Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

TaurusTorus posted:

A man was having a fairly intense phone conversation with his girlfriend in the bathroom. I had Taco Bell for lunch. I do not apologize.

That is what should happen every time someone has decided to head into a multi-stall public bathroom to talk on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Escape From Noise posted:

My coworker came it the brewery holding the phone and was like "It's the police." Then, after a pause, "They found your business card holder.". :argh: Lol. I just about poo poo myself.

You mean the police actually find lost poo poo in Japan?! do you live in a children's TV show where cops help you fix a flat tire and firefighters save kittens from trees?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

DeeplyConcerned posted:

You mean the police actually find lost poo poo in Japan?! do you live in a children's TV show where cops help you fix a flat tire and firefighters save kittens from trees?

Yeah. They do but they also commit a fair amount of human rights violations and ignore crimes like sexual assault and domestic violence.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Freaquency posted:

Well there have been several recent pushes to move toward simplifying the income tax system (the “here’s a postcard with what you should have paid, if this looks correct sign and send back” that a lot of other places seem to have) but a huge industry has sprung up around tax filing services. HR Block, Intuit, etc etc all lobbied heavily to kill those bills because then they wouldn’t be able to wrench 50 bucks from lower and middle class workers every April. Our taxes are dumb and difficult because it makes TurboTax money.

Unfortunately there are about a million factors that all want US taxes to be more complicated, and the tax businesses are only one of them. Get rid of the Intuit et al. influence and you'd make it cheaper to do for people at least, but I doubt it'd be much less complicated. Given the tons of people who want taxes set up to encourage certain behaviors, the others who want it "fair" (which means lots of rules to cover all the different situations), and the assholes who just want loopholes to exploit, you have plenty of people pushing lots of rules. Also many of these rules boil down to "here's a way to owe less tax". Trump tried to "simplify" the tax laws and he did it by way of loving a lot of people out of deductions they used to be able to get to pay for his business tax cuts; I assure you the people in my office were not thrilled at "simply" owing a lot more, and they were not the rich ones either. Though I find it hilarious Trump tried to make a "postcard" 1040... and the IRS wound up with a postcard you had to staple up to six new schedules onto to cover the stuff the previous 1040 had. At least that got revised to three now.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short answer, yes, but there are a lot of caveats to that.

First off, there is a foreign tax credit. Anything you payed in foreign taxes can be taken as a deduction on your income, which lowers your American tax burden. There is also a foreign earned income exclusion that covers up to ~$100k of income, but you have to have spent the vast majority of the year (11 months I think) abroad.

The tl;dr is that if you're something like an ESL teacher, no, you're not getting double taxed on your pay, but you have some way more complicated returns and you may want to hire someone to do them for you. Or not, depending on how much you trust your own work with that.

I forget what the order of operations is for the foreign tax credit and the foreign earned income exclusion, but I'm pretty sure the FTC applies first. So let's say you're living in Germany. There's a progressive income tax there that tops out at ~40% at ~60k Euro (well, it really tops out at 45% for the really high earners, but the bit ramp up happens in the 50s iirc. It's kinda poo poo how low the curve starts flattening out, to be frank). If you're making 75k Euro and having that eaten down to 45k by taxes, your American taxable burden is about ~$45k (1 dollar = 1.07 Euro right now which make this easy), which means you're well under the foreign earned income exclusion. So in our German scenario you really only start getting taxed on income over about $175,000 (because the German taxes drop it down to <$100k), and you're only getting double-taxed on income above that threshold.

Which sucks, but it makes it a problem for relatively high earners and to be honest if you've got some foreign company that wants to pay you $200k+ to work for them chances are you are in a situation where you have access to the kinds of financial professionals who can figure out additional ways to minimize your tax burden. Maybe pay you through a subsidiary in the US or something. Once you're in the realm of high earner problems a lot of opportunities open up that aren't there for your typical ESL teacher or, I would presume, Japanese brewer.

edit: It's annoying when you're dealing with this poo poo, but to be frank some of it is kind of needed and necessary. You don't want someone who's lived in Europe for their entire adult lives and paid effectively zero income tax drawing social security, for example, but it's also lovely to tell that same person to pound sand and eat cat food if they move back to the US in their 70s.

