Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Well, got the new machine onto the network. It's a refurbed HP SFF machine with an i7-8700. I threw 64 gigs of RAM into it, along with a raided set of SDDs for Proxmox with an nvme drive for VMs. I have another SSD I wanna drop in there for some extra storage but I need to get another 3.5->2.5 conversion kit. I also may grab a low-profile nvidia card for passthrough purposes just in case I ever need it. I feel I've overbuilt for my current use case, but my other hobbies are cheap so gently caress it.

I migrated my VM that has all my docker containers over to the new machine and upped its resources, and I think I'm going to clone my PiHole VM to have a backup DNS on the network. I also picked up a refurbed APC UPS that I need to get configured.

The next windmill I may tilt at is setting up some publicly accessible services for friends and extended family. I'm thinking stuff like a Foundry-VTT server, a hosted game server if those are still things, etc. I'm guessing the way to do that in a manner that doesn't expose my home network is either Tailscale invites with really specific IP/port access (did this with my wife for Plex) or a vlan that hosts the public-facing stuff? The latter is a very different ball of wax for me, so I'm not sure it's a path I want to travel just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

I need to get another 3.5->2.5 conversion kit.
That is a funny term for cramming a drive wherever it fits with double sided tape.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

CopperHound posted:

That is a funny term for cramming a drive wherever it fits with double sided tape.

The thought definitely crossed my mind. I've had a weird desire to not take shortcuts on these builds, which is wildly out of character for me. What's annoying is the bays in the HP are built with those rubber spacers in mind to make it easier to swap drives in and out, but also makes the conversion trays I got not work since they didn't come with those types of screws.

In a three-quarter-assed move, I'll probably just slot in the conversion kit and drive. At least it'll be somewhat secure and it's not like I'm moving the machine around.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CopperHound posted:

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Question for you all about DNS/reverse proxy solutions. I currently have a k3s cluster of raspberry pis running Home Assistant, among other things. I'm managing the cluster via a portainer container on my Synology NAS. At the moment my HA container is doing host networking to open a port on the host it's scheduled to but I'd like to find a good dns solution so I don't need to know the host it is scheduled to.

I can set up an ingress into my cluster but need to resolve it to a static external ip like a locally hosted load balancer. I'd like to avoid port forwarding all my port 80/443 traffic through a reverse proxy. Mostly worried about internet speed degredation.

I was wondering if I could set up a local DNS server as my primary DNS server on my router to do split-brain DNS. I could run the local DNS server on my NAS and have it resolve an external load balancer or reverse proxy that my cluster ingress can point to. Not entirely sure what options to use for the local DNS server. I know the synology has some type of DNS server functionalitu or I can run something like pihole in a container.

Also, since port 80 and 443 are already bound on my NAS, I think I would have to set up macVLAN for any reverse proxy running on the NAS? That should let an nginx proxy container listen externally to http/https traffic without conflicting with bound ports on the NAS?

Always avoided complex networking so not sure if I'm muddling anything here. I'd definitely appreciate input.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
What do you mean by internet speed degredation?

Personally I run Adguard home in a container for local DNS and this will let you add your domains to point to a local address using filters and give you a nice GUI (and adblocking). I imagine pihole offers the same too. Externally everything else hits CloudFlare proxy then my reverse proxy for stuff like Overseerr and bitwarden.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

Aware posted:

What do you mean by internet speed degredation?

Personally I run Adguard home in a container for local DNS and this will let you add your domains to point to a local address using filters and give you a nice GUI (and adblocking). I imagine pihole offers the same too. Externally everything else hits CloudFlare proxy then my reverse proxy for stuff like Overseerr and bitwarden.

I don't want to see my throughput negatively affected by running things through a proxy.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 13, 2023

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

BedBuglet posted:

I don't want to see my throughput negatively affected by running things through a proxy.

You won't. HomeAssistant is never going to push enough data that it overwhelms something like Traefik. I have HomeAssistant running on Docker with a Traefik reverse proxy in front to handle the SSL and it's solid. Kubernetes is functionally no different aside from having distributed networking and control plane.

As cumbersome as the setup may seem, the Traefik process itself is very lightweight and the type of routing it does is no more resource-intensive than iptables masquerading, which Kubernetes is already doing under the hood to power the cluster networking.

If you really don't want something sitting in front of HA, you might look into MetalLB which can assign an external IP to a service and use gratuitous ARP to advertise it to the rest of the network. If the service isn't running on the speaker node, it just routes to the correct host through the native K8s cluster networking.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BedBuglet posted:

I was wondering if I could set up a local DNS server as my primary DNS server on my router to do split-brain DNS. I could run the local DNS server on my NAS and have it resolve an external load balancer or reverse proxy that my cluster ingress can point to. Not entirely sure what options to use for the local DNS server. I know the synology has some type of DNS server functionalitu or I can run something like pihole in a container.

I followed this guide to setup AdGuard + Unbound and my queries average 2-3 ms.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
anybody have any good guides for freepbx?

I have a SIP trunk number, I just can't find any good guides and am completely clueless

trying to set up something like emergency oates, for context 719-26-OATES

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What is the goto for media streaming to the TV? I've been using UMS on my PC for years to stream to my webOS TV, but I'm starting to think I could probably just move my media onto my NAS and stream via my server. Usually don't need to transcode anyway.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I have a SIP trunk number, I just can't find any good guides and am completely clueless

The one person I talked to when I was looking at it said use Asterisk instead. I don't know how much that's worth though. If I go further down this VoIP path I'll post to the thread. Need to roll my own router first though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

e.pilot posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1fn6oC5ndU_umAhL9A_1zkC90hMPDPNO

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

SEKCobra posted:

What is the goto for media streaming to the TV? I've been using UMS on my PC for years to stream to my webOS TV, but I'm starting to think I could probably just move my media onto my NAS and stream via my server. Usually don't need to transcode anyway.

