Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tsob posted:

There are several hundred species of dinosaurs, and most people just know the most famous dozen or so really, so Sam could do the same trick with really obscure ones. Not to mention the ancient/extinct species from the period that most people think of as dinosaurs to throw in as an occasional trick question. You definitely wouldn't want to do that more than once or twice, but then you could also do a "is it a dinosaur or not" bonus round to knock 'em out at once.

Not to mention that most of what we all learnt about dinosaurs during our dinosaur phase as a kid is no longer valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
If anything I'm just surprised Brennan didn't already own Wingspan.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Dunno if there's gonna be a separate thread or if it's okay to post here but the third preview (Lou's) just dropped on Worlds Beyond Number. He's playing a fey bear thing and it's so good so far.

Really getting Ghibli vibes from the children's adventure.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

loving hell Lou is just a masterclass in role-playing. That whole scene with the hotdog trap was just amazing.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
wow lous character concept rules

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

lemonadesweetheart posted:

loving hell Lou is just a masterclass in role-playing. That whole scene with the hotdog trap was just amazing.

Looking forward to the Adventuring party today. Did Lou suspect it was Candlewick or did he just (correctly) decide that walking into a Looney Tunes trap on a Nat. 20 was the funniest option?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Xand_Man posted:

Looking forward to the Adventuring party today. Did Lou suspect it was Candlewick or did he just (correctly) decide that walking into a Looney Tunes trap on a Nat. 20 was the funniest option?

Pretty sure he just thought it would be funny. It's a Looney Tunes trap, of course it'll be funny. Brennan making Candlwick hosed up and crazy was just icing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
CONFIRMED: It's because Lou thought it would be funny and because Pinocchio as a negative intelligence modifier.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
The best "Yes, and..." of this season so far. Lou is an absolute treasure.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"you don't want to use that ability?"
ice cold

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
That dogfish mini/maxi was I think my favorite mini/model that's been on the show since the lava mog way back in Escape from the Bloodkeep.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Rick Perry (And team I assume?) is absolutely incredible. This season's layouts, minis/maxis, and design have all been unbelievably great.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

do they design those themselves or do they source them from a company somewhere?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My understanding is they use a combo of pre-made/3d printed models they buy online where they can, but augment the crap out of them. Imagine it comes down to cost and time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They used to use a ton of Heroforge stuff, I don't know if they still do.

https://www.heroforge.com/

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
We are never gonna find out what the deal is with the donkey bones...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This second ep of Game Changer is phenomenal. Absolutely top tier.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pleads posted:

This second ep of Game Changer is phenomenal. Absolutely top tier.

With perhaps the biggest bummer ever.

Spoilers for both the second episode of the bachelor Game Changer episodes, and spoiler for just terrible news that you may not want to know.
Abel passed away before the Cabo trip happened.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

With perhaps the biggest bummer ever.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That is indeed a bummer :smith:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What the gently caress? Can you post more info about the spoiler?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

lemonadesweetheart posted:

What the gently caress? Can you post more info about the spoiler?

It looks like he was in a car accident in September last year. That's just awful.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oh dear god that's sad

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

double nine posted:

"you don't want to use that ability?"
ice cold

Haha yes, Brennan's prompt and his facial expression stood out and it's clear that Zac picked up on it. "Oh, so you DON'T want to use that ability? Are you absolutely sure, motherfucker?"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1630274064924155910

On the one hand, neat! On the other, doesn't he have enough shows already lol.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Escape from Bloodkeep was so good; it will great to see him back in the dome in any role.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The end of it still cracks me up, in that Brennan planned for the final battle to be PVP but they were such buds and had wrapped up their interpersonal drama that he had to make up a new final encounter on the spot(ish).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

It'll also just be neat to see him (presumably) DM a short and limited run that's most likely just 6 episodes with no ties to Exandria so he can just go wild and make up some completely new poo poo for the setting. I love Critical Role, but it's gotten fairly formalized as a setting and that has to be pretty restrictive, so I have to imagine it'll be nice for him to have the chance to do something completely new that only has to last a couple of episodes and so could really be anything.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Oh yeah, this is neat! I hope Brennan will be a player but I guess he's got a lot of other poo poo going on. The only time Brennan has been a player with Matt as a DM was the Elden Ring one shot, right?

Be cool to see what Matt comes up with for a "short" campaign.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

boxen posted:

The only time Brennan has been a player with Matt as a DM was the Elden Ring one shot, right?

...welp, dammit, time to go track down the 'horse stacking' clip again.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That's not Murph. (I have to assume at this point that the fact that Murph hasn't DM'ed a D20 show is a choice on his part.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I assume he's (un)happy enough with the workload running NaDDPod's main campaign, as well as editing it and doing other comedy work like Hot Date on occasion gives him that he'd prefer to play in secondary campaigns rather than DM more.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

tsob posted:

doing other comedy work like Hot Date on occasion

Is hot date still a thing somewhere? I thought it was done years ago (and was a bit one and done even then).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

boxen posted:

Be cool to see what Matt comes up with for a "short" campaign.

I see goblets, pillars and domes, cathedral spires. Is that a thurible/censer on the left? Are we going religious here?

On the other hand, there's an electric powering up sound and mechanical noises in the background.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 28, 2023

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Well, bless my cotton socks! I literally gasped out loud, so I guess I'm a member of the intended audience. Looking forward to seeing who the players will be

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't care if it's necessarily for this campaign, but I do hope they get Rekha, Grant, Raph, Katie or Sam back for at least one more; they're great players for the few short runs they've been in, and I'd love to see more any/all of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As well as looking forward to this, this is probably also going to be a decent commercial boost to D20: get some of the vast Critical Role audience to sub to watch this in the hopes they'll try some of Brennan's seasons and stay.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I assume Matt took a bunch of notes from Brennan running Calamity on CR and is just going to run a scenery-chewing Fantasy High prequel where everyone dies horribly as retaliation.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

MikeJF posted:

As well as looking forward to this, this is probably also going to be a decent commercial boost to D20: get some of the vast Critical Role audience to sub to watch this in the hopes they'll try some of Brennan's seasons and stay.

Hopefully. Aabria and Brennan are already "your favourite DM's favourite DMs" for crit role fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

enki42 posted:

Is hot date still a thing somewhere? I thought it was done years ago (and was a bit one and done even then).

I don't see it on Netflix now that you mention it, but it did get a second season. I had to double check it on Wikipedia to make sure of that, since I dipped after about half of season one honestly, but I do remember them mentioning more of it during Short Rests and such years ago. I've no idea where you'd find it now if it's no longer on Netflix however. I know they used to do some spots on Adam Ruins Everything too, but I don't know if they're doing anything beyond NaDDPod and Dimension 20 these days.

Not Operator posted:

Hopefully. Aabria and Brennan are already "your favourite DM's favourite DMs" for crit role fans.

I've nothing against either of those two, and don't even know that I'd rank Murph above either of them, but I do think of him in those same terms personally. I recognize why someone wouldn't, since at the very least he's not nearly as prolific a DM as them, but I also think that while he's not as instantly charismatic a performer as them that he tends to have more creative scenarios that aren't always just straight up fights (I love things like the Band of Boobs trying to get the Queen's Hammer as they're falling down a mountain or fly a plane using rolls to disguise a combat encounter as something else for instance) and that he tends to have more emotive stories than them. Brennan's campaigns aren't generally nearly as long , even for the longer D20 seasons; so that length (which Critical Role shares) probably helps just by giving you more time with the cast. The fact he always DM's for the same small group probably helps too, since it means he can tailor the story and drama a lot more.

I've only heard Jasper William Cartright do one mini campaign in NaDDPod too, but the setting and tone was really fun and he was just really nice to listen to, so I really need to find time to listen to more 3 Black Halflings at some point.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 28, 2023