Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm not the only completely baffled by the end of the Kojin tribal quest right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh, it's very weird.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

Oh, it's very weird.

You can't do the "what talking doll?" trick if you have other characters very clearly responding to the talking doll!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ARR is a bit weird and especially some of the 2.x optional dungeons can get tricksy on you (Amdapor Hard would mess you up on the last boss if you didn't 'get it') but if you are in Heavensward and beyond you do not need to watch any video before going into a dungeon, they are built with the expectation than any group can easily breeze through and maybe wipe once ever on their first time. Even if you're a tank.

I know this because that's how I did it and I'm not even a good tank.

Also some dungeons have hype as heck moments and you'd be depriving yourself of that if you saw it on a video as your first time instead of getting to experience it firsthand.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Regarding dungeon prep, since I've outpaced the Let's Play I'm watching, I've gone into every dungeon, trial, and raid blind. I've needed to be scraped off the floor a few times, but aside from wiping because I'd swapped to healer and momentarily forgot I was supposed to be healing no one's made any issue of it. The mechanics are mostly standardized by now (A few things in ARR need a pass to add normal danger puddles and markers) and the only real curve balls I've been thrown was 1) Some enemies just having huge rearing windups with no associated puddle, and 2) A few fights that require your brain to be engaged (starboard/larboard/fore/aft, moon, math).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So I just stepped foot into Eureka.

This is just a bunch of pre-WoW MMO poo poo, isn't it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's ftw.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

its based

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's pretty alright if you're in the mood for it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Level down...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Vitamean posted:

its based

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

wait. based on what

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

S.J. posted:

wait. based on what

it's based on old school MMO design where the goal was to disrespect you and your time with bullshit.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The only vital skill in the game is not caring when you die. Everything else you can just wing it.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
absolutely can't overstate how good the advice to not worry so much about knowing dungeon mechanics before you've even tried them once is.

I was the guy who watched all the videos for all the mechanics for every single dungeon & trial before running them but really in the end it just made matters worse for me becuase when I came back from breaks from the game I would get stressed out about running roulettes that could be any of the dungeons up to 90 and I couldn't prepare becuase it's just random, and so I just didn't.

I've had to really force myself to learn just not worry about it and I promise you it's so *so* much more fun even when you gently caress it all up like I did last night! Nothing bad is going to happen, someone might get salty but mostly nobody will care and the clear will just take a little longer is all.

guides can be helpful, but I really would encourage you to go in and try them blind first so they dont become a crutch!

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

and the clear will just take a little longer is all.
which can be a boon because of the banger BGMs

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just go in blind to dungeons. I do new ones with the Trusts the first time because it feels story-appropriate to me but you don't have to do that. Dungeons are easy content, and while it felt to me like they started turning up the complexity of them from level 70+, you'll get better at the same rate so it works.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
yeah the trust/duty support stuff is really really good for when you want to take a dungeon at a slower pace and especially for those where there's story bits scattered about to read

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Antivehicular posted:

PS Normal is a very strong contender for worst dungeon in the game, imho. The only time I had fun in there was going in as a synched BLU party to get the spell from the Zu boss that requires you to fail the mechs, and that was more a "well, we're all suffering together, onward!" kind of fun.

Sorry, but it’s a contender for the best just because of the music.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Going blind into dungeons is the intended design decision for the game, and (barring like one or two places where it can be hard to figure out what gently caress-up is leading to you getting punished) it's more enjoyable to just not worry about it and learn on your feet. Sometimes you die and that's ok, I once spent a substantial portion of an alliance raid accidentally RPing a roomba and it just did not matter.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

yeah the trust/duty support stuff is really really good for when you want to take a dungeon at a slower pace and especially for those where there's story bits scattered about to read
Duty Support owns, I try to do each dungeon at least once with the NPCs. I think a lot of people just tried it out when they first implemented it for ARR stuff when it was just the generic characters, but in HW dungeons you get to group with cool people like Aymeric/Haurchefant/That Talking Frog. I'm interested in seeing who they use for the SB dungeons.

Selane fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 16, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Funky Valentine posted:

It's weird, but there's one line by the Elder that anchors it. "Same thing happened to me as a kid, don't worry, the Kami just do that sometimes. The lessons were for you."

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I do new ones with the Trusts the first time because it feels story-appropriate to me but you don't have to do that.

There are two duties in Endwalker where you do, in fact, have to do that. Ok, well, the game won't make you, but I shake my head judgementally anytime I get one in a roulette and see the notification that there will be a first time completion bonus.

