Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Huh?
https://www.discogs.com/digs/collecting/most-expensive-vinyl-records/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I THINK they mean "most expensive of that month".

What's the most y'all have ever paid?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
$100 bucks for a box set, a couple times. Sold two of them when I was hard up for 1400 and 1200. Certain fandoms get a little crazy.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
$120 was my max (bought an MFSL of Faith No More's Angel Dust in 2013 for my 21st bOH GOD IT'S BEEN TEN YEARS loving GOD WHY IS TIME SO CRUEL)

I see it's now going for $550. Holy poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
$50 for a mint Mercury classical record of Byron Janis playing a bunch of encore piano pieces

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Read After Burning posted:

I ended up placing a bet for $120 on eBay 'cause I didn't wanna get sniped (I think it started at around $50) and that's was as much as I was willing to pay. Someone did try to but it at last minute and it ended up being $62. Got it signed at Jimmy's first live performance in Texas after Dennis' death in 2012.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
50 for a mono copy of Bookends by Simon and Garfunkel.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh yeah I actually posted it earlier. Amazing how well these old Mercury recordings sound still

(the 35mm film thing is due to a brief period where Mercury was using magnetic 35mm cinema film as audio tape for the bigger size, and more consistent speed due to the sprocket holes)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 15, 2023

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So far, $50 for a vintage copy of the "Phantom of the Paradise" soundtrack off Ebay. That's about as much as I'm willing to drop on records at this point.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

$145 for a 'Red Eyes' version of Blink-182's 'Cheshire Cat'

that's the only one I could find reference for the price of sale, but I think I'm pretty good about not spending my own money wholly and usually flip a stack before I buy a pricier record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
For non-box sets I paid about $100 for that ‘68 white light/white heat I posted a few months ago.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Let's see, if we're talking individual albums, I paid around 200$ for a copy of Blue Chips by Action Bronson and Party Supplies.

"Box sets", I paid 350$ for the Less Than Jake pie tin. But I'm on a mission from god to have one of everything they've ever put out on vinyl, sooooooooo. I was also stoned at the time, ha.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'd pay $200 for Blue Chips, that's not bad considering how high I've seen the prices go.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah, I'm glad I snagged it when I did, I see some of those prices now and WHEW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I frequently get records for 10% of their worth unfortunately they're of the "$20 record sold in the $2 bin" variety

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I don't remember the most I've spent on a specific record, but it would be in the $60 range at most. I'm a cheap prick.

A fun game I like to play is going to my discogs collection and sorting by max then min value. I LOL at the rubes dropping hundos on poo poo I nicked for a few bucks 15 years ago. Like, I don't know who's out there dropping a C Note on Kool & The Gang's Ladies' Night but they exist and discogs has the ledger to prove it.

And then I LOL at myself for dropping cash on poo poo with literally no value. It's a fun game.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I buy a lot of vaporwave and as with most niche genres, it's always a :stare: seeing what some of my albums are going for second-hand.

I also feel :smug: because I bought one of the last copies of Army of the Pharaohs "Ritual of Battle" off the Target website, and now they're going for much more.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Don't recall paying more than $50 for any single album yet, most I've spent is $150 (or was it $200?) for a Rob Crow box set. Might drop more than that for a 12 album KGLW Red Rocks box, but undecided yet.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I paid $250 for a signed test pressing of the second Chvrches album, but at least the proceeds from the auction went to an academy for deaf students in the UK.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now I’m feeling shameful about my upcoming ~$170 purchase of some band’s 20th anniversary edition of their first album. It’s multi record and has demos of their early stuff on CD too. Linkin Park’s Hybrid Theory

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I almost bought that Radiohead Kid Amnesiac combo record which was retailing for $50, but I decided I didn't really like Amnesiac enough to want to spend that much.

According to my discogs, my most valuable records with the max value they've been sold at include the Red Dead Redemption 2 soundtrack at $115, Broken Social Scene You Forgot it In the People at $150, Jannele Monae Dirty Computer at $174, Gorillaz self titled at $172, Vampire Weekend Father of the Bride at $198, Washed Out Within and Without at $150, Bon Iver self titled at $200, and Beirut the Rip Tide at $130

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 15, 2023

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Nihonniboku posted:

According to my discogs, my most valuable records with the max value they've been sold at include the Red Dead Redemption 2 soundtrack at $115, Broken Social Scene You Forgot it In the People at $150, Jannele Monae Dirty Computer at $174, Gorillaz self titled at $172, Vampire Weekend Father of the Bride at $198, Washed Out Within and Without at $150, Bon Iver self titled at $200, and Beirut the Rip Tide at $130

I just did this and hooooooooo boy do I have some box sets that are going for well over what I paid retail for them. Why did a box set of the first six Star Wars soundtracks sell for over 500$?!?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nihonniboku posted:

I almost bought that Radiohead Kid Amnesiac combo record which was retailing for $50, but I decided I didn't really like Amnesiac enough to want to spend that much.

