Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

My fuckin tv or receiver has poo poo the bed with less than 24 hours to go for Ishin I’m about to dive into the rats nest of cables and see if I can save it god help me

drat, that sucks man. The worst possible timing. Good luck in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My fuckin tv or receiver has poo poo the bed with less than 24 hours to go for Ishin I’m about to dive into the rats nest of cables and see if I can save it god help me

My TV poo poo the bed a few years back, and I ordered a "repair kit" for about $100 which was just a box of all the electronics. I replaced the power supply and it's been fine since.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How do you restart a game? I've been opening a different game and going back but surely there is a way to just restart the game?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Horizon 2 for free is pretty nice.

Yeah I'm stoked for that especially after reading everyone's thoughts on it in the goty thread.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

this happened to me too when our tv literally melted like the day before splatoon 3 came out. you got a monitor with an hdmi port as a backup? i had to do that for a while. it sucks but it sucks less than no videogames!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bioshuffle posted:

How do you restart a game? I've been opening a different game and going back but surely there is a way to just restart the game?

Press option on its dashboard icon and one of the choices is “close this game” or similar

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I tried the most advanced solution first which was of course to unplug everything, wait a minute, then plug it back in and now it’s all systems go.

Technology.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Use the PS Button to bring up your Home Screen. Scroll down to the submenu. Select the active software on that submenu and select "Close Game". Then click the game again and it'll reboot.

Maybe there's a more simple way, but this doesn't involve switching games/software.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lordfrikk posted:

$20 sounds good to me, I'll give it another chance then. Thanks Gaben for allowing me to rectify my worst mistakes within 2 hours.

I tried to refund dead space remake after the first five minutes and was surprised Sony basically says if you launched the game for a second eat poo poo no refunds.

Then I realized only gaben allows for such generosity. At least it worked out with DS:remake since I ended up really enjoying it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Use the PS Button to bring up your Home Screen. Scroll down to the submenu. Select the active software on that submenu and select "Close Game". Then click the game again and it'll reboot.

Maybe there's a more simple way, but this doesn't involve switching games/software.

You can also go back to the Home Screen and just hit option -> close game on the game you’re playing which is simpler imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I tried to refund dead space remake after the first five minutes and was surprised Sony basically says if you launched the game for a second eat poo poo no refunds.

Then I realized only gaben allows for such generosity. At least it worked out with DS:remake since I ended up really enjoying it.

You don’t even have to launch the game, their policy is if you even so much as downloaded it it’s tough poo poo.

It even tells you that when you buy it right before you blindly mash confirm because shut up terms and conditions give me my loving game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

You don’t even have to launch the game, their policy is if you even so much as downloaded it it’s tough poo poo.

It even tells you that when you buy it right before you blindly mash confirm because shut up terms and conditions give me my loving game.

Oh that’s right! gently caress where is the consumer protections for digital content? The standard price is now $70 before tax and demos are largely not a thing anymore.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gamefly still hasn't sent me Wanted: Dead (i guess the demand was too high) so I have given up on it and pushed Ishin to the top of the queue

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wanted: Apparently,

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nuts and Gum posted:

Oh that’s right! gently caress where is the consumer protections for digital content? The standard price is now $70 before tax and demos are largely not a thing anymore.

Really? I've played more demos in the last couple years or so than I did the previous five. I mean, they're not incredibly common but I'd say there's more of them these days (especially ones with carryover data, which are typically the only ones I play)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Demos do seem to be making a comeback over the last year or two but they’re still pretty rare

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Demos do seem to be making a comeback over the last year or two but they’re still pretty rare

Developers should be legally obligated to make demos.

Square’s still killing it in this regard. Octopath 2 demo just dropped last week. Though, honestly, the demo does very little to encourage me that the game is noticeably improved over the first. The biggest thing is the addition of day/night path actions which I think could be pretty cool and would probably allow for greater flexibility in who you choose to drag along with you.

Still pre ordered like a moron because of how narrowly the first game missed the mark.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

As long as they make the final boss that ties all the stories together actual main story content instead of hidden behind some stupid out of the way BS that 99% of the playerbase won't stumble into without a guide it'll be a marked improvement imo

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody got a PS5 beta invite code by chance?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How long between beta tester releases and normal rear end in a top hat releases? I want my discord buddies.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Davedave24 posted:

I know I owned Jumping Flash and it won't let me download that :mad:

Did you own it on PS3? Or have a subscription to ps plus extra that you now don’t have?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Steam only for refunds because the Australian government sued Valve for not having them and now we pay for that because Gabe won't give us the deck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nuts and Gum posted:

the first 5 mins was bad?

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I watched Limmy get stuck on chapter 0 of Dead Space Remake and bin it. So yeah the game is not for everyone lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mcmagic posted:

the first 5 mins was bad?

Not necessarily, I just momentarily decided I didn't want to be scared and regretting buying it. Then I realized I'm mother effing Isaac and I'm a plasma surgeon and the game started clicking again

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Hoffadoff posted:

It depends. I got wild arms 1 for free when they released it because I already owned that on the vita and ps3. The only other ps1 classic I own that they've released so far was the original resident evil but that can't be bought separately and can only be played if you have premium so I couldn't download that one. I own wild arms 2 and legend of dragoon already so I'm hoping they aren't gonna be just attached to the premium service and I can just download them for free too. Honestly I'd still buy em again for 5 or ten bux just so long as I don't have to upgrade to the premium tier.

Yeah the main thing is they just haven’t bothered to release most of the PS1 classics onto the PS4/5. I own Vagrant Story when I bought it on the PS3 but since it’s not available on the PS4 or 5, I have to fire up the PS3 to play it (legally). Also there are a few games that were made available on PS3 but not Vita. E.g. The PS1 classics release of Castlevania Chronicles can be played on the PS3 but not the Vita for some reason.

Not sure why they (and Nintendo) are so reluctant to re-release their back catalogs. There are some movies that barely even got a small DVD release and haven’t been made available digitally, but by and large movie studios seem to understand that releasing their back catalogs is basically free money, even if the sales on older films are not particularly large.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gort posted:

It's a shame, because I'd totally pay money to play a modern Fallout game co-op with some friends, but it seems that you can't do that without also opening yourself to a particularly lovely implementation of PVP

If you pay the monthly fee, you can get a private world. The sub also lets you circumvent a bunch of the game’s other major design annoyances. (Doubly lovely because when the game launched Bethesda pinky promised any mtx would be cosmetic only).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Corb3t posted:

Anybody got a PS5 beta invite code by chance?

For the firmware? Just sign up for it. I did and got in like 10 minutes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line is a Perfect Game

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fridge corn posted:

Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line is a Perfect Game

It’s my game of the year thus far, OP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Copped Last of Us part 1 remake and part 2 last night since they were both on sale. Part 1 I tried out on the trial and had fun so gonna finish that and never played part 2 so I’m glad to finally see what all the controversy was about. Discourse really stopped me from playing that second game

Sad to hear this. Game is legend.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
gently caress yeah, just beat Alecto. That was a hard fight. So aggressive, so strong. Quite a predictable move set, but literally one mistake can end the fight. Have enough of a buzz from beating her that now it's gonna be hard to go to sleep!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Copped Last of Us part 1 remake and part 2 last night since they were both on sale. Part 1 I tried out on the trial and had fun so gonna finish that and never played part 2 so I’m glad to finally see what all the controversy was about. Discourse really stopped me from playing that second game

I hadn’t played the first game and the discourse made me want to play 2, just because I thought if it’s making certain idiots this mad, I want to at least see what’s up. And it’s great! I like it a lot more than the first game.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

LoU 2 was amazing and is going to be up there on my goty list this year for sure. I never read any of the discourse about the game at release but after playing it I think I can guess how it went.
Game is 100% goated.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sad to hear this. Game is legend.

It happens and since this discourse really spread out everywhere I basically knew the spoilers and saw people stream on twitch just to see some of it. Its whatever though since I don't mind spoilers like that, and I kinda forgot many of them minus a few big beats. But if a spoiler ruins something, then imo it was never good to begin with.

imhotep posted:

I hadn’t played the first game and the discourse made me want to play 2, just because I thought if it’s making certain idiots this mad, I want to at least see what’s up. And it’s great! I like it a lot more than the first game.

You know whats crazy is that a similar thing happened the first time I played Part 1 on PS3 way back in 2014. Something about this series really brings out strong opinions and yeah I loved the first one so I definitely need to play 2 to see for myself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bovis posted:

LoU 2 was amazing and is going to be up there on my goty list this year for sure. I never read any of the discourse about the game at release but after playing it I think I can guess how it went.
Game is 100% goated.

I thought it was too long. The Abbey discourse was also not great.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The key to not getting mucked up by dumb internet discourse around good games is ignoring it when you start seeing boneheaded hot takes. Everything discourse-wise around TLOU2 was so hyperbolically stupid that it was especially easy to ignore and just play the game.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Abby is my favorite character, I thought her and Lev’s relationship was more interesting and endearing than Joel and Ellie’s in the first game. Playing part 1 when the remake came out I was surprised at how cold Joel is almost throughout the whole game, and I feel like they could’ve done more with the dialogue between the two. One part that stuck out to me was when Ellie sees a garden gnome and says she thinks gnomes are cute, but fairies creep her out, and Joel just says ‘Alright, then’. Like why, I don’t understand making him respond with the most boring possible thing, and I understand why he’s distant and cold, but stuff like that just confused me because they could’ve still written something good that makes Joel seem like he’s being cautious about getting too attached to Ellie, but some of the stuff they went with is just boring.

Compared to like any interaction between Abby and Lev, like this scene (which I replayed recently and it literally gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach, I hate heights).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFL3iIAl9Y

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 17, 2023

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This Harry Potter game is pace-wise and technically weird.

Like, you can pet the cats running around, but it kind of brings you into a cut scene to do it. But then when you are done petting the cat, the scene seamlessly transitions back to normal gameplay.

The menu has all of these presentation animations as you change between them, but it won't interrupt them most of the time. So if you want to look at the menu five options to the left, you might be stuck watching the book try to impress you for the four menus in between.

It feels kind of like early PC CD games where, if you had to access CD data instead of memory data, you were stuck on this slow path while the CD player did a seek for the information, and even if you did something that would cancel out that CD information, you were stuck anyway because you PC already allocated resources to the request so you were paused until it released them.

And most of the mechanics are fine, but have bloat or strange connection tissue. I don't really know the lore, but it seems like they put way more spells than needed into the game so the book readers wouldn't be mad that they excluded Freeze-o from the game.

There are even spells that only apply to a single room in the game, but you either have to reserve a spot on your spell wheel for those in place for more useful spells, or rearrange your spells every time you go into this special room.

When I first got to choose level up perks, I got to choose 10 at once even though I wasn't grinding. So that seems kind of off.

There's also a bunch of gear with mechanics that have not yet been revealed to the player, but you are given limited inventory. This results in me having to sell off gear without even really knowing what I'm selling or why. I could have sold the best gear in the game for 50 coins and not even known it because the full benefits of gear have not been revealed to me by the time I was forced to offload it.

Game is fun overall, but what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Worse cat petting than forspoken, got it