Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had that thought of what I would do if I had that kind of money and I'd probably fund a number of public gardens across the US for people to enjoy. I love Carnegie libraries and the one in my hometown growing up was a big part of why I love reading today, so I can say that Andrew Carnegie has had a big impact on me personally through being a public works rich guy, and I am sure that kind of philanthropical pursuit does not even slightly factor into Elon's noodle brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Heath posted:

I had that thought of what I would do if I had that kind of money and I'd probably fund a number of public gardens across the US for people to enjoy. I love Carnegie libraries and the one in my hometown growing up was a big part of why I love reading today, so I can say that Andrew Carnegie has had a big impact on me personally through being a public works rich guy, and I am sure that kind of philanthropical pursuit does not even slightly factor into Elon's noodle brain

That's literally the entire point of Roko's Basilisk and Effective Altruism. They convince the rich people that simply being a rich person in tech in and of itself is a far greater benefit to humanity than anything else.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The Getty Center is pretty classy for an murderous oilman too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think I would instantly be arrested for funding terrorism

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Elon’s a little unique in that while a lot of them want to be liked, he wants to be liked for being a funny poster specifically

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

PostNouveau posted:

The Waltons built a $1 billion art museum in the middle of nowhere Arkansas, and as far as monuments to the ego of the ultrawealthy go, it's pretty great. At least I can buy a ticket and go enjoy it for an afternoon.

They also turned Bentonville (where the museum is) into a world class Mountain Bike destination.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Australian mineral billionaire Clive Palmer bought his favorite golf course and covered it in giant dinosaur statues.

Much better than Musk's epic memelord bullshit.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Australian mineral billionaire Clive Palmer bought his favorite golf course and covered it in giant dinosaur statues.

Much better than Musk's epic memelord bullshit.

if you're mega rich and don't do stupid poo poo like this all the time you should be ashamed.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

porfiria posted:

What I don’t get is why these dudes never make an insane 500 million dollar movie or tv show or performance art or something. Wouldn’t that be more fun than stupid business bullshit?

I think the deal is that if you're someone who "makes" a billion dollars you're a business psycho lizard person. People like Bezos or Gates don't really want anything outside of being a corporate king. The acquisition of power and wealth is the goal, not what you can do with that power or wealth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bobjr posted:

Elon’s a little unique in that while a lot of them want to be liked, he wants to be liked for being a funny poster specifically

It's bizarre how lazy he is about it - liking tweets and then reposting them without attribution and most of time wording it so it's less funny. Everyone can see you liked the tweet man!

He's still got it:

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1624843635421315073?s=20&t=yrbsSP1UX3O4ci8yLaRecA

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 12, 2023

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/doughenwood/status/1624961002960822274?s=46&t=2VDhBCbIsv3q2ZKXLYdd9w

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

He's so good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Arbitrary use of quotation marks to denote sarcasm is one of my favorite old people posting tics

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
He’s right.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

General Dog posted:

Arbitrary use of quotation marks to denote sarcasm is one of my favorite old people posting tics

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

he's back at it folks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know if Felix really is an egg but his 'I suspect I'm gay but also I'm not attracted to guys??' really takes me back lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Who can we get to direct Bank Train

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

No Dignity posted:

I don't know if Felix really is an egg but his 'I suspect I'm gay but also I'm not attracted to guys??' really takes me back lol

I’d like to hear him do a real deep conversation about masculinity. It’s a shame there aren’t any good trans podcasts he could guest on.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

"buhh sorry I'm late guys i only slept 14 hours cause the pussy I got installed kept me up late"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Felix is microdosing the darkweb gay potion

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Best part of this ep was Will talking about Trump training like Rocky and then Felix immediately talking about how he should train like a boxer.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Heath posted:

I think I’d maybe start by paying my employees a fair wage so they have the money and leisure time to buy and read their own books

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Matt went on Masters of Our Domain and was a hilariously bad guest. They had to keep prompting him to say anything.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

he's literally disabled but go off

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

TerminalSaint posted:

Matt went on Masters of Our Domain and was a hilariously bad guest. They had to keep prompting him to say anything.

never usually a problem with matt. assuming its a bad pod. (never heard of it)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

he's literally disabled but go off

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

Listening now out of curiosity plus I like Seinfeld. The hosts go on too long riffs that aren’t very funny and kind of speak in a way to each other where Matt can’t get in much of a word.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
so matt's an LA podcast guy now... just a matter of time before he intersects with paul f tompkins

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
And then has a falling out with Paul F Tompkins

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

a man after the Christman’s own heart
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1625911729942147072?s=20

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

TerminalSaint posted:

I listened to one of his Talking Simpsons episodes as well and he said maybe three sentences (The Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington one). The live show he did with them was great, though.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Flaskraven posted:

I listened to one of his Talking Simpsons episodes as well and he said maybe three sentences (The Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington one). The live show he did with them was great, though.

His Talking Simpsons episode with Virgil (George Bush Snr ep) was great and you could tell how passionate they were about it, but I heard him guest on some other podcast during his weird gnostic phase and it was dogshit.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah the one with Virgil was actually really good. Lots of fun.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Dr.Radical posted:

The hosts go on too long riffs that aren’t very funny and kind of speak in a way to each other where Matt can’t get in much of a word.

These are the same people that do Trash Future, right? If so I’m not surprised

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Proust Malone posted:

I think I’d maybe start by paying my employees a fair wage so they have the money and leisure time to buy and read their own books

Free time yes, but it's much more efficient for people to use a library than to buy their own books.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm glad the NYT has done a big poopoo in its pants, sounds like a good reading series is on the way.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Felix will end up as both Muslim and trans, and honestly? Good for him

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Literally just becoming Alice Caldwell Kelly from Trashfuture, The UK Chapo knock off that's focused on Tech Startups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Felix is ftw, unlike that chick, who is fail