Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Anyone who has ever read three issues of Aaron's Avengers run and three issues of the current Moon Knight run have all they need to know about who should write Avengers. As a big Aaron fan, I feel like after the Death of Jane Foster arc ended and Thor became Thor again his work just hasn't done anything for me. I like a lot about the current Avengers book in theory but it just isn't good. I like the idea of a good team book but it just mostly doesn't work historically either.

Thinking about it since the announcement, I am actually pretty excited to see what Mackay can do with this plain rear end team. It's all the big guys you would expect to be in the book, and honestly a skillfully executed version of something straightforward that doesn't need to rely on wacky gimmicks is how you produce something that is an Avengers touchstone for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I think that's just the nature of the beast with team books, which generally ignore a lot of developments in other characters' solo books (unless they happen to lead into events!) which might distract from team stuff. Like for instance Black Panther (hey it's him again!) spent a long-rear end time in space but never left the Avengers at all. No matter what's going on in Wolverine's solo book he can appear on like 3 different X-Men teams whenever they need him.

Yeah, we're far from the Shooter days when they rigorously tried to keep this stuff straight but there were probably fewer books to keep straight, too.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I can't believe I'm enjoying a Spidey book staring Norman Osborne more than the main Spider-Man book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dawgstar posted:

The writer of characters with recent movies and Disney+ series? Not really.

“Aren’t fringe like they used to be”

My image of those characters is still in the 70’s and 80’s.

Besides Black Cat, Vulpes seems to be the “We got a movie/tv show/toyline featuring this character: Write a book about it.” guy. Don’t know if this has anything to do with him being put on Avengers.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Keep in mind that the only reason their status as aliens matters is due to the strict "Don't kill humans" law of Krakoa. Absent that, Magik tends to fall into the Wolverine-like mind set of "Kill anyone who's trying to kill me." Which isn't exactly moral, but is understandable.

Nilbop posted:

Magik fits the modern interpretation of morally grey, in so much that she's just evil, but she's hot so everyone goes with it.

I have never liked Magik, even a little bit.

It's my understanding that, except for a period where she literally didn't have a soul, she tends to do mostly good, but views herself as evil due to a traumatic, demon filled childhood combined with prophecies of her turning into a demonic queen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

Don’t you speak that evil into existence, site!

a bad post deserved an equally bad response

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Magik went through a lot of trauma. She was kind of raised to be evil, but she tries to do good. It's kind of like a struggle with nature vs. nurture. She's not inherently a bad person but growing up in Limbo kind of messed with the perception of good and evil.

But she's fiercely loyal and will protect anyone from having to go though poo poo she went though.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's either a con or else tony and maria both suddenly became completely incompetent when they hadn't been throughout this story.

I really hope it's a con, because that would mean the Skrull from Squirrel Girl wasn't murdered. Would be a really awful ending for her.

That is some great art. Really excited for the book.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Anyone who has ever read three issues of Aaron's Avengers run and three issues of the current Moon Knight run have all they need to know about who should write Avengers. As a big Aaron fan, I feel like after the Death of Jane Foster arc ended and Thor became Thor again his work just hasn't done anything for me. I like a lot about the current Avengers book in theory but it just isn't good. I like the idea of a good team book but it just mostly doesn't work historically either.

I think the main problem with Aaron's run is that nothing feels like it has any weight to it. We careen from one world-destroying event to the next with no consequence. Khonshu took over New York off-panel. Starbrand grew up off-panel (twice). I genuinely missed the end to the whole Agent Coulson thing and it's never been referenced again. That's before we got into the extremely long arc about multiversal variants of established heros and villains getting destroyed by the dozens but resulting in nothing. It's just all bright, colorful sludge.

I appreciate Aaron wanting to go as big as he could, but I don't think he's a good fit for team books.

quote:

Thinking about it since the announcement, I am actually pretty excited to see what Mackay can do with this plain rear end team. It's all the big guys you would expect to be in the book, and honestly a skillfully executed version of something straightforward that doesn't need to rely on wacky gimmicks is how you produce something that is an Avengers touchstone for years to come.

