Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

oh. gently caress. if Nooner had a plan and I didn't than something went wrong

I see where you're coming from here, and I get it.

On the other hand, sometimes I can't help but wonder if some of Nooner's plans aren't so intentionally designed for self-flagellation that they would give Martin Luther pause.

In conclusion, Nooner is a land of contrasts. And drat if we don't love 'im for it.

Edit: This may actually be the greatest unintentional page snipe in the history of this website. Please like, subscribe, hit the bell, and leave your thoughts in the comments below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

While I appreciate discussion of GBS's own patron saint, let's keep this thread focused on student loan stuff. Thanks.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Zarin posted:

I see where you're coming from here, and I get it.

On the other hand, sometimes I can't help but wonder if some of Nooner's plans aren't so intentionally designed for self-flagellation that they would give Martin Luther pause.

In conclusion, Nooner is a land of contrasts. And drat if we don't love 'im for it.

Edit: This may actually be the greatest unintentional page snipe in the history of this website. Please like, subscribe, hit the bell, and leave your thoughts in the comments below.

I meant that Nooner is a moron. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

While I appreciate discussion of GBS's own patron saint, let's keep this thread focused on student loan stuff. Thanks.

lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just....I just got my money back.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I just....I just got my money back.

?????????

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Elephunk posted:

?????????

Assuming a refund request for payments made since March 2020.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

But this could be a big thing, yeah? Like, it's my birthday, I'm really high, and there are dots I'm connecting that maybe I shouldn't be.

Should I feel cautious optimism, is basically what I'm asking.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leave posted:

But this could be a big thing, yeah? Like, it's my birthday, I'm really high, and there are dots I'm connecting that maybe I shouldn't be.

Should I feel cautious optimism, is basically what I'm asking.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if it is a refund, then no. It's a thing that you have been allowed to do for a while and not directly related to forgiveness.

The court case doesn't start for a while and there won't be a decision until around June. There won't be any major news about it for a while.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Assuming a refund request for payments made since March 2020.

Yeah, that's what happened. I made payments during the pandemic, and just got refunded the amount I paid during that time today. I had figured that I was in the same boat as those with outstanding debt and was out of luck until the court decision, but I guess not.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Personally, I wouldn't spend that money until after the court case is settled. If it's ruled that Biden couldn't forgive those loans, you may find that you owe it all back again.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if it is a refund, then no. It's a thing that you have been allowed to do for a while and not directly related to forgiveness.

The court case doesn't start for a while and there won't be a decision until around June. There won't be any major news about it for a while.

Aww, nuts. Still, good for Edward Mass!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Not as fun as getting money back but 5 months or so after submitting the pslf waiver forms and no word about it all they finally transferred my loans to mohela.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 5, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ethanol posted:

Not as fun as getting money back but 5 months or so after submitting the pslf waiver forms and no word about it all they finally transferred my loans to mohela.
Give it another month or three. They transferred my loans but a clerical error delayed my PSLF.

Everything's on pause so at least I didn't have to make payments at FedLoan

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So far MOHELA has been absolute poo poo compared to FedLoan.

I've submitted two ECFs to MOHELA and after 6 months they still haven't processed them and updates my PSLF counts.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
I find MOHELA's web 1.0 interface charming in a blue-tables-with-black-borders sort of way.

Otherwise, yes, MOHELA is complete dog poo poo. I am hoping that with the contract money they'll be pulling in servicing the PSLF, that maybe they'll hire some UI people and two, maybe three more service reps.

e:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've submitted two ECFs to MOHELA and after 6 months they still haven't processed them and updates my PSLF counts.

You can get on studentaid.gov and file a complaint. This will give you a ticket number that you can then follow up on with the government ombudsman in charge of all of the 'keep the servicers in line' thing. I've seen people say that gets stuck ECFs moving.

Jesus In A Can fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 6, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yes looking at their website I immediately began to wonder what kind of hell I just got myself into lol

but there's no other options for PSLF tracking

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I keep hoping someone will file a class action lawsuit against them for their mismanagement of the PSLF and focusing their attention on stopping the loan forgiveness. I know California is suing them as they are violating California state law.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
An old coworker just got their $120k loans forgiven by TEPSLF.

Only took him a year and change to get the verdict :homebrew:

Would that everyone could get the same :gbsmith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Probably the only significant update we will get until the court decision, but Goons should keep an eye on this and mark your calendar to check back in when the new IDR plan goes live - which is expected to be around May or June. The DOE has started the process of implementing the new IDR loan type.

If the court decision comes down in June and rules against forgiveness (seems likely), then the pause will be extended to sometime in August. That gives you 2-3 months to change your loan to the new IDR/REPAYE type before the pause ends. A Supreme Court Ruling against forgiveness does not impact the IDR plan.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1613204144403120128

tl;dr version:

- The new IDR payment plan is not actually going to be a "new" plan. They are revamping the existing REPAYE income-based repayment plan to be replaced with the new IDR plan and become the new default income-based repayment plan.

Details about the IDR plan are in the OP, but the main highlights are:

quote:

For undergraduate loans, cut in half the amount that borrowers have to pay each month from 10% to 5% of discretionary income.

Raise the amount of income that is considered non-discretionary income and therefore is protected from repayment, guaranteeing that no borrower earning under 225% of the federal poverty level—about the annual equivalent of a $15 minimum wage for a single borrower—will have to make a monthly payment.

Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department of Education estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years.

Cover the borrower’s unpaid monthly interest, so that unlike other existing income-driven repayment plans, no borrower’s loan balance will grow as long as they make their monthly payments—even when that monthly payment is $0 because their income is low.

Essentially, it caps your monthly payments at $0 or very low, depending on income, and then forgives them after 10 years.

$0 payments count towards the forgiveness total and 225% of the poverty line (the level at which payments are $0) is about $32k for a single person and $64k for an average household. A single person making $50k would have payments of about $35 per month - regardless of the size of the loan - and the government would cover any excess interest.

Especially important for Goons with FFEL or Perkins loans: Even if you were not eligible for forgiveness, you will be eligible to switch your loan type to the new IDR/REPAYE loans when they are available.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...st-accumulation

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Probably the only significant update we will get until the court decision, but Goons should keep an eye on this and mark your calendar to check back in when the new IDR plan goes live - which is expected to be around May or June. The DOE has started the process of implementing the new IDR loan type.

If the court decision comes down in June and rules against forgiveness (seems likely), then the pause will be extended to sometime in August. That gives you 2-3 months to change your loan to the new IDR/REPAYE type before the pause ends. A Supreme Court Ruling against forgiveness does not impact the IDR plan.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1613204144403120128

tl;dr version:

- The new IDR payment plan is not actually going to be a "new" plan. They are revamping the existing REPAYE income-based repayment plan to be replaced with the new IDR plan and become the new default income-based repayment plan.

Details about the IDR plan are in the OP, but the main highlights are:

Essentially, it caps your monthly payments at $0 or very low, depending on income, and then forgives them after 10 years.

$0 payments count towards the forgiveness total and 225% of the poverty line (the level at which payments are $0) is about $32k for a single person and $64k for an average household. A single person making $50k would have payments of about $35 per month - regardless of the size of the loan - and the government would cover any excess interest.

Especially important for Goons with FFEL or Perkins loans: Even if you were not eligible for forgiveness, you will be eligible to switch your loan type to the new IDR/REPAYE loans when they are available.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...st-accumulation

I wish there was a calculator.

I'm in that spot with income where I have a lot of "discretionary" (cuz it's totally discretionary if I choose to pay my rent) but don't make enough to start aggressively paying down the loans.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

pseudanonymous posted:

I wish there was a calculator.

I'm in that spot with income where I have a lot of "discretionary" (cuz it's totally discretionary if I choose to pay my rent) but don't make enough to start aggressively paying down the loans.

You can do a rough calculation.

What was your adjusted gross income last year (adjusted, not total income) and how many people are in your household?

Also, Nerdwallet has a rough calculator (use the second one on the bottom of the page) that can give you a good estimate:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/student-loans/discretionary-income-calculator

Just also remember to use your AGI and not actual gross income.

The lower your income is, then the bigger your payment drop will be.

As an example:

A two-person household making $50k would have paid $528 per month at the 20% rate or $282 per month at the 10% rate under the old rules.

Under the new IDR plan, they would pay $37 per month. If you have a kid or third person in the house, it goes down to $0.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Lol I was spitting facts and y’all were smoking that make believe. Thanks B

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

nom epique posted:

Lol I was spitting facts and y’all were smoking that make believe. Thanks B

Morgan freeman pointing up meme here

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A couple months ago, I contacted Aidvantage, who apparently took over federal student loans from MyFedLoan to request a repayment of the $9200 I had paid during the pandemic, which had paid off my loans. They said it would take a little while. Yesterday I got a bill from them, due this month, for $221.xx.

I’m going to contact them to find out, but aren’t interest and student loan payments paused until they figure out the Supreme Court ruling?

Also, shouldn’t they have sent me the $9200 that they’re now billing me for :lol:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i had a thought recently. if teh supreme court rules in favour of the legality of bidens proposal to forgive deby unanimously with an executive order, that means he could do it again immediately after without challenge right? like, his pathetic wet fart of a means tested student loan "forgiveness" plan basically amounting to a taxable table scrap might be improved upon by just saying we're forgiving 100% of loans, right? and there would be no basis for a legal challenge because the courts would have already settled an identical question. ust wondering if it's possible biden may be able to actually make a genuinely good act as pres rather than a limp wristed token hjalf measure for which he high fives himself on the back and runs a victory lap over. would be cool if so

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also wondering if, with the coming trial or w/e at the end of the month, we will be able to discuss in here with levity, or if this is some form of fail rear end d&d rules rear end wandering thread where not citing my jokes is illegal? will a second, concurrent gbs student loan forgiveness runaround/rigmarole thread need to be made for ordinary posters who aren't trying to be owned by a bargain bin no name koos knockoff mod for 6 hrs at a time every time they want to post "lol"? i will volunteer to make the regular thread for regular posters thread if such is the case (and also volunteer to ik it, naturally)

e: also noticed (hope to not catch a probe over noticing), that it is now 2023, and that the thread title is now out of date again. iirc this is an Official Information style thread and thusly, woefully inaccurate.......

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 17, 2023

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
DOn't want to dip my to into speculation lake. However ive been contemplating how the blameless one is purposely ending the COVID emergency. And ive been asking in many a thread to no avail if this means the pause can no longer be extended... Therefore I am taking my question to the official serious student loan thread for this entirely sincere question of which nobody has been able to give any info ....

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

also wondering if, with the coming trial or w/e at the end of the month, we will be able to discuss in here with levity, or if this is some form of fail rear end d&d rules rear end wandering thread where not citing my jokes is illegal? will a second, concurrent gbs student loan forgiveness runaround/rigmarole thread need to be made for ordinary posters who aren't trying to be owned by a bargain bin no name koos knockoff mod for 6 hrs at a time every time they want to post "lol"? i will volunteer to make the regular thread for regular posters thread if such is the case (and also volunteer to ik it, naturally)

e: also noticed (hope to not catch a probe over noticing), that it is now 2023, and that the thread title is now out of date again. iirc this is an Official Information style thread and thusly, woefully inaccurate.......

I fixed the title - thanks for pointing that out. And to answer your question I think the thread will remain serious until we get a resolution, after which whatever.

Also, I'm still going to give you a probe for being a dick.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

did they get forgiven yet

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Smugworth posted:

did they get forgiven yet

Nope. Still waiting on the supreme court

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New IDR plan applications and info are supposed to come out in late May.

Supreme Court is supposed to rule by June 28th.

Unlikely to be any major new information other than those two dates until the end of June.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did Biden do the loans yet?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nooner posted:

Did Biden do the loans yet?

Yeah, but just for me :keke:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I was told I've been approved to loan some dna to your mom

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I got MY money back in January. As in, I had paid the money from 2020-2022, and the money came back to me. As of right now, that money I got back makes up 60% of my bank account.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Have there been any updates on this?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
It’s dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Supreme Court? More like PooPee Court, am i rite?