Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wanted: Dead has a mixed review score on Steam. Is this just Steam users being dumb, or what is the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's janky, bizarre, hard, and doesn't run especially well. It owns though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Wanted: Dead has a mixed review score on Steam. Is this just Steam users being dumb, or what is the deal?

It's a weird rear end jankfest for character action weirdos.

Can't yet give an informed opinion on it's quality yet myself, not far enough into the game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wanted: Dead looks like it'll occupy that niche of games that most people dislike but builds a passionate fanbase around it. I'm that way with the Gothic series, mostly 1 and 2. If the average person were to play that now they'd wonder what the gently caress is this janky-rear end euro trash. But if I'd played it now it'd be like coming home.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just watched the trailer for Wanted: Dead for the first time, and I have to be honest I'm extremely impressed by the technology. I mean, it's not every day you discover that an entire dev team was kept cryogenically frozen since 1998 then thawed out and told to make a game without any knowledge that it was 2023.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My pharmacy finally got my adderal in and it's much easier to enjoy Dread Templar with good focus

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I finished putting together my new PC and one of the first things I did was reinstall Red Dead 2 and just ride from where it spawned me up north down to St Denis. It really is just one of the best-realized open worlds, and St Denis with all the settings turned up just looks so muggy and sweltering you can almost feel the humidity.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I posted in the Hardware thread but maybe this is a better place -

I've got $50 Amazonbucks to spend but there's nothing I really want. Was thinking about just getting like random doodads for my desk such as maybe a headset holder or one for my VR headset, or maybe just like a nice little USB hub or something but I don't really have any ideas.

You guys got any neat little random things that are like PC and or gaming adjacent you really like?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Portable USB charger is my most useful gadget by far, makes traveling so much easier.

The amazon products I use with my PC the most are borosilicate glass water bottles and a coffee carafe.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sab669 posted:

You guys got any neat little random things that are like PC and or gaming adjacent you really like?

Got $50, too.
Bought this
and a 512GB 2.5” SSD for an old laptop (it had a 120GB HDD…the difference is substantially impressive.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 14, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has anyone else been following Operation Harsh Doorstop? https://store.steampowered.com/app/736590/Operation_Harsh_Doorstop/ strange title name! But this game looks really cool. It is a free to play multiplayer FPS with bots, co-op support, and mods, that is launching tomorrow in early access. They are getting their funding entirely through patreon. So there will be no cash shop, or loot boxes, the entire funding is through donations only. I really like that idea and hope it works out for the devs. I am going to throw $5 their way later today https://www.patreon.com/drakelinglabs

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sab669 posted:

I posted in the Hardware thread but maybe this is a better place -

I've got $50 Amazonbucks to spend but there's nothing I really want. Was thinking about just getting like random doodads for my desk such as maybe a headset holder or one for my VR headset, or maybe just like a nice little USB hub or something but I don't really have any ideas.

I bought a $10 box of like 50 adhesive cable-organizer clips and stuck them everywhere to tidy up all the cables and chargers on my desk

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New on fanatical during Bundlefest:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/wet-dreams-double-pack
Leisure Suit Larry double pack

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-play-on-the-go-bundle-bundlefest-edition
BYOP
3 for $4.99/5 for $6.99/8 for $9.99

quote:

Godstrike
Home Sweet Home
Nuts
afterparty
Songbird Symphony
The invisible hours
The Sext Brutale
Neighbors from Hell
Chuchel
The Vagrant
Another world 20th anniversary edition
Elderborn
Intravenous
Blazing Beaks
Shiness:The Lighting Kingom
Calico
Samorost 2
Absoulute Drift ZEN edtion
80's overdrive
Mars:War logs
The ambassador:Fractored timelines
Chess ULTRA
Beholder 2

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/vip-mystery-bundle
VIP Mystery bundle, also the bundle you get the same 4 out of 5 same games again, $4.99

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-ordered Like a Dragon: Ishin! deluxe edition so I can play this weekend. :homebrew:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I bought a $10 box of like 50 adhesive cable-organizer clips and stuck them everywhere to tidy up all the cables and chargers on my desk

drat, this is a good idea.

