Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Smoove posted:

Any Steam/Destiny gurus that may know a workaround for this. (when you uninstall on steam with cross play it takes it off console too it seems?)
Trying to find what is going on with online fixes and just had to download again on Xbox.

For whatever reason uninstalling both Steam and D2 it keeps pausing the update. Nothing I’ve found online has worked short of going into BIOS settings and playing with those.

Interestingly enough, other stuff on steam loads fine like AimBot though it likes to freeze up too, maybe time to put the rig down and replace it? I’m just massively confused on how it was running so good but now it’s trash.

You link your system accounts on Bungie’s website. Uninstalling the game doesn’t remove that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Taken enemies are an inversion of their natural form, and Servitors are Machines That Provide Sustenance

So I guess a Taken Servitor would be a ... meaty alive thing that consumes food?

They're also notably not actually called 'Taken Servitor'. They're either named, or they just go by their species name which is apparently "Chimera" (suggesting they're made of multiple monster parts rather than sourced from one thing)

I don't think we have a good clean answer but it's worth noting that their initial appearances are related to Uldren, who was a real Eliksneeaboo. Specifically during the chapter of his life that the Deep was trying to commune with him, and Savathun was trying to blow him off course. It's no surprise that this is where taken servitors would start popping up.

Variks knew that Prime Servitors created ether, so he wondered if dark ether came from a hypothetical 'Taken Prime Servitor'. He asked Fikrul if he (Fikrul) had betrayed Kaliks Prime to the Taken. Fikrul said he didn't need to, because the scorn don't rely on servitors for dark ether.

Dark ether came into existence when Riven granted Uldren's wish to revive the Eliksni Archon Fikrul, and Riven combined the Darkness in Uldren with the Ether in Fikrul to make Dark Ether which anybody and everybody can use these days to rez dead fallen as Scorn

No coincidence that the first 'Chimera' we see is a Riven creation as well (Voice of Riven), which 'Riven' (Savathun) used to manipulate Uldren and get him kicked out of Disciple Training. Xivu Arath also had a Chimera of her own (the final boss of Forsaken's Broken Courier plot), but it's unknown if she created it, or if it was a gift from Savathun.

The only other 'real' Chimera is a Blind Well boss. The Chimeras in Gambit and Reckoning are not real and were made by The Haul

Something noteworthy - Archons and Prime Servitors had a symbiotic relationship. The 'taken' version of a duo would be a Single Creature. Plus, it not only provides the fleshy bits (the archon), but also plays into the Chimera name. In general it's also not possible to 'Take' machines (Vex are living organic matter, remember) but equipment such as a gun or shield can be 'taken' along with its wielder. Best guess is that any Chimera is a taken Archon & Prime Servitor duo

That is both helpful and interesting, thank you!

Smoove posted:

Any Steam/Destiny gurus that may know a workaround for this. (when you uninstall on steam with cross play it takes it off console too it seems?)
Trying to find what is going on with online fixes and just had to download again on Xbox.

For whatever reason uninstalling both Steam and D2 it keeps pausing the update. Nothing I’ve found online has worked short of going into BIOS settings and playing with those.

Interestingly enough, other stuff on steam loads fine like AimBot though it likes to freeze up too, maybe time to put the rig down and replace it? I’m just massively confused on how it was running so good but now it’s trash.

run sfc /scannow from the command line.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't forget that higher FoV apparently moves the reticle away from the point of impact for some guns (Crimson!) and has a weird influence on sniper rifle ADS behavior...

All else equal, higher FoV is good, but it does some weird stuff in a few cases

Any comprehensive list of which guns are affected by higher FoV?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't forget that higher FoV apparently moves the reticle away from the point of impact for some guns (Crimson!) and has a weird influence on sniper rifle ADS behavior...

All else equal, higher FoV is good, but it does some weird stuff in a few cases

I never knew this lol wtf

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Also at what point is it noticeable? Default FOV is 75 I believe, so is 90 too much? 80? 120? I dunno what high FOV is defined as to be honest.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Failson posted:

Humans. Apparently the only sentient race in the universe that doesn't get physically larger the more powerful they get.

how do you explain titans, the most powerful class

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kith posted:

how do you explain titans, the most powerful class

The most powerful class is actually the snappily dressed Mediterraneans in their fine tailoring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://youtu.be/2VJWfrI5SPs

This started a few minutes ago.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/paultassi/status/1626238015755669504?s=46&t=okIAaCDhbbLGMSak96-l-A

this article’s longer than I thought, I’m still getting through it… Neomuna is a big rear end empty zone with only one LZ

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 16, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

kept an eye out during the vidoc's buildcrafting segment, this is what i was able to pull

lots of interesting details, probably my favorite is that holster mods are being moved to elements rather than weapon families

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 16, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kith posted:

lots of interesting details, probably my favorite is that holster mods are being moved to elements rather than weapon families

Same for unflinching aim looks like

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wow Devrim is getting new lines

I'm also pretty excited for the new exotic sidearm with the lock-on targeting

that arcade LS looks fantastic

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Kith posted:

kept an eye out during the vidoc's buildcrafting segment, this is what i was able to pull

My eyes popped open 150% at the same portion. Interface actually does look pretty slick! So it looks like armor charges are sustained like current CwL, unless you are using a mod that causes them to decay. These mods may give stat bonuses, but they are not "always on" like current Powerful Friends, Radiant Light, etc. So basically these new stat boosting mods work like the fragment options we have now. Hopefully they provide similarly large buffs like many of the 3.0 subclass fragments, too.

Exciting times, I still anticipate spending at least an hour before campaign proper getting all that worked out (I am very dumb)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If there's a kinetic surge I'm gonna be happy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

This is something they highlighted in the buildcraft preview. On one hand I sort of wish I could just have "heavy ammo finder" or something, but this might lead to more powerful builds since you can synergize your heavy and special weapons.

Though, I kind of feel like it will further increase my annoyance at the lack of certain stasis special weapons (Glaive, Waveframe BGL)

e: Oh wait, there is "special ammo scout" I guess it's not solar ammo finder then?
e2: What's the very first holster icon before all the element ones? Looks like a yin-yang, guessing it might be "balanced" - lower energy cost, lower effect, applies to all?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 16, 2023

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
small detail but Triumphs is getting renamed Journey (seems connected to the guardian rank system). And a big guardian rank number under the power level

https://twitter.com/destinybulletn/status/1626246318191706112

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot drat look at all those wasted stats.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

wacky sword alert

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RBX posted:

If there's a kinetic surge I'm gonna be happy.

I have good news for you, my friend:

Right next to Void Weapon Surge are a bunch of similar looking three-dot-with-weapon-damage-type mods and one of them has the Kinetic icon.

Oxyclean posted:

e2: What's the very first holster icon before all the element ones? Looks like a yin-yang, guessing it might be "balanced" - lower energy cost, lower effect, applies to all?

My guess is Harmonic (weapon matching your subclass element), given that Harmonic Siphon is a thing on Helmets right now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh that might make more sense. Harmonic already has the "lower cost" factor.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Vidoc good. Excited to play in a couple weeks and throw my green jizz webs all over everything

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hmm I remember Forsaken Era was kinda clunky with some mods being multiple Weapon Types (small arms loader, precision targeting) but some mods were Ammo Types (heavy ammo finder, special ammo scavenger)

Some parts of this feel like change for the sake of change but fingers are crossed

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i remember when loader mods were elementally coded and that was extremely :shepicide:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol

https://twitter.com/destinybulletn/status/1626264193937870857

just gonna keep using DIM then

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, how often do you need to put armor back into the vault? With the new system you're probably not going to be carrying multiple armor sets besides the extra exotics and pieces so you can swap exotics around. Loadout will still handle all the mod swapping and do it faster then DIM could, in activity too.

Granted, you'll probably still be using DIM for gun management because there's no way the loadout system is going to ever make that not a nightmare.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Kith posted:

i remember when loader mods were elementally coded and that was extremely :shepicide:

I don't even know why they pushed so hard for that system, that it took this long for them to abandon it years after it was shown to be garbage.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, how often do you need to put armor back into the vault? With the new system you're probably not going to be carrying multiple armor sets besides the extra exotics and pieces so you can swap exotics around. Loadout will still handle all the mod swapping and do it faster then DIM could, in activity too.

Granted, you'll probably still be using DIM for gun management because there's no way the loadout system is going to ever make that not a nightmare.

Weapons are part of a Loadout, right? Won't it cause issues if one or more of my weapon slots is full and I try to use Loadout, even if my armor slots are empty?

Of course I can just stop holding the iPhone wrong keep all my slots empty and simply end each play session with a trip to the tower to deposit my loots into the vault, but this is like... borderline comical to me :laugh: Even the DIM guy, a hobbyist, knew it would be an issue if builds could only Withdraw and not Deposit

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm hoping you can exclude weapons from loadout, but yeah, it's going to be a headache if the game is always having/trying to pull guns from your vault.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Ahahahahaah

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

I don't even know why they pushed so hard for that system, that it took this long for them to abandon it years after it was shown to be garbage.

the reason it was there in the first place is because they were terrified of making the system TOO good and TOO accessible, otherwise players' Content Engagement would drop because they wouldn't have to grind as much to get all of the things that they wanted/needed. then it took forever to get rid of because destiny 2 is barely held together in a lot of ways and changing underlying systems often has unforeseeable and irrational consequences (a great example is the removal of blue engrams breaking Triumphs).

thankfully the Luke Smith Era Mindset* of Maximizing Content Engagement Through Grinding has been withering and dying for the past few years and god willing will be completely dead by the Final Shape

*regardless of if these ideas were actually the brainchildren of Luke Smith, they were enforced under his leadership and are associated with the time he was in charge

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I remember a hot hot rumor that mods had elemental affinity because of UI reasons. Like they didn't have a way to show all 69 mods and so they had to divide them 3 ways or something

No idea if it was even partially true but it sure was believable

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

PERMACAV 50 posted:

https://twitter.com/paultassi/status/1626238015755669504?s=46&t=okIAaCDhbbLGMSak96-l-A

this article’s longer than I thought, I’m still getting through it… Neomuna is a big rear end empty zone with only one LZ

Getting a "but I still love the car!" vibe from that post.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The closing remarks of the ViDoc

"Destiny is far from over. This universe is about more than the conflict between the traveler and the pyramids, and we want to show you new ways to explore and new things to discover in the universe, because we think destiny has a lot to offer, and lightfall is the catalyst for that"

Bruhhhhh just say if there's gonna be new raids and campaigns and exotics and poo poo for Year 8+

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The closing remarks of the ViDoc

"Destiny is far from over. This universe is about more than the conflict between the traveler and the pyramids, and we want to show you new ways to explore and new things to discover in the universe, because we think destiny has a lot to offer, and lightfall is the catalyst for that"

Bruhhhhh just say if there's gonna be new raids and campaigns and exotics and poo poo for Year 8+

I am interested to see what they do with Destiny after final shape. They had some interesting narrative notes that were separate from the light/dark story, but have since repurposed those to be part of a grand narrative that is impossible for great writers to conclude satisfyingly, much less the hacks at Bungie.

They've put an extremely inelegant punctuation point on the Destiny story thus far, so it kind of seems like they have to start from scratch on new narratives. That's a difficult proposition.

As for lightfall, I'm weirdly unexcited for it. It's just really hard for me to get pumped about a story surrounding a mcguffin they made up two months ago and haphazardly shoved into the story. Like they wrote themselves into a corner and had to pull a deus ex machina to get out of it, and it's really obvious.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

We’re also seeing some conversations around crafting, and we wanted to confirm that for Lightfall’s release, the number of crafted weapons will be similar to what was released in The Witch Queen.

What you can craft in Season 20:

Seasonal weapons.
Neomuna weapons.
Base raid weapons
Plus, a handful of other weapons that don't have direct comparisons to TWQ sources.
In Season 21 going forward, the following will be craftable:

Seasonal weapons.
Raid reprise weapons.

I have no idea what the "less total weapons will be crafted" thing was about then.

But now I've already gone and consider "does raid reprise weapons" mean will the next new raid not have craftable weapons? (but I assume they just mean for season 21 to 23)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Tormentors look cool but I really hope the new Shadow Legion Cabal come with more enemy types. I always feel like D2's enemy variety is really underwhelming compared to what it could be. I hope this expansion gives us more weird Vex subtypes, or something other than "it's a Legionary but with a hosed up helmet"

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
destiny has been fireworks factorying for so long it's impossible for me to believe that lightfall will be anything other than a huge cliffhanger

they've basically said that it is when they describe it as the start to the Final Shape

my guess is it ends with the witness reaching the traveller and then tune in next year for whatever that does

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GAME OF THE loving YEAR

https://twitter.com/destinytrack/status/1626298610215264259?s=61&t=Ulspnuge37VgNfDb22RvwA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My assumption is that the traveler does not survive this year. Jury's still out on whether the witness will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I have no idea what the "less total weapons will be crafted" thing was about then.

But now I've already gone and consider "does raid reprise weapons" mean will the next new raid not have craftable weapons? (but I assume they just mean for season 21 to 23)

Yeah that makes me think they really botched their phrasing for Less Total Weapons Will Be Crafted. They're just saying not to expect Ammit, Taipan, Fixed Odds & Epicurean next year?

I think Raid Reprisal Weapons means that in Season 22 when we get Crota/Leviathan or whatever, those guns will be craftable.

I can't remember if it's Season 20 or Season 21 that we get Vault of Glass(?) weapons as Craftables, but Season 21 will also be a New Dungeon