Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've been considering joining a hunt Discord to farm a bit/get pings for boss FATEs, but they do seem sort of... intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

If you CAN kill it there's no reason why you shouldn't. It's a self solving problem because with actually current content you're not gonna be able to kill it anyway so it'll be left for the trains.

I'd say it's probably courteous to throw up a PF if you spot an S-rank out in the wild, but for a StB or earlier A-rank? gently caress em, they get enough seals as it is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, I've gotten angry whispers for killing random ARR & HW A ranks while out and about.

I can't believe I need to say this but supporting a particular type of hunting organized on out-of-game discords is not a moral imperative. You are allowed to just kill these specific mobs that the game tells you that you should kill as you encounter them (assuming you can, anyhow).

Giving someone grief for killing hunt targets is against the ToS, and you can report people for it if it happens to you and they're being obnoxious.

A few weeks ago people on my server gathered up for an S-rank someone on our server had popped, and afterwards someone from ANOTHER server was bawling us out because we hadn't coordinated through her discord or something.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

learning that one of the rare hunt/fate trackers has a special view that shows the actual spawn times before they're widely reported was all I needed to know about the glorious ffxiv hunt community

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If I'm lucky enough to stumble on an ARR S Rank before one of the many, many, hunt trackers discover it, it's mine and mine alone.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

They're rarer now but older trains do still happen. It was post-EW that I happened to kill a random A rank in La Noscea just before a hunt train came in looking for it, and I hurriedly teleported away before they got to the exact location and found me standing over the monster's corpse

If this ever happens to me I'm just going to /deride the hunt train before teleporting out. Any pissy tells will be blocked and reported for harassment :smuggo:

So happy they added that emote.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Antivehicular posted:

I've been considering joining a hunt Discord to farm a bit/get pings for boss FATEs, but they do seem sort of... intense.

If you get into faloop discord and join the odd a rank hunt train it's a pretty chill time with plenty of tomes, materia crystals and nutsacks as a reward. There is probably drama under the surface but if you're just following the train zerg you don't need to pay much attention to any of that nonsense.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

what's a hunt train? I'd like to avoid stepping on that rake for now

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Typically it's just a group of people that group up (multiple 8-man groups) that roll around zone to zone, server to server, killing the world spawn A and S rank hunts out there. People join and leave as it fancies them.

Most involved are chill, but some of them go absolutely bonkers if you kill a mob just out in the world when the train isn't there, or otherwise have the hunt community as their own personally fiefdom that they derive validation from.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

God Hole posted:

Hunt marks are special enemies that can spawn in overworked zones and the major ones need large groups to kill, like a world boss. There are discords which organise hunt trains, where they will scout out where hunt marks have spawned (or even do the required work to trigger them) and someone will post a train start point. A bunch of people gather there in parties and the *conductor* calls out coordinates where the marks are. Everyone flies there, murders the mark with overwhelming numbers, and moves on.

Killing hunt marks gives a bunch of tomestones, crystals that can be converted into materia, and special hunt currency for buying other cool poo poo.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

God Hole posted:

You will also recognise them occasionally in the wild if you see a bunch of people goofing off on the fanciest mounts they own as they prep to all rush to the next hunt target.

Here's some cute art of what it looks like to see one go by.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
In my experience hunt trains are only run for one server at a time.

There's probably a hunt linkshell you'd need an invite to in-game on your server, perhaps a datacenter-wide one. I'm in a hunt discord but I only have it for S-rank pops. The linkshell I'm in has people calling out their own trains, and a guy who notifies us about trains on other servers.

Anyway the hunt requires a certain amount of rank with your grand company to unlock, and then there are marks you can hunt. They're divided into unranked, B, A, S, and kind-of-SS.

Unranked hunts are there mostly for XP, normal overworld enemies give you some and a couple seals or nutsacks when you defeat 1-3 of them.
B-rank hunts are weekly targets and can spawn in a large number of locations. When you defeat one it'll respawn 5 seconds later at a different random location in the same zone.
A-ranks are what the hunt trains are for, they spawn on a timer and give a good amount of seals/nutsacks and some tomestones.

S-ranks have long spawn timers and also random spawn requirements, like traveling across a zone in a rented chocobo or mining a specific thing or bringing a lot of a specific minion to the spawn point, or often just killing a lot of a certain kind of enemy. They have to be intentionally spawned and it is rude to start attacking one before everyone shows up for it.

SS-ranks aren't a "real" rank but in the last two expansions, defeating an S-rank has a chance at starting the SS-spawn process. They're worth a shitload of nutsacks.

e: the unranked and B-rank hunts get picked up at the relevant expansion's hunt board, there aren't any ingame marks for A or S ranks that I know of, other than the S-rank "You sense the presence of a powerful mark." chat notification if you're in a zone when it spawns, or enter a zone where one has spawned.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 16, 2023

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

God Hole posted:

There's an activity called The Hunt you unlock at level 50, which involves killing specific monsters for a type of currency (Alliance Seals in older expansions, Sacks of Nuts in the newest two). It's basically a repeatable, expanded version of the Hunting Log you get when you start the game. Hunt targets come in various ranks.
- "C-ranks" are normal overworld mobs. You get a new set of mobs each week from the hunt board in each expansion.
- B-ranks are named overworld mobs that respawn very quickly (minutes). You get a set target each week from the hunt board.
- A-ranks are rare random spawns. There are usually two per zone, with a 5ish hour respawn. Anyone who helps kill them gets credit, you don't need to have them as a specific target.
- S-ranks are very rare spawns that spawn maybe twice a week. They usually require specific, annoying actions to spawn, like killing lots of particular type of mob during a particular weather type.

Killing A and S ranks gives a lot of the hunt-specific currency, which can be used to buy things that are cool and or useful. For example, you can buy mounts, materia, endgame gear upgrade materials, etc. So there are (often datacenter-specific) communities that organize "trains" where multiple full 8-man groups blow through every spawn that's currently available on the entire data center for a given expansion.

Hunt trains themselves are fine, and most of the hunt community is perfectly sane. It's a popular activity! I've used the aforementioned Faloop! community, which is the main hunt organizer on the Chaos DC, to finish up a bunch of old rare achievement FATEs that I'd missed. Everyone I interacted with in that process was perfectly nice.

As with most things video games, though, some people get weird about it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

You can't do the "what talking doll?" trick if you have other characters very clearly responding to the talking doll!
Yeah, it was an odd way of ending the story, although the Elder notes that he too had a similar experience.
As for why the WoL remembers everything (gaslighting option aside) I'm going to assume it's the Echo doing its thing.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Spuzzz posted:

Sorry, but it’s a contender for the best just because of the music.

A thousand times this. The atmosphere is *amazing*.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the design and atmosphere of Pharos are really cool, and the story's decent -- it just sucks to play.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Hunt trains themselves are fine, and most of the hunt community is perfectly sane. It's a popular activity! I've used the aforementioned Faloop! community, which is the main hunt organizer on the Chaos DC, to finish up a bunch of old rare achievement FATEs that I'd missed. Everyone I interacted with in that process was perfectly nice.

I've been on dozens of trains and the only drama I've ever seen was one time when someone was running ahead and pulling marks before their position was given in shout chat, so the conductor got mad and logged out.

They're by far the easiest and most time efficient method of grinding tomes in the entire game. If you do the three (well, two and a half really) you need to cap your capped tomes for the week you'll also have so many poetics and uncapped tomes you'll run out of things to spend them on. They're also great for some rare achievements. Do them on a healer or RDM and you'll have that one achievement for rezzing a shitload of people not in your own party in no time.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Theris posted:

Do them on a healer or RDM and you'll have that one achievement for rezzing a shitload of people not in your own party in no time.

My plan for this achievement is to go to Bozja on my SMN and pick up the cannon fodder in between blowing up baddies with my magic space dragon.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bewilderment posted:

You will also recognise them occasionally in the wild if you see a bunch of people goofing off on the fanciest mounts they own as they prep to all rush to the next hunt target.

Here's some cute art of what it looks like to see one go by.

this game are sick

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hunt trains are always hilarious to me because usually what happens is I'll be bumming around gathering or whatever, and then like 50 nerds come pouring out of the aetherite and descend on the zone like locusts.

You can see smaller scale versions if this if you're farming up rare mats on timers. You'll get to a node and see like 10 people loitering around 30 seconds before it pops.

Also, it's a few pages back but it took me almost a year of playing as a tank main before I learned about the Slow effect on Arm's Length, and I wholly recommend ditching the guides for anything short of savage content. With normal content, aside from maybe your first guide or two on what mechanics in general look like, you'll build your skills in knowing what comes next as you experience mechanics and learn the tells for each type of movement. And that skill will remain useful once you've decided to dip your toes into extremes and savages because you'll be quicker to pick up on what the more unique mechanics want you to do since you've already trained your brain to interrogate what a new boss is doing in the moment.

I did Endwalker EX4 blind because two people in my savage prog group at the time wanted to run it and said, "hey lets do EX4 party finder don't worry about what mario kart means you'll be fine." Did I feel fine? No, it was every bit as chaotic as people claimed it to be when the patch first came out. Was I actually fine? Yes, we cleared on the second attempt and I also got my weapon. And site reading the first post-Endwalker MSQ dungeon was tons of fun too. I can probably do the final boss fight blindfolded from muscle memory at this point since I used the fact that the rest of my party all died to mechanics to "grandstand" against it 1v1 until I'd absolutely mastered its patterns.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 16, 2023

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I had an opportunity to grandstand the boss of the 85 dungeon on PLD, but declined. I'm fully confident I could've soloed the boss, but I didn't want to subject my party to the tedium. Speaking of guides, I went into that sans guide and with a bit of observation on fellow party members and what hit me I was quickly able to figure out the mechanics. I still kept eating an avoidable hit by getting overearger and Intervening my way right into the danger zone rather than waiting half a second, however. I regret nothing.

