Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

If it's a useful part it's a good addition imo. The only parts I don't like are hyper specialized ones that really only have one use like some of the shuttle and airplane parts.

Speed Champions must sell pretty well since that team looks like they have a pretty decent budget for new parts that are pretty car specific. And how they’ve increased printing over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

smackfu posted:

Speed Champions must sell pretty well since that team looks like they have a pretty decent budget for new parts that are pretty car specific. And how they’ve increased printing over time.

They ARE fun little cars to make and then zoom around the house

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks! Like I said it's probably the best looking thing I have. Downside was the building process was more stressful than relaxing that I normally get building lego, because of hunting through all the little bags & packing lists.

veni veni veni posted:

How much did the parts on that thing run you?

It looks like my order history in bricklink was purged automatically, but I'm guessing around $250-275. It was the first MOC I had ever ordered parts for so I probably wasn't as efficient as I could have been, I wanted to keep the # of orders down and such. And then one seller had some missing and damaged parts, and rather than argue with them they refunded so I had to re-order and pay shipping again from someone else, that sort of thing. There were a few quite rare parts that in retrospect, I could have chosen a slightly different color for and it would have been fine. A few parts hidden up inside the engine nozzle for instance.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 13, 2023

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Looks like the BTS Ideas set will be announced today. I'm sure there will be plenty of curmudgeons on the various Lego social media falling over themselves to go 'BTS who?'

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Skios posted:

Looks like the BTS Ideas set will be announced today. I'm sure there will be plenty of curmudgeons on the various Lego social media falling over themselves to go 'BTS who?'

I had to google wtf this new abbreviation was you were talking about, am I a curmudgeon? Getting old sucks :mad:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
No I'm old and know who they are but I also have a 7 year old who listens to some of their music.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Back to the SFuture?! Heck yeah.

I'll be the curmudgeon. I looked at the ideas concept and I don't understand how that won. It might be more boring then the sitcom sets, though depending on the production model, I could see the argument for it being a little more minimalist so it might actually be a good price for the demo it's targeted at.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

behind the scenes?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The Korean pop group?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Buy the Slip?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Lego chasing a trend in order to make a lot of money of literaly childen. Absolutely shameful and unprecedented

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh yeah, Gangnam Style guys, sure

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dogen posted:

Oh yeah, Gangnam Style guys, sure

Strong PSYchic damage from this post.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Thanks!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Mr Phillby posted:

Lego chasing a trend in order to make a lot of money of literaly childen. Absolutely shameful and unprecedented
how dare these dirty danish capitalists ruin my childhood

also, why does lego.com website now look like this for me. i can't see any LEGO brand bricks these are just blocks of some kind of computer code

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have an update and I promise these won't be daily, I'm just excited since I had the parts.

Started on the Vertical Launch portion of the front end. I have three tubes in three different states: hatch open, tube empty, Hatch open missile in tube (cutout to see the missile) and hatch open.

Started off well enough

But then I got to the top and what I was dreading came true. I totally botched the upper portion of this section. Like, really badly. I tried doing what I could do but it wasn't working at all. Went back into Studio and man, I don't know how some of the parts fit the way they did. Pretty sure I had a half dozen pieces floating, with no support at all. I am the idiot that didn't check the thing in the program to make sure that it was stable, my bad. Anyway I redid the tube parts and added a lot more support and ordered $8 worth of bricks from bricklink that should make this a lot more stable and in some cases, just stable period. I will be taking it apart from the top down and redoing it, which is good because it will give me a chance to get better connections on some of the inverted sloped bricks. But I did finish the bow dome, which turned out to be pretty stable once it was all together. I put them next to each other just so I could pretend that I made some progress today, and put a mini fig to show a bit of scale.

