Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Joburg posted:

I have used a couple of Govee thermometer hygrometers and the alarm function (through the app) is really hit or miss but the charting is ok. They are pretty inexpensive too.
https://a.co/d/7lQPmoM

E: fixed my link code

Y'know...this looks pretty perfect. I'd be hooking it up to my desktop computer in another room...I'll check it out, thanks!

EDIT--Does it chart any temperature drops/spikes at any time, or do you need to tell it how often to check? If it has to be told how often, what's the minimum amount of time you can set it to?

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Death Valley has been renamed Redneck, I’m sorry. But this still made me lol

A shame, but I hope it works out for her.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Thanks to the Goon who so kindly made a donation to Chickam, I was able to order the equipment needed! You didn't give me permission to out you, so I won't unless you give me the go-ahead...but thanks again! :v:

Chickam lurvs our Goon frends! :stoked:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good luck with the chicks. i'm currently trying to de-broody Lil' Pep so that she can lay her own clutch of eggs to hatch. she's very stubborn. i think i'm just about ready to let anyone who goes broody have some eggs. i have one person who wants banties, and i'm mulling over the idea of hatching some of our standard hen eggs. i understand they'd get Darlin's coloration but keep the mom's size. there are not enough chickens in this valley to satisfy the demand so i'm sure someone would want them. i was going to buy some chick starter ahead of time and the store close to us was already out of stock except for the fancy organic 30 lb bags :/

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Can't believe chickens stopped laying during a very cold time in the year. This must be a conspiracy.
Speaking of, mine just turned back on. We had one girl boss who was laying all winter, but it looks like 4-5 different girls started laying again in the last few days.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ours turned on the egg spout lately as well. Went from nothing to almost 5 dozen lol

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We had another sudden quail injury yesterday. One of the tuxedo chicks was partially scalped. We're not sure if they got caught on something or if it was from one of the others attacking it (but we haven't seen any real aggression, just some casual pecks to establish dominance if one of them gets out of line).

But we brought them to the vet to get patched up and they're doing great! They happened to have a new doctor visiting who specializes in avian medicine, and she did a frankly impressive job with the sutures. They're on cage rest inside for two weeks while they heal up, with daily antibiotics and pain meds.

Doesn't even seem to notice or care they were injured, just making happy quail peeps and eating nonstop.

This one is officially safe for life (after that vet bill, but also we'll inevitably bond over the coming weeks), so they've earned a name: Frankie! Short for Frankenstein's Monster :haw:. Frankie is a very good bird about taking their meds.

After Tammy and Kylo Hen, we really needed a win. I wish it hadn't happened, but I'm happy we were able to save this one.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

#TeamFrankie ❤️

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Got my ChefAlarm today!
And in snazzy purple, too! It comes with a nifty hardshell case.
This unit can be set to a narrow range of high/low temps, and an alarm sounds if the incubator makes any excursion beyond that range. I'm going to calibrate it further to get it down to better than +/-1 degree, but first I have to order a different probe--I thought it came with several, but it only comes with one that is WAY too pointy and long, if I used this one I'd stab the water weasel for SURE. I mean, LOOK at that sucker, I could sit on my couch and stab my next-door neighbor with that thing. Ordered the correct one tonight.
Meanwhile, I'll start checking the ReptiPro tomorrow.

Also, 'Certificate of Conformity'... :v:

Thanks again to our lovely Chickam patron!

Got a kick out of the packet of jelly beans when I unboxed it, it made the kid happy.
Which is great, because the three of us got *another* surprise today... :bravo:

EDIT: The Govee smart thermo-hygrometer arrived today, and after MUCH cussing, has been installed (their user manual is a JOKE). Now to wait and over the next week get things calibrated and pull the extra equipment I don't need.
Doing all this on Covid brain is a load of crap, BTW.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 15, 2023

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i was excited for a second because my brain went PREGNANCY TESTS and then...well

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh dear. Get well soon and take care of yourselves.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

my chickens wish you all a happy valentine's day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sviH5wXmmQI

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my beloved young men have a new enclosure and they DONT EVEN KNOW!!! i'm going to build it tonight/tomorrow but it's a double decker rabbit hutch and i think they'll love it. it's got a nice little set of stairs so they can work off that mealworm fat and a shaded bedroom so they can go to sleep even if whoever's indoors hasn't decided to turn the lights off yet!!!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

excited for all chooks :neckbeard: also delighted to hear that lil' pep is still with us and still fighting the good fight for her right to be broody lmao, as well as frankie's survival

here is moose drying in the sun after a bath

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 16, 2023

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

she looks very content :h:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

she looks very content :h:

:3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:blessed:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Frankie update: They continue to improve day after day! The wound seems to be healing very nicely and there's no oozing or swelling. They've even gotten used to my giving them meds twice a day and don't fight me to keep their beak closed anymore.

In other news, my mother-in-law sent is an anniversary gift....of quail-sized plastic furniture and quail hats that she crocheted.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

it looks like your images failed to attach you should try posting them again soon, need to see these fancy hat birds sitting on their bird couch

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

City of Glompton posted:

it looks like your images failed to attach you should try posting them again soon, need to see these fancy hat birds sitting on their bird couch

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We'll get some photos this weekend.

In the meantime, here's Korben Dallas reading the valentine he received in the mail.

(seriously, the person who named him sent him a card)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In the meantime, here's Korben Dallas reading the valentine he received in the mail.

(seriously, the person who named him sent him a card)

This thread :kimchi: :love:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Action shot.

Robert Smith surveying the land.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Enfys posted:

This thread :kimchi: :love:

:agreed:

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Alterian posted:

Oh my goodness at Robert Smith's entire aesthetic.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"got a snake got a snake got a snake GOT A SNAKE GOT A SNAKE GOT A SNAKE" she cries in breathless joy as she races through the lawn, prize clutched in her beak

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Alterian posted:

Action shot.

my cat is norris posted:

"got a snake got a snake got a snake GOT A SNAKE GOT A SNAKE GOT A SNAKE" she cries in breathless joy as she races through the lawn, prize clutched in her beak

lol

we had a tomato scrap chase yesterday i managed to capture and we were saying to each other "imagine them doing this with a snake!". it could happen, there's a foolish little snake that took up residence under the chicken's sidewalk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7FFcBu3RTk

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Heeeeeeeeeeere's Frankie!

They've healed up so nicely. We're pretty sure a not-insignificant number of feathers just won't grow back, but that's fine. At least they're healthy and happy and if they look a little weird, that's ok.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Alterian posted:

oh i forgot you had a rooster named robert smith! you mentioned him a few posts ago and i thought it was an autocorrect error and made a weird response and am now embarrassed. how could i forget the most handsome king of the abyss

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Heeeeeeeeeeere's Frankie!

glorious frankie :3: may they learn from this misadventure so they can live to a wise old age

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Alterian posted:

How did I miss goth rooster holy poo poo

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the rooster i had, muldoon, looked an awful lot like that. muldoon was also a dick.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had a hawk scare today and he did a great job warning them and getting everyone under the deck. It wasn't our red shoulder family who lives in the yard. I didn't get a great look, but it had a dark gray head and maybe a white belly. I was able to get the dogs out to fully scare it away.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...
Now that it's Spring again my rooster is back to Matrix-like wild acrobatics and tries to stab me as many times as he can after I open up the coop every morning.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We have at least one boy! Last night I heard the first crow from the hens' hutch. I know it was a new one because we had relocated Zapdos to the bachelor pad because he was getting kind of rape-y. I'm going to guess another male suddenly crowing is the reason he suddenly changed his behavior (he was in there because he's our gentlest, best-behaved rooster and we wanted those genes passed on).

Frankie's done with meds after the final dose before bed tonight. We let them out on the catio (after closing it off to cats) with two other hatchmates to get some exercise and socialization. They all seemed to really enjoy that.

The skin's almost completely healed now. The sutures should start dissolving and falling out soon. They have become a very social bird who will sit with us in the living room for tv time.

At least until something unexpected happens....

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
We have a falb fee bird that looks like a standard pharoah, only grey instead of brown. We're pretty sure they are a girl because they have a speckled chest instead of solid white/red.

For a ground bird, they want to be on my shoulder all the time. If I pick them up they run up my arm or jump to my shoulder, and if I take them off, they run right back up. They'll sit there for hours if I let them. Lately I have been sitting on the screened in lanai and they watch me play Pokemon on my Switch.

Naming them Silverbolt.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

quail are tiny stupid angels

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You are their favourite perch. :3:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Frankie is all healed! Just had his recheck and they just removed one sticky stitch but everything else looks beautiful.

Unfortunately we happened to have an identical injury today on my mom's favorite bird she named Striper :negative:

He'll be ok. He's getting patched up now. But we've now isolated the boys of the new hatching inside the coop of the bachelor pad with the other roosters. Those older boys are out in their yard area, so we can let them chill in adjacent enclosures that way for a few days to mellow out and avoid any further aggression.

We're pretty sure there's one problem bird who's just a giant rear end in a top hat. He'll be the first one to go to "freezer camp" as quail youtube channels like to call it. But now that they're split up we'll move Zapdos back in with the ladies since the other boys bully him a little (no serious injury, they're just dicks), and possibly Frankie so he can get used to the hutch again but not with a bunch of angry boys.....plus we just have the one small hospital cage, keeping him inside with Striper isn't realistic anyway.

Everyone's also treated with a peck-no-more gel to discourage this. Hopefully that'll be the end of it. We had none of this aggression with our last hatching, it's a bit shocking. Maybe because it's a larger number of birds or we already had some full grown hens....they're only 6 weeks old! Barely old enough to be crowing, let alone vent sex them reliably. We might have a late bloomer still, but one rooster hitting quail puberty is fine with the other guys removed from the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Frankie is livin it up with his harem and Striper is healing up beautifully!

In other news, we finally definitively sexed our flock and have named our hens: