Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I’m really awful at freelancer but it’s great. Managed to get a lot more out of the maps I’ve played 100 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always hated JRPGs and I loving loved DQ11 so :shrug: it’s just so endearing! I did use auto-battle for almost every fight to be fair

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's so good. One of my lifetime gamer goals is gonna be finish a complete hardcore run.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

priznat posted:

Yeah Sega or EA would be my guesses for the alternative purchase plans for msft. Although with the game pass/ea play already in there there would only be some minor benefit to game pass subscribers.

I wonder if Sony would make a stink about FIFA

EA, maybe, but if the FTC would stop Microsoft buying ActiBlizz, then I feel the moment they so much as glanced at Sega the FTC would start making more loud unhappy noises and threatening gestures.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only reason the deal is even hitting a hiccup is because COD is so incredibly massive in the gaming market. I don't think there's a single other purchasable studio that would warrant that same attention.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Snacksmaniac posted:

I’m really awful at freelancer but it’s great. Managed to get a lot more out of the maps I’ve played 100 times.

Yeah and it's cool how if you beat the campaign and are familiar with the tricks and routes on maps that it pays off that knowledge in freelancer.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The best way to actually learn the maps in HITMAN is to do the escalations imho. They really force you to learn possible routes and NPC patterns and stuff. Most people don't even know they exist or understand what they are.

Lots of weird design decisions and ideas with the latest trilogy (mostly from the first being an episodic project and the second being a self-funded Hail Mary) but hell if the final package isn't one of the best collections of content in gaming history.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

There's been huge leaks from 343 about Halo Infinite (complete with a lot of screenshots and gameplay footage - but they're going nuts with takedowns which I don't get because it looks awesome :shrug:) and they have a stupidly huge amount of content that looks finished or close to finished and they should just be left with Halo because they made the most successful game in the franchise and also the best multiplayer. All the leaked stuff for Infinite looks great (and tracks well since 343's other Halo games all had excellent post-launch support) and after giving players infinite content for Infinite after finishing work on Forge mode, apparently they're not only working on Firefight but also trying to integrate AI with Forge mode which will be incredible if they succeed and we finally get to make Firefight Forge content :D

Do you have links to more info on this? Would love to read about it

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ColdPie posted:

Do you have links to more info on this? Would love to read about it

I saw a video of a new weapon earlier and I dunno if it's still up but it was a double barrel shotgun with a kind of mini grav hammer attached (can grav jump with it but it's not a one-hit melee kill) that looks stupidly fun and a flythrough of a high-up mountain map that looked rad along with screenshots of all sorts. There's been a lot of stuff flooding out from a new alpha build that's apparently gone out. Apparently there's 20+ new maps and here's a video showing what's probably coming in the next season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MA0flXrjE

I did read some snippets about planned engine updates such as raytracing and other bells and whistles too but have mainly been paying attention to new maps and toys (apparently there's an Unreal Tournament-styled translocator coming :hellyeah:). Plenty of new armor as well and a new vehicle but maybe that's for the battle royale thing? I found this which still has some stuff up but it's in French:

https://bathrobespartan.news/leak-engine-une-nouvelle-carte-btb-devoilee/

https://bathrobespartan.news/leak-fuite-des-contenus-de-la-saison-4-nouvelles-cartes-multijoueur-espace-forge/

Edit: Also, people are doing really cool things now that forge is in, like remaking classic maps such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq2zkx6kN8g

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 16, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Freelancer rules because it doesn't penalize you that much if and when you gently caress up and have to GO LOUD :blastu:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

If the Activision deal falls through I want Microsoft to buy Sega, or at least RGG, just to stick it to Sony for the poo poo they pull with Square Enix. :catstare:

Buying Japanese companies is hard for foreign entity. It's not even in gaming but in general it's very rare to see western companies acquire Japanese companies. So I don't think a Japanese dev is unlikely, as hated as Ubisoft or EA is they would make more sense and probably would get approved much more easily. Other than Square who are basically in bed with Sony, Xbox gets most of the big publishers games now. You are probably missing some of the more niche JRPG titles but if you are a fan of those you likely have a PC/Switch/PS5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing the remastered version of Cities: Skylines, and not really noticing anything new. Load times didn’t even improve.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seltzer posted:

I gave DQ11 a try on gamepass because "no no man, for real this JRPG executes everything well" and it was the same boring formula found in 95% of jrpgs with an overly long intro and tired rear end plot. It felt like when people say "oh no this assasin's creed is different. I dled the triangle strategy demo and same thing, except and even more simplistic plot. All those JRPGs feel essentially exactly the same to me barring different graphical styles and I think they're tired and paint by numbers. People seem to like them and that's good for them. I guess I'm glad I dont because I feel like I haven't missed out on anything Square has done recently.

I too was duped into trying out DQ11 because it was supposedly a very accessible jrpg. But it is not, it's just a normal jrpg.

