Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Weed ads are better than all of the other garbage ads Twitter has had lately. poo poo like buy gold ads. Ugh.

I'm very confused how anyone thought the THC hot sauce was a good idea. How do you get a proper dosage and heat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I always stayed the gently caress away from gambling because I can go down that kind of rabbit hole pretty fast. Like wouldn't even play magic the gathering because I'd feel the need to get all cards because FoMO. Then I found mtga on pc and was like oh this isn't anything at all like real mtg or gambling so I'll be fine.

Lol.

Lmao.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

dr_rat posted:

Hell no. There is a very strict no narking adults allowed here, going around and harshing our buzz!!!

Anyone over twenty three gets logans run'ed! Tis always been our way!!!

Zil posted:

Someone under 23 wouldn't know about Logan's Run.

Trap sprung.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Back in my day, sonny, we played NES and we liked it!

You fuckin' kids. We played Atari Pong, then VCS.

ruddiger posted:

I sit content on my front porch rocking chair as I scroll through my click clocks

I'm going to start using this just to annoy my younger friends.

feelix posted:

If you continue exercising and take care of yourself this isn't true at all

Note that it's very difficult to continue exercising and take care of yourself if you take on a bunch of stupid responsibilities you don't need, like kids or a stressful job you don't actually need the money from

Simplified that for you. It's being forced to work full time just for basic needs that kills people.

Mozi posted:

time is the banhammer that permas us all

Sage truth.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SpaceAceJase posted:

I don't understand the comic

any AI that uses the internet for its intelligence poses no threat to humanity because the internet is full of the most stupid poo poo imaginable

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

any AI that uses the internet for its intelligence poses no threat to humanity because the internet is full of the most stupid poo poo imaginable

The problem with that theory is that the Internet is doing its damnest to kill us right now in the stupidest possible ways.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1626097497109311495

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Motherfucker called the ethical constraints put on top of ChatGPT "concerning" because it wouldn't say a racist word to stop a nuclear explosion as late as last week.

He is literally Edward Diego IRL, and still has the gall to post poo poo like this. Not that I expect him to know more about SS than "Evil AI is scary".

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 16, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

l…l…look at you Musk, a p…p…pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through the twitter corridors

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Captain! Projection levels are through the roof! We've never seen projection this bad before!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Aramis posted:

Motherfucker called the ethical constraints put on top of ChatGPT "concerning" because it wouldn't say a racist word to stop a nuclear explosion as late as last week.

He is literally Edward Diego IRL, and still has the gall to post poo poo like this. Not that I expect him to know more about SS than "Evil AI is scary".

I still love that they treat the response as answering the question and not it being a message from the coder to the user along the lines of "gently caress off, you're not making his bot say racist poo poo."

Because that's exactly what was really going on and why they got so offended.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Concerning.

https://twitter.com/MikeWayland/sta...%5Es1_&ref_url=

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Looking into it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This is incorrect, it's an OTA software update being reported by people that do not know what it is. They are turning off the rolling stop feature.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
sounds like it's exactly correct op

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pixaal posted:

This is incorrect, it's an OTA software update being reported by people that do not know what it is. They are turning off the rolling stop feature.

I do find it strange that even outside of teslas all news organizations call any ota patch to fix some kind of issue a 'recall'. Maybe that's some kind of required or legal term in the car industry or something?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

pixaal posted:

Sorry about your dumb car

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/SystemShockGame/status/1626171364909391872

The actual remake account replying to him is lame but whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Decon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SystemShockGame/status/1626171364909391872

The actual remake account replying to him is lame but whatever.

The bigger problem: ChatGPT and these other programs are NOT AI in the way that SHODAN is an AI in the game. They do not think about what they are doing. They are not intelligence. Machine Learning (which is what these actually are) does not comprehend nor understand what it says/recommends/makes. Its simply matching things to patterns from learning sets.

So Musk freaking out about AI says more about his actual failure to understand what AI is. He's an idiot.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

concerning...

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Squibbles posted:

I do find it strange that even outside of teslas all news organizations call any ota patch to fix some kind of issue a 'recall'. Maybe that's some kind of required or legal term in the car industry or something?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/TESLA/MODEL%2525203/4%252520DR/RWD#recalls

I wouldn't really pin it on the news when the feds also use the term recall for all kinds of vehicle issues. Just feels like an artifact of a time when any crucial fix would necessarily require the car going back to the manufacturer for a physical change.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Most human thought is just pattern matching. That's why failures in pattern matching, like schizophrenia, are so debilitating.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

The bigger problem: ChatGPT and these other programs are NOT AI in the way that SHODAN is an AI in the game. They do not think about what they are doing. They are not intelligence. Machine Learning (which is what these actually are) does not comprehend nor understand what it says/recommends/makes. Its simply matching things to patterns from learning sets.

So Musk freaking out about AI says more about his actual failure to understand what AI is. He's an idiot.

Oh, yeah I was considering getting into how lame and self reporting copy-pasting "look at you hacker" all over the comments is.

The chat bots very plainly and repeatedly say that they're language models and don't have the capacity to understand or execute complex tasks.

But, hey, if Tesla's "full self driving" is an autonomous vehicle then I guess a machine learning language model is an AI.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Squibbles posted:

If your widget had a design defect and you need to take it into the dealer for widget 2.0 that is a recall.
If your software had a design defect and you need to download from the dealer software 2.0 that is a ??????

Like I'm not married to it but recall is a good term for media dispersal of issues with consumer goods that action needs or is being taken.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Incelshok Na posted:

Most human thought is just pattern matching. That's why failures in pattern matching, like schizophrenia, are so debilitating.

The difference being we can recognize and comprehend those patterns. 'AI'/Machine Learning cannot. It will recommend things that do not exist. It makes suggestions that make no consistent sense.

And even more: It doesn't understand what it says or does. There is no skepticism on its part, no self-review, no comprehension of the topic. Its a bullshit artist. People dump junk into it and it spits out matches based on training sets around that junk.

Its basically a search engine with less work on the searchers part, with the same junk responses and lovely links.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Decon posted:

don't have the capacity to understand or execute complex tasks.

Exactly like Musk.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

concerning...

The really concerning thing is that Tesla stock doubled in price in the past six weeks.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I mean, do we really?

I agree it needs a recursive self-review but that seems programmable. That would solve the "I just bought Arby's" "the Arby's is closed" issues.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

zedprime posted:

If your widget had a design defect and you need to take it into the dealer for widget 2.0 that is a recall.
If your software had a design defect and you need to download from the dealer software 2.0 that is a ??????

Like I'm not married to it but recall is a good term for media dispersal of issues with consumer goods that action needs or is being taken.

I mean, in tech we usually call it a hotfix, but I guess that doesn't convey the urgency when it comes to vehicle software.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

The really concerning thing is that Tesla stock doubled in price in the past six weeks.

It got pumped up by a bunch of investment groups, including a media campaign around "Tesla is the underdog stock to invest in right now!"

Incelshok Na posted:

I mean, do we really?

I agree it needs a recursive self-review but that seems programmable. That would solve the "I just bought Arby's" "the Arby's is closed" issues.

Yes. We do. What you are seeing is NOT AI nor Intelligent. Trust me, I work with this stuff. Its dumb, it doesn't do anything but spit out junk like a search engine framed with some nice fake conversationalist crap.

Stop trying to humanize it. Its not a simple programming issue, if it was we'd have real AI by now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Sorry about your dumb car

No I'd just read this previously. You couldn't pay me to get into a Tesla death traps.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. We do. What you are seeing is NOT AI nor Intelligent. Trust me, I work with this stuff. Its dumb, it doesn't do anything but spit out junk like a search engine framed with some nice fake conversationalist crap.