Edit: To be clear, I mean for the "story-appropriate" part, not because you'd be letting your party down by not knowing mechanics or whatever.

Theris fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 15, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I will always use duty support if the game offers it.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Same, duty support has a lot of good lines and interactions in it. Someday I'll have to go back and do all the newly-added duty support stuff, I was always one patch ahead of where they were adding new stuff so I never saw it naturally until ShB.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah it’s “non-optimal”, but I like doing my first run of MSQ dungeons as maximum story.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Me, doing some clan hunts in Lakeland to get another level on SMN: "Oh hey, an A rank. It's old content, surely I can solo it if I switch to my level 90 tank :downs:"

I could not solo it :gibs:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Me, doing some clan hunts in Lakeland to get another level on SMN: "Oh hey, an A rank. It's old content, surely I can solo it if I switch to my level 90 tank :downs:"

I could not solo it :gibs:

I did one of those in Il Mehg, but it took ages. Other people came by every once in a while, swung at it for a few minutes, then got bored and left. I think it took around an hour?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I did one of those in Il Mehg, but it took ages. Other people came by every once in a while, swung at it for a few minutes, then got bored and left. I think it took around an hour?

It was the big fat ochu thing that hits you with a massive slashing resistance debuff, then a stack marker that will one-shot anyone with said debuff.

Next time I'll wait for a train :sweatdrop:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

It was the big fat ochu thing that hits you with a massive slashing resistance debuff, then a stack marker that will one-shot anyone with said debuff.

Next time I'll wait for a train :sweatdrop:

Yeah, I haven't really tried a lot here but back in Shadowbringers I threw myself at some Stormblood guys and it really depends on the enemy if they'll let you solo it. Some are just beatemups but there was one in SB with a poison mechanic that I kept trying to finesse and it just didn't work.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I did a stormblood A-rank solo at 90 once, which was enough for me to decide I never want to do one without a group again. Even though it was only somewhat a threat, the amount of HP just takes so long to blow through.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It it always morally correct to call over a few friends to slap around an A rank in an old expansion

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Shadowbringers A ranks have the same HP as Endwalker A ranks. They don't hit as hard, but they still take a decent sized group of 90s to burn down in a reasonable amount of time.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Moreover, it's considered polite to leave any shb/ew A ranks alone for the trains that come and clean up for nuts. There are still some centurio hunts for stb, but anything HW or earlier is free game (but call friends anyway).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They're rarer now but older trains do still happen. It was post-EW that I happened to kill a random A rank in La Noscea just before a hunt train came in looking for it, and I hurriedly teleported away before they got to the exact location and found me standing over the monster's corpse

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Duty support is slower, yes, but frankly that just means I get to go at my own pace, take my time, and actually take in my surroundings and see what's going on instead of rushing to the end ASAP and suffering through tanks that insist on wall-to-walling or healers that run ahead and pull extra stuff FOR the tank because they consider having time to DPS to be a failure on the tank's part because they can clearly afford to pull more stuff and go faster.

I just really hate the Speedrunner Mentality in group content. It's why I always hated Mythic+ dungeons in WoW and refuse to touch it to this day (yes I play both).

Besides, being able to treat this game as a single player game is wonderful and the NPCs provide extra commentary and I share the Trust Insighters' fascination with friendly NPC behavior, especially in Trusts and Duty Support.

Knowing that the different named NPCs in Duty Support each have their own little behavioral quirks is a fun little detail.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 15, 2023

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Yeah, I've gotten angry whispers for killing random ARR & HW A ranks while out and about.

I can't believe I need to say this but supporting a particular type of hunting organized on out-of-game discords is not a moral imperative. You are allowed to just kill these specific mobs that the game tells you that you should kill as you encounter them (assuming you can, anyhow).

Giving someone grief for killing hunt targets is against the ToS, and you can report people for it if it happens to you and they're being obnoxious.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you CAN kill it there's no reason why you shouldn't. It's a self solving problem because with actually current content you're not gonna be able to kill it anyway so it'll be left for the trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, I've gotten angry whispers for killing random ARR & HW A ranks while out and about.

I can't believe I need to say this but supporting a particular type of hunting organized on out-of-game discords is not a moral imperative. You are allowed to just kill these specific mobs that the game tells you that you should kill as you encounter them (assuming you can, anyhow).

Giving someone grief for killing hunt targets is against the ToS, and you can report people for it if it happens to you and they're being obnoxious.

Hunt train people are unhinged.