Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dabir posted:

Blew my mind that Hot Rod is based on a real thing.

G1 and even G2 got real good at being based on super obscure and concept cars and poo poo, it was wild. Like we got a Delorean transformer with Swindler in the Micromaster line, the other Micromasters are largely based on real cars, the G2 Stormtroopers are all concept cars, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

This worries me.

To my knowledge none of the TFTM Autobots' car modes were based on anything real (aside from Magnus's tractor section, of course) but Classics Hot Rod is a Dome Zero

Fun note: the Zero, like so many 70s/80s wedgemobiles including the Countach, had the engine right behind the driver. So who knows what that thing poking out of Rod's hood is.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 14, 2023

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think Mirage's head is pretty close (at least to the first trailer lol) but how come the panels on his chest aren't tilted?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phy posted:

To my knowledge none of the TFTM Autobots' car modes were based on anything real (aside from Magnus's tractor section, of course) but Classics Hot Rod is a Dome Zero

Fun note: the Zero, like so many 70s/80s wedgemobiles including the Countach, had the engine right behind the driver. So who knows what that thing poking out of Rod's hood is.
I guess it's a hot rodded Dome Zero?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah obviously it's that, my point was more that no mechanic or engineer in their right mind would move the engine out front (in front of the wheels no less) if it were an actual car

but the toy designers had an image to maintain, because you know that if they'd put the engine block out back there'd have been even more people crapping on Classics HR than already do

I can square it with myself by deciding that space aliens aren't always paying the closest attention to detail

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Well, Hot Rod is also from the future - who's to say what those crazy car manufacturers will do in the far off year of 2005.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Obviously they had to move the engine out the front so that the exhausts would fit after the whole assembly needed to be moved so they could fit the giant spoiler on there.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Fun fact, Rodimus Prime vehicle mode was based off a real concept, and it was NOT a winnebago as commonly said

1965 GM Bison prototype

The back part? That's where the turbine was. Yes it was turbine powered!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

The way people are going on, you'd think Jazz was the only Transformer whoever turned into a porsche. Cliffjumper and Nightbeat who?
I'm more surprised people are still expecting the movie characters to tie into any existing characters. You'd think everyone would have learned by now.

Also to be fair, Cliffnumber is unrecognizable as a Porsche in either toy or cartoon form.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Last Call posted:

Fun fact, Rodimus Prime vehicle mode was based off a real concept, and it was NOT a winnebago as commonly said

1965 GM Bison prototype

The back part? That's where the turbine was. Yes it was turbine powered!

I will be god damned! Got a link to the thread? I checked tfwiki and the guy who designed Rodimus and Hot Rod both is still around and working, so he could probably answer as to whether this thing was a truly a design inspiration, or if he just happened to approach it by accident by sticking the front half of Hot Rod into the back half of a Winnebago

But check this out, from here https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/31891-the-gas-turbine-general-motors-%E2%80%9Cbison-iii%E2%80%9D/ :

The turbines are actually in the pod on the top, so having a little car thing undock from the Winnebago has some grounding in reality

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought Rodimus was just an extrapolation off Japanese semis.

Kup I think reminds me of a Subaru Brat. Very different front though. Also reminds me of one of the few gripes I had with Titans Return was how the realistic vehicles had single middle seats instead of two side by side.

Of the other movie characters, Arcee translates pretty easy to a normal car. Springer doesn't look like any car or helicopter ever made or that will ever be made. Blurr probably would be some kind of non-street-legal racing vehicle, and Wheelie's too small to be a real car.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kup I think reminds me of a Subaru Brat. Very different front though. Also reminds me of one of the few gripes I had with Titans Return was how the realistic vehicles had single middle seats instead of two side by side.

Of the other movie characters, Arcee translates pretty easy to a normal car. Springer doesn't look like any car or helicopter ever made or that will ever be made. Blurr probably would be some kind of non-street-legal racing vehicle, and Wheelie's too small to be a real car.

That top pic is literally thunderclash

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Wheelie is a Renault Twizy, except from 25 years before they were invented.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wheelie is one of those little single person pedal cars

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

SlothfulCobra posted:

At this time Transformers was still created in the States with the animation shipped overseas. Designs weren't done in Japan at that time minus the originally created diaclones which then got alterations and redesigns to make them easier to draw/animate or you know, have actual heads.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Some great names here but also some confusing ones.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Studio Core Class Rumble (Blue) already is out though... unless this is Studio Core Class Rumble (Red)

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
There's very clearly some misnaming with some of those, some of those MV6 have to SS86 figures. If so I'm curious how they'll handle SS86 Megatron, I wouldn't mind a non-transforming figure with some nice option parts or maybe removable plating to show him mid reformat

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

The MSJ posted:

drrockso20 posted:

Wheelie is one of those little single person pedal cars

Wheelie as a Shriner car makes sense, his heads sorta shaped like a fez...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The MSJ posted:

I guess we're finally getting Mohawk? Maybe a reissue of Rumble since he's so hard to find?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah what's up with SS86 Rumble not showing up anywhere?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Other posted:

There's very clearly some misnaming with some of those, some of those MV6 have to SS86 figures. If so I'm curious how they'll handle SS86 Megatron, I wouldn't mind a non-transforming figure with some nice option parts or maybe removable plating to show him mid reformat

Bumblebee movie Rumble is likely just a Beastbox that fits inside Soundwave so it's doable. There's also concept art of Bumblebee movie Megatron they can use.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Dabir posted:

Yeah what's up with SS86 Rumble not showing up anywhere?

Can't have people buy the toys they're looking for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean, Amazon.co.uk have him at a 50% markup from Amazon themselves, and you can pay like £30 for him on Ebay if you want :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, and every other current Core class is on shelves in Forbidden Planet for like £12. What's happened to Rumble that that isn't possible, did they lose another shipping container? Is that where all the R.E.D. Shockwaves are?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My gut says scalpers. He's going to be the one that literally everyone wants after all.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
For what it's worth I saw a fresh wave in the Seattle area within the last week. So they are still showing up. I'd offer to pick one up for someone but I'm currently out if town. Maybe if Targets in Hawaii have some.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I finally found core class Ratchet the other day at a Walmart (along with a voyager Scrapheap! this guy owns) but I can't find a core class Rumble (blue) for the life of me. I've spied Wheelie and DotM Laserbeak at stores, along with the sole Ratchet that I scooped up, but not Rumble. And I'm sure as poo poo not paying some scalper something like $25 for one on Amazon or wherever

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Looks like BBTS is expecting get more in, they have him available for preorder.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/222685

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got Tarn today, very pleasing figure although the robot mode is kind of flat. As in literally flat, he's almost the same thickness ankle to head. I feel like the chest plate/plow could have been extended to address that, but it still does the job of being a toy of that guy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got Tarn today, very pleasing figure although the robot mode is kind of flat. As in literally flat, he's almost the same thickness ankle to head. I feel like the chest plate/plow could have been extended to address that, but it still does the job of being a toy of that guy

No but that's really cool, it shows how slick and kibble free he is. We got so used to backpacks

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The MSJ posted:

Leader Class Swoop better have no gaps (forearms, calves, etc) in either mode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sludge, Snarl, and Slug were pretty gapless or close to gapless so I expect Swoop to follow in that pattern.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yeah, all of the dinobots have been absolutely rock solid and pretty gapless. Sludge is the only one that comes close, iirc, with the one big gap on the bottom of the front half of his dino mode body, where they put the gun storage, but even then, it's pretty obscured by his body and front legs and is deal-with-able imo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Grimlock is missing some teeth and forearm fillers but yeah. They're big voluminous chonky boys.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Hopefully the dino head issue is just in totally legit copies

https://youtu.be/Wbio-AGMEL4

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/terra810/status/1626462711197609984

Woof, those feet.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Special guest designer: Rob Liefeld

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I was going to say energon arcee looked a lot better than that, but then I looked up some pics and no she did not.

Still could have done the feet better though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
My wife drew me a grimlock for Valentines