Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

Kieran's Goals

Remain Single for a Year
8%

I love the implication that this is something he's struggled with in previous years, but he's been putting in the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That sounds like someone who's read a bunch of books on 'how to succeed in life'.
I mean, if you're going to do it anyway, why not make it into the easiest goal of the year?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Tory Boy getting some help coding his website.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The 'not proven' verdict is such a weird thing. I mean, it does essentially mean 'we definitely think you did it but we don't have enough evidence to charge you' doesn't it? I honestly think I'd rather just be found guilty, then when I've served my sentence I could say 'yes, I did a bad thing but I did the time for it and have been punished and have reflected on my actions'. 'Not proven' seems like it kinda puts you in a limbo where you can never really move past it, you don't get the catharsis of punishment or the acknowledgement of innocence. I'd find that very mentally difficult. I think Zizek says something about this, that punishment for crime acts as a form of retributive absolution - once you've gone through the process you're sort of born anew, symbolically at least. Everyone acknowledging that you probably did something but refusing to go through that, to him, is the cruellest possible outcome for the accused, because you're never free of your guilt and demons. Of course that's assuming you're a functional emotional person and not a complete sociopathic wrong-un, but even so.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah but combine "not proven" with "innocent until proven guilty" and you get innocent

Who are you replying to anyway

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
There are plans to remove the option of a Not Proven verdict going through the scottish parliament at the moment, but it hasn't been actually voted on yet afaik. Main reason for scrapping it seems to be how it's used in rape cases.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ah, forgot to refresh. It was from a few pages back.

I get what you mean but then again that makes the whole verdict even weirder. Why not just ditch it and have 'innocent/guilty' like everywhere that isn't Scotland.

E: ^^^

yeah, I mean in cases of alleged sexual crimes it does seem to read as code for 'definitely did it but not sufficient evidence', so you're technically free but every single person in your life is going to be wary as hell of you and assume you're actually guilty. If you hadn't actually done it that seems quite cruel!

E2: just read that link and yeah, very fair points wrt making it easier to let people off. Seems like a very poor system that screws over everyone involved.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 16, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a lot of different standards of guilt though, like in many jurisdictions you can be found not guilty of a criminal act, but then found liable for civil damages for the that you caused by the thing that the criminal court said you couldn't have been proven beyond reasonable doubt to have done, but the civil court found that you were more likely than not to have done.

It's unlikely that them weemin are going to want to be around the "my civil case raises a lot of questions already answered by my not guilty t-shirt" guy either.

Tesseraction posted:

Maxwell's Semen
:golfclap:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Conservatism in microcosm

lol it's exactly that

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's irritating that with the variety of heights i can't do the Deadpool trick of one bullet, five heads. :commissar:

If you line them up by height you might be able to get the the right angle?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

We’re now beyond parody: the leader of loving Compass thinks Keith has gone too far purging the left. Actually using those words, too.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Conservatism in microcosm

Conservacosm

Or as some say, Conservacos

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kingturnip posted:

That sounds like someone who's read a bunch of books on 'how to succeed in life'.
I mean, if you're going to do it anyway, why not make it into the easiest goal of the year?

It's much funnier if you look at the books he has actually managed to read.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
That book list looks like virtue signalling to me, Kieran.

I assume he is named after Kier Starmer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

OK, well that's the worst loving thing I've come across in a bit.

This kid should've been bullied more.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

May the Jedi Rammeth thine Lightsaber uppeth thine arse

Clarence
May 3, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Check out the smug interns in this pic. I'm not sure they could look any more Tory

https://twitter.com/twocitiesnickie/status/1625885327305936896/

Are those posh school ties they are wearing?

Also, looks like Leonard Hofstadter has decided to grow a moustache.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's very responsive on twitter.

