Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
No he hosed up. His politics weren't perfect thus he's as bad as anyone else on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Actually I love all the characters and think that Paulie is my special little guy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I still love the witness to Tony and Pussy's murder of Matt Drinkwater/Bellivaqua. "You had to be the BIG MAN!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Where on the loving fridge?!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And the cops who absolutely know who the eyeball witness is describing, but don’t let him in on that.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

The Pacific is the same number of episodes yet feels twice as long. Part of that is because you're bouncing between three different POV characters rather than sticking with a single combat unit the whole time, but it's also definitely because the show never stops screaming at you "War is Hell! This was not an adventure! The PTO was an absolute shitshow of struggling to hold inhospitable, untamed islands to battle an unyielding, fanatical enemy force." It's a great series to be sure, but not one I've been compelled to revisit.

ah yes the GoodJust War against the non-white inhuman evil* Orientals, presented to us once again by Spielberg.

i am just so, so tired of US WWII media:smith:

*no i am not excusing nanking and :lol: if anyone misinterprets my post as such

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 16, 2023

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

ah yes the GoodJust War against the non-white inhuman evil* Orientals, presented to us once again by Spielberg.

i am just so, so tired of US WWII media:smith:

*no i am not excusing nanking and :lol: if anyone misinterprets my post as such

you could have just said "I haven't seen it" but ok

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

you could have just said "I haven't seen it" but ok

watch Thin Red LIne by Terrance Malick instead its much better

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I would argue that Melfi is tested and she proves stronger in her convictions than most characters. The old guy who gets one scene might be right but he's also just there for one scene.

Of course, the purest character is Little Carmine.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
personally i'd go out for beers with Jimmy Smash

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Kemper Boyd posted:

I would argue that Melfi is tested and she proves stronger in her convictions than most characters. The old guy who gets one scene might be right but he's also just there for one scene.

Of course, the purest character is Little Carmine.

Melfi's arguably the most human. She's tested a lot and she fails a lot - she keeps seeing Tony as a client even after she's really worked out that it's not a good idea for either of them. But ultimately, in the end, she finally does walk away from that abyss. She finally does manage to convince herself of what she had almost certainly worked out on her own before that moment, and walks away from Tony.
I think it's arguably what helps keep it from being a nihilistic show and why she's so important. With Tony and a lot of the other characters, we see them sinking deeper and deeper into depravity and evil. Tony and the others are given chances to be better or do the right thing, and they gently caress up and double down. With Melfi we see that while people can stumble and fail, ultimately better things ARE possible. It took her a while, but ultimately Melfi did the right thing. She's not perfect, but she's okay, and that's fine.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Melfi's arguably the most human. She's tested a lot and she fails a lot - she keeps seeing Tony as a client even after she's really worked out that it's not a good idea for either of them. But ultimately, in the end, she finally does walk away from that abyss. She finally does manage to convince herself of what she had almost certainly worked out on her own before that moment, and walks away from Tony.
I think it's arguably what helps keep it from being a nihilistic show and why she's so important. With Tony and a lot of the other characters, we see them sinking deeper and deeper into depravity and evil. Tony and the others are given chances to be better or do the right thing, and they gently caress up and double down. With Melfi we see that while people can stumble and fail, ultimately better things ARE possible. It took her a while, but ultimately Melfi did the right thing. She's not perfect, but she's okay, and that's fine.

Agreed. And to add to that, I think one of the most important moments for Melfi is that for all of the times she does fall short or let herself be taken in by Tony against her better judgement, she still does resist the temptation to tell him about the rape. It's also a credit to the show, too, a worse show would have ruined the characterization of Melfi in the name of cheap audience catharsis and I'm glad they didn't.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I still love the witness to Tony and Pussy's murder of Matt Drinkwater/Bellivaqua. "You had to be the BIG MAN!"

Its not just the script, its the delivery. And that was perfect. Same thing with "She was abusive to the staff!"

In one of the earlier Simpsons episodes where they go to couples counselling and Homer goes fishing, and the other couple there has the guy who calls his wife "queen of the harpies" and motions towards putting a fake crown on her head, saying "here's your crown your majesty". Its a great bit, but I always remembered the line being delivered with some real sarcasm and malice, but its not really like that. It could have been made better if it was.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Best line delivery in the series is Carmela saying “Marco” after getting thrown in the pool and forced to play.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Just want to chime in and say Homicide: Life on the Street is incredible, although the cast turnovers really hurt in the back half.

I mean Ned Beatty, Melissa Leo, Yaphet Kotto, Andre Braugher, Jon Polito.... all mind blowing performances. The first season is shot on film and is just gorgeous.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Many people will be familiar with Braugher from Brooklyn 99, and those who are a fan owe it to themselves and him to check out Homicide because his character in that is even better, with many of the best plot lines circling around him. But they're all great. You didn't even mention Richard Belzer! Too bad he, if unsurprisingly, turned out to be a bit of a wack job IRL

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Best line delivery in the series is Carmela saying “Marco” after getting thrown in the pool and forced to play.

Haha, hell yes! I just watched that one again last night. Her utter lack of enthusiasm is fantastic.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

The first time I watched the show, I thought it was weird that that never really came back up or that there were any consequences for it, but at least for the latter part, i get it now, of course there wouldn't be

also i got my wires crossed and thought i was in the red dead 2 thread for a second and i missed a scene

Yeah it went nowhere because they changed their minds, Kurt Sutter was originally setting up a finale where the final scene of Dutch was him coming home and in his basement you see the remains of the people he's been serial killing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah it went nowhere because they changed their minds, Kurt Sutter was originally setting up a finale where the final scene of Dutch was him coming home and in his basement you see the remains of the people he's been serial killing.

i'm glad they did not do that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

And my headcanon is that this is true you just don't see it. Dude's a creepy twisted little fucker.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm not super familiar with Kurt Sutter's reputation, but going off the context that I do have, i'm gonna take a big swing and guess he's responsible for a certain hostage scene starring captain aceveda?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

artie bucco's exaggerated gesturing is always super funny

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Qu'est-ce que c'est? Message machine broken?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Someone did once convince me to try armagnac instead of cognac and now I’m wondering I just didn’t catch a reference lol

The booze was fine, not world changing

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not super familiar with Kurt Sutter's reputation, but going off the context that I do have, i'm gonna take a big swing and guess he's responsible for a certain hostage scene starring captain aceveda?

This is the only time I've ever seen a graphic sex assault turned into a punchline because of how consistently it features in the Previously on.... montages.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He made.....you suck?!..

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always wondered if Melfi's psychiatrist also went to a psychologist that specializes in psychologist's psychology.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Another Bill posted:

This is the only time I've ever seen a graphic sex assault turned into a punchline because of how consistently it features in the Previously on.... montages.

It's literally the first thing I think of when I see that actor in other stuff.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

codo27 posted:

Many people will be familiar with Braugher from Brooklyn 99, and those who are a fan owe it to themselves and him to check out Homicide because his character in that is even better, with many of the best plot lines circling around him. But they're all great. You didn't even mention Richard Belzer! Too bad he, if unsurprisingly, turned out to be a bit of a wack job IRL

he did establish that The Wire, Homicide, and the entire L&O franchise share a television universe though, which is pretty fuckin funny

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I always wondered if Melfi's psychiatrist also went to a psychologist that specializes in psychologist's psychology.

gently caress that, how big was his psychiatrist's water bottle

which actually just reminded me that this exists and the shorter version came out right before season 6 part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsgRwxx7au0

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

stev posted:

I hate every character in the Sopranos. :shrug: That's sort of the point.

Yes and no. Character shows like this have interesting and redeeming things about the characters that draw you in and keep you watching.

The Shield, I found none of that. The gang were just brutal assholes, with zero charm. Nothing kept me wanting to see what happens next, other than hoping they'd get shot or run over. Maybe it eventually comes, but by the time I saw the dude killing a cat, I just gave up. I hated everyone with a passion.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

ulvir posted:

My favorite is in the last or second to last episode (his final appearance I think) when he and Charmaine are talking to Tony and Carm about Meadow studying constitutional law instead of becoming a doctor, he does this split second little mining of signing a document while making the goofiest face. It’s so funny every time.

Edit: here we go

At 5:40 if the time stamp doesn’t work

Action Serious fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 17, 2023

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

ulvir posted:

My favorite is this scene where Tony gets pissed and throws Artie out of the Bing but Artie keeps twirling around to glare at Tony as he’s getting shoved out the door.
https://youtu.be/lonfT9ITxhk
Lol

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Tony is a labor leader.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Artie Bucco is one of my favorite characters in the Sopranos because they never really include him in the serious mobster stuff, and they never really put his life or his family's life in jeopardy (though its something that he's always in danger of falling into), he's just a regular guy who's friends with a sociopathic mob leader. And he's got his own idiotic schemes and dreams, and his life is tragic in a way, but in a regular person, relatable way, like feeling emasculated or wanting to have an affair.

The last episode he really figures in he tries to really intertwine himself in the mobster stuff, and he gets smacked up for it and, as if God (David Simon) comes down from the heavens and tells him: no, you're a regular schmoe, and listen, your life aint that bad, go cook some food.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He's a walking midlife crisis whose childhood friend is a walking ferrari

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Action Serious posted:

My favorite is in the last or second to last episode (his final appearance I think) when he and Charmaine are talking to Tony and Carm about Meadow studying constitutional law instead of becoming a doctor, he does this split second little mining of signing a document while making the goofiest face. It’s so funny every time.

Edit: here we go

At 5:40 if the time stamp doesn’t work

That's when Carmela just starts openly making GBS threads on Meadow to try and save face because she knows Artie and Charmaine are enjoying this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

The last episode he really figures in he tries to really intertwine himself in the mobster stuff, and he gets smacked up for it and, as if God (David Simon) comes down from the heavens and tells him: no, you're a regular schmoe, and listen, your life aint that bad, go cook some food.

David Simon not being anywhere near Sopranos is the best part of the series; Chase's psychological rabbit holes and peeling of the flesh to find the soul are far more interesting than Simons and his endless banality and admonishments.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Gaius Marius posted:

David Simon not being anywhere near Sopranos is the best part of the series; Chase's psychological rabbit holes and peeling of the flesh to find the soul are far more interesting than Simons and his endless banality and admonishments.

Haha, a little freudian slip there! Definitely meant Chase, woops

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Ainsley McTree posted:

midlife crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
he's such a sore fuckin thumb in that scene that you wouldn't even notice angela merkel rocking out in front of him unless she's pointed out