Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kalli posted:

Yeah, pretty easy to take on, pretty impossible for the Rams to trade.

Rams converted what would've been his 2022 and 2023 salaries into Signing bonuses, so they'd take on an additional $54m in dead cap by trading him.

The receiving team would have him for:

2023: $1.5m (guaranteed)
2024: $31m (guaranteed)
2025: $32m
2026: $31m

That's dirt cheap for a QB as good as Stafford.

If they mark him as a post-June trade/cut they would technically have a cap savings this year and next. I just can’t see Stafford demanding out right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Carr is for sure good enough to win a superbowl.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

John Gruden, sans the terrible roster management and access to email, could have schemed his way to a SB with Carr

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1625887752427298816

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Wow Ravens are dumb

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I think people aren't realizing just how bad those Raiders teams were over the last decade.

Without Carr they would be more pathetic than the Browns in that time period.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ostentatious posted:

I think people aren't realizing just how bad those Raiders teams were over the last decade.

Would you say that Carr..........drove those teams forward :dadjoke:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ostentatious posted:

Post the artisanal historical defensive rankings of the raiders while Carr was QB

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BlindSite posted:

if Foles and Stafford could I don't see why Carr couldn't

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

indigi posted:

if Foles and Stafford could I don't see why Carr couldn't

Stafford is better than Carr but the Foles point is fair.

I think the main argument is that getting Carr to the superbowl is going to take a loaded team, he is absolutely not dragging a mediocre team or coach to the SB.

More importantly for coaching job security, Carr is definitely good enough to get a mediocre team to the playoffs (especially in the NFC)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I think the main argument is that getting Carr to the superbowl is going to take a loaded team, he is absolutely not dragging a mediocre team or coach to the SB.
And the guys who can drag a mediocre team to the Super Bowl number like 3 tops and aren’t available.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Stafford is better than Carr but the Foles point is fair.

More importantly for coaching job security, Carr is definitely good enough to get a mediocre team to the playoffs (especially in the NFC)

Carr is much better than Stafford.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Michael Lombardi predicting that Carr is going to Carolina because they are very Christian. Best podcast ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Saints to Catholic hard agree

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Carr and Stafford are about equal in my book. Foles is a whole lot shitter.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'd put them on the same tier with Carr a bit ahead (due Stafford's age + health mostly), but even if you think Stafford is way better, he won on a fantastic team (and got a good draw in the Super Bowl). when people say "[random QB] could win if he was on a stacked team," they mean a team like the 2021 Rams

Stafford looked phenomenal against TB iirc but I think Carr could replicate his 2021 on a team with as much coaching and player talent as the Rams had. might throw fewer TDs, probably throw fewer picks as well

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The used Carr market has never been hotter!!!!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Post the artisanal historical defensive rankings of the raiders while Carr was QB

From what I remember on this point is his entire tenure as the starter he's had the single worst defense and one of the worst defenses over a decade of all time.

Is he going to be one of the elite guys who can drag a mid team to a Super Bowl absolutely not, neither is basically anyone else though. Put him on a decent team and he gets you in the playoffs every year.

The Raiders are going to be so bad next year lmao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Last or close to it in literally every category

https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1608467750489407489

A miracle he got them to playoffs twice still even despite it

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Those are almost all counting stats though, so doesn’t the offense (and the QB) take some of that blame for not staying on the field more? Being 32nd out of 32 takes a strong effort from everyone involved.

Edit: I’m sure the rate stats are arrestingly terrible, too.

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 17, 2023

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Racing Stripe posted:

Those are almost all counting stats though, so doesn’t the offense (and the QB) take some of that blame for not staying on the field more? Being 32nd out of 32 takes a strong effort from everyone involved.

Edit: I’m sure the rate stats are arrestingly terrible, too.

as someone who watched the raiders for this entire decade they were just that bad on defense and have gone through 5 offensive coordinators (Greg Olsen twice), 5 defensive coordinators and four head coaches. The Raiders offense in that time, no matter how competent had to deal with the team getting carved up on pass defense. Nick Mullens threw for 500 yards on them once. They went three years without a defensive touchdown. Believe me when I say the organization is a dumpster fire and the defense is legendarily inept.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I defer to your expertise. Carr is just a complete unknown to me. I’ve seen zero to one raiders games per season during his tenure. I kinda wish I still watched all three Sunday games plus Monday and sometimes Thursday the way I used to. I also am happy that I don’t.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Yeah i mean dont get me wrong Carr isn’t amazing but he’s definitely pretty good which is what a lot of teams will need.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Carr is at least a dependable starter which is becoming a rare thing in the league. I think he's pretty good even if he's not a top guy. You could do a lot worse and he's probably going to win you more games than he'd lose you.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Carr is a great ball thrower and good quarterback. The second you move him off his spot with some pressure the play is over though.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Codependent Poster posted:

Carr is at least a dependable starter which is becoming a rare thing in the league. I think he's pretty good even if he's not a top guy. You could do a lot worse and he's probably going to win you more games than he'd lose you.

And he's a lot less likely to get hurt compared to the other QBs on the market. There's probably at least 12 teams that could immediately benefit from 17 games of healthy, above-average quarterbacking.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah that's another thing: in 9 years in the league he's only missed four games. One in 2016 due to injury, one in 2017 due to injury, and the last two games this year where he got benched and stepped away

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pron on VHS posted:

Carr is a great ball thrower and good quarterback. The second you move him off his spot with some pressure the play is over though.

Yup

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The team leak on why he doesn't take a beating...
https://twitter.com/QuincyAvery/status/1625615748356775942

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1626644129819099136?s=46&t=yQb-mNYice4P23B1vR1DVg

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Jets would be a really good fit. Maybe they realize pining for Aaron Rodgers has never worked out for anyone

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Derek Carr on the Jets with those skill positions and defense would be a really interesting team.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Glad they’re at least exploring the option of Carr. He had his Pro Bowl seasons under Todd Downing.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Somehow I think folks wouldn't complain about Brady crumpling every time a defender breathes on him, but hey.

You mother fucker stay away from the Jets. Rodgers needs to go there!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

It’s almost like his brother got beaten to a pulp and broken taking sacks and big hits on extremely lovely teams as well. I’m noticing a through line.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
There's an offensive coordinator sized hole in the Jets

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

Jets would be a really good fit. Maybe they realize pining for Aaron Rodgers has never worked out for anyone

They should be exploring all options. Lamar the top among them, followed by Carr, Rodgers, and Jimmy in that order ideally

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

They should be exploring all options. Lamar the top among them, followed by Carr, Rodgers, and Jimmy in that order ideally
That's pretty much the order I had a few weeks ago. Any of the top 3 I'd be thrilled with. Then a drop off to Jimmy G or Tannehill tier.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think my preference is

1. Lamar (but never going to happen)
2. Carr (cheaper, more longevity)
3. Rodgers (you have a 2 year championship window before the cap fucks you)

After that I just get depressed. Maybe trade up in the draft.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you have a Hackett/Carr pairing are you really looking at anything more than a wild card spot and maybe 1 playoff win if you're lucky? That is why I prefer Rodgers and his higher (much higher) ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

If you have a Hackett/Carr pairing are you really looking at anything more than a wild card spot and maybe 1 playoff win if you're lucky? That is why I prefer Rodgers and his higher (much higher) ceiling.

It's the Jets. They should throw a parade for just making the playoffs