Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rolleyes posted:

One more reason to continue to ignore Ken Rockwell sounds good to me.

Re. the Q2, goddamn that's both a nice looking camera and hilariously out of reach for most people (myself included).

On Fuji usability, yeah I kinda agree. I used to shoot Canon, now I shoot Fuji. The gap between Canon's intuitive menus and Fuji's "put everything in a massive list" approach is about the same as the gap from Fuji to Canon sensors, just in the opposite direction.

Yes they give you a myriad of ways to customize it but that's part of the problem; there's at least 3 different ways to customize the drat things (presets, Q-menu (which itself can be customized) and My Menu).

Don't get me wrong I enjoy using it and have no regrets about selling the Canon, but I'm strictly doing this as a hobby and mostly do landscapes so I'm rarely in a hurry.

The thing I like about fuji though is that I never actually need to look at the menus ever. Once I got the buttons set up, there's rarely a reason to go menu diving. I can't think of one offhand. Everything I need or want to adjust is done with the physical controls. Mine's an xh-1 though, so it's got all the knobs and buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Walked posted:

fwiw; I've had this happen 100% of the times I've sent to KEH
and 0% of the times I've sent to MPB (in fact, twice they've upgraded my ratings)

YMMV; but for selling (And frankly, most of my buying) I've moved to MPB and been really pleased

Thanks. I'm gonna tell KEH to send my poo poo back and just sell it myself, the initial appraisal was borderline but acceptable, but I'm not gonna tolerate another 300 taken off that.

Not too smart for business because now they lost a sale on a $2,800 Leica that I was going to buy from them. You would think that they saw I had a hold on it and would put that into consideration.....Just dumb really.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thanks. I'm gonna tell KEH to send my poo poo back and just sell it myself, the initial appraisal was borderline but acceptable, but I'm not gonna tolerate another 300 taken off that.

Not too smart for business because now they lost a sale on a $2,800 Leica that I was going to buy from them. You would think that they saw I had a hold on it and would put that into consideration.....Just dumb really.
they probably made the calculus that you were MORE likely to settle with them since you had an expensive camera on hold

good for you, though

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

I bought a used Q2 monochom recently and quite enjoy using it.

Feels like the camera gets out the way and you can just take pictures, as stupid as that sounds. The lens is nice, i like the focal length on it and the B&W pictures look nicer to me than color converted to B&W. I dunno, might be convincing myself to justify the money spent.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Leempi posted:

I bought a used Q2 monochom recently and quite enjoy using it.

Feels like the camera gets out the way and you can just take pictures, as stupid as that sounds. The lens is nice, i like the focal length on it and the B&W pictures look nicer to me than color converted to B&W. I dunno, might be convincing myself to justify the money spent.

I’ve been playing with one this week (Q2 Mono). Agree on all your points. It might be my favorite camera I’ve used.

Re: the quality of B&W photos that come out of it. I think the closest objective comparison would be to compare it with B&W converted photos from a Q2.

I’ve been comparing it a bunch with my other cameras and I think it does do a better job in the shooting scenarios I spend most of my time in - indoor lighting with family as my main subject. I’m gonna try to get out this week if it’s sunny and see if I can compare the better lighting scenarios.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Post the pics! I can't wait to try one.

Had to call KEH because of course there was no other option besides "accept offer" in the email lol. They didn't even ask why, must be people refuse a lot.

Found another Q for sale at MPB for $600 cheaper, not excellent condition but I don't care as long as it works! And I can make probably over a grand selling my gear myself so it should all work out for the better anyway. Maybe i'll try selling it here in the sell thread.

Mint condition X100 if anyone is interested.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

I just posted some snaps in the landscape thread.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Love seeing people get into the Q2M. :getin:

A tip (not that anyone asked) for doing quick shots, especially indoors: If you let parts of it run on auto, you’ll find that by default it’s comically reluctant to raise the ISO and will go down to some atrociously slow shutter speeds instead. That’s fine for a landscape or something, but if you’re trying to get a pic of your cat, forget about it.

I recommend going into the auto ISO settings and speeding up the minimum shutter, while uncorking the max ISO. I keep it at 100,000 with the shutter at 1/(4f) (though I usually set that manually). Obviously you don’t have to go that crazy if you don’t want all the noise, but I think it looks cool.

In general, it’s laid out in a way that makes manual shooting really easy and fun, but when chasing your kids and pets around the house, it’s possible to make the auto settings a little more spicy.

This is probably all very obvious to most people, but it took me way too long to figure this out, and I had a ton of blurry shots at first.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 8, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My new to me Leica Q is officially ordered from MPB, can't wait!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I set my D750 to manual + auto ISO a lot of the time, with modern(ish) sensors, pushing the ISO isn't really a problem.

Question about that though, I'm still looking at a smaller APS-C mirrorless (a6000/a6300), can you do Manual + Auto ISO with those cameras?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wibla posted:

I set my D750 to manual + auto ISO a lot of the time, with modern(ish) sensors, pushing the ISO isn't really a problem.