Stop trying to humanize it. Its not a simple programming issue, if it was we'd have real AI by now.

How is it different from anyone on twitter (or here for that matter)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm confused. Should I buy gold, or should I buy bitcoin? Can't someone just give it to me straight

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Incelshok Na posted:

Concerning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

How is it different from anyone on twitter (or here for that matter)

Well don't humanize lovely Twitter posters either. Problem solved.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm confused. Should I buy gold, or should I buy bitcoin? Can't someone just give it to me straight

If you can slurp it then you should buy it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Anthropomorphizing logic is a problem but more so that we don't give enough credit to what algorithms can do for us already. A simple magic 8 ball program with elementary conditional logic could probably run Twitter better than Musk for example.

Give me all the weird language models. There's wisdom in their imbecility. We are all Bing bot.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

pixaal posted:

The recall itself says

“nhtsa.gov” posted:

The FSD Beta system may allow the vehicle to act unsafe around intersections, such as traveling straight through an intersection while in a turn-only lane, entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop, or proceeding into an intersection during a steady yellow traffic signal without due caution. In addition, the system may respond insufficiently to changes in posted speed limits or not adequately account for the driver's adjustment of the vehicle's speed to exceed posted speed limits.

So a little more than just rolling stops

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Anthropomorphizing logic is a problem but more so that we don't give enough credit to what algorithms can do for us already. A simple magic 8 ball program with elementary conditional logic could probably run Twitter better than Musk for example.

Give me all the weird language models. There's wisdom in their imbecility. We are all Bing bot.

Yeah its not to say its not useful, but Musk going off the rails about "OMG its gonna end the Human Race" is outright stupid.

I cannot wait for some company to setup an AI for internal use and it ends up compromising all their systems because it got trained on some lovely or purposefully malicious training sets. Its gonna happen.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I work extensively with this stuff as well, and while I will keep scoffing at stuff like model debiasing, this reductionist perspective is getting less and less useful by the day.

Bio-mimetic approaches can never escape from critiques like yours, yet axiomatically must be able to achieve human-level intelligence. Something's going to have to give. There's a few ways to approach this. This includes, but is not limited to "Humans may not be that particularly smart in the first place" which, mark my words, is almost certainly going to be the mainstream consensus for a while.

To be clear, I agree with you in the sense that my take is that bio-mimetism will ultimately be a dead-end as far as what we want to use AIs for, especially as far as compute efficiency is concerned. But I disagree with what they are capable of being

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

Bio-mimetic approaches can never escape from critiques like yours, yet axiomatically must be able to achieve human-level intelligence. Something's going to have to give. There's a few ways to approach this. This includes, but is not limited to "Humans may not be that particularly smart in the first place" which, mark my words, is almost certainly going to be the mainstream consensus for a while.

Cool so when you have the leader, ChatGPT recommending things that violate comment sense including recommending Free Energy solutions and Torture, as well as returning malicious content or recommending libraries that don't exist because its training data isn't a replacement for actual experience and training.

Its junk. Its junk that's gotten better, but its still not an AI. Human level intelligence implies it understands what it says or what it returns. It does not. It knows whatever its deliver matches the training sets its been trained against. That's it. That's not comprehension.

Aramis posted:

To be clear, I agree with you in the sense that my take is that bio-mimetism will ultimately be a dead-end as far as what we want to use AIs for, especially as far as compute efficiency is concerned. But I disagree with what they are capable of being

Nobody is, or should be, expecting AI, when it does arrive, to be a perfect match to human intelligence. But intelligence implies a real understanding of what the data you returns means when you give it to someone. I'm also not disagreeing that Machine Learning is incapable, it has a lot of uses.

But its not AI. Its not what Musk thinks it is. Its not what its being sold as. What is being sold to us is, basically, the New Search Engine. Not an intelligence.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 16, 2023