OK, couple clarifications. The foreign earned income exclusion (the ~$100k of wages/business income not counting) comes first generally, then if you're over that amount (or have non-"earned" income like investments) you can apply the foreign tax credit as well, or if you prefer you can just do the tax credit. If you stack both, the foreign tax credit can't use any tax on the excluded amount (i.e. if you have $200,000 taxed in the foreign country and exclude half of that, you only take half the tax as a credit). This generally still zeroes out the US taxes since as mentioned almost everybody else has a higher tax rate (also being weaker than the dollar like a lot of foreign currencies tends to reduce the US taxable income since the taxes are always calculated on the US dollar value).

Other things; foreign earned income exclusion eligibility boils down to either the time spent out of the country or evidence of "bona fide" residence (you've made sincere efforts to actually establish a long term home in the country, and you haven't done things like try to dodge their taxes because "I'm foreign"). US taxes are not hard to wind up zeroing out unless you have a bunch of investments still in the US not taxed overseas in my experience, but you do add a bunch of forms to your tax return and if you have bank accounts over a certain amount overseas you have even more paperwork to report their existence (mainly so they know you aren't trying to hide money that way). And getting married has its own weirdness to deal with tax-wise, plus lots of countries have treaties with the US that affect taxes for citizens of one country living in the other. This all makes it complicated even for experienced tax professionals (I happen to deal with a lot of it so I've had to advise more senior people who haven't, and sometimes we've taken days double-checking the math is right), so I don't envy the poor expat trying to do it cheaply and basically.

Yeah. They do but they also commit a fair amount of human rights violations and ignore crimes like sexual assault and domestic violence.

Pretty sure ACAB is a universal principle, yeah.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do my taxes outside the US and the only time it was ever hard is when I got those chucklefucks at KPMG involved. Legitimately such a bad experience and so incompetent I am denying their bids at any company I work at moving forward. Wouldnt trust them to account if they farted or poo poo their pants.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

I do my taxes outside the US and the only time it was ever hard is when I got those chucklefucks at KPMG involved. Legitimately such a bad experience and so incompetent I am denying their bids at any company I work at moving forward. Wouldnt trust them to account if they farted or poo poo their pants.

I just pay someone to do it. I'm also not great at math, admittedly.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

I just pay someone to do it. I'm also not great at math, admittedly.

Any idea how much you're paying them? :thunk:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Evilreaver posted:

They’d have to check the spreadsheet

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

I just keep giving them money until the emails stop.

FreshFeesh posted:

They’d have to check the spreadsheet

I don't even know what that is!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Last department wide meeting, my hairless CFO declared that being unshaven to meet a c-level employee is equal to disrespect to a c-level person.

I've ensured I have neither a beard nor a clean shaven face for this one.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TaurusTorus posted:

A man was having a fairly intense phone conversation with his girlfriend in the bathroom. I had Taco Bell for lunch. I do not apologize.

My co-worker's dad called him yesterday because he'd lost his iPhone and needed help locating it.

After about five minutes of "OK, it should be rining,do you hear it? ... well the GPS says it's in your house." We wall just started shouting our own suggestions - "DAD DID YOU CHECK THE FRIDGE?!" "What bathroom do you poop in, have you checked your pooping station?"

Co-worker was mortified, but his dad seemed to get a kick out of it.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Did he at least call from a different phone than the one he claimed to have lost?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

Last department wide meeting, my hairless CFO declared that being unshaven to meet a c-level employee is equal to disrespect to a c-level person.

I've ensured I have neither a beard nor a clean shaven face for this one.

They want no beards at all (a classic religious discrimination lawsuit), or just no stubble so it's impossible to move from no-beard to beard?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cthulu Carl posted:

My co-worker's dad called him yesterday because he'd lost his iPhone and needed help locating it.

After about five minutes of "OK, it should be rining,do you hear it? ... well the GPS says it's in your house." We wall just started shouting our own suggestions - "DAD DID YOU CHECK THE FRIDGE?!" "What bathroom do you poop in, have you checked your pooping station?"

