
rule #2 never backseat game [it almost never works out!]

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This changes higher up. You tell a masters/gm player that you're struggling to help them and ask them to change how hard they engage, most of them will listen (even if they're rude about it).

Meanwhile you tell someone in gold or whatever that they should stop charging around the corner using all their cooldowns while none of you have LOS and they'll just mald and throw.

Edit:

Realtalk tho make junker queens knife a mini hack. Have it pull ball out of his roll form. It's already really hard to hit him, lets punish him for letting it happen.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 15, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Realtalk tho make junker queens knife a mini hack. Have it pull ball out of his roll form. It's already really hard to hit him, lets punish him for letting it happen.

That could be a whole category of tank ability. Winston and doom's landing, orisa's jav (if pinned).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I went like, 3-17 on my last 20 matches. Decided that maybe today the matchmaker decided to stop hating me.

First round we stomped them easily. Second round one of our supports "stole" Moira pick from the other support and the other support threw a fit and AFKed the whole match, leading to yet another loss.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i set my goal as like trying to get better at mechanics or some aspect of the game

youre guaranteed to get huge loss streaks from just variance alone

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
never underestimate the combination of variance giving you a loss streak and then turbo tilting from that into twice as many losses

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That win 3 as 3 is such a dumb goddamn weekly and the counter doesn't help poo poo. It doesn't even track the individual wins on each role. It only counts up if you win them in groups. So you have to win as tank, dps and support in order for it to count up.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

comedyblissoption posted:

i set my goal as like trying to get better at mechanics or some aspect of the game

youre guaranteed to get huge loss streaks from just variance alone

Yeah thats not true. If your matchmaker is correctly plotting out even probability of wins, the likelihood of going 0-5 over any stretch is just over 3% or 1 out of 33 for any stretch of 5 games. If you're observing 5 loss streaks or 6 loss streaks, something broke structurally (you could be personally be playing below expectation due to champ select or tired or playing on tilt, whatever). Especially in competitive.

Variance should not produce big win or loss streaks, so it's worth investigating when they happen. Individually it means you should figure out what's up with yourself and on dev side they should be monitoring the rate it's happening because it clearly shows something is not operating as expected.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think I also don't like the idea of being able to intuitively guess "this is going to be one I lose terribly with a DPS who goes 4-16, I just won three in a row" and be right

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
The last match I had before calling it last night had a dps Moira who, while the primalling Winston was solo focusing me around and around the point on Ilios Ruins, was following us holding succ on the Winston and doing no healing whatsoever. I think they had around 3.5K total heals by the end of three rounds.

This is the sort of thing that just completely breaks your spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Clusters are absolutely a normal part of random chance, and that completely ignores the human element like tilting on a bad game into another bad game.