Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Dang, I'd go see Sisters but no dates in the free state of Florida.

Edit - Went back to read a few pages back in the thread and realized I forgot Ashbury Heights was a band so I've been bobbing my head to that all morning. He even has new songs that are ok.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Philthy posted:

Sisters tix in Chicago came to $78/ea after all the fees for me.

Ticket prices are weird. I got Morbid Angel tix that was 2for1 and it came to $80 for a "single" ticket after fees. Vader in Chicago was $31 after fees. Legendary Pink Dots was $25/ea after fees. The Milwaukee Metal Fest that is three days with 40 bands is $140 a day, or just over $400 for all three days. There is another metalfest happening in a smaller venue here in town with just as many bands and Flotsam & Jetsam, Massacre, and a bunch of others over three days for $120 total after fees. Amon Amarth/Obituary/Carcass/Cattle Decapitation was $40.. FLA was $28/ea after fees. TKK was $25/ea. Stromkern was $12. Revco (final show @ metro)/StromKern/Rein was $45.

It's all over the place.

Skinny Puppy is pushing a poo poo ton of merch on Facebook. And it's all mostly great looking shirts and stuff. Cevin sold out of his pre-order synth yesterday at $750/ea. They know they can charge a lot because Puppy fans will pay it. I'll be paying it without hesitation. I hope this sparks them to keep going somehow, honestly.

I don't think they're going to keep going as Puppy but hopefully it pushes though to continue doing projects. Key will probably do his electronica projects forever. I saw a blurb on social media where he's opening for IAMX. I just wonder if Ogre continues with Mark Walk project/band or not.

Based on the Puppy group on Facebook it seems that a TON of die hard fans haven't been to a show since the Too Dark Park tour. LOTS of outrage over ticket prices.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Admittedly this is completely speculation on my part, but my guess is Ogre felt pretty burned out on the music industry after all the bad stuff that happened around the recording of Tricks. Maybe I'm wrong though, he's definitely been through worse.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

I don't think they're going to keep going as Puppy but hopefully it pushes though to continue doing projects. Key will probably do his electronica projects forever. I saw a blurb on social media where he's opening for IAMX. I just wonder if Ogre continues with Mark Walk project/band or not.

Based on the Puppy group on Facebook it seems that a TON of die hard fans haven't been to a show since the Too Dark Park tour. LOTS of outrage over ticket prices.

"Die hard fans who don't like anything past the early to mid 90s" pretty much describes most of the people in every band/subgenre industrial page I've I've tried on FB, or r/industrialmusic tbh. I'm sad I've only seen SP once but they don't come over to the UK often, and I'm glad I got that one time at least. It does sound like the ticket prices are pretty crazy though, which sucks.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I like some modern stuff but I can't really deny peak industrial is 1985-1995 or so, for me. It's not realy nostalgia either because I only started listening to the genre at the tail end of that period.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I mean full disclosure, Last Rights is the most "recent" SP album I listen to on the reg, just funny how averse to anything modern a lot of the FB communities and reddit are. I guess maybe people into newer stuff use Discord or w/e.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Sorry, but when modern industrial/ebm/darkwave bands draw inspiration from Skinny Puppy they're not ripping off Pro-test, and there's a reason for that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I’m just glad they put out Weapon. It’s a freaking great album. I think it was mostly demo tracks from the back n forth days tho.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Meanwhile my introductions were Brap 3&4 and The Process. Still love'm.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

thotsky posted:

Sorry, but when modern industrial/ebm/darkwave bands draw inspiration from Skinny Puppy they're not ripping off Pro-test, and there's a reason for that.

On a related tangent, I think literally band I've heard imitating Skinny Puppy or taking from their sound over the years always goes for the Mind: TPI sound. I don't think I've ever heard anything that sounded even remotely close to Last Rites, but I've heard that Deep Down Trauma hounds synth part in a hundred songs. It always bums me out because my favorite thing from that era are the super punchy bass drums with the FM synth slap bass under them and no one ever rips that part off.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

On a related tangent, I think literally band I've heard imitating Skinny Puppy or taking from their sound over the years always goes for the Mind: TPI sound. I don't think I've ever heard anything that sounded even remotely close to Last Rites, but I've heard that Deep Down Trauma hounds synth part in a hundred songs. It always bums me out because my favorite thing from that era are the super punchy bass drums with the FM synth slap bass under them and no one ever rips that part off.

You might like Dead When I Found Her. Check out the song Shining Path.

Or maybe this is exactly what you're saying, I just woke up.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Kaddish posted:

You might like Dead When I Found Her. Check out the song Shining Path.

Or maybe this is exactly what you're saying, I just woke up.

Oh yeah, I like DWIFH and totally forgot about that song. Definitely the closest to Last Rites that I've heard.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
statiqbloom is the only act I can think of that even dipped their toes in the tdp/lr waters

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

This thread had me going back through my old Skinny Puppy collection and I remembered this old German bootleg I had from an 80's Skinny Puppy show. It sounds like it was a soundboard recording someone ripped and the whole thing seems sped up slightly, probably to fit on a tape, so it is almost has a nightcore feel to it. The whole thing is a really good listen, and I love the version of Smothered Hope off it. I found someone put it up on youtube and it is at 14:30. I can't even remember where the hell I picked a copy up at, but it had a jewel case and CD booklet and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMxfjXKnZqw&t=870s

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

This thread had me going back through my old Skinny Puppy collection and I remembered this old German bootleg I had from an 80's Skinny Puppy show. It sounds like it was a soundboard recording someone ripped and the whole thing seems sped up slightly, probably to fit on a tape, so it is almost has a nightcore feel to it. The whole thing is a really good listen, and I love the version of Smothered Hope off it. I found someone put it up on youtube and it is at 14:30. I can't even remember where the hell I picked a copy up at, but it had a jewel case and CD booklet and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMxfjXKnZqw&t=870s

That is awesome, thanks for sharing.

I just saw Assemblage 23 is coming to Tampa. Anyone seen him live?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

I’m just glad they put out Weapon. It’s a freaking great album. I think it was mostly demo tracks from the back n forth days tho.

I went back and checked up on this. Apparently only one song was "reused" which was Solvent because they felt it should have been better. The rest of the songs they tossed out all the new equipment and tried making everything like they did back in the 80s, with 80s equipment. It sounds like they were successful but it got frustrating and pushed that aside and just tried to replicate it on modern equipment for the rest of the album. I think they succeeded, because I honestly thought most of this was older sounding demos they fleshed out into full songs. It reminded me of Back n Forth Series 2, more than say Bites/Remissions/Mind

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Weapon is really good, agreed.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Kaddish posted:

That is awesome, thanks for sharing.

I just saw Assemblage 23 is coming to Tampa. Anyone seen him live?

Saw him live 10+ years ago, it was fine. It’s basically just him singing to a backing track while a dude stands behind him with a keyboard. Whether some or all of the music actually comes from that keyboard is unprovable.

But it sounded good and Tom Shear sounds good when he sings live, so it’s worth seeing if you’re a fan. (I fell off when Endure released, nothing wrong with the music, it’s just not my taste anymore.)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Saw him live 10+ years ago, it was fine. It’s basically just him singing to a backing track while a dude stands behind him with a keyboard. Whether some or all of the music actually comes from that keyboard is unprovable.

But it sounded good and Tom Shear sounds good when he sings live, so it’s worth seeing if you’re a fan. (I fell off when Endure released, nothing wrong with the music, it’s just not my taste anymore.)

I haven't listened to A23 in a bit, just figured tickets would be cheap relative to other things these days and something to do ya know.

Thanks for the insight, it's sounds like it's exactly like I imagined it would be.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I haven’t seen em live but I know Assemblage 23’s setup includes or has included a live drummer, possibly depending on what part of the world they’d be performing

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

No live drummer when I saw them. This would’ve been sometime around 2010-2012, though.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I appreciate that they tried to go back and capture their original sound with Weapon, but I really hate how clean and thin their sound was from The Greater Wrong of the Right onwards as they were using more modern recording techniques. I remember reading an old interview with cEvin a long time ago where he was talking about his recording process for Download, and he mentioned that he would make the synth lines on his computer, and then route them out of his computer and spend a lot of time running it through other stuff and manipulating it to make it sound like it didn't just come out of a computer. I think Effector is still one of the most organic sounding electronic albums I have ever hear.

And I don't even dislike The Greater Wrong of the Right, but it was such a kick in the balls getting an album that sounded like that after they teased us with new Skinny Puppy with this a couple years earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPpzanfHEKk

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah, TBH I still think Frozen Sky is the best thing they did post-breakup.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
There's a new Delerium album, Signs, out in April! Yes, they do things other than another thousand remixes of "Silence." Industrialists get into the bleepy version of world music. Sure do miss Single Gun Theory. Signs is an extremely pleasant listen. The pieces are long. The shortest is seven and a half minutes. That said, Delerium know what a pop hook is."Coast To Coast", the one track that's up on the Bandcamp right now, is particularly catchy. The rest is pretty good too. If you want something "in search of the exquisite" and "a masterwork of hypnotic rhythms and enveloping ambience" and "aching beauty and romanticism" with guest singers, this is that.

edit: ok, the pieces are not super-long. The timestamps on the album preview site are all wrong. The actual tracks are all four or five minutes.

divabot fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 25, 2023

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Semantic Spaces was my jam.

Before "Silence" there was "Incantation" and it always annihilated the dance floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFR19X6GSVg

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ll also note that before Semantic Spaces, Delerium was a totally different project. No vocals, just occasionally samples. Hard to pin a genre on it beyond “ambient” but the early stuff was sorta “dungeon music” and it turned into spacey stuff on the Spheres albums.

Highlights of the pre-pop days are probably Spheres II and Spiritual Archives, although your mileage may vary.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Delirium is a guilty pleasure of mine, stoked for new album.

Give us a new Synaesthesia album please!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Another Massenhysterie album came out in 2019, to almost no notice? It's called Hausfrauengel​ü​ste ("housewife desires") and it continues in the authentic minimal “we just bought our first MS-20” style with a purple-haired Austrian woman shouting perversion at you over the top. It's more fun than deep, but it's pretty good and I've played it more than once.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Look at this madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSNNLfWgNC4

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult (playing old songs), Adult. and Kanga tour added East Coast dates. I have been meaning to see Kanga live so I guess I should hit up their Boston date.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

MassRafTer posted:

The My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult (playing old songs), Adult. and Kanga tour added East Coast dates. I have been meaning to see Kanga live so I guess I should hit up their Boston date.

Ugh I'd love to see them again, but tickets are currently $72

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SacrificialGoat posted:

Ugh I'd love to see them again, but tickets are currently $72

I have gotten to the point where I don't even know what too expensive is for shows but that seems a bit high.

Also the Cold Waves lineup is out and I'm not that impressed.

https://twitter.com/COLDWAVES_/status/1634229784816545792

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there a small act called Richard 23 or did they put the actual Richard 23 in the third to last position on the lineup poster?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there a small act called Richard 23 or did they put the actual Richard 23 in the third to last position on the lineup poster?

He's the 23rd act on the poster :tinfoil:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Wow, I am very surprised A Split Second is still around. I used to have a couple of their cassette tapes.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kaddish posted:

Wow, I am very surprised A Split Second is still around. I used to have a couple of their cassette tapes.

I saw them in 2012, they were pretty good fun still if you like it old school.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It's an assemblage 23 cover band

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

MassRafTer posted:

I have gotten to the point where I don't even know what too expensive is for shows but that seems a bit high.

Also the Cold Waves lineup is out and I'm not that impressed.

https://twitter.com/COLDWAVES_/status/1634229784816545792

All I know is that last time I saw TKK it was a hole in the wall bar and it cost like $20 and it wasn't that long ago

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
old bands need the money so they can build their environmental/societal collapse bunkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

old bands need the money so they can build their environmental/societal collapse bunkers pay for assisted living and elder care