I have so little interest in Sam and Vision, but I think Vision's problem is his design 60's-rear end design. He really needs the Carol treatment with a new costume.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nilbop posted:

I have so little interest in Sam and Vision, but I think Vision's problem is his design 60's-rear end design. He really needs the Carol treatment with a new costume.

I can’t disagree more. Keep him bright and candy colored

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t disagree more. Keep him bright and candy colored

We love our robotic pez dispenser, don't we folks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not Vision's original costume. It's certainly reminiscent of it, but it's different.

Anyway, it's good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Codependent Poster posted:

Magik went through a lot of trauma. She was kind of raised to be evil, but she tries to do good. It's kind of like a struggle with nature vs. nurture. She's not inherently a bad person but growing up in Limbo kind of messed with the perception of good and evil.

But she's fiercely loyal and will protect anyone from having to go though poo poo she went though.

Would a truly good person do this though?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

howe_sam posted:

Don’t threaten me with a good time.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

howe_sam posted:

That's the demon who gave Cameron Hodge eternal life, eventually resulting in the monstrosity below, among other sins. I feel like this is a light sentence considering.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I know Doctor Strange and Moon Knight aren’t fringe like they used to be, but it still feels like a leap for editorial to offer the writer of those books the Avengers.

Stern was writer for doctor strange before avengers

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
According to my local store, Vulpes's Strange has been a huge seller. If he's able to drive sales for a less prestigious character like Clea, it makes sense for Marvel to see what he can do with the Avengers.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So I gave the current Black Panther run a look after hearing it put some flaws in his persona and gave him a little bit of a depantsing and I'd be interested in hearing what the general fan reaction is? T'Challa has been on a pedestal for a long while now and he's getting it pretty hard in his book. I find it interesting, but I'm just a simple country hyper-chicken.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Him being mad about democracy is pretty good, and the newest issue is easily one of the best Namor appearances in years.

It's a pretty interesting take on Wakanda more than anything. The former monarch being grumpy he can't order his private death squads to instantly solve problems with no oversight is something I didn't know I wanted.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've been enjoying the current Black Panther run but, ye gods and little fishes, I loving hate the way Steve is portrayed in it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assume the Mouse is setting Vulpes up to mastermind the new hero of phase 6 of the MCU:

Bats the Ghost Hound.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's going to rush in and save Strange from that weird evil eye, then go on a walk after a nap.

It'll make a billions in the box office.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't remember if it was itt we were pining for more dauterman interiors

https://twitter.com/rdauterman/status/1625586474505887744?s=19

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The explanation of What Reed Did in FF this week is why you hire Ryan North to write the comic. Excellent mad science.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is Scarlet Witch a mini series or ongoing? It's an neat set up and I'm enjoying it but I don't know how much staying power it has.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Azubah posted:

Is Scarlet Witch a mini series or ongoing? It's an neat set up and I'm enjoying it but I don't know how much staying power it has.

I think it’s an ongoing - that’s what the Wikipedia page for current Marvel publications says at least

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's ongoing right up until it's announced that they stealth cancelled it two months ago and the last issue is about to come out like every other book they cancel

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

howe_sam posted:

The explanation of What Reed Did in FF this week is why you hire Ryan North to write the comic. Excellent mad science.

I was about to post something like that. That's exactly the kind of Sci-Fi nonsense Reed would come up with.
Hey Kevin Feige, I know you're reading this. Make Ryan North the head writer for the MCU Fantastic Four movie!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was about to post something like that. That's exactly the kind of Sci-Fi nonsense Reed would come up with.
Hey Kevin Feige, I know you're reading this. Make Ryan North the head writer for the MCU Fantastic Four movie!

Ryan also consulted with Chip Zdarsky to make Batman's fall from the moon seem at least a little plausible. Love that useful nerd!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

howe_sam posted:

They didn't wait for 19+ issues to explain it? Madness!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

howe_sam posted:

Hey, Aunt Petunia. I can't remember the last time I saw her show up in the comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The last time (and one of the few times) she appeared was only a few years ago.