Plex and Jellyfin are the two biggest self-hosted streaming platforms at the moment.

Plex is commercial software, but is still free and very easy to get started with. The mobile apps cost money, but there is a paid tier that also unlocks them. It has better app support across pretty much every mobile and smart TV platform. Plex has a cloud service to enable remote streaming from your server, but it's also capable of running completely isolated, too, so best of both worlds really.

Jellyfin is open source, but is lagging a bit on app support because of that. It's not a bad option, but my experience is that Plex is closer to "just works" in just about every respect.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://buildarr.github.io/

It's not ready yet, but this looks interesting. Do all your Arr config from one app with YML.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is *arr stack config that elaborate for people? It’s like 10 minutes and change, less if you throw recyclarr at it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

Is *arr stack config that elaborate for people? It’s like 10 minutes and change, less if you throw recyclarr at it.

Single point of backup for all your config. I guess 2 with Recyclarr.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I don't understand the point of radarr sonarr and the others. Why does anyone use them?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't understand the point of radarr sonarr and the others. Why does anyone use them?

To automate :filez: downloads and make an automatically populating plex library as episodes of shows or movies are released.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

https://buildarr.github.io/

It's not ready yet, but this looks interesting. Do all your Arr config from one app with YML.
Ah, so it's finally approaching flexget.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Nitrousoxide posted:

To automate :filez: downloads and make an automatically populating plex library as episodes of shows or movies are released.

It also makes library cleanup and standardization easier. So if you have a ton of rips but never standardized how they were named or organized it's a godsend. Way better than manually renaming every episode of a TV show so Plex recognizes it

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
makes sense, thanks

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flexget for library management, standardization and cleanup combined with what was then called xbmc was quite popular back in the day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Flexget for library management, standardization and cleanup combined with what was then called xbmc was quite popular back in the day.

I rocked the original XBMC on my modded xbox. that setup was so far ahead of its time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Radarr/Sonarr is great for "tracking" upcoming show and movie releases that you're looking forward to, but yeah, their main purpose is automatically grabbing TV shows/movies from usenet. You can even have it automatically upgrade your files as newer versions get added by the scene.

Hell, we have access to most streaming services through account sharing, and I still tend to add most movies/tv shows to Radarr/Sonarr for Trakt watch list syncing.

Having a unified system for *arr services would be great as more versions are developed - ones for audiobooks, books, comics, etc. I like using Prowlarr for most of my syncing, currently.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 15, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm self hosting a freepbx container now, give it a call

1-408-709-4378

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My call is unimportant? You don't appreciate my patience? Rude

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Idgaf, rocking out to the hold music

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

Idgaf, rocking out to the hold music

I've installed enough phone systems to know what system people used based on the hold music unless it's something custom.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I'm self hosting a freepbx container now, give it a call

1-408-709-4378

Lmao. I'm the Australian number that dialed in.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've installed enough phone systems to know what system people used based on the hold music unless it's something custom.

There is only one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9Ga4XFTxc

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

:haibrow:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have previews turned off and haven't clicked the link yet, but if this isn't Opus No. 1 by Tim Tarleton then I'm gonna be very disappointed.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
What are people's backup strategies with self hosting stuff with Docker, do you stop containers before backing up their volumes/folders?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hogofwar posted:

What are people's backup strategies with self hosting stuff with Docker, do you stop containers before backing up their volumes/folders?

yeah my containers all stop at 3am on monday and backup to a server that lives in my shed as a faux offsite

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hogofwar posted:

I don't. I just do a live backup using dupliciti every evening. One locally to my NAS and one in an S3 storage provider(Backblaze in my case).

I've used the backup several times and it's worked great.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I probably should schedule the containers to stop but I just point Duplicati at /containers (where all my docker volumes are) and it just tars it all up and dumps it on Google drive. I've never tested to see if I can point a container at the volume and have it work but I'm more concerned with getting my config files off for the app if anything. In any case I have versioning and keep multiple backups so one of em will work.

Actually, I have tested before. I had a container that I somehow lost its configuration or something and I restored the volume from duplicati and it worked fine

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Resdfru posted:

I probably should schedule the containers to stop but I just point Duplicati at /containers (where all my docker volumes are) and it just tars it all up and dumps it on Google drive. I've never tested to see if I can point a container at the volume and have it work but I'm more concerned with getting my config files off for the app if anything. In any case I have versioning and keep multiple backups so one of em will work.

Actually, I have tested before. I had a container that I somehow lost its configuration or something and I restored the volume from duplicati and it worked fine

I do live backups for databases like Nextcloud too. Probably not ideal for that but it's not corrupted on me yet on a restore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I rocked the original XBMC on my modded xbox. that setup was so far ahead of its time.

I miss XBMC. No "libraries", no debating whether something is a "TV show" or a "movie", no naming scheme or album art, just browse a SMB file share and see all the files and folders that are in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

~Coxy posted:

I miss XBMC. No "libraries", no debating whether something is a "TV show" or a "movie", no naming scheme or album art, just browse a SMB file share and see all the files and folders that are in it.

It still exists, just is named UMS now.