Question about that though, I'm still looking at a smaller APS-C mirrorless (a6000/a6300), can you do Manual + Auto ISO with those cameras?

Yes.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Shart Carbuncle posted:

A tip (not that anyone asked) for doing quick shots, especially indoors: If you let parts of it run on auto, you’ll find that by default it’s comically reluctant to raise the ISO and will go down to some atrociously slow shutter speeds instead. That’s fine for a landscape or something, but if you’re trying to get a pic of your cat, forget about it.

I recommend going into the auto ISO settings and speeding up the minimum shutter, while uncorking the max ISO. I keep it at 100,000 with the shutter at 1/(4f) (though I usually set that manually). Obviously you don’t have to go that crazy if you don’t want all the noise, but I think it looks cool.

In general, it’s laid out in a way that makes manual shooting really easy and fun, but when chasing your kids and pets around the house, it’s possible to make the auto settings a little more spicy.

This is probably all very obvious to most people, but it took me way too long to figure this out, and I had a ton of blurry shots at first.

These are good words and I figured that out organically yesterday. Couldn’t get a sharp shot for the first half hour. Started reviewing the exposures and realized everything was shooting at 1/30-1/15 or something.

Now I’ve got “indoor slow” and “indoor fast” profiles where the only diff is the min shutter speed is 1/125 with AFs for the “slow” profile. Fast is like 1/250 and AFc which works well enough for kids chasing dogs.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

The thing I like about fuji though is that I never actually need to look at the menus ever. Once I got the buttons set up, there's rarely a reason to go menu diving. I can't think of one offhand. Everything I need or want to adjust is done with the physical controls. Mine's an xh-1 though, so it's got all the knobs and buttons.

Yeah, on my X100V the only time I use anything but the physical controls are when I flip through and select film sims (which I have programmed to the rear dial) or the self timer, flash, Eye-AF or AF mode which I programmed into the Q menu pared down to 4 options. I actually don't mind the Fuji menu any more than I mind the Canon menus, which is to say, not much.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 8, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here's a good video on tips for the Q/Q2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOamcBbkZEE

Also more specific stuff about the Monochrome....I like his method of shooting in Aperture Priority at 200 iso outdoors and 3200 iso indoors, then all you gotta worry about is shutter speed, think I'm gonna try that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Avy_GkcT4

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 8, 2023

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Shart Carbuncle posted:

That's one of the reasons I really want one.

With my Fuji I have to be more aware of the ambient light. Getting dim? Time to go to F4 1/250. Dark out? Gotta shoot at F1.4-F2 at 1/125.

If I could let the ISO go up to 100,000 there would be much less thinking involved.

I'm also curious about shooting with deeper focus at night. F8, 1/125, ISO as high as it can go. Or shooting at much faster shutter speeds in the dark.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

:words:

This is just a quick one on my way home. A little cleanup in Lightroom on my phone, mostly to bring some of the tonal differentiation in the sky.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice. Are you using the Leica app? How is it?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

please, please, stop talking about this camera

this very ugly, very overpriced, not at all desirable camera

please

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nice. Are you using the Leica app? How is it?

Caveat: I’ve only really spent time with the Fuji app and the Leica app.

It’s definitely better than the Fuji app but it’s a low bar. It definitely looks nicer, remote shutter function is neat and it gives you a preview for framing. Will be handy if I get one and take it with my partner on vacation.

It lets you select DNG’s to download if you want. That’s handy given I tend to edit very little beyond fixing highlights and skies if I can help it. Mostly stuff you could do in LR on your phone if you were in a rush.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

The Leica app is great actually. Works much better than the Fuji one for me. Click a button it initiates a connection with the camera. Select pictures and they download fast over wifi.

From the app you’ve the option to open them in Lightroom for editing. Pretty fast workflow for getting stuff off camera into a shareable format.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

:words:

Another quick one… light masking on the left to bring some detail out of the bushes/building but otherwise I left it alone.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leempi posted:

Pretty fast workflow for getting stuff off camera into a shareable format.

Cool that was one thing I was looking forward too as well, it will nice to be able to share decent images from the Q instead of only phone pics.

rufius posted:

Another quick one… light masking on the left to bring some detail out of the bushes/building but otherwise I left it alone.

Impressive, reminds me of shooting Tmax on the M3, I love it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Hey are there any standout third party lenses for the Fuji X system that are notably better than the Fuji XF equivalents? I’m aware of the Rokinon 12mm for Astro photography but was wondering about Sigma, Viltrox etc. Especially thinking about anything on the wide/fast end that compares well with the XF 16/18mm 1.4s.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Blamestorm posted:

Hey are there any standout third party lenses for the Fuji X system that are notably better than the Fuji XF equivalents? I’m aware of the Rokinon 12mm for Astro photography but was wondering about Sigma, Viltrox etc. Especially thinking about anything on the wide/fast end that compares well with the XF 16/18mm 1.4s.

