Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've done a 2011 iMac27 before. I know these are harder with the adhesive. In for a penny in for a pound. I may as well do the 2013 as well while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iMac 2011s still used the magnets to hold the display glass

The transition to glue strips (Apple prefers to call them VHB strips) to seal the LCD in place began with the late 2012s

Get a nice Mac compatible NVMe SSD like the Hynix Gold P31 or the Inland Premium

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Gasp you're right its 24G in system profiler under NVME. WTH.

Yeah well it was starting with the Late 2015 that Apple decided to start cheaping out with the SSD portion of the Fusion Drive.

At that time, they basically told the few geeks that gave a poo poo that they did some tests and a 24 GB SSD gave the same speedups as the 128 GB and sold the iMac 1 TB Fusion like this.

It probably helped them claw back profits on the 1 TB model which was their top seller anyways.

It should also be noted that they dropped the Fusion Drive scam in the last Intel iMac (the 2020) and only offered SSD only. You could get 256, 512 GB or 1,2,4, or 8 TB of SSD.

Apple also still sells the Intel 2020 only to the educational channel even though it was killed in the retail channel back in March 2022.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why does EDU need/want Intel macs? Bespoke software they can’t afford to port to AS?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

iMac 2011s still used the magnets to hold the display glass

The transition to glue strips (Apple prefers to call them VHB strips) to seal the LCD in place began with the late 2012s

Get a nice Mac compatible NVMe SSD like the Hynix Gold P31 or the Inland Premium

I can’t just throw any NVME SSD in there? I’ve got a few Samsungs already in hand with the latest firmware.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

Why does EDU need/want Intel macs? Bespoke software they can’t afford to port to AS?

Boot camp with a valid windows license(windows for arm is still not sold as a open value SKU).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
EDU is buying Intel macs to run windows? Colleges? I know my kids elementary school has windows AIOs and they’re all proper PCs.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

EDU is buying Intel macs to run windows? Colleges? I know my kids elementary school has windows AIOs and they’re all proper PCs.

A lot of EDU entities here have purchased intel macs on the basis that they can run macos or if they have a particularly fastidious teach, they can be converted into windows. Windows on M-ARM is not technically legal (licensing requires either a qualcomm chip for bare metal or an x86 machine emulating arm with a valid windows host license) so classrooms are a legal liability on AS macs if you need dual-use.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So if the Mac Studio shipped originally with Monterey, will the newest one ship with Ventura? And if it did ship with Ventura, can you roll it back to Monterey?I can’t find an answer to this.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

No surprise but my ipad that fell off the truck had its order canceled. Does this thread post ipad deals or is there a better place to look in SA mart? Specifically I'd like to find a device (10" +) that can be a second screen for a new M2 mini

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best idea is to follow the iPad thread instead of the Mac thread.

The base iPad 9th gen is still on sale for $250 at various retailers (Target, Best Buy, Costco) until tomorrow, that’s the best you’re going to do.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Not sure if I should consider this a hardware or software problem, but has anyone had issues with their monitors and a MacStudio? I have been getting temporary vertical lines, burn in and just general oddness every few days. While it is an easy fix, changing the RGB color profile for some reason, it is really getting old.

Should I consider getting new cables? A new monitor (this one is over 6 years old)? Or should I take back the studio?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any reason not to use a Samsung 970 evo plus to upgrade a late 2015 imac 27?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm still rocking a 2015 iMac 5K I bought in 2016. The Fusion drive is 2TB, and knocks on wood is still good. So I've gotten a Samsung 2TB external SSD and weekly clone it, so that if the drive does die, I can just boot from that. At some point I'll upgrade to a Mini with an m2 Pro and an external 4K 32 inch display, but to do it right is an extra 2Kish, so I'll wait.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've been watching all these videos on popping the slim iMac display and basically gutting the whole thing and to be honest it doesn't look that bad as long as you don't gently caress up.

While I'm in there I may as well deep clean the dust out. Repaste the CPU and GPU. And for the 2015 I've already got a 6700K ordered.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Does it make sense to have both macbook pro and mac mini?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably not, no.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

teraflame posted:

Do you need two separate mac computers, one portable and one not portable, and also a monitor?

If not, then just one or the other probably makes more sense

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

teraflame posted:

Do you self host any services that need to stay running 24/7 that consume too much power to run on something cheap and tiny like a raspberry pi, and you also want something nicer and more expensive than a recycled Optiplex?

That is the only reason I'd ever recommend a mac mini to anyone at this point.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

teraflame posted:

What’s your use case? I keep permanent macs at work, home and workshop. I save any serious work to google drive (desktop version with a local directory) so it’s always available where ever I’m at. But I know that’s a very niche use case.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Brain Issues posted:

Do you self host any services that need to stay running 24/7 that consume too much power to run on something cheap and tiny like a raspberry pi, and you also want something nicer and more expensive than a recycled Optiplex?

That is the only reason I'd ever recommend a mac mini to anyone at this point.
if you want the fastest / quietest / most efficient computer you can buy for under 500 bucks it's unparalleled yeah

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TwoDice posted:

if you want the fastest / quietest / most efficient computer you can buy for under 500 bucks it's unparalleled yeah

now add a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and consider that your only actual computer is tethered to a desk.

i find it hard to recommend a desktop to almost anyone except gamers or if you have a need that the computer stay running 24/7.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

teraflame posted:

depends on your needs and purposes

if you need more grunt, it might be worth investing in a more capable MBP rather than a second computer (unless you need like M1U for some reason, in which case you know who you are and you get a Mac Studio)

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Brain Issues posted:

now add a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and consider that your only actual computer is tethered to a desk.

i find it hard to recommend a desktop to almost anyone except gamers or if you have a need that the computer stay running 24/7.

fair, but if you want to use your laptop at a desk for a significant amount of time you should get a monitor, keyboard and mouse too, RSI isn't a good time

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

What’s your use case? I keep permanent macs at work, home and workshop. I save any serious work to google drive (desktop version with a local directory) so it’s always available where ever I’m at. But I know that’s a very niche use case.

I was thinking of having a Mac mini replace my gaming desktop for when I'm just doing normal browsing stuff. Less power usage, noise, etc.

I already have a MacBook Pro that I use with a WFH setup in another room. Another thing I was concerned about was if I just had the MBP, would leaving it plugged most of the time damage battery faster?

teraflame fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 15, 2023

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I use a Mac Studio at my home/work desk (one and the same these days, thanks COVID!) and have an M2 Air for when I’m on the road or whatever. Don’t like docking/dongling at my desk with an MBP or whatever to cover both scenarios and do have some server things I like to leave running 24/7. The Air is fine for the road, small, light, can cloud me into whatever I need for work or to the home Studio if needed.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I have an iMac 5K and an old 2015 MBP (the last year with the good keyboard till they returned to this style in 2019, and all the apple silicon laptops have good keyboards again). This year at some point I'll be upgrading the laptop to probably the rumored 15 inch air or a 14 inch Pro. Down the line I'll upgrade the 5K to a mini with a 4K display. On the weekends I stay at my girlfriends, so having a solid laptop is a good idea, but I'm an author who runs a publishing business, if I'm at my home office there's no need to be looking at a small screen when I should be at a proper desktop with my mechanical keyboard, trackball to the right of the keyboard, and trackpad to the left.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

teraflame posted:

I already have a MacBook Pro that I use with a WFH setup in another room. Another thing I was concerned about was if I just had the MBP, would leaving it plugged most of the time damage battery faster?

Apple has a feature in the OS now called Optimized Battery Charging. It tries to learn from your habits. If you leave the computer plugged in all the time, it will start letting the battery stay at 80% instead of charging to full, which is a good resting state for preserving battery health. (both deeply discharged and fully charged are worse)

(If you have a daily routine such that you regularly take it off the charger at a given time of day, it should in theory learn that and only complete the charge to 100% shortly before it thinks you're going to start using it on battery power. I have never seen it do that but I'm not that demographic either)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I was getting my phone fixed yesterday and took the opportunity to play with the various MacBooks at an actual Apple Store where they aren’t literally shackled/adhered to the table—legit surprised by how much porkier the 14” Pro feels vs the Air in person, even if on paper they’re both “very light” by laptop standards over the past 20 years

Maybe I’ve been fully spoiled by time and I should go bicep curl my 2007 Polycarb MacBook a few times to remember, but I could definitely see an argument for somebody spending a roughly equivalent cost for an Air + Pro Mini setup vs a 14” MBP

Also I stand by my belief that the current space gray looks like superfluous crap compared to Midnight.

Like I figured I’d eventually get a space gray MPB within the next year or so, but after seeing the conspicuously shiny silver ring of worn anodization on the ports of the Genius Bar tech’s space gray service computer, and the finish’s otherwise minimal overall tonal shift vs the silver, I think I might just stick to silver.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 16, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m a firm believer of keeping data in the cloud/network (within reason) and just having as my end points as convenient and affordable.

That’s how my work is setup. I can log into any machine including other peoples dedicated machines and my remote profile is loaded and it just feels exactly the same except for the local hardware. This even worked when we had 2 sites 400mi apart. I would have to really go out of my way to store files locally. Everything is setup to save to network. OS is still local and local storage is mostly used as throw away cache.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any suggestions of what to do with this now defunct 2013 MBP? I could toss linux on it, but that would be a novelty at best. It doesn’t have enough memory onboard to warrant converting to a server so I’m not sure what to do with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Any suggestions of what to do with this now defunct 2013 MBP? I could toss linux on it, but that would be a novelty at best. It doesn’t have enough memory onboard to warrant converting to a server so I’m not sure what to do with it.

My wife still uses my old 2013 MBP but it had 8 gigs of ram and it’s actually decently snappy for bullshit web browsing. I’m not sure how one with 4gigs would be at this point though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I mean I could still daily it if I really wanted to but I most certainly do not. For basic browsing it isn’t that bad, but if you start getting froggy it will start complaining.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Brain Issues posted:

If you don’t actually need to carry your computer around with you then you’re better off with a desktop, especially something as neat and tidy and compact as a mini. No point paying for/having to worry about a battery and a second screen that you don’t need.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Warbird posted:

ChromeOS Flex?

If your MBP is a 11,2 model it's "Certified" list, even if it's one of the others maybe worth a shot if you're just going to dump it otherwise.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Warbird posted:

Lol I still have a 2009 17” I use with patched Catalina. If you like to tinker you can upgrade the memory and hdd. Or just sell it. There are people who still want those.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh no kidding? What are we talking here, a hundred bucks or so? Like I hate to get rid of it as I have historically parted out and converted old computer hardware for server operations, but I've gotten to a point now where I'd need more purpose built stuff rather than a laptop with the screen off and a power source zip tied into place.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
For me the 2009 MBP17 had the perfect form factor. It could browse modern web. Play YouTube/streaming. Run photoshop and Lightroom. iMessage…I did miss airdrop and Apple Pay tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

For me the 2009 MBP17 had the perfect form factor. It could browse modern web. Play YouTube/streaming. Run photoshop and Lightroom. iMessage…I did miss airdrop and Apple Pay tho.

I think you're gonna like the 16" MBP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

japtor posted:

ChromeOS Flex?

If your MBP is a 11,2 model it's "Certified" list, even if it's one of the others maybe worth a shot if you're just going to dump it otherwise.

This or Ubuntu. That will get you a modern browser and a modern OS thats getting updates at least