Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

CommieGIR posted:

Expect to need to replace the DEF Injector at some point or possibly a turbo down the road (like way out there past 150k for the turbo) but otherwise its really their most reliable motor.

Just make sure to get the right oil in it, it HAS to be the correct rated oil for the VW TDIs. Recommend changing it every 5-7k rather than the 10k they recommend. Also: Look at doing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done yet.

Ours doesn't have a DEF System at all, thankfully. For both our cars we use the vw recommended oil and do the changes at every 5k. The fuel filter we're planning on doing in the next month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Ours doesn't have a DEF System at all, thankfully. For both our cars we use the vw recommended oil and do the changes at every 5k. The fuel filter we're planning on doing in the next month or so.

Wait what? How? Did someone delete it? Otherwise: Awesome, put a good 5w40 in it if you don't have a DPF or DEF.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

As far as I know, the 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI doesn't have a DEF system? There was a DPF but it was taken out when an aftermarket exhaust was put in. We are going to put the stock exhaust back on, probably.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pine Cone Jones posted:

As far as I know, the 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI doesn't have a DEF system? There was a DPF but it was taken out when an aftermarket exhaust was put in. We are going to put the stock exhaust back on, probably.

Huh apparently Jetta's didn't get Adblue for those years, but Passats did. Odd.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I have a 2015 Golf S TDI and a 2015 SportWagen SE TDI and I love them.

I had a pump seal go bad on the SE and that meant the whole pump and timing belt were replaced. That sucked balls.

Other than that, it’s been fantastic. I get about 500 miles easy per tank with my driving. I drive about 15 miles round trip to work, 10 of which is highway. I always get at least 450 miles when I do more city driving.

Even with higher diesel prices in the last year it has been totally worth it. When the prices were “normal” it was like stealing gas.

Also Adblue is super cheap and easy to refill yourself and my local VW dealers all carry it. I normally only need to refill every 10k miles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dialhforhero posted:

I have a 2015 Golf S TDI and a 2015 SportWagen SE TDI and I love them.

I had a pump seal go bad on the SE and that meant the whole pump and timing belt were replaced. That sucked balls.

Other than that, it’s been fantastic. I get about 500 miles easy per tank with my driving. I drive about 15 miles round trip to work, 10 of which is highway. I always get at least 450 miles when I do more city driving.

Even with higher diesel prices in the last year it has been totally worth it. When the prices were “normal” it was like stealing gas.

Also Adblue is super cheap and easy to refill yourself and my local VW dealers all carry it. I normally only need to refill every 10k miles.

Yeah wife has the 2013 Passat TDI SE with the DSG and absolutely loves it, we recently had to do the turbo because it ate itself, but other than that, its been bulletproof for a car with 220k on it.

My Q7 TDI continues to power through, so much better milage now that I did the DPF delete (up to 30 highway and 24 city versus its original 26 highway and 20 city)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

My husband picked up a 2014 tdi sportwagen 4 years ago and so far and the only issue he's had has been having to replace the stock springs. Which randomly seemed to break over time. After two went he just replaced them all.

That's insane if you really mean the metal springs and not just a failing/leaking damper. I would think you could spray salt and water onto them constantly for 8 years and not have them just up and break.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

VelociBacon posted:

That's insane if you really mean the metal springs and not just a failing/leaking damper. I would think you could spray salt and water onto them constantly for 8 years and not have them just up and break.

These are the front springs (in black) off my brother's '10 Golf, which lived full-time in Illinois/Ohio. Note they both start at the floor oriented the same way, then follow upwards to see where they stop...

Up next I expect one of the CV shafts to rust out. The oil pan I'd changed out probably had another 10 months before it started distributing rust-preventative to the rest of the chassis.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fknlo posted:

How reliable have the 2.0 TDI's been after the dieselgate fixes? They're at somewhat tempting prices due to the cost of diesel.

I got a ‘11 JSW TDI in 2019 that had the fix a month prior and it’s been pretty solid so far, although it’s not my main vehicle.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Literally the springs in this case, though spending most of its life in NH didn't help.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

empty baggie posted:

I got a ‘11 JSW TDI in 2019 that had the fix a month prior and it’s been pretty solid so far, although it’s not my main vehicle.

This would be my commuter for my 75mi each way commute. The only real reason I'm even considering one is that they're a decent amount cheaper than a comparable 3rd gen Prius which has its own set of issues, and that I miss my VW's.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I don't trust hybrids because their batteries are rated around 100k miles I think. Once those bite it the car is essentially a total loss. I would hate to own a car that one day bricks itself and it would 100% always be the better choice to get a new car no matter how well you maintained it or what kind of repairs you wanted to do. All because of the battery.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also, having owned a hybrid I can also tell you that the torque on the TDI is addicting and a real nice change given the anemic engines of a hybrid. I had a 2012 Insight for reference.

I also had a 2008 G6 and even that felt fast compared to the Insight. Switching to the TDIs felt like driving a sports car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

I don't trust hybrids because their batteries are rated around 100k miles I think. Once those bite it the car is essentially a total loss. I would hate to own a car that one day bricks itself and it would 100% always be the better choice to get a new car no matter how well you maintained it or what kind of repairs you wanted to do. All because of the battery.

You can replace the battery in the Prius by yourself. Or you can have someone come do it for you if you live somewhere where other people live. You can get refurbished batteries for like $800. You can have the bad individual cells replaced for far cheaper. If you want to get spendy you can buy a way better than factory lithium battery for like $2k. My main concern with my Prius is the brake actuator because I don't live down the road from a shop that specializes in hybrids any more and they're a complete pain in the rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dialhforhero posted:

Also, having owned a hybrid I can also tell you that the torque on the TDI is addicting and a real nice change given the anemic engines of a hybrid. I had a 2012 Insight for reference.

I also had a 2008 G6 and even that felt fast compared to the Insight. Switching to the TDIs felt like driving a sports car.

torque on Toyota-style hybrids is actually pretty good. Honda IMA was a joke and should not be used as a reference point for anything.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I mean

I wouldn't trust a VW/Audi hybrid

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I mean

I wouldn't trust a VW/Audi hybrid

If they made a Turbodiesel Electric or Hybrid I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

I don't trust hybrids because their batteries are rated around 100k miles I think. Once those bite it the car is essentially a total loss.

Which car is a total loss when it needs a battery replacement? Which one is even no longer functional as a car when it needs a battery replacement?

I'm not saying I like hybrids much.....they have their place, but this sounds like something someone's Very Republican Grandfather would yell out of their Trump 2024-decorated SUV.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
me: man, Passat TDI's are insanely cheap

random people talking in a Passat TDI forum: these things are the biggest pieces of poo poo, I own 4 of them, anyone that buys one is a loving idiot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

me: man, Passat TDI's are insanely cheap

random people talking in a Passat TDI forum: these things are the biggest pieces of poo poo, I own 4 of them, anyone that buys one is a loving idiot.

Like, what are they specifically highlighting is wrong with them? We've had ours for two years and other than the turbo failing at 220,000 miles, its been bulletproof.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Like, what are they specifically highlighting is wrong with them? We've had ours for two years and other than the turbo failing at 220,000 miles, its been bulletproof.

This thread highlights some issues

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I just don't understand why someone would put themselves through that for a Passat of all things.

Isn't it just a cheapened A6? At that rate why not just get an old A6 and dehumanize yourself for a luxury car?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I just don't understand why someone would put themselves through that for a Passat of all things.

Isn't it just a cheapened A6? At that rate why not just get an old A6 and dehumanize yourself for a luxury car?

If you are getting an Audi and not getting Quattro, almost no reason to get the Audi :colbert:

That and the A6 TDI is a rare one in the US. Most common Audi TDIs are the A3, A7, and Q7. You can rarely find a Q5 TDI, but they are far less common.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

If you are getting an Audi and not getting Quattro, almost no reason to get the Audi :colbert:
Big agree.

I miss you, my C5 love. You may have spent most of our relationship thrusting a flaming hot skewer through my balls and rear end, but my god do I miss you

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Big agree.