I said come in! posted:

Playing the remastered version of Cities: Skylines, and not really noticing anything new. Load times didn’t even improve.

You should now have access to 25 tiles instead of 9, which is probably the biggest draw. Can really make some huge cities where an airport finally makes sense. Also, it comes with a map editor now.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 16, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

jrpgs are fundamentally good. Die, haters

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

SUNKOS posted:

Hypothetically though if Microsoft bought EA (can't ever see it happening but they suck so much I wish this would happen) they should instantly push for Titanfall 3 to begin development (hopefully being able to persuade a lot of ex-Respawn devs to come back now that TF exists again) and then permanently shelve the Need For Speed IP because it sucks, Forza Horizon is better in every single way and it is time for Burnout to make a return :D Bring back SSX too. I would also argue in favor of a Bad Company 2 remake before dumping Dice which could end up in disaster because it's :dice: but maybe just make it their sole project and no timeline for completion with the only stipulation being that it has to literally just be BC2 with better graphics.

Oh, also hire this guy and bring back Road Rash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHz2u-33Y4

I think during the process of submitting evidence for the purchase of Activision Blizzard, part of what Microsoft submitted was details of Sony paying to keep games off Xbox and one of the titles mentioned was FFVII Remake with Sony having apparently renegotiated to make it a permanent exclusive before the one-year period ended. Apparently Sony tried to buy Starfield exclusivity as well while Bethesda was in talks with Microsoft lol.

:hmmyes: Hopefully Phil resurrects some buried IP's either way.

Goldeneye 007 launching straight into the top 5 of the most played games in January (on Xbox) showed that there's definitely a market for nostalgia gaming.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I always hated JRPGs and I loving loved DQ11 so :shrug: it’s just so endearing! I did use auto-battle for almost every fight to be fair

Same

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fanatic posted:

:hmmyes: Hopefully Phil resurrects some buried IP's either way.

Goldeneye 007 launching straight into the top 5 of the most played games in January (on Xbox) showed that there's definitely a market for nostalgia gaming.

Yeah, that's the appeal for if Activision Blizzard succeeds, is seeing old IPs finally return like Tony Hawk (the THPS1&2 remake was amazing and 3&4 should get the same treatment) and hell, even Guitar Hero making a comeback would be great, even if it was just a remastered best-of collection. We need a new Prototype game as well, the first two were great and it's criminal that the IP was allowed to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuS6ZJrfZXQ

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The only thing I'd like from the whole Activision-Blizzard purchase is MS putting the whole catalog on a deep discount so I can grab a few of the older Call of Duty games that I don't have digital copies (CoD MW, MW2 and Black Ops 1 and 2).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Still in disbelief that the Modern Warfare 2 remaster was singleplayer-only. Would be so good if they made a compilation remaster of the multiplayer from the original three Modern Warfare games (all the maps and perks and weapons and DLC etc.) and just released it as one packaged game. Would probably kill the COD IP since why would anyone ever need another COD game again but it would be worth it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I spent hundreds of hours of MW2 mp with goons on my 360 and the co-op missions were super fun too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SUNKOS posted:

Still in disbelief that the Modern Warfare 2 remaster was singleplayer-only. Would be so good if they made a compilation remaster of the multiplayer from the original three Modern Warfare games (all the maps and perks and weapons and DLC etc.) and just released it as one packaged game. Would probably kill the COD IP since why would anyone ever need another COD game again but it would be worth it.

It's 100% why they didn't do it. It was the most popular CoD for a long rear end time. I still think it's basically perfect, although WW2 was shockingly good with the way loadouts worked. If it had been in a game with less MTX bullshit and better maps, it would have also been insanely popular.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the co-op specops missions in MW2 are the most fun I’ve ever had playing a game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Martman posted:

jrpgs are fundamentally good. Die, haters

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Buy Activision and reboot Space Quest.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Yeah and it's cool how if you beat the campaign and are familiar with the tricks and routes on maps that it pays off that knowledge in freelancer.

Yea it helps knowing a way around the map but some of the bonus money kills are still tricky. I couldn't figure out how to make florida man slip in Berlin.

Also throwing my vote in to never really being interested in JRPGs. Though I have beat Chrono Trigger three times.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Release Heretic II drat it. Then remake Heretic/Hexen.

Edit: And Blur!

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 16, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Does Microsoft own the rights to Otogi?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Not a clue but if From Software started making Xbox exclusives again then the first should be a new Chromehounds game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Looking forward to this one.

https://twitter.com/TrueAchievement/status/1626172806663741440?s=20

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I spent hundreds of hours of MW2 mp with goons on my 360 and the co-op missions were super fun too.

MW2 at launch was a special time. Going to high school at the time, I remember all the guys in my class just waiting to go back home on launch day, we all stayed up that night and the next day in school we were all half asleep. The hype for MW2 was unreal, I mean MW1 had hype but no one knew it would be that good, the whole package. The multiplayer progression, the singleplayer, the maps. It was bang on. MW2 had way worse balance but it really felt like an arcade shooter with how fast it was and how crazy the killstreaks were at the time.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

SUNKOS posted:

Not a clue but if From Software started making Xbox exclusives again then the first should be a new Chromehounds game.

I'd never even heard of this until now. fromsoft has such a funny combination of games they like to make.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

John F Bennett posted:

Speaking as a huge Space Quest fan, this is a bad idea. A new SQ game will never be as fun as the first three games were.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SUNKOS posted:

even Guitar Hero making a comeback would be great, even if it was just a remastered best-of collection

decided to look into getting the legacy adapter and Rock Band 4 because gently caress paying for more plastic instruments and GOOD GOD AMIGHTY

SUNKOS posted:

ah I remember when people said this about BF2042 Portal

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

External Organs posted:

I'd never even heard of this until now. fromsoft has such a funny combination of games they like to make.

Yeah it was a huge departure from their established mech games (Armored Core) and was online-only, slow and very tactical (you even had to capture comm towers just to talk to teammates) with a constant online war between three factions (players choose which faction to join at the start) which was ever evolving on the map as different nations made progress from online battles and it was a hugely popular launch window game for 360. A lot of people here played the game up until the servers got shut down. Each nation had a boss as well which was some stupidly huge mech which was the last obstacle to beat one of the three nations and I remember people sharing videos at the time all "Look at this poo poo!" but I don't think any of the three sides ever actually "won" the war before the game was shut down.

One of the most innovative and interesting (and incredibly fun) multiplayer games I've ever played though, and definitely up there with the greats. So many interesting maps as well which were all huge and catered to differing play styles and were unique from fighting in sandstorms in the desert and overheating enemies with incendiary howitzers to fighting in cities at night and trying to track where the enemy was by tracer fire to stomping around mountains and the damage model for the mechs allowing weapons (and even the sights for them) to be destroyed which hosed you if the enemy had a good sniper with good positioning etc.

gently caress it was so good :negative:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

ah I remember when people said this about BF2042 Portal

I was genuinely excited for that but still refused to touch the game at launch because it's still Battlefield and Dice is :dice: and I was sad it turned out as usual. EA's stubborn insistence on pushing bad IPs while superior ones collect dust makes no sense to me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BF2042 is in a much better place now, they brought back the class system, balance seems to be ok as well. It's on gamepass as well. Runs great on PC.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

decided to look into getting the legacy adapter and Rock Band 4 because gently caress paying for more plastic instruments and GOOD GOD AMIGHTY

Are those legacy adapters still available? I remember getting two by accident, one's still new in box.
Gonna break out the instruments on Saturday and try and get 1 million points in a songs with some friends. :black101:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Are those legacy adapters still available? I remember getting two by accident, one's still new in box.
Gonna break out the instruments on Saturday and try and get 1 million points in a songs with some friends. :black101:

They are available used for more than an Xbox Series S. I will part with mine only when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

e: since they're still putting out dlc I really wish Tencent would put some of their money into making some more instruments. The legacy adapter has its own limitations that are frustrating if there's more than one person in your household that would like to play and track scores. If one person is singing and another is playing an instrument it's fine, because singers can just plug a USB mic in. If you play guitar/bass/drums via the legacy adapter, only one gamertag is signed in for all 3 instruments so only that one person gets to set high scores.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 16, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Been playing this on Steam Deck, it runs but not perfectly. Here's hoping the Xbox Series X version is a bit more stable/polished.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I gave DQ11 a try on gamepass because "no no man, for real this JRPG executes everything well" and it was the same boring formula found in 95% of jrpgs with an overly long intro and tired rear end plot. It felt like when people say "oh no this assasin's creed is different. I dled the triangle strategy demo and same thing, except and even more simplistic plot. All those JRPGs feel essentially exactly the same to me barring different graphical styles and I think they're tired and paint by numbers. People seem to like them and that's good for them. I guess I'm glad I dont because I feel like I haven't missed out on anything Square has done recently.

The "same boring formula found in 95% of jrpgs" is because they're aping DQ, not the other way around. DQ is the long-running "king" of that style of RPG, and the series is basically comfort food. You know what you're going to get from each game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

You should now have access to 25 tiles instead of 9, which is probably the biggest draw. Can really make some huge cities where an airport finally makes sense. Also, it comes with a map editor now.

Fair! That is a pretty big advantage. Either way, I am liking this game now. It actually took me years to finally understand Cities: Skylines. For the longest time I was having big time boomer energy about it, and preferred Simcity 3000 over it. Skylines wasn't making sense to me. One thing I wish you could do is hide all of the icons that popup over buildings when something maybe needs your attention. I would rather check on that on my own when I am ready, not see it making my city look ugly.