In terms of actually appearing in comics as opposed to being mentioned, she didn't appear until the early 1980s when she showed up in two issues of Byrne's Fantastic Four (where it's revealed she's basically Johnny's age and married Ben's considerably older uncle when she was a "student nurse"). The joke is that Johnny is horny for her until he find out she's Aunt Petunia, mostly. She next appears twenty five years later for a single panel in the last issue of Dan Slott's Thing book when she's at Ben's bar mitzvah.

Then Mark Millar has THE MARQUIS OF DEATH incinerate her off panel to prove he's a very bad person. A few years later Matt Fraction's run has Ben Grimm travel back to the 1930s and it's implied an adult woman named Petunia might just be his aunt, though that obviously doesn't make any sense at all even if she was old as balls when Sliding Timescale Ben Grimm was a kid in the 1980s.

Dan Slott ignored absolutely all of that in his recently ended run, having Aunt Petunia show up for Ben and Alicia's wedding and be a) age-appropriate for both being Ben Grimm's aunt and her elderly doctor husband's wife b) not a pile of charred bones and c) not over 120 years old.

Can't say I really blame him for any of these choices. What will Ryan North opt for? A 25 year old? A 70 year old? A 150 year old? A talking pile of scorched remains? We shall see!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Recent Black Cat and MJ was pretty great and directly answered my suspicion about BC's bad luck powers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Kind of a dick move to make it Counter-Earth's problem, though.

I'm joking.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I read Marvel books through Unlimited so I'm 3 months back from current releases, and I just read FF #1.

Reed, Peter Parker, and Hulk. Did everyone just completely lose their poo poo in an off panel story preceding the current runs? Can't wait to read about how mad everyone is at Squirrel Girl, because 6 months ago she did something terrible and we'll find out in a few months to a year what that was. (she ate nuts and kicked butts too hard)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Dammit Marvel, stop teasing me and just put all of Quasar up on Unlimited!! I’m happy with the trickle the last few weeks but just put the rest up!!

Is Wendell Vaughn going to be in the next Guardians movie or something? As much as I love it going up (no matter how gradually), it’s odd that they’re adding a generally little-regarded series from 30 years ago on there

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lucifunk posted:

Can't wait to read about how mad everyone is at Squirrel Girl, because 6 months ago she did something terrible and we'll find out in a few months to a year what that was. (she ate nuts and kicked butts too hard)

"Doreen, no! You can't kick Eternity's butt!"
"WATCH ME"

*black holes open all over the place as Doreen kicks Eternity's rear end six ways to Sunday*

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GPTribefan posted:

Dammit Marvel, stop teasing me and just put all of Quasar up on Unlimited!! I’m happy with the trickle the last few weeks but just put the rest up!!

I'm just happy they're back to putting old stuff back up. Seemed like they stopped for a while.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lucifunk posted:

I read Marvel books through Unlimited so I'm 3 months back from current releases, and I just read FF #1.

Reed, Peter Parker, and Hulk. Did everyone just completely lose their poo poo in an off panel story preceding the current runs? Can't wait to read about how mad everyone is at Squirrel Girl, because 6 months ago she did something terrible and we'll find out in a few months to a year what that was. (she ate nuts and kicked butts too hard)

Fortunately, they've already revealed everything in this weeks issue #4. Only stretched that mystery out long enough to get the FF out of New York and have some couples/solo one shots.

Was late to this weeks issues, but really enjoyed everything on my pull list. Ryan really gets the Fantastic Four, and makes each one of them shine. Mary Jane and Black Cat remains unsurprisingly fun. Wasp #2 gave me all the Nadia kicking-butt I was hoping for (albeit with a concerning cliffhanger that in no way is going to stick). Iron Man, which I hopped on after finding out it would tie into some of Duggan's X-Men plots, has also been pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the reveal for ff was the perfect mix of smart, stupid, and good intentions. it's so very reed richards.