Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

McSpankWich posted:

If I get a picnic I cut the skin off before I cook it.

Just throw it away? I didn't think to do that. My wife bought it instead of butt, I wanted to make the best of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

You could make your own rinds if you're looking for something to do with it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

Just throw it away? I didn't think to do that. My wife bought it instead of butt, I wanted to make the best of it.

You could always make cracklins.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Who wants a million pics about bacon?

First off I use this to get a good sense of what weights I should be using in terms of curing salt and regular salt.

Then I just sort of add a bunch of things I think might taste good in bacon. A chimichurri spice mix, some Szechuan peppers and paprika.

Now to the pork belly itself. It still has ribs on it along with the skin. I remove all the bones trying to keep as much of the meat behind as i can. Then I remove the skin, taking out an annoying gouge in the middle.

Lastly, I cover the whole thing in the curing mixture. Afterwards i put it uncovered in my fridge where I will flip it occasionally over the next week.

Bacon’s week in the fridge is over. Now it’s in the smoker.

Now it’s out of the smoker!

It’s bacon

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's beautiful

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Best show and tell ever.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I cross posted this to the sous vide thread too, but:

I'm in a cold climate trying to make some decent KC style BBQ for the super bowl. I'm going to get about 5 hours of decent-ish smoking weather on Sunday to cook outside, does anyone have a recipe on a combo sous vide / smoker they like? Looking at either ribs, traditional brisket burnt ends, and pork belly burnt ends.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Small portions, and high surface area to volume ratios

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Does your smoker not hold temp in the cold? Are you just tryin to speed up the process? It all depends on what equipment you have available and what quantities you're working with. Cutting and baggin up all that seems like a lot. I would use the oven to finish most of that before bagging and sv.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've seen YouTubers (namely Guga on SousVideEverything) do something like two hours on the smoker then the rest sous vide.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I've heard that meat only absorbs smoke flavor up to 140 internal, so you could also smoke to 140 and then finish however.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe

So I found this article written by a guy I trust for sous vide and it references Meathead for the smoking aspects, so it seems viable at least. I'll try to report back with results.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe

So I found this article written by a guy I trust for sous vide and it references Meathead for the smoking aspects, so it seems viable at least. I'll try to report back with results.

I mean, Kenji and Meathead are about the best sources you're going to get so yeah.

After reading that article, I'm going to try it myself. Kenji has never steered me wrong.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 8, 2023

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Bo-Pepper posted:

Who wants a million pics about bacon?

First off I use this to get a good sense of what weights I should be using in terms of curing salt and regular salt.

Then I just sort of add a bunch of things I think might taste good in bacon. A chimichurri spice mix, some Szechuan peppers and paprika.

Now to the pork belly itself. It still has ribs on it along with the skin. I remove all the bones trying to keep as much of the meat behind as i can. Then I remove the skin, taking out an annoying gouge in the middle.

Lastly, I cover the whole thing in the curing mixture. Afterwards i put it uncovered in my fridge where I will flip it occasionally over the next week.

Bacon’s week in the fridge is over. Now it’s in the smoker.

Now it’s out of the smoker!

It’s bacon

drat dude, that looks friggin delicious! powerful technique, takes the term 'total smokeshow' to a whole new level haha! digging the super thick rashers, they thicc bois lol. you said you removed all the bones but unfortunately after seeing this sexy rear end bacon i can't remove mine if you know what i mean! :D (i want to gently caress that bacon soo bad haha!)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tmfc posted:

you said you removed all the bones but unfortunately after seeing this sexy rear end bacon i can't remove mine if you know what i mean! :D (i want to gently caress that bacon soo bad haha!)

bruh

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tmfc posted:

you said you removed all the bones but unfortunately after seeing this sexy rear end bacon i can't remove mine if you know what i mean! :D (i want to gently caress that bacon soo bad haha!)

Is drunk posting still probe worthy?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tmfc posted:

drat dude, that looks friggin delicious! powerful technique, takes the term 'total smokeshow' to a whole new level haha! digging the super thick rashers, they thicc bois lol. you said you removed all the bones but unfortunately after seeing this sexy rear end bacon i can't remove mine if you know what i mean! :D (i want to gently caress that bacon soo bad haha!)