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1626249400891633664

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1626253989393182720

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a compelling argument for the introduction of a robust bullying program onto the school syllabus

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Don’t touch the poop, why are goons like this

Edit: especially when it’s a literal 17 year old child

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you would kill Baby Hitler, then you are also morally obligated to bully Baby Gove

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should have done the monarchy like the Star Wars, start with George IV, V, and VI in the 18th century, then do the first three afterwards in the 20th.

Then sell the whole thing to disney or whatever and leave it to cosplayers and people that collect merch of weird looking babies.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The boy seems somehow to have missed Star Wars Part The Eighth: The Final Solution To The Jedi Problem.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought all the star wars books have been made non canon or something? or is there a fork in the star wars universe with some hold outs?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Counterpoint: He deserves to be bullied and Fuctifino is doing Gods work

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

posting is praxis

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Posting is a contact sport, and sometimes it's good for you to get called a dumb oval office.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

I see the question was already answered:

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you would kill Baby Hitler, then you are also morally obligated to bully Baby Gove

Gonzo McFee posted:

Posting is a contact sport, and sometimes it's good for you to get called a dumb oval office.

smellmycheese posted:

Counterpoint: He deserves to be bullied and Fuctifino is doing Gods work

Have some unrelated lol content:

https://twitter.com/DrMatthewSweet/status/1626004398152318980

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I kinda feel sorry for the kid. Comes across like he's got some kind of high functioning learning disability or something, judging from his website and his Twitter.

Otoh this will present no obstacle to succeeding in the Conservative Party or British politics in general, so yeah, bully away I guess!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would absolutely write an op ed in the sunday sport.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

lol it's exactly that

If you line them up by height you might be able to get the the right angle?

True, but tbh they are small fry... save the ammo for current & past cabinet members only.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I thought I was being relatively kind to him. He seems eager to respond to people, and he is genuinely loving hilarious

https://twitter.com/TheKJChambers/status/1626259198462894080

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I would absolutely write an op ed in the sunday sport.

I thought you’d done one on Sex Arses

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I will debate Dr. Prof. Jord. B. Peterson in Razzle.

Wanking after whiskey vs. crying yourself into a benzo coma because you drank a sip of apple cider and saw a porm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I challenge any tory to best me in a burt reynolds photoshoot competition.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I thought I was being relatively kind to him. He seems eager to respond to people, and he is genuinely loving hilarious

https://twitter.com/TheKJChambers/status/1626259198462894080

gently caress this little nerd's politics etc but I'm coming around on him. He's such a little dweeb that I almost like him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I will debate Dr. Prof. Jord. B. Peterson in Razzle.

Wanking after whiskey vs. crying yourself into a benzo coma because you drank a sip of apple cider and saw a porm.

Dr. Peeperson would only appear in Razzle if his daughter was on pg. 3

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jel Shaker posted:

i thought all the star wars books have been made non canon or something? or is there a fork in the star wars universe with some hold outs?

All the old extended universe stuff is 'legends' cannon now but they're still pumping out new novels and comics and cartoons and poo poo in the new continuity and they sometimes bring back popular EU stuff like admiral Thrawn or that werid faced bounty hunter that was in the boba fett show (or mando who cares).

The old EU books were completely trampled all over by the Prequel movies anyway so they had a priority system for cannonicity where they definitely happened unless they were directly contradicted by information in an actual movie or movie tie in but they were more important than anything shown in a videogame. It was a mess.

Ultimately though who cares. If you like a story it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit in the same universe as the latest new worst official star wars movie. Theres probably a billlion more interesting boba fett stories than what ever the gently caress they did with him in his own tv show recently. Theres also a wide wide variety of complete crap out there too, such is the nature of the star wars EU.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

My wife got one of those scam “mum” texts

And replied so magnificently they went quiet after 4 texts lol

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
lol I just went to cancel my Kindle Unlimited subscription because I'm in a reading lull, and Amazon automatically offered me the next 3 months for 99p

I accepted of course, the bastards. Maybe I should read those star wars books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

including the page count is just the cherry on top