Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

I love how the sound of a red tailed hawk is even used in China for every single bird of prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

madeintaipei posted:

10 SEC Championships! ROOOOLLLLLL TIIIIIDE! WOOOOOO!

Ahem. Sorry 'bout that. Reflex, you understand.

Anyone been to the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker? It's close enough to go, but I'd have to make a day of it.

I’ve not been in a decade or two now but it was interesting to walk around. Maybe not worth driving down from Birmingham or further but word a look if you’re in the area.

Full Collapse posted:

Bear Bryant was a fraud.

Listen here you little poo poo…

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Warbird posted:

Listen here you little poo poo…

Trap sprung

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

War Eagle :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I went to a Big Ten school. I’m just having fun. :shobon:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Full Collapse posted:

I went to a Big Ten school. I’m just having fun. :shobon:

You certainly didn’t have any fun on Saturdays.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Idk, looks like a hoot to me

https://youtu.be/WO-QTJer3vU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

in a well actually posted:

I went to Purdue, so absolutely not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in a well actually posted:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I practiced spins today. It was good. Pulling 3-4g repeatedly makes you feel your age tho

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nebakenezzer posted:

What do you have to do to prepare a beach for that? Metal mats?

Older planes like the Carreidas 160 supersonic business jet might need a reinforced beach runway like that, but I think the A400M was designed to land on unimproved beaches.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Elviscat posted:

Older planes like the Carreidas 160 supersonic business jet might need a reinforced beach runway like that, but I think the A400M was designed to land on unimproved beaches.

Don’t forget the arrestor net for the 160 too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Elviscat posted:

Don't diss the 160; a swing-wing tri-engine bizjet is the very definition of Aeronautical Insanity.

(For those who don't get the ref: )
https://i.imgur.com/Ithv2Hb.png

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
[Post removed pending further research]

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 15, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

What do you have to do to prepare a beach for that? Metal mats?

you have to bring in all the chairs and umbrellas

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

you have to bring in all the chairs and umbrellas

You jest, but Paul Bertorelli has a great video that is always interesting to post when "beach landing" is brought up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Was half expecting it to have real fire but yeah, that's cool as hell.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The United 777 that had the dive on departure from Maui. Is there a way to calculate the G-forces from the data on the flight tracking websites? Just curious.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
None of the 300 passengers on the plane gave any interviews or had a phone recording the whole thing?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

This writeup says 2.7g. https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/united-maui-dive-ua1722-close-call/

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Phanatic posted:

The pilots of AA106, the 777 that crossed the runway at JFK ahead of Delta 1943, forcing it to abort its takeoff, have refused to give a deposition if the NTSB records it. Which of course the NTSB would do, so they're refusing.

And the NTSB needs their testimony because, since the flight was allowed to continue on to Europe, the flight recorder data was overwritten by subsequent data.

https://www.travelersunited.org/american-airlines-pilots-refuse-to-give-testimony-to-ntsb-investigation/

Get this poo poo from the APA:

"We won't tell the truth if you're recording it" is one hell of a take.

NTSB has subpoenaed the pilots.

This is actually a pretty major, and bad, change to the status quo on the part of the NTSB. Previously NTSB interviews with crewmembers were conducted with at most hand taken notes. The point being that crewmembers could be %100 honest with the investigators without fear of an admission of guilt making it into a courtroom, the public eye, or most likely an AA HR office during a termination hearing. It's pretty clear what happened in this case but the only people who know why it happened need to be able to say something along the lines of "I was looking at the TPS report when I should have been watching the captain taxi."

We've made a lot of positive steps towards self disclosure of safety issues through programs such as ASAP and FOQA. This is a huge step backwards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The pilots made a boner, but I have to respect that they aren’t rolling over, legally speaking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

This is actually a pretty major, and bad, change to the status quo on the part of the NTSB. Previously NTSB interviews with crewmembers were conducted with at most hand taken notes. The point being that crewmembers could be %100 honest with the investigators without fear of an admission of guilt making it into a courtroom, the public eye, or most likely an AA HR office during a termination hearing. It's pretty clear what happened in this case but the only people who know why it happened need to be able to say something along the lines of "I was looking at the TPS report when I should have been watching the captain taxi."

We've made a lot of positive steps towards self disclosure of safety issues through programs such as ASAP and FOQA. This is a huge step backwards.

Everybody wants to be the cops lmao. I'm amazed anyone talked to the NTSB without a lawyer present before and they sure as gently caress won't ever do it again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Might vary by mode but there’s full on transcript of USCG / NTSB interviews with vessel crewmembers in the public docket section of their website.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s kinda the point though isn’t it? USCG are cops. This is an NTSB investigation, not an FAA/NTSB one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Gru?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

More like XXX-59

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/hobby-clubs-missing-balloon-feared-shot-down-usaf

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

So... what's the right way to contact that USAF and go "Hey, uh, I think one of your UFOs was my hobby club's balloon?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I guess I'd try to get ahold of the base command post? They're supposed to know who to call for all the crazy reasons people need to be called.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ardeem posted:

So... what's the right way to contact that USAF and go "Hey, uh, I think one of your UFOs was my hobby club's balloon?"

Can’t sue the government for them doing their job so what’s the point of getting confirmation or making a thing out of it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ardeem posted:

A different article said they tried calling the FBI and someone at the DoD to volunteer that it might have been theirs and both organizations hung up on them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

A different article said they tried calling the FBI and someone at the DoD to volunteer that it might have been theirs and both organizations hung up on them.

Honestly, Balloon Bowl 2023 sufficiently distracted the media to the point where no one's really talked about classified material for a while, and Biden's been able to do low-impact/high-publicity ~presidential~ pew pew things. :rolleyes:

You'd think that after all these decades and with the relative ease of parsing information there'd be a way for the general public to better communicate with the government in these situations, but that's just not how things are ever going to work. =/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ardeem posted:

Shut up and whistle innocently.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Shut up and whistle innocently.

That's my thought. Hope your balloon club doesn't get a bill for a few hours' F-22 flight time and an AIM-9x missile.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ardeem posted:

a non-TSO compliant ADS-B transponder costs $30

commercial drone use in A/B/C airspace requires TSO compliant poo poo that's upwards of $5,000 but that's there's nothing wrong with putting a cheapo ADS-B on a balloon not otherwise requiring one if you're that worried

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Potato Salad posted:

commercial drone use in A/B/C airspace requires TSO compliant poo poo that's upwards of $5,000 but that's there's nothing wrong with putting a cheapo ADS-B on a balloon not otherwise requiring one if you're that worried

And how big and heavy is that transponder (and its power source)?

Payloads for pico-balloons are measured in grams.

Image stolen from: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/the-us-airforce-may-have-shot-down-an-amateur-radio-pico-balloon-over-canada/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

If it was one of these balloons they’re actually exempt from all those requirements because they are not even 6lb.

If that’s what they are it seems impressive they were picked up accurately in the first place. You’d think they’d be scrambling to intercept birds if the radars are set that sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The hobby balloons are aluminized mylar, I think, which is about the best thing ever for giving huge radar returns.

Dunno how to feel about the Dystopian near-future where your kid accidents lets go of their birthday balloon, and 10 minutes later it disappears as the sonic boom from the departing F22 rattles your skull.