I miss you, my C5 love. You may have spent most of our relationship thrusting a flaming hot skewer through my balls and rear end, but my god do I miss you

If it makes you feel better, my 4000 Quattro Turbo is currently haunted by electrical gremlins. Why do I love that car.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

wooooo mk7 oil pan leak and thermostat leak under the intake manifold

european cars are a joy

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I looked into this a while ago and the Passat hasn't shared a platform with the A4/A6 since like 2000

Like every nearly other VW product it's built on the MQB (Golf) platform

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Motronic posted:

Which car is a total loss when it needs a battery replacement? Which one is even no longer functional as a car when it needs a battery replacement?

I'm not saying I like hybrids much.....they have their place, but this sounds like something someone's Very Republican Grandfather would yell out of their Trump 2024-decorated SUV.

I base this off of what I assessed my repair price would be on a 2012 Insight with over 140k miles in 2018.

I was fearing the battery going out and was doing a budget on a replacement vs. a new car and at the time, given the value of the car, felt it was best to trade it in now and let some sucker deal with it while I get a new car that fills the same roll of fuel economy traveler and that was when I discovered the TDI. It was a clear choice for me as I intend to drive these two into the ground.

poo poo, the extended warranty alone was a big reason, too. Plus the engine isn’t even reaching a half life until 100k

Also you can run it off of cooking oil and that sounds cool in a doomsday prepper sort of way.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 2, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Also you can run it off of cooking oil and that sounds cool in a doomsday prepper sort of way.

let me know when you actually look in to running a CR TDI on WVO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Most VW/Audi TDIs are ONLY rated for B5 at most, which is 5% Biodiesel and 95% diesel. Anything more and you'll clog the emissions system and it can dilute the oil.

WVO requires significant processing to make it into compatible fuel, its not like the old mechanical injected diesels (which a lot of them got destroyed because straight WVO is acidic and it will chew up the metal inside your injection pump and injectors).

Filtering, Chemical separation, and mechanical separation of impurities is required.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 2, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You’d need a PD to be able to run it on bio, and they’re so loving slow, and at this point a clean example car is a unicorn.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Can I put normal (synthetic) 5W30 in a 2016 Tiguan? Girlfriends car is extremely due, and I'd rather avoid spending $100 on an oil change.

Fwiw, it also has the seemingly dreaded P0016 code that I can't even begin to fathom wanting to fix so I'm not sure oil type matters too much. I'm hoping to magically convert this thing into a 2009 Honda fit soon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You’d need a PD to be able to run it on bio, and they’re so loving slow, and at this point a clean example car is a unicorn.

So many PDs got scrapped because the PD units would go bad and people got shell shock from the cost of the unit injectors.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think my brain has settled on a Golf or SportWagen TDI with a Jetta at the right price also being in contention. You can see a downward trend in prices with reductions all over the place so that's cool.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Hey I ain’t saying I’m actually going to run my car on vegetable oil. I am just saying when the Last if Us becomes real it is just a short term last ditch option :haw:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Hey I ain’t saying I’m actually going to run my car on vegetable oil. I am just saying when the Last if Us becomes real it is just a short term last ditch option :haw:

It isn’t though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It isn’t though

Probably easier to source than gasoline at least.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have what appears to be known online as a MK6 Jetta (it's a 2016 1.4T automatic) and what seems to be completely barebones trim level at 84-85k miles.

I have never owned a car with such low gas mileage (lol), and there's only a modicum of surface rust underneath in places (Had them put it up on the lift and checked everything I could think of), the engine bay is seemingly immaculately clean, it made me realize I should consider thinking about not just the oil, but also the transmission fluid. Should this be something I should bother doing, or am I too late to ensuring it's had this changed? I want to make sure I'm "doing it right" this time around. Google says every 100k miles, but what does the thread think? (never driven or owned a VW before either)

Edit: the car repair guy who I also bought it from says not to do it :thunk:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 10, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've got a lead on a 2011 JSW TDI for $7k. Under 100k miles and dealer serviced with a couple things done recently. Waiting on the VIN, but even if it has some issues that price is probably too good to pass up unless it's an obvious basket case. 2 new tires too as the guy hit a pothole yesterday. I feel like he might just be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sounds dope but thats dieselgate stuff and idk how they are now, I guess obviously you aren’t deterred but that would concern me. My mom has had a gas 11 JSW for over 10 years and it’s been great to her other than her being very rough on the exterior and interior, almost 100k on it as well.