Lol dang. Once I was helping a relative try to locate a lost iPhone and because of a previous incident mentioned that it was good we had activated Find My iPhone, but they had outmaneuvered me by having run down the battery to 0% before it was lost. Never did locate it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I always joke about checking the fridge when I’ve lost something and I will be absolutely thrilled the day it actually comes true.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SerthVarnee posted:

Did he at least call from a different phone than the one he claimed to have lost?

Yeah, he was as apparently calling from his wife's phone.

His phone ended up being in his car that for some reason, he never bothered to check.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

goatface posted:

They want no beards at all (a classic religious discrimination lawsuit), or just no stubble so it's impossible to move from no-beard to beard?

They had some legal trouble last year because of the classic religious "no full facial hair" policy that had to slightly change so the hairless lizard people at the top have taken to informally scolding any man with more hair on their head. We sit in cubicles and touch spreadsheets.

Yes, the average age of my coworkers continues to creep up and nobody young wants to work here, why would you ask?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I always joke about checking the fridge when I’ve lost something and I will be absolutely thrilled the day it actually comes true.

I've done it more than once.

The experience of wasting 90 minutes tossing your apartment only to eventually give up and then later be revealed to be drunk/an idiot/too high on edibles is overrated. So is sifting through the garbage can now that I think about it.

You're not missing anything beyond the relief of finding the thing you lost.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Ask not for whom the bowel tolls...

ftfy

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

They had some legal trouble last year because of the classic religious "no full facial hair" policy that had to slightly change so the hairless lizard people at the top have taken to informally scolding any man with more hair on their head. We sit in cubicles and touch spreadsheets.

Yes, the average age of my coworkers continues to creep up and nobody young wants to work here, why would you ask?

The classic what now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Johnny Truant posted:

The classic what now

no full facial hair is an religiously discriminatory policy because certain religions (Sikhism comes to mind) require men to maintain full facial hair

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The COO had what seemed to be an impromptu meeting this morning with the two HR ladies, no doubt discussing my resignation yesterday. I could see some wild gesticulating on his part through the window. Word of my departure has begun to make the rounds. I have received equal parts lamentations and congratulations from a couple people so far. I treated myself to a breakfast burrito from Wawa on the way in.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lost phone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9kqhzQ-8Q

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Tomorrow I need to bottle and keg until the tank is cleared because coffee beans have been added and the clock is ticking. Gonna be a long day probably.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

no full facial hair is an religiously discriminatory policy because certain religions (Sikhism comes to mind) require men to maintain full facial hair

Oh okay I was reading that their workplace had a religious policy, lol

Still, get them to say some poo poo about facial hair in writing then I'm sure some salivating lawyer would help out

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

I like to think such a large portion of their days is with the ritual of Getting Made Up, they literally don't realize that not everyone else doesn't just sit around doing nothing with all the time in the world to groom.

Essentially, it's useless rich folks telling on themselves. If you had something to do, you'd be doing it. But you don't so you default to boredly policing and criticizing the folks around you regarding literally the only thing you know, which is how to look like a professional faker.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
You have to understand, when you're faking, looks and perception are literally the most important thing. They don't know how to turn it off. When you're a scammer who fools people with how you look, you get worried when legit people who are otherwise professional don't follow the look rules. You can't imagine a reality where the pro doesn't fit the conman profile. This is why Trump is the way he is.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Tomorrow I need to bottle and keg until the tank is cleared because coffee beans have been added and the clock is ticking. Gonna be a long day probably.

Are these the coffee beans it took serious wrangling to get smoked?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

StrangersInTheNight posted:

You have to understand, when you're faking, looks and perception are literally the most important thing. They don't know how to turn it off. When you're a scammer who fools people with how you look, you get worried when legit people who are otherwise professional don't follow the look rules. You can't imagine a reality where the pro doesn't fit the conman profile. This is why Trump is the way he is.

It's also part of the hard wired status game we all play and in group/out group dynamics.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

It can also have a racist component. For example: many African-Americans have problems with ingrown hairs on the face and neck. Clean shaving regularly exacerbates this and can lead to pretty gnarly infections. Depilatory creams may help, but they can gently caress up your skin, too.

It's cruel to make someone be in pain and be self conscious because of their skin's condition just to satisfy a stereotype of "well-groomed". "Whoops. You were born with the wrong hair. gently caress you! :)" Outside of safety concerns (long beards getting caught in machinery), neat and shaped is about as far as a company should go there, IMO.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MrQwerty posted:

This isn't work EXACTLY, but I once took a training course to get professional sailing qualifications. One of the other students was this British boomer who signed onto the course more or less as a lark and had no idea what he was doing, was deeply unpleasant, and frequently drunk. One time he was drunk and, in an attempt to be friendly and build camaraderie, he comes out with this gem:

"Y'know them Muslims? You know how they have that thing about how they're not supposed to shave? I reckon that's because they hadn't invented shaving back then."

Spot how many things there are wrong with that statement - there are so, so many!

The dude later flunked out of the program a week or so away from the final qualifying exam by throwing a gigantic screaming hissy-fit after he'd spent hours trying and failing to moor up to a buoy, before hiding in his cabin for the rest of the day, walking off without a word the moment we docked (which he didn't help with of course), and then only confirming that he'd withdrawn from the program two days later, presumably after getting rathouse drunk as he always did when under stress, which was all the time, because he was an idiot.

Note: He worked in telecoms. I know this because he would not shut up about it whenever he was drunk (again, which was all the time) and wanted people to think he was actually very smart.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

So was it in the pooping station? Perhaps he put it down to grab the poop knife.

Edit: oh. You already answered the question.

Thank you for posting this.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 16, 2023

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

withoutclass posted:

It's also part of the hard wired status game we all play and in group/out group dynamics.

This. I used to tell my students who were preparing to enter the business world that it's all about showing you know what the social rules are and how to follow them. You need to be able to act "professionally" and that changes based on the level you're at.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Got a genuine phishing email. Reported it. IT: "Yep it's spam. You can update your spam filters if you want."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

withoutclass posted:

Absolutely, the difference is that folks like that, being only inflated reputation with no substance to back it up, confuse the things they use to gain that status as the only real path to success, such that they bully actually competent people and workers for not following the rules of the game.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I got too far the opposite direction. Big customer had the president of the company get a virus, which used his computer as a spambot. I get this crappy looking thing claiming to be share point related, so I forwarded it to IT. IT said it’s spam, they’ll block the whole domain. You know, the one used by every person in the customer company. Hope we never need to talk to them again.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

FWIW nonresident aliens also don't need to pay into social security, so there is some internal consistency to this.

I'm sorry, but is this saying that people who are not US citizens and who do not live in the US don't pay US taxes?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Machai posted:

I'm sorry, but is this saying that people who are not US citizens and who do not live in the US don't pay US taxes?

Non-resident aliens working in the US don't have to pay into Social Security. The rest of the assessed taxes still apply.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Love to spend all day working on tickets that all follow the same process:

- IM user to see if their minor issue is still happening.
- Get immediate panicked reply that the issue is actually an extinction-level event.
- Reply back with instructions so I can remote in.
- Message shows as read, nothing happens in my remote access software, they never join the remote session.
- Hours later, user melts down in the notes of the ticket that no one is helping them.

:shrug: Guess it's actually not the last big of a deal then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Love to spend all day working on tickets that all follow the same process:

- IM user to see if their minor issue is still happening.
- Get immediate panicked reply that the issue is actually an extinction-level event.
- Reply back with instructions so I can remote in.
- Message shows as read, nothing happens in my remote access software, they never join the remote session.
- Hours later, user melts down in the notes of the ticket that no one is helping them.

:shrug: Guess it's actually not the last big of a deal then.

It always took me literally a few seconds to hit the share button for remote access or notice the link to the share app and I always apologized profusely. Now I don’t feel quite as bad. But I will still continue to apologize for making tech support wait cause they gots shot to do and at my level, are probably beholden to call centers numbers.