I'm also super appreciative of the folks who'll stick around at the end of the dungeon/trial and tell me to enjoy the story after I announce at the start that it's my first time running the content. They're cool people, and I appreciate their patience.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I had an opportunity to grandstand the boss of the 85 dungeon on PLD, but declined. I'm fully confident I could've soloed the boss, but I didn't want to subject my party to the tedium. Speaking of guides, I went into that sans guide and with a bit of observation on fellow party members and what hit me I was quickly able to figure out the mechanics. I still kept eating an avoidable hit by getting overearger and Intervening my way right into the danger zone rather than waiting half a second, however. I regret nothing.

I'm also super appreciative of the folks who'll stick around at the end of the dungeon/trial and tell me to enjoy the story after I announce at the start that it's my first time running the content. They're cool people, and I appreciate their patience.

Sticking around to cheer for the sprout is one of the small joys in life.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I gave our healer pats after we squeaked through new-Ultima, after I had to pick his rear end up twice. Not his fault, he was trying and failing to keep the braindead flower bard alive so much that he neglected his own survival.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I had an opportunity to grandstand the boss of the 85 dungeon on PLD, but declined.

Tank soloing a dungeon boss is acceptable if it has....maybe 20% HP left? Otherwise it's faster to wipe and start over with the whole party. Unless it's the 3rd+ attempt at that boss, in which case gently caress it, they can sit and watch for a while.

Theris fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 16, 2023

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Theris posted:

Tank soloing a dungeon boss is acceptable if it has....maybe 20% HP left? Otherwise it's faster to wipe and start over with the whole party. Unless it's the 3rd+ attempt at that boss, in which case gently caress it, they can sit and watch for a while.

It was at about 50%, so... yeah. I just walked into the danger zone at the edge and let it murder me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Theris posted:

No, they have to learn and sit and watch in their shame.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I could solo the boss from 50%, but I'm a paladin so my damage sucks and I'd get bored so I won't.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Theris posted:

the exception is if your party starts cheering you on

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tank grandstanding is part of tank privilege, use it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Broke: Continuing to solo when the healer dies
Woke: Walking into the fire so you can restart as a group
Bespoke: As Warrior or Paladin, pull the rest of the group, sans healer, through the fight with your own heals and mitigation

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

those are the situations where you find out which, if any, of the dps know how to use their mits and heals

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

bewilderment posted:

Bespoke: As Warrior or Paladin, pull the rest of the group, sans healer, through the fight with your own heals and mitigation
This is why I main WAR and PLD.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oneiros posted:

those are the situations where you find out which, if any, of the dps know how to use their mits and heals

The healer fell over on a Porta Decumana, the other DPS fell over shortly after, and my NIN dropped his weighted training boxers and started doing full Savage rotations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oneiros posted:

I had one of those where the healer died right at the start and I had to keep figuring out who to Nascent Flash based on whether the melee dps could currently keep themselves up with blood for blood. I think we lost the bard near the end through attrition and a misstep somewhere but we cleared it and everyone gamed out of their minds.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Speaking from experience, GNB can do it too. Heart of Corundum (always after Brutal Shell) and Aurora on the DPS when they start getting too low for comfort. Not as easy as WAR or PLD though. Way easier than grandstanding too, because the boss dies faster so you can afford to sacrifice some of your self heal because you won't be taking as much damage in total, so the slow bleed of your own health over the fight becomes less critical.

I've been on the healer side of the equation before too. I've never felt more redundant than when I got flattened during the first 5 seconds of a fight and watched the PLD drag the rest of the group through it.

Playing tank in 14 just scratches all my power fantasy itches. There's enough kit on them that you can pull off some clutch wins when things start to go south, and the cheering after those wins feels so good.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

heck, depending on the boss and how good the dps are you can do it with drk too. tbn basically negates a raidwide or targeted aoe which is really nice on the squishier dps (hope that blm is actually doing damage)

nu living dead basically gives you an invuln + heal to full too, if you get the timing right

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 16, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

but yeah, carrying the dps thru a dungeon boss after the healer goes down in the first 15 seconds are some of my favorite tanking experiences in the game

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
It is a great experience! I recall back in either ARR or HW era carrying 2 DPS through the last boss of Cutter's Cry as a WAR. One or both DPS kept having trouble with the attacks and healer got fed up and left. This was back when Inner Beast had a small self heal and a defense buff. Anyway, I just took my gigantic stack of various potions I had accumulated and called the attacks while desperately keeping myself alive and we managed to pull through! I had no way to heal the DPS, but I can't recall if either of them died eventually and I had to solo it or if they managed to avoid attacks well enough to survive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I had that in Snowcloak once.

The healer disconnected right outside Fenrir and we sat in the queue trying to find another for 20 minutes with no luck. So we just decided why not. I was shocked how easy it was. Snowcloak is level 50 so I didn't even have a heal yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Is Excalibur like permanently closed to new character creation? I've tried to create a character at even the most off-peak hours I could and character creation was still disallowed.