Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah it was just a lovely day because my bank refused to draw the check without my physical debit card. They disabled their NFC readers due to fraud (understandable, but still). I had it on my phone and could have easily sent a wire, but they wouldn't give me a check. It was an hour away so I asked my wife to get the check at 4:50pm at the local bank and didn't want to fuss with more problems, so had her get the exact amount they requested.

I read through all the purchase docs and it definitely shows them owing me a refund, and there's no arbitration clause so I think a judgement would be swift.

I'm usually pretty good about opting out of arbitration because I think its bullshit. Even for my washer/dryer they tried forcing it on me, but I went through their convoluted opt-out process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Disabling NFC readers due to fraud sounds like a very dumb “front line employee” type of reason that is not really true. NFC….. can’t really be used for fraud, at least I haven’t seen anything approaching normal credit card magnetic skimming in the USA.

I’m guessing whoever manages where you were at has not gone through the proper process with their point of sale vendor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just call the dealership and say "hey about that money you owe me, I have some time this week so I'm just going to show up and save you the hassle of mailing me the check. What day is good?"

Worked fine the last time I needed a refund on a deposit and they were being slow as poo poo to mail it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Disabling NFC readers due to fraud sounds ... very dumb

Strong agree

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Nitrox posted:

Anyone stupid enough to put their number online is getting thousands of spam messages, just send an email through the site.

Everyone is using Facebook marketplace now, craigslist is dead.

Just wanted to thank you all for mentioning Facebook marketplace. Of all my searching, I had not included Facebook. The selection blows Craigslist out of the water, and has a lot more third party rather than dealers.

Side Question - Is there a thread for funny, awful ads? Because some of these on Facebook have made me literally laugh.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yep: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718513

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Log posted:

Just wanted to thank you all for mentioning Facebook marketplace. Of all my searching, I had not included Facebook. The selection blows Craigslist out of the water, and has a lot more third party rather than dealers.

Side Question - Is there a thread for funny, awful ads? Because some of these on Facebook have made me literally laugh.

I think Craigslist started charging a fee for listing cars for sale and that kinda killed most of the activity on there.

Do Americans use Kijiji? Its another free advertising place for poo poo. Its pretty well known in Canada for that kinda of poo poo.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
RE: Mazda refund check. I reached out to the Finance and Sales guy yesterday, both ghosted me.

I put a bad Yelp review and they reached out with an email alias and I emailed them. The GM got back to me apologizing for the delay, they usually hold the checks for a couple of days because they offer 24 hour returns. He said there was an issue with their "postage machine" which magically was fixed today (doubt). I don't know why they couldn't have just slapped a stamp on it, but I digress. They will either overnight it to me via FedEx or hand deliver it to me tomorrow. I don't believe anything they say, so I'm not doing the survey until the last day. If I don't get it by then they're getting a 0.

He knows I didn't fill it out yet and asked me not to ding the sales rep because this is a back office issue, but the survey says to rate the entire experience. So if this GM's back office is intentionally holding back checks (which I suspect, as there are a few complaints online about their dealership doing that), that's his problem to resolve, not the sales rep's. I hear anything other than a 10 is basically "you've failed the customer, no bonus, and lower dealership allocation next quarter" so I'll wait for him to deliver.

It's not like its thousands of dollars. I don't get why these places have to pull poo poo like this, it's infuriating.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bank posted:

It's not like its thousands of dollars. I don't get why these places have to pull poo poo like this, it's infuriating.

There are enough people that won't deal with the hassle over a few hundred bucks. Free money for them when they can get away with it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Without having a local bank, what's the best way to get someone paid for their car? A cashiers check looks like my best option but I know those can be very risky for the seller due to how easy they are to forge. I feel like I've bought a car with showing up at the sellers credit union and essentially doing a cashiers check straight to them before but that was a while back and I can't remember specifics.

I asked a local credit union about starting an account with them and transferring the money but they said there'd be a week hold and then you can only get $3,000 a day out through them which is annoying as hell.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can transfer money from bank to bank for a modest fee, think it was $25 last time I did it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

You can transfer money from bank to bank for a modest fee, think it was $25 last time I did it.

Basically a wire transfer right?

Both our schedules are going to suck for this, the holiday weekend will just make it that much worse.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've done a cashier's check, both go to their bank to deposit and verify it's good and that's been enough in the past.

Other option is to plan ahead and get cash out over a few days.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Most immediate methods involve going with them to their bank like cashing the cashier's together, or seeing if their bank has other products they can use to get your money. Bank to bank ACH are nearly as limited as Zelle in my experience but either bank may offer enough of a limit to allow it.

One option that involves what products your own bank offers is wire transfer. These are very limited these days again but if you call your 'home' branch and ask they may allow to you authorize a wire by fax.

10 ton hammer is escrow which is going to cost a lot but let's you do it asynchronously.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Do you have a non-local credit union? There's a "shared branching" thing that some CUs participate in, where you can do transactions including cashier's checks for a slightly higher fee in a local branch. Last time I did this was $5 for a cashier's check instead of $2, but was otherwise very easy.

Long term, have a credit union account.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

heffray posted:

Do you have a non-local credit union? There's a "shared branching" thing that some CUs participate in, where you can do transactions including cashier's checks for a slightly higher fee in a local branch. Last time I did this was $5 for a cashier's check instead of $2, but was otherwise very easy.

Long term, have a credit union account.

Yeah, and that's an option for me if the seller is cool with it. It's just the absolute worst weekend possible to do anything along those lines as you won't be able to verify the check is legit until Tuesday because of the holiday and we were planning on meeting up on Sunday. This just turns into a scheduling issue for us because the seller works 70-80 hours a week, I have an abnormal work schedule, and we live a couple hours apart.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is a Goon Approved minivan? Wife is less concerned about stow and go or awd now, so that gives us more flexibility

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

What is a Goon Approved minivan? Wife is less concerned about stow and go or awd now, so that gives us more flexibility

Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, or Chrysler Pacifica. They seem to be similar in price and reliability/maintenance, so whichever you like best.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Really? A Chrysler product as reliable as Honda or Toyota?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Toyota, Honda, and way back in 3rd place is the Pacifica.

Depends on budget, what sort of trim level/features you want, things like that. I personally favor the Toyota.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Edmunds TCO estimations for 2019 models, cumulative 5-years Repair + Maintenance:
Toyota Sienna $7300
Chrysler Pacifica $7500
Honda Odyssey $8100

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

wesleywillis posted:

I won't say the Chrysler is as reliable, but it is a very nice space to exist in that children will trash as much as possible. We had enough tranny issues in ours that my wife couldn't handle keeping it, so we switched to the Sienna last year.

I am very glad I don't have to drive the Sienna everyday as it drives me crazy with a bunch of little things I hate about it. That said, it is nice not having the Sword of Damocles that is the Chrysler name hanging over us all the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Pacifica used to have a pretty hefty discount vs equivalent age and feature Japanese product. It’s not going to be as reliable but if you told me I could stick 8 grand in my pocket I would be tempted. It’s good product and 8 grand buys a lot of heavy repairs.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Add $5-7k to Sienna msrp for dealer shenanigans that you won’t be able to negotiate away.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Kia Carnival seems to have good reviews- I know Kia has a reputation but I heard they’ve been getting better. C/d?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

The Kia Carnival seems to have good reviews- I know Kia has a reputation but I heard they’ve been getting better. C/d?

They’re fine OP. Pricing has come up though so they’re just yet another entrant in the market segment and will probably be reasonably competitive. But you usually won’t save much money buying a Korean make vs. another anymore.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You are still going to spend more money buying a Honda/Toyota, simply because of availability and dealer markup. Pacificas are available today and for less. Do look around, it's a different story around the country, and in some places there are deals to be had

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I was set on a Pacifca hybrid but they sell as soon as they hit the lot and at msrp so scratch that idea.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

I was set on a Pacifca hybrid but they sell as soon as they hit the lot and at msrp so scratch that idea.

There's nothing wrong with paying MSRP "in this market." It sucks, but it is what it is. If you can wait, I hear chip supply has been picking up and we should see more cars in the summer.

When I was looking last month, I was ready to pay MSRP for a car if they had it available on the lot.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wife now likes the look of the Nissan Rogue

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

Do not understand this post. Are you like, saying that you strongly prefer cars that most consumers do not want?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

It's not a very good minivan

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How is it as an SUV?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

:sever:

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. We ended up getting a 2014 Highlander and we love it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Professor Shark posted:

How is it as an SUV?

What are your needs?

It's a small SUV, comparable in size to a rav4 or CRV. It is not even in the same ballpark for usability and space as a minivan. And that's without getting into Nissan's reputation.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Inner Light posted:

Do not understand this post. Are you like, saying that you strongly prefer cars that most consumers do not want?

People can like different things at different price points.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

People can like different things at different price points.

Sure, and a preference disliking vehicles that sell quickly for MSRP when they hit the lot was a head scratcher of a preference that prompted a reply to it. It almost came off like overly focusing on the negatives. What are you even looking for at that point? It sounds like you are expressing that you are frustrated you cannot find a vehicle in a highly irrational market position where it is both deeply discounted and freely available at any dealer, but also a capable and desirable hybrid minivan.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 19, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

incogneato posted:

And that's without getting into Nissan's reputation.

In short, what is Nissan's reputation?