It's not wide angle, but people seem to really like the Viltrox 75mm f/1.2. I haven't used one myself, but I've watched a few. videos and it seems to get pretty universal praise.

You might look at the Viltrox 13mm f/1.4. I've been very curious about it but haven't gotten my hands on one yet.

I've used the 18-55mm f/2.8 from Sigma. It's a very nice lens, fast focusing and very sharp.

That said - I shoot 90% of my photos in 28mm FF equivalent. I use the newer Fuji XF 18mm f/1.4 LM and it is a fantastic lens, I've taken some of my favorite photos with it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I keep seeing 7artisans pop up on Reddit/insta but don’t have any experience with them.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

rufius posted:

That said - I shoot 90% of my photos in 28mm FF equivalent. I use the newer Fuji XF 18mm f/1.4 LM and it is a fantastic lens, I've taken some of my favorite photos with it.

Yeah I think this is the one I want. A little too expensive for me right now but I’ll keep an eye out for any second hand (lol as if I’d probably even save any money that way).

I find with my 18-55 zoom I’m always at the 18mm end or I prefer to use my 35mm f2, or the 55-200, but both basically for portraits or far away kid shots. I figured because I’m basically just using the zoom at 18mm I should bite the bullet and get a lens there, that plus the 55-200 and the 35f2 I think covers more or less every real world circumstance i shoot at I think.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Alright, last couple from earlier today and then I'll stop shittin up this thread with Q2M photos. Wish I'd gotten the framing on the building a little better but was standing in the middle of the street so a bit rushed. May go back tomorrow and try again.

Only tweaks were boosting clarity a little (<+10).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The internet convinced me Viltrox is good, I've been playing with the 23 f/1.4 all day. I'm happy with it, looks good and been doing well in low light. It does get softer toward the edges wide open than the Fuji lens and the vignetting is more noticeable but neither seems like a big deal to me. Biggest downsides are no WR and I miss the clicks on the aperture dial. I don't think the Viltrox is better than the Fuji if money is no object, but a new Viltrox is cheaper than a used Fuji and the quality is close enough, so I'm keeping the Viltrox.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 9, 2023

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Q2M photos by Knox Bertie, a Leica Ambassador. I believe he takes his photos while commuting to his job as a high school chemistry teacher.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

The Viltrox 13mm F1.4 is incredible.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thoren posted:

The Viltrox 13mm F1.4 is incredible.

That's been on my radar but like another poster said, can't get my hands on it anywhere. Been looking for a good non-sponsored review.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Blamestorm posted:

I own the TTArtisan 25mm F2 on my R7. It's an amazing lens for about 60 bucks. I don't own a Fuji, but I am seeing a *lot* of Fuji XT5 users praise it in the TTArtisan and Fuji groups on Facebook. It's really vibrant and everything "pops" - one of those hidden gems. I also have the 23 f1.4 but initial test images are showing it to not be as good - but I haven't had any time with it outdoors yet to be fair.

It is a fully manual lens.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Thoren posted:

high school chemistry teacher.

quote:

can afford a Leica

:thunk:

Think we found the new Hiesenberg.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
lol

Maybe he takes the train because he financed it for 24 months in replacement of a car payment.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got it in today

Super happy, the add described it as "well used" and it's actually like new, I wonder if they made a mistake.

Glad I told KEH to kick rocks, I saved over $600 and I'm gonna make more money selling my old gear myself so this all works out pretty good.

MPB is the poo poo, highly recommended.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Just got it in today

Super happy, the add described it as "well used" and it's actually like new, I wonder if they made a mistake.

Glad I told KEH to kick rocks, I saved over $600 and I'm gonna make more money selling my old gear myself so this all works out pretty good.

MPB is the poo poo, highly recommended.

I had a Q-P for a while and really enjoyed it, hope this works out well for you! I ended up annoyed at 28mm but if that's a focal length you work with well, it's hard to do better with an inexpensive (for leica) fixed lens IMO.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
welp, sent off my x-t20, we'll see what MPB knocks off of the $350 for not having the charger

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

MPB feedback: I just finished selling an X-T3 and 55-200mm to MPB today and the experience was…quite easy. They did downgrade the X-T3 from "Like New" to "Excellent" for a mark on the sensor filter that I had no idea was there. That dropped the body quote by $100. The only other surprise was they charge $15 for a "downgrade" in addition to the quote difference. But I suppose get it; they don't want everyone shipping everything as "Like New." That was counter-balanced by getting extra money added to the quote for including the flash and battery charger + battery.

I'd definitely use them again if I want a no-hassle sale.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My hunt for a cheap mirrorless ended with a like-new Z30 kit for €200 more than I was looking to pay for an a6000. At least I don't have to learn a new system :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally got the Q out today for some test pics

Obligatory cat pic first :v: