Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Not entirely sold on it at all, but man, it's just nice having Riker around again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Delsaber posted:

That was fine I guess? But also weirdly airless. On its own it didn't feel like it amounts to much of anything, which you could say about the first episode in a lot of season arcs, but more so this time. Maybe there's a reason why better current shows like Andor drop two episodes up front before going weekly, or why older better shows did two-hour pilots

I wasn't expecting to see Laris again so that was cool. Jeri Ryan is always great when she's on a show that allows her to emote. Shaw could be a fun rear end in a top hat? Sidney's cute. I don't know, there's like nothing here to talk about yet other than visual design tidbits and goofy action movie stuff that only angry youtubers still pretend to care about

:same:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Gonz posted:

The Titan-A isn’t a new ship. It’s a refit of the Titan. It’s a “Neo-Constitution” class.

My inner nerd is screaming at how nonsensical this is.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

it’d be a lot cleaner if the term refit applied to the class and not the Titan specifically; e.g. shorthand for “this is an evolved Constitution design”.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TerminalRaptor posted:

My inner nerd is screaming at how nonsensical this is.

We've gotten to that point in Federation history where there's hundreds of honor-infused legacy names and titles floating around getting pinned to any shiny new ship, but the process is so drenched in opaque bureaucracy the results are unsatisfying for all involved

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I just assume the writers have no idea what the word "refit" means and move on with my day.

What I dislike more is the habit nutrek has of just giving every ol' ship the -A/-B/etc. treatment. I'm nearly certain the Enterprise was the only one to ever get that as an honorific up until the last couple of years.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Drone posted:

I just assume the writers have no idea what the word "refit" means and move on with my day.

I'm pretty sure at this point Chat-GPT has a better understanding of Star Trek and could write a better story that's more true to the characters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point Chat-GPT has a better understanding of Star Trek and could write a better story that's more true to the characters.

From one of the Chat-GPT threads:

Moai Ou posted:

I spent entirely too much time making this. I had ChatGPT generate a scene for Star Trek: TNG with the prompt: Write a screenplay for an episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" about Data trying to make people fall for the "pull my finger" gag.

I fed the lines into xVASynth, using some Star Trek models I found on their Discord. Threw it all into Audacity with some music and sound effects, and now I present to you:

Encounter at Fartpoint :ughh:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Drone posted:

What I dislike more is the habit nutrek has of just giving every ol' ship the -A/-B/etc. treatment. I'm nearly certain the Enterprise was the only one to ever get that as an honorific up until the last couple of years.

The profile for the Titan-A justifies it by explaining that eventually the Titan gotten beaten up bad enough that it was taken out of service for a ground up refit/rebuild in the style of the Constitution-refit, but mid construction newer technologies became available so they just shifted priorities and the design drastically changed around them. The basic space frame and internals of the ship are still the old Titan and that makes it count as a 'refit' rather than just a new ship

Also in something like 1000~ years of time covered it's gone from one ship having the legacy registry treatment to seven, they still don't hand those things out often.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The only ship I'm largely okay with it aside from the Enterprise is Voyager which has enough justification for it. I love Riker but the Titan doesn't deserve that treatment just because his rear end sat in the chair.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Why do they continue pacing this show like the worst HBO original that comes out every season? I just won't understand. I guess they have time to pivot, but man, Terry did some spin, none of the real gripes were addressed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Eimi posted:

The only ship I'm largely okay with it aside from the Enterprise is Voyager which has enough justification for it. I love Riker but the Titan doesn't deserve that treatment just because his rear end sat in the chair.

It should have a show first, definitely.

The Defiant could possibly do it and I'd accept that, since DS9 is a station and I don't think they get that courtesy. If DS9 blew up, would the new station be DS9 still? Or would it be shuffled in the order and be given a new designation?

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I guess if Riker can tell Ro Laren gently caress your culture and its earrings than Shaw can tell Seven gently caress your chosen identity and your name, right?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Applying any semblance of a competent Starfleet to this show would be a massive mistake to assume.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

bev's voice at least sounds pretty much the same

i'm gathering picard and laris got together in s2?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

roomtone posted:

bev's voice at least sounds pretty much the same

i'm gathering picard and laris got together in s2?

My read on the entire point of the end of S2 is don't be afraid of what you have at home.

And it all pretty much goes away in Picard and Laris' first conversation, rendering all of that and what were some good performances instantly moot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

feedmyleg posted:

From one of the Chat-GPT threads:

Holy poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

If DS9 blew up, would the new station be DS9 still? Or would it be shuffled in the order and be given a new designation?

It would make sense to give whatever replaced it a new name as its no longer the fringes of Starfleet space.
DS9 would be given to the next station outpost on Buttfuckia where the local population only got first contact recently.
Or retired and the next one given DS-whatever the next highest number is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The new station would be the Deep Space Nine - A

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DOOMocrat posted:

My read on the entire point of the end of S2 is don't be afraid of what you have at home.

And it all pretty much goes away in Picard and Laris' first conversation, rendering all of that and what were some good performances instantly moot.

The entire point of season 2 was "please do not think about season 2, we didn't actually want to make it, so it just never happened." Picard and Laris are together because they just are okay. But they won't be ultimately, fanservice demands he finally winds up with Beverly after 30 years of teasing it.

He's never going to see that sunset from the bar on Bugfuckulka VII or wherever the poo poo he's moving to with Laris to retire because he's either going to die, or he's going to hook up with Bev. Either way, Laris is the last remaining thread aside from Raffi linking to the memory hole era of Picard and she's now been severed, never to bee seen again.

Just like Star Wars, in Picard, Star Trek has no future, only past because the future is scary and it makes nerds mad. So let the pandering commence!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DOOMocrat posted:

The show has spent way too much time continuously retreading and retreading talking about striking a balance between thinking about the past and living in the present and building a future and the benefits and drawbacks of both.

I liked Raffi's fakeout relapse and the giant portal weapon. I haven't played Portal because the beginning was too suspenseful when I started playing it, but I'll play it eventually and I appreciate how physics portals have since threaded their way through different sci-fi. In a TV show they always thwart disaster in the nick of time, but at the start of a (ten hour) movie, they always find out the villain's plan just in time to see it happen.

Everything on the Titan was great, kinda weird to have Riker deliver the "your nickname used to be Crash LaForge" exposition

The underworld scene looked like every other underworld I've ever seen, specifically Nar Shadaa from Star Wars: (Knights of) The Old Republic and lower Coruscant, and they all just blend together now, except when you have elements of the broader setting like it being on a moon like Nar Shadaa or an asteroid like the Picard season 1 world or the Coruscant elements, but there's a commonality between them all other than that. Maybe that's just a thing about people being the same everywhere so this is more of a nitpick, idk. Also, I had also played the beginning of Fallout 3 but not finished it and so was expecting it to lead up to villain who wanted to set the world on fire but that's also a nitpick.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 16, 2023

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Man am I glad im not wasting ten hours of my life on Picard 3: This time theres Worf.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tars Tarkas posted:

Did not enjoy Riker suddenly in a bad marriage, Starfleet full of dicks, the show following the same trajectory as season 1 with them slowly gathering the cast before the plot gets going

Ok this pisses me off because the Rikers, even with their personal tragedy, were the best part of season one. clearly in a committed and loving relationship, a relationship in which one person is a literal empath. it reminds me of having Han and Leia be estranged in ep 7 because apparently JJ couldn't figure out a better way to have Han and Chewie show up. clown poo poo

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

Ok this pisses me off because the Rikers, even with their personal tragedy, were the best part of season one. clearly in a committed and loving relationship, a relationship in which one person is a literal empath. it reminds me of having Han and Leia be estranged in ep 7 because apparently JJ couldn't figure out a better way to have Han and Chewie show up. clown poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pyroi posted:

Man am I glad im not wasting ten hours of my life on Picard 3: This time theres Worf.