This is where Discogs reviews saved me because I was gonna to pull the trigger on that until I read about the widespread QC issues.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

esperantinc posted:

I just did this and hooooooooo boy do I have some box sets that are going for well over what I paid retail for them. Why did a box set of the first six Star Wars soundtracks sell for over 500$?!?

yeah i am considering selling a bunch of boxsets I dont even listen to (or listen to the extras) and buying a regular edition. I feel like all my boxset purchases were FOMO, in fact they definitely were.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I paid about $300 AUD ($200 USD) for that VG+/Ex- copy of selected ambient works vol II I posted upthread. I've spent pretty close to $200USD in the past but it was when the Australian dollar was close to parity so it didn't feel as bad

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

strap on revenge posted:

I paid about $300 AUD ($200 USD) for that VG+/Ex- copy of selected ambient works vol II I posted upthread. I've spent pretty close to $200USD in the past but it was when the Australian dollar was close to parity so it didn't feel as bad

Send me your address, I just wanna come rob you listen to it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think my most expensive purchase was one of my most recent as well - I gritted my teeth and gave Frank Ocean $65 for a copy of Blonde. It wasn't exactly a grail/white whale but I've been wanting that album for years so I was ok with paying the hilariously inflated price, especially knowing I could immediately turn it around and sell it for twice as much basically at any time.

I don't know, I guess there just isn't anything I've ever wanted so bad as to pay hundreds of dollars for.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Uuuh probably $60 for a single album I think? Was that what the Cowboy Bebop record retailed for? Box sets is roughly $100 for Triumph Allied Forces and that has held steady since that RSD. I also paid full retail for the Queen CD box sets ($120?) and I think one of them has oddly spiked in price since.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Daaaang, someone paid $310.75 for the reissue of Ween's The Pod. :stare:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

caligulamprey posted:

I think I paid maybe $60 a few years back for the Shimmy Disc 1st pressing.

I think the most I spent on a single record was $110 for a mono copy of We’re Only In It For the Money.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

gently caress, I love that album more than is healthy, but for $300 I'd sure as poo poo sell it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I paid $160 for Middle Class - Out of Vogue 7” iirc

Edit: looked through my post history (recommended). It was $175

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 15, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i think my most expensive individual pickups have all been new pressings

full reproduction box of all things must pass for... seventy?
lovage 4LP reissue for whatever that went for
ghosts 1-4 in a hot topic for like 50-60 soon after it came out

I'll have to check discogs because there's almost certainly something I'm forgetting

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I paid about $84 on 1 September 2008 for an OoP copy of Dear Catastrophe Waitress (thanks, deep Gmail records and historical currency exchange data—1.78), from the UK. A few months later, I was on a trip and found one new in a record shop for $25.99 (thanks, price sticker still on the plastic). This was before I had a smartphone so I decided to buy it to scalp, recoup some of the damage I had paid for the first one. I looked it up when I got home, and it was a new repress, which had come out October 21st.

:pwn:

Ways I sees it, I had it coming. That's what I get for trying to scalp. Of course I ended up keeping both, being who I am. The original, being a UK issue, had high gloss jacket, and the US reissue had very heavy matte jacket and 180g vinyl (I reckon the original was 150).

I had slept on that LP when it came out in 2003. I loved the CD and just assumed the vinyl would be there forever. That was their first post-Jeepster album and I guess Rough Trade had problems in the 2000s, and it went out of print; when I got it in my head in 2007 to get one, I spent the better part of a year trying to find one at a reasonable price. Pretty sure that £35 winning bid was a deal. Just absolutely, catastrophically, comically bad timing

About a decade later, February 2019,
I got a third copy because the 2014 reissue series had new cover art. Besides thread patron saint Garth, this is the only album I have on vinyl x3

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I have 5 copies of switched on Bach. And I had a bunch of copies of Christopher Cross but I threw some away

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I overpaid for DFA1979's first LP when it was first reissued on pink vinyl, because the Discogs seller sent a black variant. I ate the loss because Aus-Canada shipping was going to be an absolute pain in the arse and that's been my last Discogs purchase because like ebay I simply cannot be hosed dealing with third party sellers.

On the upside, I think I mentioned my Violent Soho record that's stunningly worth $1500. Pretty sure I grabbed it from the guitarist when he started working at McDonald's near where I was studying for like, $20.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I think I have 5 copies of switched on Bach.

I've only got two

quote:

And I had a bunch of copies of Christopher Cross but I threw some away

that's one I've never ended up with

it's one of those ones that I've considered once or twice, but the copy in the bin was in garbage shape

like astoundingly so

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

BigFactory posted:

I think I have 5 copies of switched on Bach. And I had a bunch of copies of Christopher Cross but I threw some away
I'm still adding to that Whipped Cream and Other Delights wing I’ve been currating.

I buy a lot of vaporwave and as with most niche genres, it's always a :stare: seeing what some of my albums are going for second-hand.
With you on this one. FOMO is a hell of a drug to those with disposable income. Even represses snag a premium.

Most expensive buy was probably the Beach Boys Smile box set several years ago. Don't think I've ever paid more than $50 for an LP, but probably would for a grail or two.

How about killer deals? What's the least you've ever paid for something that's worth a bunch? Ever found gold at a yard sale or Goodwill? I'll bet everyone has at least one decent story.

Mine: early into record collecting, I went to a home sale hosted by a former radio DJ. All records, stored in floor-to-ceiling shelves, were two bucks. Among the giant stack I eventually carted out, I snagged a VG+ first press of the Ramones Self titled with the misspellings (“beat is on the brat”). Median price on discogs is usually around $150.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I bought some art book set of that, it cost around $150 I think. Think that's the most I've spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Barry posted:

I think my most expensive purchase was one of my most recent as well - I gritted my teeth and gave Frank Ocean $65 for a copy of Blonde. It wasn't exactly a grail/white whale but I've been wanting that album for years so I was ok with paying the hilariously inflated price, especially knowing I could immediately turn it around and sell it for twice as much basically at any time.

I don't know, I guess there just isn't anything I've ever wanted so bad as to pay hundreds of dollars for.

I still think about the soul that paid me $900 for the Black Friday version of blond two years ago now. What a time.