Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

haveblue posted:

My assumption is that the traveler does not survive this year. Jury's still out on whether the witness will

Edit: Trying to make a lovely joke on a phone sucks :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I assume this is going to be like $20 worth of Silver

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah it's kinda weird to think about who the Campaign Boss and who the Raid Boss will be for Final Shape. Typically the Raid takes place after the campaign, so the TFS Raid is going to be the final big boss kill of the light & darkness saga.

Everybody plays the Campaign so they have to make the final big boss of the Campaign somebody relevant, like witness, calus, Nezarec etc. It's gotta 'matter'

They typically make the raid boss a no-name mook so that casuals won't be upset by the hanging storylines if they never raid. But if the raid is the final big fight of this SKU, it has to be something that matters as well

They've got their work cut out for 'em! Fans will screech bloody murder if they have to r-r-r-RAID :qq: to finally kill the Witness but it'll be equally stupid if the final raid boss of this game is Random Dude #69 that we only learn about post-mortem when we read the raid gear lore tabs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously the solution is that TFS introduces raid matchmaking

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah that makes me think they really botched their phrasing for Less Total Weapons Will Be Crafted. They're just saying not to expect Ammit, Taipan, Fixed Odds & Epicurean next year?

I think Raid Reprisal Weapons means that in Season 22 when we get Crota/Leviathan or whatever, those guns will be craftable.

I can't remember if it's Season 20 or Season 21 that we get Vault of Glass(?) weapons as Craftables, but Season 21 will also be a New Dungeon
Yeah, I figured reprised raid means the mid-year returning raid. Just was reading too deep on specifying "reprised raid" rather then "raid weapons"

I guess it does seem to be a very clear confirmation that dungeon weapons will not be craftable. I sort of forgot about the raid-refreshes - I dont think they confirmed anything about the pacing of them, we're just all assuming they'll be in 21 and 23 to be in the dungeon/non-raid seasons.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They've got their work cut out for 'em! Fans will screech bloody murder if they have to r-r-r-RAID :qq: to finally kill the Witness but it'll be equally stupid if the final raid boss of this game is Random Dude #69 that we only learn about post-mortem when we read the raid gear lore tabs
Counterpoint: Rhulk was a cool as hell boss, and it'd be just as funny for other half of reddit to get super mad the casuals can punch the witness to death in the campaign.

Alternatively, you could have a campaign defeat, and then like "oh no his echo is going to do untold damage if noone stops it" and so you get to basically fight the Witness twice with two totally different encounters. Then there can be a post raid mission with the aftermath or something.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 16, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it's kinda weird to think about who the Campaign Boss and who the Raid Boss will be for Final Shape. Typically the Raid takes place after the campaign, so the TFS Raid is going to be the final big boss kill of the light & darkness saga.

Everybody plays the Campaign so they have to make the final big boss of the Campaign somebody relevant, like witness, calus, Nezarec etc. It's gotta 'matter'

They typically make the raid boss a no-name mook so that casuals won't be upset by the hanging storylines if they never raid. But if the raid is the final big fight of this SKU, it has to be something that matters as well

You go the Taken King route where you kill the Witness in the campaign, then super kill him for real harder in the Raid

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kill the witness for the campaign, kill the corrupted Traveler for raid.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SgtSteel91 posted:

You go the Taken King route where you kill the Witness in the campaign, then super kill him for real harder in the Raid

This was actually what I was thinking about in terms of 'they've got their work cut out for them' because casual gamers were furious about this. Non-raiders felt that they couldn't finish the Taken King story.

All the work they're putting in to LFG and Guardian Ranks makes me think they're gonna go for it, though, and have the TFS Raid be the great big grand finale

(Semi-related - the Witness looks funny as hell traveling through space. Like, homeboy doesn't use a ship. He's just out there Wonder Womaning through the cosmos)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIJt1ebkaC8

Tassi doubling down on the "I swear its good despite me sounding like I loving hate it" vibe

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

“I swear it’s good despite me sounding like I loving hate it” is literally everyone that loves Destiny, including myself and everyone that posts here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Destiny 2 Lightfall - I swear it’s good despite me sounding like I loving hate it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bungie should pull an ID software and make players kill the witness by pulling two switches like the first boss in Quake 1. And then it falls into a lava pit. No loot.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bruhhhhh just say if there's gonna be new raids and campaigns and exotics and poo poo for Year 8+

Billion dollar franchise buddy. They're not stopping. Destiny is a money printer and raids, campaigns, and exotics sell. Why would they stop making all the money they are making?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Bungie should pull an ID software and make players kill the witness by pulling two switches like the first boss in Quake 1. And then it falls into a lava pit. No loot.

Three switches, to turn on fuel, oxidizer and uh power or ventilation I can't remember which, as we fight the Witness in the rocket exhaust pit under the colony ship launch pad in the cosmodrome. Light that sucker off and scorch the Witness. We end where we began.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

(Semi-related - the Witness looks funny as hell traveling through space. Like, homeboy doesn't use a ship. He's just out there Wonder Womaning through the cosmos)

I hope the witness is wearing pants under that robe skirt thing because it was certainly billowing a lot in flight.

Important to dress respectability while doing your space genocides.

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

Roctavian posted:

wacky sword alert

It's the sword from goa with a different shader. From what they showed in addition to that the rest of the season of the defiance weapons are reskins of season of the lost gear.

Literally no new legendary weapon models coming with Lightfall lmao

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The raid/story thing is a solved problem in other mmos, but those actually have pubbie-accessible raid difficulties to do it. Seems like a no brainer to have an baby mode thing for people who want to see the story or kill the big bosses :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It turns out the only way to defeat the Witness once and for all is to eliminate paracausality from the universe. Your guardian bravely sacrifices themselves and is permanently deleted. After every player has done this the game shuts down and plays a trailer for Matter

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Destiny 2 Lightfall - I swear it’s good despite me sounding like I loving hate it.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RocketRaygun posted:

Billion dollar franchise buddy. They're not stopping. Destiny is a money printer and raids, campaigns, and exotics sell. Why would they stop making all the money they are making?

Yeah. And honestly? I pray for this emotional prison to close

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I hope the witness is wearing pants under that robe skirt thing because it was certainly billowing a lot in flight.

Important to dress respectability while doing your space genocides.

Look at this coward that doesn't want to see the Witness' junk

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So my quest to grind out all the season redframes before Lightfall has hit a bump, namely that I spent several days not getting some of the guaranteed red-borders from vendors lol.

What are the drop rates for deepsight weapons from the focused engrams? It's 1 in 4, right? If I don't have a majority of the patterns for a vendor complete, does that make it a better use of energy to get random weapons instead of trying to focus one specific one (after I get my daily one, of course)?

Also, the Haunted weapons - do those only drop from Sever runs? It feels like I haven't gotten them from Nightmare Containment. Alternatively, maybe the question is, will Sever runs not drop Opulent weapons? I have all the Opulent patterns acquired, so if there's a way to avoid getting those, that helps me out quite a bit.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Look at this coward that doesn't want to see the Witness' junk

"Witness me!"

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

death cob for cutie posted:

Also, the Haunted weapons - do those only drop from Sever runs? It feels like I haven't gotten them from Nightmare Containment. Alternatively, maybe the question is, will Sever runs not drop Opulent weapons? I have all the Opulent patterns acquired, so if there's a way to avoid getting those, that helps me out quite a bit.

Haunted guns can drop from nightmarecons or severs, but opulent guns only come from the key chests iirc

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

haveblue posted:

It turns out the only way to defeat the Witness once and for all is to eliminate paracausality from the universe. Your guardian bravely sacrifices themselves and is permanently deleted. After every player has done this the game shuts down and plays a trailer for Matter

Only way I’m deleting my characters is if Yoko Taro calls me on the phone personally and tells me I have to do it if I want to see the true secret ending of Destiny.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

I think you're interpreting 'the end of Destiny 2' with 'the franchise being taken out back and shot'

The franchise can continue without Destiny 2 continuing. It's fairly clear that TFS marks the end of active content development for the Destiny 2 title. Wherever Bungie takes the franchise after TFS, we're certainly not taking our characters & our vaults with us!

And to your point, it's a $3.6B company, not a $3.6B video game title. Sony didn't throw down a bag to own a 5-year old, last-gen, multi-platform video game title. It's up for debate what of value they actually purchased, but one thing that's not up for debate is what areas of Bungie are expanding (Destiny 'Universe', Bungie Unannounced Projects 1 & 2) and what areas of Bungie are contracting (Destiny 2 development). None of this is 'bad' and none of this means Destiny is dead, just that they're moving on to new things! Which is good. As a fan, I'm excited to see them liberated from the Destiny 2 design constraints and take this world somewhere new

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I don't see them scrapping Destiny 2 after TFS. I feel like they would have made a move in that direction before Beyond Light - instead of vaulting so much content, they could have just moved to another game.

Or if they do, it won't be a thing like Destiny 3, it'll be like, Destiny 2 But No Content From Before The Final Shape - whilst this version of the game is Destiny 2 Legacy or something.

I'm also very confused on how anything has been earmarking the end of active Destiny 2 development?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the end of active content development will likely be around the time Marathon 4 or whatever launches as another live service product.

That's probably 2-3 years away so just enjoy the ride til then. Hug your favorite guns and ornaments.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah there's a 0% chance of a Destiny 3. Bungie is looking to evolve past a single-franchise, iterative game developer. And of course D2 servers won't go dark for many many many years, since they're putting all this effort into making it self-sustaining with TFS

I wouldn't expect a game with a number in its title any time soon from them. If our next journey into this universe is a video game it might not even have Destiny in its name

It's frustrating that they can't/won't say anything about their other irons in the fire until closer to TFS, but I guess they don't want to... give spoilers? Reduce its hype??

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DancingShade posted:

Yeah the end of active content development will likely be around the time Marathon 4 or whatever launches as another live service product.

That's probably 2-3 years away so just enjoy the ride til then. Hug your favorite guns and ornaments.

Their non Destiny game will be released in 2024. It's not a competitor for D2 and you won't have to stop hugging your guns or ornaments!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think you're interpreting 'the end of Destiny 2' with 'the franchise being taken out back and shot'

The franchise can continue without Destiny 2 continuing. It's fairly clear that TFS marks the end of active content development for the Destiny 2 title. Wherever Bungie takes the franchise after TFS, we're certainly not taking our characters & our vaults with us!

And to your point, it's a $3.6B company, not a $3.6B video game title. Sony didn't throw down a bag to own a 5-year old, last-gen, multi-platform video game title. It's up for debate what of value they actually purchased, but one thing that's not up for debate is what areas of Bungie are expanding (Destiny 'Universe', Bungie Unannounced Projects 1 & 2) and what areas of Bungie are contracting (Destiny 2 development). None of this is 'bad' and none of this means Destiny is dead, just that they're moving on to new things! Which is good. As a fan, I'm excited to see them liberated from the Destiny 2 design constraints and take this world somewhere new

I simply don't agree that "its fairly clear TFS marks the end of active content development" given how many times they've said "TFS is the end of the light and dark saga" and have either said, or more-or-less said, things will come after.

They just haven't gone and announced the next 3 expansions. I really doubt they're putting a ton of effort into revamping a whole bunch of core system if the plan is to halt all major content development a year from now. Why would they bother being like "oh hey we're going to try doing seasons better/different" rather then just poo poo out 4 more seasons that follow this past year's format?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I simply don't agree that "its fairly clear TFS marks the end of active content development" given how many times they've said "TFS is the end of the light and dark saga" and have either said, or more-or-less said, things will come after.

They just haven't gone and announced the next 3 expansions. I really doubt they're putting a ton of effort into revamping a whole bunch of core system if the plan is to halt all major content development a year from now. Why would they bother being like "oh hey we're going to try doing seasons better/different" rather then just poo poo out 4 more seasons that follow this past year's format?

Interestingly, a lot of people took the message of "we want seasons to be focused less on new content and more on existing core playlists" to suggest the opposite!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's fairly clear that TFS marks the end of active content development for the Destiny 2 title.

you keep saying this despite constantly being given evidence to the contrary and i'm not sure why

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Campaign will be Calus, he'll have a dying change of heart and give us what we need to (an aspect of) the Witness in the raid.
Then we'll get the end cutscene of them scheming/laughing, followed by a loud rear end trumpet blare and a "See you next time Space Wizard..."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've made my case, some agree, others have made their own arguments, it's all good & at some point before too terribly long it won't even be up for debate anymore.

In the meantime we can wonder why homeboy was rocking the Apex Predator in the ViDoc

Some are taking this to mean LW is the raid getting the crafting update. My hope is it's either a red herring or they're just using its model for a Defiance gun (like how Wolftone is copy/pasted for the new seasonal bow)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah I don't think I agree with the idea the game is almost at the end of it's life cycle. It's pretty clear there is intended to be content beyond The Final Shape.

If they were going to stop active development on Destiny 2 they wouldn't be wasting their time adding so many features and backend content. The fact they're reprising stuff in the game is just something the Warcraft developers have started to figure out now. The game has a tremendous amount of content and they're killing themselves making tons of new stuff that would go away and be irrelevant when they could just spruce up and put in old stuff at significantly less development cost much faster.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i hope that LW doesn't get crafting patterns because i don't care in the least about any of its guns

its origin trait would have to be loving incredible to get my attention

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Per some posted then deleted art people think the raid boss is Xivu Arath .

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Speaking as someone who made the jump from "too antisocial to do more than an occasional dungeon" in the first few years of D2 to "complete degenerate with a full set of raid exotics", the final boss of a yearly expansion pack's campaign still deserves to be the more prestigious position. Imagine how disappointing the Witch Queen finale would have been if we were rewarded with a "the princess is in another castle" cutscene.

Now, I do think that Bungie should work on improving raid accessibility, and if they split a campaign finale into both a casual story mode and a fully fleshed out raid encounter, that would also work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

^burtle posted:

Per some posted then deleted art people think the raid boss is Xivu Arath .

Final fight will be a tag team ladder match.
Us and one of the Vanguard, vs Xivu Arath and Witness.
Custody papers for the Traveler will be in the briefcase.