Seeing the lighting cord, I was able to redo where the light is as well, to provide better illumination inside the cut out area. All in all, I'm having fun by learning from my failures.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sivart13 posted:

how dare these dirty danish capitalists ruin my childhood

also, why does lego.com website now look like this for me. i can't see any LEGO brand bricks these are just blocks of some kind of computer code

Think of CSS as Bionicle - it lets you do some crazy stuff, but purists hate it, and there’s way too much lore out there about it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Spotted in the PYF memes thread....

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

Spotted in the PYF memes thread....

Just noping out to build some legos.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
When I went by the lego store to get the A-frame and the Piñata, they had the Friends Dog Rescue built in the front window, and they look so sad! :cry: These dogs need rescuing!

Ended up getting it for my niece who has a birthday coming up.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/RFMXdd9luqQ

Speaking of aframe, you all saw this right? The squirrel stuff is amusing

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Whoops I couldn't sleep and Bricklink-ordered parts for 4 different MOCs I've been eyeing.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Maybe I'm just showing my old man colors but I'm getting kinda tired of the constant barrage of brand new 1x1 pieces. It feels like whenever lego gets stuck in a creative corner they crank out a new piece to fix it.
This piece is long overdue, IMO. Some variation of this has been my most-wanted dream part in LEGO for years and years. Here's what I had dreamed the part might look like:

I don't know. I used to feel similar to you, I think. When the 1 x 1 brick with a stud on the side debuted in 2009, I remember thinking, "what's the point of this? We already figured out how to do this with a 1 x 1 Technic brick and a half pin, why do we need some specialized small part to do the same job?" At the time, I thought we pretty much had all the tools we need to make the shapes we wanted, and new fiddly small piece were just cheating or shortcuts. Of course, we're now in an era where LEGO is as detailed and realistic as it's ever been, leaps and bounds beyond what I could have imagined 14 years ago. New pieces bring new opportunities. Sure, a new part may (maybe!) have been born from LEGO not being able to figure out how to do a connection and making a new part to solve it, but the legacy of that piece will be how many new builds it inspires and enables beyond that. People will immediately see the possibilities and start making things that were impossible last year. That's the cool part, and that's why I get excited about new pieces now, not skeptical.

Regarding BTS, I'm mad excited. Some of y'all may remember I even made my own attempt at this build, long before the Ideas set was submitted. My partner is quick to remind me I potentially missed out on a fuckin' fortune by not submitting mine first.

It's totally fine if you don't know who BTS are. I believe they're still the single biggest musical act in the world, but a lot of people are still unaware of the genre outside of a vague notion of its existence. The absolute vitriol this announcement is causing in the more cesspool-y portions of the LEGO fan community (Brickset comment section) is truly next level, though. Such utter hatred for a thing that is gonna be exciting for a tremendous amount of the world's population. I don't give a gently caress about Star Wars, Harry Potter, or LOTR, but I'm not gonna throw a poo poo fit because LEGO is making sets that aren't "for" me.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Holy poo poo I was right that the BTS was the Korean pop band? I was making a joke lol

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I know who they are I was just being “clever” by pretending to confuse them with another Korean sensation.

People are entitled to like what they like! Except more sitcom sets because gently caress that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Gonna unironically argue, Kpop stuff could actually make some super cool Lego sets beyond just fan appeal (even though it would mostly be that, yeah). It's not like Sitcoms where the subject is a couch in a 1990s living room -- the music videos have a lot of artistically creative and interesting backdrop designs to pick from. Not sure if I'll be getting it but I'm genuinely curious how this BTS set ends up doing.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I think a lot of the pushback was also that it was a super low effort submission. If it was something like your MOC there might've been a different reaction.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Koramei posted:

Gonna unironically argue, Kpop stuff could actually make some super cool Lego sets beyond just fan appeal (even though it would mostly be that, yeah). It's not like Sitcoms where the subject is a couch in a 1990s living room -- the music videos have a lot of artistically creative and interesting backdrop designs to pick from. Not sure if I'll be getting it but I'm genuinely curious how this BTS set ends up doing.
Definitely more interesting than the sitcoms, I'm also curious how it'll turn out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Destroyenator posted:

I think a lot of the pushback was also that it was a super low effort submission. If it was something like your MOC there might've been a different reaction.

