Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Encounters are most fun when you're terrified and desperate and don't know what is going on. Lines up with other mainline FF boss design and a lot of the soundtrack work, hah.

I've never felt more alive playing this game in recent memory than a recent Porta Decumana with a sprout tank and two flowers. We somehow didn't wipe despite both flowers eating dirt multiple times (thank gently caress for SMN raises!), and because the BRD was slapped with the 50% stat debuff we got so close to the hard enrage that the Ultima cast animation went off after the cutscene fade to black. I actually cheered when we managed to pull through.

Is this what getting your first Savage/Ultimate prog clear feels like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloody Pom posted:

Is this what getting your first Savage/Ultimate prog clear feels like?

Pretty much yeah. My first P5S clear I thought it was a wipe reset when it went to the victory cutscene. Like you said, the hard enrage was going off when it died.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So quick question about gear: I have like roughly ilevel 207ish gear and I have no idea how that stacks up to anything. Still level 60 rocking whatever I had on before. Hauteclaire as my weapon. I'm seeing some of these Rowena vendors in cities selling stuff for Tomestones which I have a small amount of. Should I be buying the best weapon I can find or will it matter as I quest in the MSQ?

And should I continue the quest for the Hauteclaire for later or just leave it on the table for now?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It doesn’t really matter if you’re still doing the MSQ. I think I just bought new gear at the end of each expansion, but the class quests give you sets too. Dungeons have minimum ilvls, if you’re getting near that pick up some new gear.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Levantine posted:

So quick question about gear: I have like roughly ilevel 207ish gear and I have no idea how that stacks up to anything. Still level 60 rocking whatever I had on before. Hauteclaire as my weapon. I'm seeing some of these Rowena vendors in cities selling stuff for Tomestones which I have a small amount of. Should I be buying the best weapon I can find or will it matter as I quest in the MSQ?

And should I continue the quest for the Hauteclaire for later or just leave it on the table for now?

The Rowena vendors sell the upgraded versions of that expansion's final set of tomestone gear. Item-level wise they're better than anything you'll get until about 2/3rds of the way into the next expansion's level range. The MSQ will give you enough gear to keep current, but if you ever want to level another job of the same type then I'd say it's worth it to collect the tome sets for future use. You should get more than enough poetics to afford a full set if you're doing your roulettes.

Hold off on the Hauteclaire quests for now. Those are for the Heavensward relic weapon, which is a massive time and resource sink better left until you have nothing else to do.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The MSQ will constantly you dripfeed you gear upgrades, but Rowena's vendors will always sell you the best gear at lvl 50/60/70/80/90. They'll generally cover you for the first half of each expansion before you have to switch out for better gear. I'd say buy them so you're not just sitting on poetics tomestones, since poetics tomestones are primarily for buying old gear before the current expansion anyways.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Levantine posted:

The tomestone stuff is a pretty big upgrade, it's ilvl270. Definitely worth getting, start with the weapon as it's the most significant boost.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok good to know. I wont sweat things too much until Fashion is my primary concern again. I did my first dungeon (with NPCs), the Antitower and it went really well! Playing with a controller is definitely a different beast and takes a little getting used to, but I also feel like I have more buttons readily available than my hands can handle on the keyboard at once.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

The tomestone stuff is a pretty big upgrade, it's ilvl270. Definitely worth getting, start with the weapon as it's the most significant boost.

This. Weapon damage is your most important stat, since ALL damage and healing you do scales off of it, even for casters. General rule of thumb is the more tomes a piece costs, the more you want it. So, weapon > chest/legs > hat/gloves/boots > accessories.

E: finally hit 70 on SMN last night, so I decided to celebrate by finishing off my Okami-themed glam.

Genyo casting set (14,000 wolf marks total) and the crafted Byakko book. Pastel purple because I'm too cheap to buy pure white.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 15, 2023

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Levantine posted:

Ok good to know. I wont sweat things too much until Fashion is my primary concern again. I did my first dungeon (with NPCs), the Antitower and it went really well! Playing with a controller is definitely a different beast and takes a little getting used to, but I also feel like I have more buttons readily available than my hands can handle on the keyboard at once.
In case this thread gets overwhelming, there is a newbie thread over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013065

There's info in the first few posts which can help with getting you reacclimated, along with a controller guide that you can peek at.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Levantine posted:

You can get controller really nice with the in-game options it doesn't really tell you about. There's up to 48 abilities you can get more or less instant access to, it's great.

For the tome gear, Heavensward is the only time they let you get it before you're through with the expansion; you can buy the armor in Idyllshire the moment you go there. Stormblood and Shadowbringers make you finish the title drop quest to unlock the tome vendors.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Levantine posted:

Weapon damage is the most important stat by far, so yes. Weapons are also very cheap now, and you're a paladin so they're even cheaper. Definitely go pick up an Augmented Shire Sword, it will last you til at least level 64.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Alternatively, do the normal raids, then get a level 90 to carry you through the last one on savage to get a free 275 (and a chest)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

derra posted:

Alternatively, do the normal raids, then get a level 90 to carry you through the last one on savage to get a free 275 (and a chest)

Also do this because the weapons from the final HW savage raid are some of the coolest in the game if you like magitek stuff.

The machinist weapon has Gradius options!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm a bit behind the curve, but I went into the variant Sil'dih for the first time this evening. Chains + fast Shiva circles + spreads followed immediately by towers + giant spreads? This gladiator is an rear end in a top hat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/yamadaaaarrrr/status/1625940711408562176?s=20

Lol gently caress off the beatmap for A Long Fall in the new Theatrhythm is the meme dance

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Theatrhythm is too powerful (which is why I might honest to god drop $100 on it in the next 24 hours)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Lol gently caress off the beatmap for A Long Fall in the new Theatrhythm is the meme dance

I can't decide if things have gone too far or not.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

MechaX posted:

Theatrhythm is too powerful (which is why I might honest to god drop $100 on it in the next 24 hours)

Can you pay for my sub

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

MechaX posted:

Easiest pre-order of my life. Played 100's of hours on 3ds and the demo for bar line was pretty much just, "Ah yes this is exactly as great as I remember it."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

the meme dance

the what

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's in the video, watch the video.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Knowing this version of A Long Fall was in the game was a large factor in me springing for the ultimate edition. Not to say I wouldn't have anyway for Chrono Trigger, but it makes me very happy to know that Square has validated my decision.

EDIT: Even if trying to keep up with the inputs in that video break my brain a little bit, still love that they sync up so well with the dance.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
just wanted to say, g’raha tia (jonathan bailey) showed up in a show i’m watching and i had a visceral reaction to hearing his voice after being my favorite character for so long

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

barclayed posted:

just wanted to say, g’raha tia (jonathan bailey) showed up in a show i’m watching and i had a visceral reaction to hearing his voice after being my favorite character for so long

I know of people who watched Bridgerton just to uh. Hear his voice in certain circumstances.

I'm a massive G'raha fangirl and that was a little "okay then" even for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They have the lights. Rise has a treat in it as well, though not as good as it could've been.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

hopeandjoy posted:

I know of people who watched Bridgerton just to uh. Hear his voice in certain circumstances.

I'm a massive G'raha fangirl and that was a little "okay then" even for me.

lol! it’s not bridgerton, but i did watch the first episode and it wasn’t for me. it’s broadchurch, he plays a journalist.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Double Dream Feet has come so far...

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

poo poo right, that comes out like now doesn't it?

That's amazing.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

poo poo right, that comes out like now doesn't it?

That's amazing.

Yes, it released today

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

barclayed posted:

That's the fun thing about British actors, most of them do a bit of everything so you can hear Zenos in a car commercial with Stephen Hawking

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Waffleman_ posted:

That's the fun thing about British actors, most of them do a bit of everything so you can hear Zenos in a car commercial with Stephen Hawking

The most striking one that I'll always mention every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV98JEAdWJ0

Nidhogg.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

And of course there's Subway Estinien

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

barclayed posted:

One of my friends is in the UK and recognizes all of the actors from soaps and commercials. I'm sure it's a very strange experience.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Emet Selch is in Emmerdale https://youtu.be/RnpC4IbilUM

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Emetdale

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
A Long Fall has to be in my top 3 Beat Saber experiences too. It's just a joy to move to.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm voice-blind, I can never tell when an actor is in something else.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Corbeau posted:

A Long Fall has to be in my top 3 Beat Saber experiences too. It's just a joy to move to.

There's probably a lot of ffxiv songs on custom song sites, aren't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm voice-blind, I can never tell when an actor is in something else.

I play with God's own Japanese VA :smug: