Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

the plot was always dumb, cowardly "both sides are bad the truth is in the middle here's a lighthouse so you can tell we're insightful" trash

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm not even sure he actually liked oranges. :derp:
Love Fanta, hate the supremacy of the Roman Pope. Simpel als.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Now is as near an opportunity as there ever was for Corbyn & the unions to move over to the greens. This has been your morning vibes based politics dumped here for everyone to pick apart the problems.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
All his ties are red ones.

And it's 4 in the afternoon.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If only it were the Land's end.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Aphex- posted:

British Gas are a producer (what you call extractor) as well as a supplier. Most suppliers are still on the same margins they were beforehand.

They can't actually be both. Centrica (who own British gas) are a producer.

The ability to do both was legally split to increase competition by stopping companies with production arms giving preferential treatment to themselves.

That allowed a bunch of smaller players to flood in who did some good things but are now all bust.

This is the glorious free market in action.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Now is as near an opportunity as there ever was for Corbyn & the unions to move over to the greens. This has been your morning vibes based politics dumped here for everyone to pick apart the problems.

Would be real interesting if Corbyn tries to join the Greens. I'm guessing they wouldn't even let him in

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If you haven't been to Land's End but get the opportunity to do so, don't bother, it's poo poo

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Rarity posted:

Would be real interesting if Corbyn tries to join the Greens. I'm guessing they wouldn't even let him in

I don’t think it’s a good idea anyway, but: when Starmer became leader and people started leaving Labour in their droves, the Greens released a statement that basically amounted to ‘if all you antisemites are thinking of coming here instead you can gently caress off’, so I wouldn’t count on it…

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If you haven't been to Land's End but get the opportunity to do so, don't bother, it's poo poo

Got a decent jumper from them once

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

Got a decent jumper from them once

I wonder if land's end gets a lot of jumpers. It looks high up from that photo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Jesus Christ, I know politicians tend to be either unpopular or unknown, but those are apocalyptically bad stats even by the standards of popularity polls.

It's less an issue of popularity as it is that Sturgeon has been the sun the SNP orbit. A lot of the time SNP & Sturgeon have basically meant the same thing (though amusingly she really never got pegged with Supreme Leader chat except maybe during the Salmond trial).

There's a reason the most prominent SNP politicians are at Westminster rather than Holyrood, her shadow doesn't stretch that far.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah just go 10 mins down the road to Porthcurno and be at the best beach in the UK (or don't because I don't want it to get any busier shh).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Yeah just go 10 mins down the road to Porthcurno and be at the best beach in the UK (or don't because I don't want it to get any busier shh).

Some good beaches in the Hebridies. loving cold a lot of the time but pristine & empty

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

forkboy84 posted:

Some good beaches in the Hebridies. loving cold a lot of the time but pristine & empty

Yeah the Hebridies are on my list of places to go, would love to do a bikepacking trip there!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Jesus Christ, I know politicians tend to be either unpopular or unknown, but those are apocalyptically bad stats even by the standards of popularity polls.

I think it's more of a combination of her not having had a '2nd in command' plus her resignation actually being quite surprising and so there's never been any "WHO WILL REPLACE STURGEON?" media narrative along with the fact that the UK wide political psychodrama still overshadows Holyrood in the news especially when it's been the clickbait clownshow we've experienced for the last few years. People just really don't pay attention to politicians unless they're being rammed down their throats by the news.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I've got no idea who's big in Holyrood apart from Sturgeon; for all I know, she's got various potential successors lined up already.

More generally, holy poo poo, politics is depressing right now. I had so much hope in Labour, and now it's firmly in the hands of those horrible shits, and we on the left let it happen like idiots. I'm probably going for Greens come the next election but I'm really feeling the lack of a forceful left wing party to support.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

better go camping in Scotland during the Spring before the landlords ban it there too I suppose

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

better go camping in Scotland during the Spring before the landlords ban it there too I suppose

Our laws of right to roam are law though

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It's less an issue of popularity as it is that Sturgeon has been the sun the SNP orbit. A lot of the time SNP & Sturgeon have basically meant the same thing (though amusingly she really never got pegged with Supreme Leader chat except maybe during the Salmond trial).

There's a reason the most prominent SNP politicians are at Westminster rather than Holyrood, her shadow doesn't stretch that far.

Sturgeon is the sun and also casts a shadow? Great metaphor work!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, not the best thread for this post

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Curveball from Abbot

https://twitter.com/thenewsagents/status/1625883538435235841?s=46&t=ee4bKDimwxKjCXj9Vstg8w

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hey you mentioned you were reading your way through Marvel comics. Are you using the Complete Marvel Reading Order? I spotted someone there called forkboy and they're in Scotland and also like pro wrestling :thunkher:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Any excuse to go and harass Jeremy outside his house

https://twitter.com/i_ammukhtar/status/1625899145817993223?s=46&t=ee4bKDimwxKjCXj9Vstg8w

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Cheeky bastards

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This isn't UKPol but it is Pol, and a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF1-1CNggQA

Australian YouTuber FriendlyJordies, who started as a comedy channel, has been doing some investigations and exposés on Australian politics, the gambling industry, and stuff like that, for a few years...

Then a few months ago, his house got firebombed. This is a vid about who might have done that and just generally explains some of the vids he's been making etc. and it's really good.

Makes me wish there were an equivalent person doing this poo poo and getting the same traction in the UK (minus the firebombing, ideally).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Rarity posted:

I wouldn't have thought they would either.

I went to the inner Hebrides on a yacht once. I'll never joke about Force 8 gales again. The plane of the boat deck was at 90 degrees to the plane of the sea. Scary. At least I was snug & dry in my £12 bright yellow plastic waterproofs but the people who had hired the boat (I was a hanger-on as the friend of their daughter) were all in expensive gear and were soaked through within minutes.

We went to Skye, Mull, Tiray, Rum where there was a 'summer only' hotel with a huge 'orchestrion' - huge organ pipes, played with cards with holes in (like pianolas) - one of only 3 ever made.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1625917913524731904?t=R4bLm_5Mi4qIZAUSTkno_A&s=19

Hmm.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1625918105439404033?t=BM2B_v6imi2aRbv2TVNS_Q&s=19

He's going to continue fighting in parliament?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shades of the 2016 Leadership election where he was on the ballot without needing nominations.

What's the process here? Does he actually have to be formally deselected by the CLP, or can the NEC override that because he doesn't have the whip?

Very funny if Starmer actually can't ban him from standing.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I'm pretty sure he can, the idea is probably that the local party will back Corbyn as candidate and the NEC would then have to go on record as formally overriding the democratic will of the party members and 'forcing' a guy who just wants to be loyal party MP to stand as an independent.

Of course given that Starmer's response to questions about 'what happens if Corbyn stands as an independent and is backed by groups affiliated with Labour' was

quote:

Asked whether he would put Momentum “on notice”, Starmer said: “Well, I have many powers and duties and responsibilities in the Labour party, but that one is not for me, I’m afraid. But look, whatever group or individual in the Labour party, I think the message from this morning couldn’t be clearer.

“This is an important day. It’s a day of reflection. The change that we brought about is substantial and it is permanent. The Labour party has changed. And if there’s anyone in the Labour party that does not like that change, then my message to them is very clear this morning: the door is open, and you can leave.”
...I think it's clear that they don't give a single poo poo about the optics or the democratic will of the local party, and luke akehurst is probably already cumming with anticipation as he pre-types the expulsion notices for anyone convicted of giving even the mildest pro-corbyn statement.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
New Labour: for when you want Tory policies with, uh, different faces?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The Labour Party can gently caress right off.
Don't know what I'll vote next GE but it won't be Labour (and defo not tory obviously). I'll take a gander at Green's or Plaid Cymru's offerings. Even though Labour are the only ones who can get the tories out round here. What's the point if you're going to be stuck with Tory IABNO.
And what's more I've never really liked the person who is going to be the Labour candidate so I won't feel lack of loyalty as I might if someone I actually liked was standing.

:bitingnoseofftospiteface:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

the NEC would then have to go on record as formally overriding the democratic will of the party members

The NEC are happy to do just about anything if they think they can make it happen and trampling all over candidate selections is one of their favourite pastimes.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

LAB -20 in the polls hopefully but that's wishful thinking.

I don't know who to vote for either, it's a poo poo show at this point with 2 predominant parties on the same side and voting for anyone else won't bring any significant changes for.. ages. If anyone has some spine left there will be a mass exodus from the party but spines are not abundant in Westminster.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's utterly depressing and demoralising because I live in a safe Tory seat (bad enough), but now don't want to vote for either of the parties that might have a tiny chance of kicking out my local creepy shithead because they're functionally Tories with different rosettes. (I'm guessing my local Labour candidate won't be a member of the SCG or Momentum, somehow...)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The continued conflation with antisemitism and anti-capitalism is just so cynical and racist. Might as well start saying that Jewish people are greedy little goblins like in JK Lovecraft's books, but Labour considers that a protected characteristic.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Fighting talk from Jez

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Shades of the 2016 Leadership election where he was on the ballot without needing nominations.

What's the process here? Does he actually have to be formally deselected by the CLP, or can the NEC override that because he doesn't have the whip?

Very funny if Starmer actually can't ban him from standing.

Starmer can move to have him punted from the party rather than just the PLP, and on any old spurious bullshit he wants. He has control of the NEC, he has a contempt for party democracy necessary to run roughshod like Corbyn never did because he's naive

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

so how does it work - he is removed from local office by ??? and then candidates to fill his vacancy apply to the NEC and get long listed and whittled down from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's fine, Starmer set precedent with Kim Leadbeater that you don't even need to be a properly vetted member of the party to run as the constituency candidate, so Corbyn could just join again and Islington North CLP could nominate him to run while the payment is still processing.