Eventually I want to get a nice wood desk with a cable management hole but some clips would tide me over till then

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FuzzySlippers posted:

If they pull the Tape to Tape demo they should release the game into early access next week because I'd be happy to pay for what's there already.

Official release is in April. I really like it too and am happy to see an indie eat EA's lunch on PC because they're just being stupid.

Not having offsides weirds me out though and makes it feel like a high school floor hockey game instead of hockey proper. For some reason my idiot brain is fine with bouncy pucks and low gravity physics but somebody passes over the blue line and it freaks me out. Why is the blue line even there?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
This fanatical bundle is also pretty good if you haven't played at least some of the games in it: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-25

Eg if you like boomer shooters, dusk and amid evil are two of the best. But it also has a bunch of other solid games eg baldurs gate 1/2 if you want to try an old school crpg, just die already, which is a good local party game, hypnospace outlaw, which is an (older but a classic) indie hacking heist game, and a bunch I haven't played. Sadly I'm a huge nerd who already has most of them, but really does make me think I should maybe keep more of an eye on these bundles.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Dust & Neon, described by FutureCop here felt instinctively satisfying, but unlike FutureCop I never quite got to the "I would like to play more of this" stage. I'm not sure how much the game adds by requiring you to manually click the button when reloading each individual bullet, but I can't deny that it's thematically appropriate.

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder (also reviewed by FutureCop) personally hates you if you try to play it with a keyboard, or at the very least seems to really want you to be playing it with a controller instead. But it's good. It's so drat good, that it is the closest of the Metroidvanias that I've reviewed to making me want to give it a real playthrough rather than just reviewing it for NextFest. I liked Afterimage, but if you had to pick only a single Metroidvania to get from the bunch, this is it.

The 7th Guest summed up Valfaris: Mecha Therion pretty well, don't really have that much to add. Everything feels really smooth and intuitive, if a bit chaotic because of the need to go and find the right spot to slice enemies apart to recharge your energy blaster meter. "Valfaris: Mecha Therion" is also an inherently very satisfying set of words to say.

Dr. Video Games 0069 described Lakeburg Legacies as not having that much game yet. Sort of? Lakeburg Legacies feels like the tutorial tried to set you and the game up on a romantic date, and left before giving you any advice on how dates are supposed to work, so you're both just sort of awkwardly standing there trying to figure out how to start a conversation. There's clearly magic here waiting to happen, but it only rewards the truly committed, leaving the rest of us to wonder if it's worth a call back for a second try.

Affogato is a coffee based dessert of Italian origins, consisting of a scoop of milk or vanilla flavored gelato drowned in a shot of espresso. Alternative variants involving liqueurs are commonwaitaminute.

Affogato is pretty fun, with The 7th Guest having the full details. The game that I most predominantly felt I'd be interested in seeing a Let's Play of it when it comes out, but also that more than playing it. I get the weird feeling that the coffee shop elements more exist to give justification to the rest of the game, especially the character elements, but mechanically the game really wants to be about the reverse-tower defense section instead? Something doesn't quite harmonize.

Okay, I feel like everybody knows what Voidtrain is, but I didn't see a formal review for it, so here goes: Open world survival game where you're floating in the middle of nowhere, but also there is a set of train tracks, so it's your goal to build a lone trolley car into a train so you can visit islands, also floating in the middle of nowhere. At these islands you will fight things/harvest resources, so you can improve the train, queue loop for eternity and also sometimes enemy trains will show up and you have to fight them off on the void tracks. Kind of like the upscale version of Pirates of Pangea for me, right down to the problems - cool concept that is incredibly slow to get off the ground, so I had no interest in making it to the supposedly fun bits. Maybe I just needed to have a little more patience, but the opening sequence felt slow as molasses and like I wasn't playing the game half the time, and that spent a lot of goodwill that I would have otherwise been willing to give to the start of the trolley section. Maybe get back to this when it's finished baking and I have more energy.

12 years ago, a little known studio called Hazardous Software Inc. released a game called Achron. It was a thoroughly mediocre RTS with the exception that you had the bonkers ability to send stuff back through time, and the devs took it 100% seriously so you ended up also playing in the past as a simultaneous version of the map you were on in the present with changes to the past propagating to the present and also you could send stuff forward in time, but that's much less complicated unless you were doing stupid shenanigans that let units somehow survive their own destruction in the past because they rode out a time-wave by not being in the present when the changes finished propagating. Most of that description is wrong, but I'm not going to look for my old key from outside of Steam to boot it up and you're not going to play the game to correct me on how it works. This is the sort of nonsense that I expected to see a lot more of going forward, and I suppose we did if you count 5D Chess With Multiverse Time Travel.

I wish that Phantom Brigade was the true successor to Achron, instead it settles for being much more conservative, trading that off for you know, actually being good. Instead you just see the potential future in the present and plan your turns around that in a sort of hybrid turn-based/tactical mech RPG. This will still make many people's brains hurt and is a fun time, and justly deserves the positive reviews it has received.

And that's it! There were three more games I wanted to get to, but their demos either ate themselves (The Great War: Western Front, Oblivion Overide) or I otherwise never got around to downloading (Meet Your Maker), and unlike the ones that I could not get to work as a single, monolingual English player, it seems unfair to do a review on those when they either got a review here from someone else or were popular enough in their niche to see one elsewhere. Will get to work on ranking them tomorrow and then I'll call this a wrap.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 15, 2023

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

someone said that wasn't roumb enough so

mystes
May 31, 2006

What game is that?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Waves of Steel, I'm guessing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 15, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TIL square enix snuck a new murder mystery/horror VN onto Steam that apparently was only shown in the japanese Nintendo Direct last week, called PARANORMASIGHT

releases March 8th

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

someone said that wasn't roumb enough so

waves of steel ftw

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think I'm going to hold out and see how any early reviews land, but I'm looking forward to the launch of Pharaoh: A New Era today.

One of those 90's classics that I remember playing, but kinda forgot about for years until I saw this remake was on the way.

EDIT: Oh man, didn't know Returnal was today as well.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 15, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/-1dkPIJ_zwM

GIVE MEEEEEE

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jossar posted:

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder (also reviewed by FutureCop) personally hates you if you try to play it with a keyboard, or at the very least seems to really want you to be playing it with a controller instead.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

TIL square enix snuck a new murder mystery/horror VN onto Steam that apparently was only shown in the japanese Nintendo Direct last week, called PARANORMASIGHT

releases March 8th

Is...is that chromatic aberration on text???

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone tried Coromon? Seems like a solid new take on a Pokemon-like but its hard to get the formula right. Monster Sanctuary missed the mark I thought.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

That’s the paranorman sight

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

it hurts my eyeballs wtf

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Returnal's out now. Looking forward to hearing about the port quality, or possibly lack thereof

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The bad hog warts game is apparently selling 80% more than Elden Ring did.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/hogwarts-legacy-is-the-biggest-harry-potter-game-launch-of-all-time-uk-boxed-charts

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Failin' Ring

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ciaphas posted:

Returnal's out now. Looking forward to hearing about the port quality, or possibly lack thereof

Particularly would like to know more about the DualSense support on PC.
Feels dumb to wait for a PC port of a shooter and then play it with a controller, but it sounds tempting for the excellent rumble feedback (if ported over 1:1).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

News just in, 80% of gamers have the brain worms and shouldn't be taken seriously.

On to better news: Returnal just came out and it looks like it's very well optimized for PCs? Sony seems to be doing a good job with these ports, it sounds like.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

Crossposting from the Returnal thread but so far so good here:

explosivo posted:

3080ti/5800X3D, running 1440p with all the settings jacked including the RT stuff with DLSS in Quality mode and I got an average of 108FPS during the benchmark which is phenomenal, actually. Possibly some hitches but it didn't seem to bad. I'll update after playing and possibly trying it on the ol 4K as well just to see how much of a difference it makes.

The benchmarking tool in this game is kind of amazing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Probably way more Offline people bought the Hogwarts game that don't even know what Elden ring is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Ciaphas posted:

48% downloaded :qq: