Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It didn't sound like the thing over Alaska only weighed 6 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
an utterly deranged country pearl clutching over the danger of balloons that no one rightfully gave a poo poo about until three weeks ago

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

an utterly deranged country pearl clutching over the danger of balloons that no one rightfully gave a poo poo about until three weeks ago

Handy distraction from, say, trains derailing and spreading nasty poo poo all over the place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is a vast gulf between weighing less than six pounds and the fourteen‐storey balloon grossing thirty thousand pounds.

It’s not unreasonable that objects that differ in size by a factor of five thousand should be treated differently.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if the balloon weighed more than 0 pounds it wouldn't be 40000 feet in the air, idiots :smug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s ironic is that calculation involved conversion from the little‐known U.S. customary unit of mass, the slug.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I certainly don't think scrambling alert fighters to pop these party balloons with delusions of grandeur is the appropriate course of action, to be clear. I do think that there maybe should be some additional introspection done by these clubs wrt being good neighbors in the sky.

Other balloon users, like actual researchers and meteorologists, do file flight plans and don't regularly drift around at the same height as air traffic.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mappo posted:

Senator John Fetterman has checked into Walter Reed Hospital for Clinical Depression.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/16/1157570381/john-fetterman-treatment-clinical-depression-health-pennsylvania-senator

Good on him for getting help.

That takes a lot to make the decision. Having worked at both for profit and state psychiatric hospitals, I would feel that Walter Reed is probably one of the best places in America to get acute psych care

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
dudes would rather run for senate than get counselling.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rare footage of a helicopter NOT killing someone

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyclone-gabrielle-elderly-man-rescued-from-rooftop-in-hawkes-bay/YNZG2HJEJRCWFGXUYCLWK7U3MM/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Seriously - poo poo is real bad.

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/cyclone-gabrielle-community-support

Donate if you can.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Nick Soapdish posted:

That takes a lot to make the decision. Having worked at both for profit and state psychiatric hospitals, I would feel that Walter Reed is probably one of the best places in America to get acute psych care

Let's not forget 2007 era Walter Reed. No idea what it's like now though. Good for him taking the initiative, that takes guts. Gonna have to stay away from right wing talking points about it unless I just want to get mad at a bunch of douchebags.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I lost a lot of poo poo in Katrina. Done brother

That Works fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 17, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wombot posted:

Yeah, this seems like a bad idea for a hobby? This community is using a set of calculations to figure out how much helium to put in a standard mylar party balloon, but those envelopes can't handle more than 30k feet altitude. There are some low-cost (tens of dollars) envelopes that can handle higher, as well, but still 40k feet or thereabouts. So you have a community of people who looked at the FAA regs and saw the rules only apply to things weighing more than 6lbs and decided, "We're fine! Launch 'em if you got 'em!" right into the airspace used for commercial aviation.

Hobbyists obeying the FAA rules is pretty normal. The FAA regs are built roughly around the weight of a large bird, and there are a lot more birds out there than hobbyist balloons.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

Graham is a completely spineless shapeshifter with no principles but he's not a fool

According to people I work with, he's a RINO

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

lmao

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wombot posted:

Yeah, this seems like a bad idea for a hobby? This community is using a set of calculations to figure out how much helium to put in a standard mylar party balloon, but those envelopes can't handle more than 30k feet altitude. There are some low-cost (tens of dollars) envelopes that can handle higher, as well, but still 40k feet or thereabouts. So you have a community of people who looked at the FAA regs and saw the rules only apply to things weighing more than 6lbs and decided, "We're fine! Launch 'em if you got 'em!" right into the airspace used for commercial aviation.

It has literally never been a problem before, specifically exempted by the regulations, and is only now being noticed by other people because everyone's looking for a distraction. It's not really on them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

yeah most of the time but fortunately his constituency has been trained to have the memory of a goldfish so as long as he rims trump and screams at supreme court hearings for the three months before his primary it's all good

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Godholio posted:

Nice to see purity testing eat up groups other than leftist movements for once.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Hobbyists obeying the FAA rules is pretty normal. The FAA regs are built roughly around the weight of a large bird, and there are a lot more birds out there than hobbyist balloons.

I'm actually curious about that because birds will gently caress up an airliner. If you hit a metal payload at altitude and speed, is that encompassed in the tests that manufacturers perform? Is a 6lb balloon payload better or worse than a frozen chicken fired out of a potato cannon?

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah most of the time but fortunately his constituency has been trained to have the memory of a goldfish so as long as he rims trump and screams at supreme court hearings for the three months before his primary it's all good

He is an SC senator, he will be kept in office as long as he has a pulse and possibly afterward.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wombot posted:

I'm actually curious about that because birds will gently caress up an airliner. If you hit a metal payload at altitude and speed, is that encompassed in the tests that manufacturers perform? Is a 6lb balloon payload better or worse than a frozen chicken fired out of a potato cannon?

Archival Test Footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmQ6iN8hKM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Small birds are no longer a major issue, most engines are supposed to be able to tolerate anything up to slightly smaller than a goose. A small balloon and a ~6lb object shouldn't be a huge deal.

But I suspect the FAA still wouldn't smile on people just releasing balloons into airspace

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

But I suspect the FAA still wouldn't smile on people just releasing balloons into airspace

Depending on class, it's fine. You're not allowed to just release a 6 pound payload balloon at the end of the runway, though. And you aren't supposed to operate them at night without light markings. And supposed to release them when there's good visibility.

This kind of thing can be done without notification:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvdi8QoJNoc

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

Small birds are no longer a major issue, most engines are supposed to be able to tolerate anything up to slightly smaller than a goose. A small balloon and a ~6lb object shouldn't be a huge deal.

Bird brain and bone is fairly squishy at the energies involved in the slice and dice of first stage turbofans, and the geometry is optimized so that the bird goes through the bypass and not the power stage.

Man made objects tend to be a lot more aluminum than water by mass, and that is substantially more an issue to that first row of blades and beyond.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Wombot posted:

CainFortea posted:

It has literally never been a problem before, specifically exempted by the regulations, and is only now being noticed by other people because everyone's looking for a distraction. It's not really on them

I think that regular, boring, standard child-issue helium balloons account for at least 1 pitot probe or AOA sensor/year. Since both sensors are duplicated, not a big deal.

As long as no one does something stupid like, say, wire an automatic trim function to one and only AOA sensor and then doesn't tell the pilots about it. But no-one would be stupid or evil enough to do that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

While the photos are bad, if you consult the map here you'll realize just how bad - there is one road in and out of this whole area.

Apparently 3km of new Fibre had to be relaid in one place alone.

I picked up my gf's uncle who was in the area and he was still in shock. 6ft of silt in some areas. No power, water, or cell anywhere. Most cars are hosed due to flooding, so people are completely cut off. They've got whatever water is in their tanks and whatever gas-powered cooking gear and that's it.

Gisborne, a town of 40k people, just had its water treatment fail. 40k with no water.

But then there's good news, like this guy who broke into a school to seek higher ground and save the lives of 60 dogs:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/131263577/cyclone-gabrielle-breeder-gets-60-dogs-to-safety-on-top-of-desks-at-floodhit-school

I cannot stress enough how loving awful this is.

If you can spare a few dollars, please send an envelope to Happy Dude
https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/cyclone-gabrielle-community-support
Use this link.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

What’s ironic is that calculation involved conversion from the little‐known U.S. customary unit of mass, the slug.

I was never sure how you were supposed to shoot an air slug with a torpedo; maybe it's for after they descend?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arrath posted:

Nice to see purity testing eat up groups other than leftist movements for once.

Yeah, but the ones on the right will get in line behind whomever, when the time comes. The left sticks to their guns and will shoot themselves to spite their not-allied-enough neighbors.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1626331112824881153

Not Santos but a new one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol this internet age is wild.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ahahaha I have a buddy who’s an economist living in his district, time to give him poo poo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

golden bubble posted:

Not Santos but a new one.

60% of McCarthy's majority are straight biographical bullshitters. Santos, Luna, and now this dude.

Meanwhile, I've been pissed off about NYT's trans-coverage, as they've basically been treating any transperson as an "advocate" which means the NYT has taken the viewpoint of "hmm, maybe bathroom banners and murderers are on to something, who is to say???" Primarily editorial NYT, but it's still poo poo that's so factually wrong it shouldn't even be in there.

So thankfully, The Onion can still uncork a good one. This more or less is written in the NYT's viewpoint.

https://twitter.com/Atrios/status/1626631724959510530?t=OIRUpnUHdxgCyEkiMFUyag&s=19

https://www.theonion.com/it-is-jour...source=facebook

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 17, 2023

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

60% of McCarthy's majority are straight biographical bullshitters. Santos, Luna, and now this dude.

Meanwhile, I've been pissed off about NYT's trans-coverage, as they've basically been treating any transperson as an "advocate" which means the NYT has taken the viewpoint of "hmm, maybe bathroom banners and murderers are on to something, who is to say???" Primarily editorial NYT, but it's still poo poo that's so factually wrong it shouldn't even be in there.

So thankfully, The Onion can still uncork a good one. This more or less is written in the NYT's viewpoint.

https://twitter.com/Atrios/status/1626631724959510530?t=OIRUpnUHdxgCyEkiMFUyag&s=19

https://www.theonion.com/it-is-jour...source=facebook

God drat that Onion article knocks it out of the park.

quote:

Much of the recent debate concerns medical procedures, particularly in children, and whether things like hormone replacement therapy or gender-affirming surgeries are safe and appropriate. Indeed, there are critical questions to be asked about the social complexities of gender, as well as medical ethics in a profit-driven healthcare system. We are simply not interested in any of that. Instead, we will use flawed data and spurious logic to repeatedly write the same hand-wringing arguments asking whether there are suddenly too many trans people around. Journalistic integrity demands nothing less.

quote:

Research shows that trans people are over four times more likely than cisgender people to be the victim of a violent crime. We salute our colleagues across the media who are working tirelessly to make that number even higher.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Too depressing to be funny, though certainly accurate. I guess that's pretty much what they're mostly known for these days though

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Have they stopped they're whole "no way to prevent this" gimmick? Since it would mean never posting anything else ever again? Since we've had more mass shootings this year than we've had... days... this year.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Since we've had more mass shootings this year than we've had... days... this year.

God, I hate it here.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Have they stopped they're whole "no way to prevent this" gimmick? Since it would mean never posting anything else ever again? Since we've had more mass shootings this year than we've had... days... this year.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1850112060

Happy Valentine's day! :h:

They have done it three times this year so far, with the previous two being january 23 and then again the literal day after

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Kith posted:

God, I hate it here.

Something's so wrong with this place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sure the "no way to prevent this" gimmick sucks but it's a really, really clean mirror of reality. It shows exactly how much a society that can shrug off entire classes of kindergarteners decorating classroom walls with their brains also sucks. It all sucks and it's not going to get fixed, so what else is there really to do but scream in to that void?