Maybe in the future we try not to appreciate foods quite this much thanks

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

2 parts curing salt, 1 part liquid smoke.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I cooked beef short ribs both sous vide and smoked to see which I preferred. Sous vide ribs were cooked at 141 F for 63 hours and then finished in a MES at 275 F for 2.5 hours. They came out fork-tender and stupid juicy and tasted magical. However I still preferred the rack that was just smoked for 7.5 hours because of the bark. The bark is real good.

I'm wondering if I can achieve a barkier texture by resting the SV cooked ribs in the fridge overnight, applying pepper and then smoking at 200 F for 4-5 hours without raising the internal temp too much. Basically wanting a dark cronchy outside with a tender pink center.

anyways here are pics of my meat

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

asciidic posted:

I cooked beef short ribs both sous vide and smoked to see which I preferred. Sous vide ribs were cooked at 141 F for 63 hours and then finished in a MES at 275 F for 2.5 hours. They came out fork-tender and stupid juicy and tasted magical. However I still preferred the rack that was just smoked for 7.5 hours because of the bark. The bark is real good.

I'm wondering if I can achieve a barkier texture by resting the SV cooked ribs in the fridge overnight, applying pepper and then smoking at 200 F for 4-5 hours without raising the internal temp too much. Basically wanting a dark cronchy outside with a tender pink center.

Looking good!

And I think you might find this article relevant to your question: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/sous-vide-que-smoked-st-louis-spare-ribs-recipe/

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Was at a super bowl party and my brother-in-law actually made some pretty decent ribs in the oven after giving them a little sear on the grill. Seasoning he used was Old Bay and butter.

I think it worked because he wasn’t trying to fake or replicate a smoked flavor, he was just doing his own non-smoked thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Was at a super bowl party and my brother-in-law actually made some pretty decent ribs in the oven after giving them a little sear on the grill. Seasoning he used was Old Bay and butter.

I think it worked because he wasn’t trying to fake or replicate a smoked flavor, he was just doing his own non-smoked thing.
This is how I used to make ribs, you can't get bark, obviously, but you can still get good-tasting fall-off -the-bone ribs:
Take a slab and remove the membrane
Apply rub
Apply sauce
Wrap in foil, a "tight tent" where it's sealed but not touching the top
Bake low and slow, 275 X HOURS
half an hour before serving, open the tent, apply another layer of sauce, up heat a little.
When sauce is tacky it's done

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

This is likely why they were good. It's like vegetarian poo poo. I'll eat vegetarian food no problem but fake meat often tastes like crap (have not had impossible burger stuff).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tater_salad posted:

This is likely why they were good. It's like vegetarian poo poo. I'll eat vegetarian food no problem but fake meat often tastes like crap (have not had impossible burger stuff).

Impossible ground meats taste Fine. They're not as good as the real thing but they're not bad.
They just smell awful before you cook them.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!
So I'm going to be smoking some brisket for an event that we are having at work (small company - basically 5 people).

Normally this would be really straight forward as I've been smoking briskets for years on my WSM - pretty straight forward stuff (basically Aaron Franklin's way) with standard Costco Prime briskets (PBUC!) and controlled with my Heater Meter.

I'm going to grab a full brisket from Costco per usual but at the same time my (very well meaning, and actually a very good cook, just doesn't have any experience with smoking things) boss also got a (pricy) grass fed flat. This flat has unfortunately had most of the fat trimmed off of it.

How do I cook this without loving it up? I'm definitely worried about it drying out due to the lack of fat and the fact that it's already a flat that would be drier anyway. I do have Butcher BBQ Beef Injection that I sometimes use so that could be an option. Is there anything else I can do? Should I use foil instead of the brown butcher paper that I normally use? Some other sort of rub rather than the standard salt and pepper? I'm also not normally a user of grass fed beef as I find it to often be gamey so I'm worried that even if I get the cook right that the flavor isn't going to be any good.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Ah like a little sear after they were done cooking? Old Bay sounds strangely compelling on pork ribs

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

So I'm going to be smoking some brisket for an event that we are having at work (small company - basically 5 people).

Normally this would be really straight forward as I've been smoking briskets for years on my WSM - pretty straight forward stuff (basically Aaron Franklin's way) with standard Costco Prime briskets (PBUC!) and controlled with my Heater Meter.

I'm going to grab a full brisket from Costco per usual but at the same time my (very well meaning, and actually a very good cook, just doesn't have any experience with smoking things) boss also got a (pricy) grass fed flat. This flat has unfortunately had most of the fat trimmed off of it.

How do I cook this without loving it up? I'm definitely worried about it drying out due to the lack of fat and the fact that it's already a flat that would be drier anyway. I do have Butcher BBQ Beef Injection that I sometimes use so that could be an option. Is there anything else I can do? Should I use foil instead of the brown butcher paper that I normally use? Some other sort of rub rather than the standard salt and pepper? I'm also not normally a user of grass fed beef as I find it to often be gamey so I'm worried that even if I get the cook right that the flavor isn't going to be any good.

Maybe wrap earlier than usual with tallow-coated butcher paper or foil instead of paper like you said.

I don't like 100% grass-fed and feel like it's marketing hype. Grass-fed and finished on grain is a-ok though.

Edit - Use fat based binder to apply the rub such as spray duck fat. I always use duck fat now instead of something like mustard because I'm a precious bitch.

FINAL EDIT - I've had some ribs in a sous vide since 4pm yesterday. Going to pull them at 4pm today and put them on the pellet grill for an hour. Very interested to see how these turn out.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 15, 2023

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Since you're using a WSM - if you put the flat on the bottom rack, the fat dripping from the full packer should baste the flat a bit.

I've never done this myself, but it makes sense to me conceptually. V:shobon:v

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah like a little sear after they were done cooking? Old Bay sounds strangely compelling on pork ribs

Old bay hot sauce makes a fine glaze for pork and chicken.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Holy poo poo there is old bay hot sauce?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bob A Feet posted:

Holy poo poo there is old bay hot sauce?

Brother, no! Turn back! There is yet still time!

. . . I was legit addicted to the stuff when I first discovered it. Literally taking shots of it at random just because I was maybe almost hungry and didn't feel like making a snack.

If you're gonna buy the small table-sized bottle, just do yourself a favor and buy a half-gallon jug and a small funnel while you're at it. It'll save you time and a trip to the store later in the week.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

FINAL EDIT - I've had some ribs in a sous vide since 4pm yesterday. Going to pull them at 4pm today and put them on the pellet grill for an hour. Very interested to see how these turn out.

How did this work out for you? IMO I usually have to do more than 1hr for a nice bark like I'd want. What kind of ribs did you do?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sterster posted:

How did this work out for you? IMO I usually have to do more than 1hr for a nice bark like I'd want. What kind of ribs did you do?

They turned out well! My wife enjoyed them. I ended up going about 2 hours at 225 on the pellet grill. Though, my compromise method of smoking for 2 hours and then finishing all the way wrapped in the oven also works well for a smokey yet tender rib. I'm not sure it's worth the time in the sous vide. But they did work out.

It's important to use something to weigh the bags down - I lost maybe 20% of the water over night.

I did pork - St. Louis

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 17, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Obviously you’ll start the whole packer a good while before the grass flat. Use the packer trimmings to make some beef tallow on the side. Wrap the grass flat earlier than you normally would and douse it in that rendered beef tallow. Spoon more on when you slice it. Should keep it juicy.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I wanted to try smoking some poor man’s burnt ends and pork belly brisket style yesterday but it turns out chuck roast is now expensive as gently caress or I never noticed because I don’t buy it that often, and also my store no longer carries pork belly :mad:/:(

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

T-Square posted:

I wanted to try smoking some poor man’s burnt ends and pork belly brisket style yesterday but it turns out chuck roast is now expensive as gently caress or I never noticed because I don’t buy it that often, and also my store no longer carries pork belly :mad:/:(

Yeah, you can find it on sale for $4/lb if you're lucky. Been like that for a few years.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

More insanity, had to stop at a Meijer on the way home and strolled through the meat dept and they have full packer briskets for $3.99/lb, but then they also have flats only for…$8.99/lb. So you can get half as much of the lesser cut for more than twice the price!

I miss when my Festival had 4lb flats for 20 bucks.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 22, 2023

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
been getting pork here relatively cheap. chuck and any other beef however for poor man's steaks is like 7 a lb. started grilling pork chops and have some 15 lb shoulders i need to smoke up. meat chickens and eggs are kinda back to normal prices though. im in the NC area

Munkeylord fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 22, 2023

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
We've been eating lots of pork tenderloin because it's like $1.38-$1.50lb at Sam's Club usually. Cheapest meat by far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Pork tenderloin never ever gets that cheap here. Loin maybe?

Chicken is still usually cheaper — quarters as low as $0.70/lb, whole chickens $1/lb on sale. I guess if you’re really dedicated you would price out the bone weight