Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

:hai: and you'd have to be an absolute fool to surrender your established brand

lol lookin sharp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

When you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I don’t think enemies should have grenades

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

I don’t think enemies should have grenades

if you time it right you can use this to your advantage

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol lookin sharp

i know weve all been posting this a lot lately, but prag ftw

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Great av

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

if you time it right you can use this to your advantage

I feel like they just come flying out of nowhere and 1 shot me. I’m using quick saves but I’ve had to continue a couple times and wonder if the difficulty is getting weird

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I HTINK It's a bit arrogant on the dev's part to disable alt+tab while max payne is open

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I HTINK It's a bit arrogant on the dev's part to disable alt+tab while max payne is open

Yeah it's annoying

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

When you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation.

common misconception. as long as the pit has walls you're more likely to eventually fall asleep and drift into one of them, breaking a limb or at least the skin seriously enough that you die of blood loss. it's quite simple, really

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

drat right

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Playing it now it’s pretty impressive how “real” the environments are and how much detail there is fora game made in 2001
the developers flew over from finland to guiliani-era nyc and took lots of photos with an early digital camera that they either just photoshopped into textures or used as reference for architecture, models etc. i think they ended up hiring some ex-cops to take them on a guided tour of bad neighbourhoods, old mob hangouts etc.

it's pretty well known how max is just sam lake in a cheap leather jacket, but pretty much every character in the game is photosourced from whoever they could get in front of a camera for five minutes. developers, friends, parents, relatives, random people in the same office building, pizza delivery guys...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
: Fill every slot in your inventory

Feels unreal to have gotten this far lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

... the NYPD has an ... out on Max Payne ... killer storm ... olice chief Jim Bravura ... take whatever steps nec ... stated that bounty rep ... the NYPD has an ...

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
How is the second dream sequence worse. I’m ready to loving hang myself

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Nvm I got it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

: Defeat four Guardians

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

: Defeat the Trio (Pilate Providence, Joe Salem, and Vince Mugnaio)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

say what you will about the dream sequences but the fourth wall break in the second one blew my mind back in 2001 and hell it's still one of the highlights of the game for me

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
every second after the mansion is loving miserable. i would recommend this game to nobody.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

every second after the mansion is loving miserable. i would recommend this game to nobody.

thats the max payne experience i know and love

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like they just come flying out of nowhere and 1 shot me. I’m using quick saves but I’ve had to continue a couple times and wonder if the difficulty is getting weird

Given your followup posts I suspect that is in fact what's happening.

I remember the last act being a bit weaker generally though

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 17, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Simply don’t quicksave you gigantic pussies.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

American McGay posted:

not quicksaving is the cowards way out, you gotta ramp that difficulty until its absurd and then its true gaming

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

American McGay posted:

That's not the issue, it's reloading without watching the full death animation play out. Difficulty rises automatically and only lowers if you die a bunch of times in a very short time period so frequently quicksaving then dying is probably rhe only way to actually lower it. I think

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

https://twitter.com/good_faces_bot/status/1626370863607222274

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

After obliterating my 4th guardian and then finding the axe yesterday I felt like a genius. 10 minutes in some dark rooms was all it took to make me feel like a moron again. La mulana rules

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Felt good finally getting the sperm to fertilize after twenty tries, I dunno if it was just janky hitboxes or if there was something I was missing

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

P-Mack posted:

Felt good finally getting the sperm to fertilize after twenty tries, I dunno if it was just janky hitboxes or if there was something I was missing

Congrats to you and yours!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I feel like I ran into a brick wall and have just been walking around in circles since yesterday. Would like to know how to move the elephant statues blocking the ladder leading to the save point in chamber of birth or how to get to the clay doll miniboss.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In that same situation rn, got the jewel but otherwise just running around both halves of chamber of birth and hating both of them

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:hai:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
: Find the La-Mulana software/Maze of Galious ROM

It is incredibly satisfying when you break through a road block and make a ton of progress all at once. Beat Viy, cleaned up most of Illusion and Ruin. Finally got that treasure taunting me in Guidance, which led to finding the entrance to Tower of the Goddess, what a loving reveal. Got through most of Tower of the Goddess and checked out the back half of Ruin, Illusion, and Graveyard. I got a puzzle to solve in Endless Corridor, I got items to find in a couple places, and I've only peeked inside Birth. I also want to spend some time just visiting places to bring the key fairy and use the scanning software.

Screenshot + excel file has been clutch.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I have almost every item in the game except I'm missing most of the useable items is that normal:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

: Beat the game

Max Payne still kicks rear end, I just want to jump right into Max Payne 2 now because it improves on the original in every way. first ill give New York Minute a shot

MP2 is win.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Max Payne is the only PC game I've played that crashes so badly you can't even end the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just don't get shot by the 100 snipers.