Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

What's this guy? What's his deal? I've seen avatars with him but I don't know anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

What's this guy? What's his deal? I've seen avatars with him but I don't know anything about it.

https://www.whompcomic.com/

Webcomic about a very gooney dude.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Pretty good too, although he stopped updating

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I always wondered how much of Whomp was autobiographical. Funny stuff but also kind of sad, the guy is basically the ur-goon.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

credburn posted:

How's your hand?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

My question is, does this line mean that Monkey's essential essence could not be repressed, OR THAT the essence of Monkey could be defined as a certain state or quality of irrepressibility? Is this ambiguity present in the original Japanese monologue too?

As far as the second question, the English monologue is (very) loosely based on the Japanese one, or possibly not at all and they just looked at the pictures. The Japanese one just closes with 'And then, one stormy night...' before the lightning strikes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

El Jeffe posted:

How's your hand?

It's still hosed up. Still swollen, I can't feel my thumb at all, and can't move my pinky, which juts out and gets caught on everything.

After posting here, I went to Urgent Care. They moved my fingers around, determined there was no fracture, and sent me on my way. A few days later, nothing had gotten better, and in fact the swelling had even gone up, so I went to the ER, where they were really baffled as to why Urgent Care didn't immediately send me to the ER. I got some xrays, blood drawn, other stuff.

They've ruled out concussion, heart attack and cancer as a cause of my blacking out, and they say it was either a "small stroke" or a "small seizure," though there are reasons why they find these unlikely, too. They won't do any imaging unless there's a pattern or it's life-threatening and they don't think it's either. No fractures on my hand. They put me on antibiotics.

Oh but here's some really good news: my left foot was numb for a week but feeling has finally come back. Also, the left half of my tongue was numb for a long time and it still kind of is but feeling is definitely coming back. Which makes me very hopeful I'll be able to use my thumb and pinky again!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

McCracAttack posted:

It's been posted in the PYF Comics thread, and there are a bunch of panels that elicit a "that'd be a good avatar" or similar sentiment. Someone in that thread bought those panels as avatars for anyone who made those comments, and that's how I and a few other people ended up sporting Ronnie avs.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ultrafilter posted:

It's been posted in the PYF Comics thread, and there are a bunch of panels that elicit a "that'd be a good avatar" or similar sentiment. Someone in that thread bought those panels as avatars for anyone who made those comments, and that's how I and a few other people ended up sporting Ronnie avs.

Yes be very careful using the words "That would be a good av" in PYF.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, sometimes it works out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

credburn posted:

It's still hosed up. Still swollen, I can't feel my thumb at all, and can't move my pinky, which juts out and gets caught on everything.

After posting here, I went to Urgent Care. They moved my fingers around, determined there was no fracture, and sent me on my way. A few days later, nothing had gotten better, and in fact the swelling had even gone up, so I went to the ER, where they were really baffled as to why Urgent Care didn't immediately send me to the ER. I got some xrays, blood drawn, other stuff.

They've ruled out concussion, heart attack and cancer as a cause of my blacking out, and they say it was either a "small stroke" or a "small seizure," though there are reasons why they find these unlikely, too. They won't do any imaging unless there's a pattern or it's life-threatening and they don't think it's either. No fractures on my hand. They put me on antibiotics.

Oh but here's some really good news: my left foot was numb for a week but feeling has finally come back. Also, the left half of my tongue was numb for a long time and it still kind of is but feeling is definitely coming back. Which makes me very hopeful I'll be able to use my thumb and pinky again!

As someone who went through a medical bankruptcy for similar circumstances, do not loving hesitate to keep going until they figure some poo poo out. They will absolutely have no problem ignoring stuff until it kills you.

Just remember - the ER is only there to keep you from immediately death. You need to schedule a proper doctor's appointment, but get it ASAP.

(My experience - those gallstones are fine - those gallstones can't be causing so much discomfort - oops, one of them lodged and we have to get it out but it's four on a Friday, you'll have to sit in the hospital until Monday - oops, you turned septic on Sunday night and the surgery went so sideways it required multiple surgeons and a laparotomy - oops, you're in the ICU for three plus weeks and almost die a bunch - Thank you for seeing out AMERICAN healthcare system, here's a "discounted" bill for $150k+)

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

(My experience - those gallstones are fine - those gallstones can't be causing so much discomfort - oops, one of them lodged and we have to get it out but it's four on a Friday, you'll have to sit in the hospital until Monday - oops, you turned septic on Sunday night and the surgery went so sideways it required multiple surgeons and a laparotomy - oops, you're in the ICU for three plus weeks and almost die a bunch - Thank you for seeing out AMERICAN healthcare system, here's a "discounted" bill for $150k+)

Holy poo poo what? Gallstones did this to you?
As a teenager, I had nights where I woke up with immense stomach pains that would then die off again, this went on for about a year or 2 (because I was a dumb kid and didn't think it could be anything that bad). Until one night where it didn't stop. One trip to the ER and ultrasound later they gave me the diagnose of gallstones and soon afterI had the appointment to get em out asap. They did it through latroscopy, which was kinda cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Helios Grime posted:

Holy poo poo what? Gallstones did this to you?
As a teenager, I had nights where I woke up with immense stomach pains that would then die off again, this went on for about a year or 2 (because I was a dumb kid and didn't think it could be anything that bad). Until one night where it didn't stop. One trip to the ER and ultrasound later they gave me the diagnose of gallstones and soon afterI had the appointment to get em out asap. They did it through latroscopy, which was kinda cool.

Yep, and it left me with acute chronic pancreatitis that I have to deal with daily. I shout about it from the rooftops, because the American healthcare system is more than happy to let this poo poo happen to you. I got diagnosed with the stones when I was nineteen, and this happened when I was thirty-two. I always had my discomfort hand waved away, and it nearly cost me my life. For loving gallstones.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BonHair posted:

Pretty good too, although he stopped updating

Seems he moved on to From Earth in Peace, although coincidentally announced last month he was going on hiatus for a bit https://tapas.io/series/From-Earth-in-Peace/

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a third party website to buy graduation gowns where I can select a school beforehand to make sure the gown will match?

Most of the stores I've found will make you select an arbitrary color and I'm having a hell of a time finding the right colored gown.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a third party website to buy graduation gowns where I can select a school beforehand to make sure the gown will match?

Most of the stores I've found will make you select an arbitrary color and I'm having a hell of a time finding the right colored gown.

Jostens

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What kind of information about the trip does an Uber driver get before accepting? I've been curious about that a while.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Is there a place on SA to ask about international shipping freight?

If not, somebody got a reputable shipping company that handles everything online and could ship from the US to Switzerland, that is better than the big ones (UPS, DHL,Fedex)?
I want to buy something in the US and the seller only has express airparcel as an option at the moment (sent them a mail to ask if he's willing to organize freight) which costs 2.5x as much as the item itself.
But if he doesn't want to deal with it, I wanna see what my options are, I found some stuff but have no idea how reputable those services are.

The packages would be dimensioned as follows:

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
How far is the acceptable limit to joke about/discuss piracy on this site? We can apparently mention Piratebay, and link to pirate sites for manga scans, and the :filez: emoticon is clearly in reference to the topic, but where does it become unacceptable? Asking this so I avoid going too far.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 15, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Delphisage posted:

How far is the acceptable limit to joke about/discuss piracy on this site? We can apparently mention Piratebay, and link to pirate sites for manga scans, and the :filez: emoticon is clearly in reference to the topic, but where does it become unacceptable? Asking this so I avoid going too far.

The big thing is you want to avoid causing liability for the site, so basically don't directly link or share torrents or :filez:. I believe it's fine to say things like "I pirated Bee Movie illegally and I'd do it again :hehe: try and stop me dreamworks" on the forums.

I believe there used to be an actual filesharing ring within SA and when the former owner clamped down on it, he went too far the other way and said don't even talk about piracy, just avoid it as a topic so SA can avoid dumb legal troubles. That was a long time ago and things have relaxed. Someone correct me if i have the story wrong.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There were whole rear end sub forums dedicated to spreading pirating links and little circles of goon torrent sites and ftp servers that were freely talked about.

Then there was a bit of a crackdown and then even referencing :files: was bannable and now it's sort of a 'please don't make Jeffrey have to deal with lawyers' agreement.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also there's a guideline saying it's more or less okay if it's impossible to find the media in legal ways.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Piracy isn't really a risky topic anymore. Publishers/record labels/etc finally started selling their media digitally and *gasp* piracy rates went down drastically. Just don't post links or explicit instructions for stuff that's available for purchase through legal means.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there any map app that accounts for weather? google maps doesn't really do that as far as i can tell? i'm trying to figure out if i can get from tucson to henderson, nv without running into last night's ice and snow, and was hoping there'd be a one-stop site or app that would just tell me.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, sometimes it works out.

:hmmyes: good point

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What is the easiest way for me to make a shaped foam insert? This is for a delicate old piece of equipment about the size of a candy bar. I want to safely store it in a small box not much bigger than the thing, with a shaped foam insert taking up the rest of the volume of the container.

I assumed there was such a thing as micro pick and pluck foam but that particular item does not exist apparently

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

What is the easiest way for me to make a shaped foam insert? This is for a delicate old piece of equipment about the size of a candy bar. I want to safely store it in a small box not much bigger than the thing, with a shaped foam insert taking up the rest of the volume of the container.

I assumed there was such a thing as micro pick and pluck foam but that particular item does not exist apparently

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/index.php/how-to-make-diy-tool-inserts-from-foam-to-organize-your-collection

Something like this?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If someone has to go to a US Embassy in a foreign country to go to a notary appointment where they must bring two witnesses as part of the signing - do those two witnesses have to be eligible to travel to the US? For example, can the witness be a citizen of a country that is not allowed to travel to the US / requires a visa?

There's no mention of this on the US Embassy website except, "If your document requires the presence of witnesses in addition to the notarization, you must supply these witnesses. Embassy staff are unable to act as witnesses."

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
Probably just call them and ask, I've never been to an embassy but it's easy to imagine them being lovely about it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

when did everyone start using 'cop' meaning to buy/get? two months ago, had never seen it. now, it's on like every page of some threads.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

when did everyone start using 'cop' meaning to buy/get? two months ago, had never seen it. now, it's on like every page of some threads.

This song is from 2016 and includes that use of it so I'm gonna say probably a while ago

https://youtu.be/7T_KKiQiolk

(Yes this is an excuse to post this video)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

I feel like nom epique is patient zero, in the SA context.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

abelwingnut posted:

It's been in use for a long time. Older than most goons, would be my guess.

Organza Quiz posted:

This song is from 2016 and includes that use of it so I'm gonna say probably a while ago

https://youtu.be/7T_KKiQiolk

(Yes this is an excuse to post this video)

For an even older music reference. Cop a feel is the lyric, as in steal a grab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89tgpzE4qkY

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, not debating how long the word has existed. more about its usage. i mean, cop has been a word for that definition for, i imagine, decades, at least. it's just seen a massive uptick in usage as of late and i have no idea why.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

abelwingnut posted:

yea, not debating how long the word has existed. more about its usage. i mean, cop has been a word for that definition for, i imagine, decades, at least. it's just seen a massive uptick in usage as of late and i have no idea why.

I'm just meaning that the usage of "to cop" as to grab/take/steal etc. has been in use for a long time. Recent uptick in usage is just slang vernacular's repetitive cycles.

Also this means you're old.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've not noticed an uptick in its usage but it seems to have uncertain origin e.g. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cop#Etymology_1

quote:

Uncertain. Perhaps from Middle English *coppen, *copen, from Old English copian (“to plunder; pillage; steal”); or possibly from Middle French caper (“to capture”), from Latin capiō (“to seize, grasp”); or possibly from Dutch kapen (“to seize, hijack”), from Old Frisian kāpia (“to buy”), whence Saterland Frisian koopje, North Frisian koope. Compare also Middle English copen (“to buy”), from Middle Dutch copen.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I don't know if this is a small question, but what is the future of Content Delivery?

This "dozens of streaming services" thing seems stupid, for both creators and consumers. Consumers get a limited selection, and creators get a limited audience. Streaming Services pay for a bunch of content that probably hardly ever gets watched, and consumers pay for a bunch of content they're not actually interested in, and you pay the same if you watch a show 3 shows a night or one a month.

Meanwhile, we're still not getting everything we could, since the streaming services have essentially become "gatekeepers" in the publishing industry that the internet was supposed to eliminate (notwithstanding a few platforms like youtube etc). So while digital streaming delivery feels new and revolutionary, we're still kind of operating in the same old system.

It feels like the way forward is putting everything on the same service, and then paying for content directly (say a movie is $5, an episode is $2, and a season of a show is $15 or something). They can even have a tip jar, where if you think it was excellent you can pay more to support creators, in a similar spirit to Patreon.

There's obviously precedent - people used to physically go down to the video store to pay up to what, $7, for a movie we could borrow for one night. I've always balked at the idea of paying for movie online when the internet is ~free~, but it doesn't seem so unnatural anymore. If we haven't moved past it altogether already it feels like we're getting close.

Obviously there will still be production houses, who finance the production in exchange for some of the revenue, (and advertising, just like any product), but it would be easier for people all around the world to access.

So would that work, what are the barriers, and what is the likelihood of it happening?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bucky Fullminster posted:

what are the barriers, and what is the likelihood of it happening?

Zero. Every distributor wants its own channel. It’s a minor miracle that Hulu hasn’t been (completely) torn apart by it’s founding members rushing to start their own platform.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know if this is a small question, but what is the future of Content Delivery?

This "dozens of streaming services" thing seems stupid, for both creators and consumers. Consumers get a limited selection, and creators get a limited audience. Streaming Services pay for a bunch of content that probably hardly ever gets watched, and consumers pay for a bunch of content they're not actually interested in, and you pay the same if you watch a show 3 shows a night or one a month.

Meanwhile, we're still not getting everything we could, since the streaming services have essentially become "gatekeepers" in the publishing industry that the internet was supposed to eliminate (notwithstanding a few platforms like youtube etc). So while digital streaming delivery feels new and revolutionary, we're still kind of operating in the same old system.

It feels like the way forward is putting everything on the same service, and then paying for content directly (say a movie is $5, an episode is $2, and a season of a show is $15 or something). They can even have a tip jar, where if you think it was excellent you can pay more to support creators, in a similar spirit to Patreon.

There's obviously precedent - people used to physically go down to the video store to pay up to what, $7, for a movie we could borrow for one night. I've always balked at the idea of paying for movie online when the internet is ~free~, but it doesn't seem so unnatural anymore. If we haven't moved past it altogether already it feels like we're getting close.

Obviously there will still be production houses, who finance the production in exchange for some of the revenue, (and advertising, just like any product), but it would be easier for people all around the world to access.

So would that work, what are the barriers, and what is the likelihood of it happening?

Companies love this because when you pay without watching the service they get free money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It feels like the way forward is putting everything on the same service, and then paying for content directly (say a movie is $5, an episode is $2, and a season of a show is $15 or something).

Amazon already does this for a bunch of stuff that isn't included with Prime. (And I'm pretty sure YouTube has a similar kind of thing, though I'm not sure how big their catalog is compared to Amazon's.)

But I think in general, they would much rather have a nice steady twelve bucks a month direct from your wallet than an unpredictable few bucks here and there from you going to see a movie or buying a blu-ray.