I would have had more respect for the submission if they had done faces for the minifigs.

Feels like rest-of-the-owl poo poo given the reason people are interested in the set.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 15, 2023

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I can't quite pinpoint it, but due to the lack of faces, those minfigs look like a group of men from some older gangster/heist movie.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 15, 2023

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think it would be good if they could separate the pop culture sets from the Ideas line.

It does feel weird you've got this project that is seemingly designed to appeal to hardcore lego fans to feel like they have a hand in set development and so much of the product are these mass market appeal sets.

I guess maybe Lego is worried about committing to a pop culture set without seeing the demand numbers? I'm not sure how a submit this pop culture thing you'd like us to collab on site would do. But might be a cleaner way than low effortish submissions where the IP is the appeal taking up "slots" from submissions that don't have that leverage.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I mean, if I were the Lego marketing department, I'd be eyeing the Ideas pages like a hawk. It's basically free market research. On the other hand, I do wonder how much these pop culture sets contribute to long term customer retention. How many new AFOLs can reasonably created by people for whom the BTS set is the first set they buy?

Last year I was doing a work secret santa thing. The guy I drew is a massive Seinfeld fan. I ended up getting him the Seinfeld set because it was being dumped well below RRP. He mentioned that it was his first Lego set since he was a kid in the late eighties. It took him more than three weeks to put it all together, and while he loves it, I doubt it'd convince him to suddenly go out and buy other stuff.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That seems like a success from Lego’s perspective though. You, an adult, bought another adult a Lego set even though you didn’t know if they even liked Lego.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But.. everyone likes Lego

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Infinitum posted:

:hmmyes:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I bought the Central Perc set in a fit of 90s nostalgia 2 years ago having not thought about lego since the hand me down sets of my childhood. I have spent an embarasing amount of money on sets since then and am currently considering putting up shelves so i can excuse getting the A frame cabin set.

I do get a fair amount of ideas sets but i think Central Perc is the only IP one i went for. The Treehouse was my second purchase. Other than the nostalgic ip what i really liked about the Friends set was just that its a tiny detailed coffee shop and stuff like the modulars appeals even more as they're full little buildings with exteriors and everything. There hasn't really been an ip based ideas set at the right price point thats as cool as the ideas treehouse or medieval blacksmith imo. Home alone is probably closest to the kinda thing i want out of lego based on franchise stuff but it was a little too expensive and i don't really like home alone that much.

I also can't stop buying little vans. I have like three campervans and icecream van and the new slush van. Screw speed champions lego vans are where its at. Put a big hotdog on top of basically the same build i'll keep buing them for some reason.

Oh and i also got obsessed with vintage paradisa sets and made it my mission to build every polybag parot i could get my hands on.

Point is that yes someone in their mid thirties might become an AFOL if a set based on a sitcom tickles their fancy. Funny thing is i don't even like Friends that much lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I took my first stab at designing a MOC, the faun from Pan's Labyrinth. And I realized........... I'm not very good at designing MOCs.

Also apparently I used a bunch of bricks that don't exist :negative:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Count Thrashula posted:

I took my first stab at designing a MOC, the faun from Pan's Labyrinth. And I realized........... I'm not very good at designing MOCs.

Also apparently I used a bunch of bricks that don't exist :negative:

What are you talking about? This is a great Ashoka Tano

Dogen
May 5, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

What are you talking about? This is a great Ashoka Tano

I had that thought. Thought #2 was hey that’s a pretty decent Beast from Beauty and the Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Infinitum posted:

At this point sure, but even like 5-10 years ago there was definitely a stigma around adults building Lego sets. That going away probably has a bunch to do with the general cultural milieu as of late (and Lego sets tbh looking much nicer than a decade or two back), but I bet pop culture IPs in Ideas have played a role.