Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This whole scene feels like they are comforting her with reassurances about the great farm she will live on once the operation is over, even though they are fully convinced that they'll have to euthanize her.
Try to replace her with a cancerous dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Why are they saying nothing while fully knowing that Kat and/or Zimmy are likely to be affected terribly

Even if it doesn't end up that way, at the moment all signs point to "ah poo poo ah gently caress" but it's like they don't care enough to speak up

or even say anything, anything at all

what reality is this, what kind of alien people is this scene based on

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There's unfortunately a decent chance that this operation will go exactly as planned with no complications, despite all the ominous buildup.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
The most charitable reading I can give this is that Paz is doing this because she loves Kat, but she's tired of Kat going too far. She may be here to make sure Kat is safe, then she's breaking up (or taking a break). Kat clearly didn't talk to Paz about this (lol).

But that's barely charitable, because it ignores this:

Cavatica posted:

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2237

That Paz clearly spoke up to Kat and her obsessions. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to believe that the Paz today is so conflict adverse that she won't speak up on something that's clearly upsetting her, but is going to press on anyway.

Especially when Kat ultimately said her confrontations helped in the end. Like, I would buy it if there was the kind of resolution to that arc where no one appreciated her saying something, and that made her want to avoid it in the future. But we didn't get that, nor do we have any reason to believe that Kat would suddenly abandon either of them for raising concerns about this.

I know this situation was suddenly thrust upon Annie and Paz, but come on lol.

Edit: like they both are clearly unhappy here. Maybe they're gonna stop next page, but man, I've doubts lol.

catapede fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 15, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cavatica posted:

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2237

That Paz clearly spoke up to Kat and her obsessions. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to believe that the Paz today is so conflict adverse that she won't speak up on something that's clearly upsetting her, but is going to press on anyway.

Especially when Kat ultimately said her confrontations helped in the end. Like, I would buy it if there was the kind of resolution to that arc where no one appreciated her saying something, and that made her want to avoid it in the future. But we didn't get that, nor do we have any reason to believe that Kat would suddenly abandon either of them for raising concerns about this.

I forgot about that. I wonder if Paz's reaction is more that she's reached the breaking point with Kat and has decided to end their relationship over this. I don't think we've really seen much of their actual relationship, just that they've been in pretty bad rough patches in the past, but basically from the point when Kat said she wanted the chip implanted, Paz has seemed coldly clinical with the only real sign of emotion being the tear.

Edit: Never mind, Paz was smiling right after saying that they needed a few extra things. So I have no idea what's going on or why Paz is suddenly crying.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 15, 2023

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Some spine dust got in her eye.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

Wild guess: Paz knows that this going to hurt Kat in some way - the Court has planned this or tampered with the chip somehow - but the Court is holding her family hostage.

Weird guess: Paz has been told about the fact that Kat wants to go to the Court's new reality+planet and this chip is part of achieving that end. Paz won't stop her because she wants Kat to be happy, but is crying about it, and she can't tell Annie because Kat swore her to secrecy.

These sort of things are the only way this'll make sense imo, some reason why she "can't" speak up about this. If Paz was ready to end her relationship with Kat, I fully believe she'd just do it, not dwell on it like this - she's been shown multiple times in the past that she's fully willing to voice concerns.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the extremely broad outline of this is clear enough - Kat pooh-poohs Zimmy’s anxieties and then immediately validates them with her latest experiment - but the truncated pacing we’ve all come to expect is making a mess of it

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

There's unfortunately a decent chance that this operation will go exactly as planned with no complications, despite all the ominous buildup.

I expect the jarring Chekhov's Gun "yeah that magnetic activator thingy on the table way over there - I'll need that after this gets implanted" will pay off with Paz stealing it and running out.

...and then handing it over in two pages, after some Annie voiceover frames telling us how hard it was to convince her.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bartolimu posted:

I expect the jarring Chekhov's Gun "yeah that magnetic activator thingy on the table way over there - I'll need that after this gets implanted" will pay off with Paz stealing it and running out.

...and then handing it over in two pages, after some Annie voiceover frames telling us how hard it was to convince her.

Nah, Annie will see it as her one chance to stop Kat from loving with Omega and steal it, shattering Kats trust in her and causing Kat to throw herself fully into activating Omega and killing Zimmy, which will be blamed on Annie because she stole the device that would let Kat research Omega safely.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If we are making predictions, I'm gonna guess that Omega has always been Kat. And all of this is just some kind of "completing the loop" sort of thing like the creation of the TikToks.

If the comic wants to go off the rails, then might as well go all the way.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Randalor posted:

Edit: Never mind, Paz was smiling right after saying that they needed a few extra things. So I have no idea what's going on or why Paz is suddenly crying.

Eh, that's her reacting to Kat trying to calm/console her and is super cold and distant in all panels before and after that tiny smile. I feel reading it as "Paz is supposed to be perfectly fine and happy with this situation, see? She smiled!" is going a bit too far.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Kat will ask Annie to use the remote to start it up since she is her bff (Paz is smiling in the background). Beep boop, oh no the activation caused something bad to happen! Annie, how could you recklessly activate the remote like that (Paz is frowning in the background).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kat connects to Omega and learns that the entire world the Court and Forest are in are Omega, and the entire thing is a giant simulation to learn what would happen if the Bismuth Seed was used by the agents to make a Court. Every "normal" person leaving the simulation are the original agents that started the program, and it will terminate when they leave. The last page of the issue is the ship crossing the ocean. End of comic.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Plot twist Kat becomes a paraplegic. They mess up the surgery. She is now forever chairbound.

Would be as contrived as everything else.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

whatever happens we know that it will lead to the robots emerging like zombies . im pretty sure they're gonna be the same robots who had their real AIs replaced with that rudimentary one since kat described them as like zombies before

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
from now on every page with a stupidly arbitrary plot beat should have a crying Paz in the corner

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sad Pat Hours

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
You know what, yeah, I can buy Paz's attitude here as her reaching her limit and doing one last favor for her girlfriend before calling it quits.

CodfishCartographer posted:

These sort of things are the only way this'll make sense imo, some reason why she "can't" speak up about this. If Paz was ready to end her relationship with Kat, I fully believe she'd just do it, not dwell on it like this - she's been shown multiple times in the past that she's fully willing to voice concerns.

Might be a continuation of Paz's sentiment/decision that if she takes care of the Court's experiment animals, at least she knows they're being treated well while they are under her care, even if she disagrees with their ultimate purpose?

"At least if I do this surgery I disapprove of, I know it's being done well -- better me than a stranger?"

It all still reads as very contrived, though.

JuniperCake posted:

If we are making predictions, I'm gonna guess that Omega has always been Kat. And all of this is just some kind of "completing the loop" sort of thing like the creation of the TikToks.

If the comic wants to go off the rails, then might as well go all the way.

Kat goes mad from the revelation she is Omega, the energy waves she emits in her despair overload Zimmy, killing her.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 15, 2023

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Double posted, sorry.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010

isasphere posted:

Kat goes mad from the revelation she is Omega, the energy waves she emits in her despair overload Zimmy, killing her.

Kat goes mad from the revelation she is Omega, the energy waves she emits in her despair cause everyone to fuse and turn into less interesting versions of themselves, chapter ends with Zimmy/Annie (Zanny) looking directly at the camera and saying "My dad's alright, actually."

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

rotoscoped posted:

Kat goes mad from the revelation she is Omega, the energy waves she emits in her despair cause everyone to fuse and turn into less interesting versions of themselves, chapter ends with Zimmy/Annie (Zanny) looking directly at the camera and saying "My dad's alright, actually."

Tony: "Finally, a daughter I can talk to!"

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

isasphere posted:

"At least if I do this surgery I disapprove of, I know it's being done well -- better me than a stranger?"

"Had to be me. Someone else would have gotten it wrong."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

rotoscoped posted:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You really think "kat killing zimmy" is going to be followed up in this chapter? We rushed through introducing that plot point so we can rush through resolving it several chapters later.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
So, which robot has gone crazy and believes it's Kat, and they have to go through this charade to safely shut it down or transfer it into another body?

I hope it's not Robox!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We haven’t had Loup in the comic since November.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The twist is that nothing technically goes wrong but it makes Paz break up with her so it wasn't worth it.

Or that nothing in this chapter ends up being relevant to anything at all, of course.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

YaketySass posted:

from now on every page with a stupidly arbitrary plot beat should have a crying Paz in the corner

Sad Paz in one corner, dismissive Aata in another. We're going to run out of corners at this rate.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Annie talking to audience in another

Boxbot for everywhere else

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Annointed posted:

Sad Pat Hours
I wasn't expecting that crossover. No vegan options in the Court cafeteria. Make of that what you will.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Annointed posted:

Plot twist Kat becomes a paraplegic. They mess up the surgery. She is now forever chairbound.

Would be as contrived as everything else.

but also

dyzzy posted:

Kat will ask Annie to use the remote to start it up since she is her bff (Paz is smiling in the background). Beep boop, oh no the activation caused something bad to happen! Annie, how could you recklessly activate the remote like that (Paz is frowning in the background).

So, Paz blames Annie for making Kat a paraplegic even though neither of them spoke up during the surgery and both had a hand in it. However, Kat is totally okay with it and seems entirely unphased because she has cool new computer abilities which are way cooler than boring things like walking and picking up stuff to her, but Paz remains resentful of Annie placing a good chunk (maybe all) of the blame on her. I can see it.

Possible stupid follow up some time down the road if that happens: Kat spends all her time doing science stuff while doing nothing to fix her body despite having the ability to do so, because of her mad scientist priorities, which frustrates Paz. Annie may have some minor sheepish "you really should take better care of yourself" opinion. Eventually Kat decides to transfer to a robot body, or so many robot prosthetics that she is more machine than human to "fix" her body making it better than meat stuff. She expects favorable reactions from her friends, but animal loving Paz leaves her over what she has become, both physically and mentally losing perspective. Annie may get blamed for this as well, due to her mild concern for her friend's wellbeing. Annie has a dead faced stare and says "..."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Loup comes into save the day.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I would love to see a Loup vs Kat the Machine Goddess deathmatch, all quality issues aside.

edit: I hadn't read the website comments in a while, even people there are baffled.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 17, 2023

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Ok wtf is going on in this scene emotionally. Unless Paz activates a trap card I have no idea what her angle on this is.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
What? She was just solemnly shedding a single tear and now it’s all smiles and

I feel as though there were seven contextual pages we just missed

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nothing happened. Normally I'd be patient to see the twist but we just had a year plus of abject writing and art failures to have faith this develops into anything.

Like seriously what the gently caress crying to smiling in two pages

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
These were obviously solemn tears of happiness.

Now, let’s skip forward to the aftermath or give Kat some dr octopus arms next.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I think SA probably still has a rule against posts that are nothing but a reaction image or I'd be reaching for my best "blank stare of abject confusion" right now

The problem, as with every time I think "maybe there's some reason that retroactively justifies all of this", is that it's still just been a bunch of very baffling pages to read that could've handled things better than they did. Conflicts did not used to be portrayed and solved in this way in the comic. As a creator, I'm all for evolution of an author's storytelling choices and methods! I don't want a comic to stay stagnant forever especially if you're working on it for decades.

But in the past, when there was the occasional moment of confusion, it was usually shared by the protagonist - you knew whether or not you were supposed to be confused and not knowing what was going on in a given moment, or at the very least had faith things would work themselves out.

Now, things are confusing all the time. And not for positive reasons that make the comic better! Only worse reasons, like "why is this character acting completely out of character and not at all in line with their previous behaviors?". And an increasingly large portion of the audience doesn't feel they can trust things to be resolved in any way.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I mean, she didn't put the chip in and Paz saw, it's as simple as that right?

No idea how tf they resolve that breach of trust though.