Correct

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

galenanorth posted:

I liked Raffi's fakeout relapse and the giant portal weapon.

They really did seem dumb enough to do it again. I'm nowhere near convinced they won't.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Professor Beetus posted:

"Two characters were in a loving relationship the last time we saw them? gently caress that, rip 'em apart! That's DRAMA, baby! Everyone has to be tense and at each other's throats the whole time! Plus we get to recycle all their old 'will they, won't they' beats, because that's NOSTALGIA, baby!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

god that was so bad, this show is so bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard and Beverly and Laris should just have an open throuple going

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was aggressively “fine”

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

HD DAD posted:

That was aggressively “fine”

Pretty much where I'm at. Can't enjoy the new bits because of the trauma of them showing me so many things they've hosed up before.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also that little tidbit makes me a lot less confident in my toxx that none of the main cast will die. Because why the gently caress not I guess. One of my favorite things about TNG was Riker having such a mature and respectful relationship with Troi, and how they didn't have an issue with each other having other partners. It felt earned when they got married in Nemesis, despite the rest of that dumpster fire of a movie. God drat Terry Matalas sucks rear end.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

DOOMocrat posted:

Pretty much where I'm at. Can't enjoy the new bits because of the trauma of them showing me so many things they've hosed up before.

The pattern has sort of been established at this point - each season starts with a near fatal dose of nostalgia to lube up the fans before immediately descending into mediocre-at-best, CW levels of shlock for the remainder of the season.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The attack on Starfleet shown in the trailers had already been a bit of a holy gently caress moment, but then...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

The pattern has sort of been established at this point - each season starts with a near fatal dose of nostalgia to lube up the fans before immediately descending into mediocre-at-best, CW levels of shlock for the remainder of the season.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me... can't get fooled again heheheheh.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Riker and Troi’s marriage starting the season on the rocks all but guarantees that one of them will bite the dust. Either Troi to reinforce regret in Riker and steel his resolve in helping his Enterprise family, or Riker as some stupid way to “redeem” himself for whatever he’s done.

I am a very smart writer, this is how you raise stakes and create drama, yes

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Penitent posted:

Every season also starts with a Picard/Laris conversation about the pros/cons of staying home or having an adventure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Riker and Troi’s marriage starting the season on the rocks all but guarantees that one of them will bite the dust. Either Troi to reinforce regret in Riker and steel his resolve in helping his Enterprise family, or Riker as some stupid way to “redeem” himself for whatever he’s done.

I am a very smart writer, this is how you raise stakes and create drama, yes

If it were basically any other set of writers, I'd have assumed that Troi and Riker being on the outs at the start of the show would lead to them being forced into an adventure together, passing through danger and it rekindling their love for each other and makes them realize why they need each other and they emerge on the other end of it a stronger couple. But this is Star Trek: Picard, so Riker's going to get hit by a bus in a dimly lit hallway out of nowhere, and Troi is going to go to the bathroom in episode 4 and the writers are literally going to forget she exists and go when it's pointed out them on Twitter by some rando.

Like how Narek is still sitting in that glass cage on Robot Planet, or how Soji is still at that bar on Delta IV, and Elnor is still in Guinan's bar just sitting there waiting for someone to pick him up and take him home.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 16, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In general, I thought the episode was just okay.

-I don't think the show knows what it's doing with Laris and Picard
-M'Talas Prime (lol) looked like a cross between Star Wars and Blade Runner
-Has the Titan made an appearance other than in Lower Decks?
-Portal weapon looks cool
-I'm pretty oblivious when watching stuff because it didn't occur to me that Worf is Raffi's handler even though in retrospect it's pretty easy to deduce

Wasn't Terry Matalas supposed to save Picard when he took over in s2? I'll keep watching with minimal expectations since Last of Us is the only other currently airing show on my schedule. :shrug:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Seasons 1 and 2 of Picard managed to surprise me in new and consistently disappointing/horrible ways, so I'm not even going to try to guess what S3 is going to inflict on us.

Outside of my earlier bet that Worf dies, I'm sticking to that one.