Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you look down to type or???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

nom epique posted:

Hey y’all does the Magic Keyboard drain the iPad faster? Got the latest air over here and the battery life is kind of fail for an Apple product tbqh

I’ve never noticed any noticeable drain, but I’m usually somewhere bright enough the backlight isn’t on. Screen brightness and anything CPU heavy are the biggest offenders.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

nom epique posted:

Hey y’all does the Magic Keyboard drain the iPad faster? Got the latest air over here and the battery life is kind of fail for an Apple product tbqh

If the ipad itself is brand new, it might be doing background things with your apps/icloud account/etc for the first few days. Generally the battery on iPads should last you a good couple of days assuming you're not constantly playing demanding games or whatever.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I’ve never noticed any noticeable drain, but I’m usually somewhere bright enough the backlight isn’t on. Screen brightness and anything CPU heavy are the biggest offenders.

I may be confused but doesn’t the backlight need to be brighter when you’re in brighter environments, not the other way around?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Last Chance posted:

I may be confused but doesn’t the backlight need to be brighter when you’re in brighter environments, not the other way around?

Yes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably don't need a backlight in full sun though, as everything will be nicely illuminated.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That's what i thought but..

xzzy posted:

Probably don't need a backlight in full sun though, as everything will be nicely illuminated.

huh? doesn't the backlight setting usually automatically go as high as it can go when you're in full sun because whatever LCD tech iPad uses for its screens is hard to see in full sun?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 27, 2023

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Last Chance posted:

huh? doesn't the backlight setting usually automatically go as high as it can go when you're in full sun because whatever LCD tech iPad uses for its screens is hard to see in full sun?

It was the backlighting on the Magic Keyboard that was in question, not the brightness of the iPad screen itself, and the idea that you don't really need brightly lit keys if you're already somewhere well-lit.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ohh buh, sorry ! Reading comprehension is good

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Sorry to bother everyone here, I'm basically at my wits end because my daughter can't keep track of anything and I'm obsessive if I have to look for something.

My daughter has/had a 3rd Generation iPad Air and I've been combing the house looking for it but to no avail, and her being a kid the thing lived off perpetual almost dead battery.

I am guessing at this point it is long dead, but rather than kill my sanity looking for what may not be even here, is there any way I can see its last known location? I tried the Find iPad link but it says if it's been offline for more than 24 hours it won't show up, is there any other way to show that it was here or find out its last location was some gas station?

Thanks for any advice.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not that I know of.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

target is having a sale(?) on the ipad mini 6 and i'm thinking about getting it. i know it's not an m1/m2 chip and there are rumors about a refresh happening towards the end of the year but i'm fine with getting it and just trading it in if the m1/m2 is worth it later on. i'm mainly getting it because i need the smaller form factor.

anyways, does anyone use their ipad as an ebook reader? how quickly do your eyes get tired reading from it?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Honestly if you want to read books, just get an ereader. The reading experience is so much nicer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Strong Sauce posted:

target is having a sale(?) on the ipad mini 6 and i'm thinking about getting it. i know it's not an m1/m2 chip and there are rumors about a refresh happening towards the end of the year but i'm fine with getting it and just trading it in if the m1/m2 is worth it later on. i'm mainly getting it because i need the smaller form factor.

anyways, does anyone use their ipad as an ebook reader? how quickly do your eyes get tired reading from it?

I read most of the walking dead on a mini 2. It was pretty good even though the backlight was kind of obnoxious by current standards.

But like, I look at screens of various sizes nearly constantly and my eyes don’t get tired so maybe I’m a bad sample. :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I use it for reading manga, the forums, and discord every day, does that count? But no, my eyes don't get tired, possibly because I leave TruTone on, so it automatically adjusts the brightness down in dark areas.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

As long as I use dark mode with white text on a black background, no eye strain at all. The ‘normal’ black text on white, pretty quickly.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

I read a lot more since i got my 11' ipad and I don't find I get any eye strain at all - as the person above said there are display modes that are much easier on the eyes. But if that's your only major use for the thing, you're much better off just buying an ereader.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I use my iPad Mini 6 for digital comic books i get from the library. It rules

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

anothergod posted:

I use my iPad Mini 6 for digital comic books i get from the library. It rules

The Hoopla app was a good rec from a friend of mine

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

using it as a ebook reader isn't my main reason for owning it. i'm buying it to consume media (duh) but also seeing if i can stop lugging around my old macbook when i fly for vacation. the only thing i feel like the ipad can't replace is that i have to run some tasks that i need a full mac/pc to run. i'm in the process of offloading that now to either aws or some other service so if that goes well i'll be taking the ipad instead.

i take a train trip every 2-3 weeks that is 1hour each way so in that time i'll either watch video or try to eliminate my long backlog of books i want to read. thanks for everyone's input. i'm going to check the ipad out tomorrow to take a look and buy it if there's no immediate issues.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

imo an ipad absolutely sucks poo poo compared to an eink reader for fiction, but is much better for cookbooks, reference or anything in PDF format, because you can flip pages much faster, pan and zoom, and copy/paste text out

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like the iPad for reading sometimes because the bigger screen means I can take off my glasses and crank the font size up without getting reduced to a sentence per page turn.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

using it as a ebook reader isn't my main reason for owning it. i'm buying it to consume media (duh) but also seeing if i can stop lugging around my old macbook when i fly for vacation. the only thing i feel like the ipad can't replace is that i have to run some tasks that i need a full mac/pc to run. i'm in the process of offloading that now to either aws or some other service so if that goes well i'll be taking the ipad instead.

i take a train trip every 2-3 weeks that is 1hour each way so in that time i'll either watch video or try to eliminate my long backlog of books i want to read. thanks for everyone's input. i'm going to check the ipad out tomorrow to take a look and buy it if there's no immediate issues.

Yeah it's really good for watchin stuff. The pro is by far the best looking screen I own and I'm sure the mini is also up there.

Also as someone said, just perfect for any kinds of books that aren't just pure text (cookbooks, reference, comics). It makes running D&D games a ton easier, if that's your thing.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The pro is the best smart TV.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Have a 11" M2 Pro on the way and was looking into getting a Magic Keyboard to go with it and was wondering if anyone has any experience using it in prone in bed? That's my favorite way to use an iPad, but I'm just wondering how sturdy it would be for typing in that position?

I use my current iPad for Discord and forums a lot, and trying to type with the on screen keyboard drives me slightly mad.

My main computing is done on my Windows PC so this is more of a would be nice than a have to have.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Have a 11" M2 Pro on the way and was looking into getting a Magic Keyboard to go with it and was wondering if anyone has any experience using it in prone in bed? That's my favorite way to use an iPad, but I'm just wondering how sturdy it would be for typing in that position?

I use my current iPad for Discord and forums a lot, and trying to type with the on screen keyboard drives me slightly mad.

My main computing is done on my Windows PC so this is more of a would be nice than a have to have.

As long as you have a reasonably firm bed with isolated suspension (pocket coils) it'll be fine.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

As long as you have a reasonably firm bed with isolated suspension (pocket coils) it'll be fine.

Yeah sounds great thanks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
AT&T is finally killing the old grandfathered-in unlimited data plan they had for like two months when the iPad was first released, and is converting us to the 50GB/month plan. Not that I come near that much these days anyway now that I work from home but still, feh.

(The grandfathered plan carried over when we bought new iPads, so the dozen of us who have kept the plan active this whole time have in theory had unlimited data, though I think they throttled it after x number of GB/mo.)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tayter Swift posted:

AT&T is finally killing the old grandfathered-in unlimited data plan they had for like two months when the iPad was first released, and is converting us to the 50GB/month plan. Not that I come near that much these days anyway now that I work from home but still, feh.

(The grandfathered plan carried over when we bought new iPads, so the dozen of us who have kept the plan active this whole time have in theory had unlimited data, though I think they throttled it after x number of GB/mo.)

And?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

If you have the $30 a month add on OG ATT iPad unlimited plan from almost 10 years ago, loving kudos for keeping it so long.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have the $30 a month add on OG ATT iPad unlimited plan from almost 10 years ago, loving kudos for keeping it so long.

12 years!

Not gonna lie, it was super useful in the Before Times when it gave me unfettered access to YouTube and everything else during 90 minutes of train-bound commute, lunch break, music during work and a couple hours at the dog park most of the year. Nowadays... yeah.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Silly issue that I can't fix....

How do I make my iPad audibly ring when I get a phone call? Currently, it alerts, but it is silent. So unless I can hear my phone ringing in the other room or I am looking at my iPad's screen, I will miss the call. My iPad otherwise functions and plays sounds and everything perfectly as expected.

I feel like at some point I purposely silenced the sound but I want it back on now...

Things I've checked:
* Settings -> Notifications -> FaceTime (since there isn't a "Phone" option like iPhone has) -> Sounds -> On
* Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone and Alert volume -> Set to medium
* Settings -> Sounds -> Change with buttons -> On (I've called myself and used the rocker switches to raise and lower the volume while my iPad is "ringing", and it doesn't cause any sound to be made)
* Settings -> FaceTime -> Notifications -> Sounds -> On (this looks like the same setting above)
* Focus Modes -> Whether turned on or off, make no difference
* Control Center -> Silent Mode -> Off (but also toggled it on and off to troubleshoot).

Short of resetting the device, any where else I can look?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

dexter6 posted:

How do I make my iPad audibly ring when I get a phone call? Currently, it alerts, but it is silent. So unless I can hear my phone ringing in the other room or I am looking at my iPad's screen, I will miss the call. My iPad otherwise functions and plays sounds and everything perfectly as expected.

I feel like at some point I purposely silenced the sound but I want it back on now...

Things I've checked:
* Settings -> Notifications -> FaceTime (since there isn't a "Phone" option like iPhone has) -> Sounds -> On
* Settings -> Sounds -> Change with buttons -> On (I've called myself and used the rocker switches to raise and lower the volume while my iPad is "ringing", and it doesn't cause any sound to be made)
* Settings -> FaceTime -> Notifications -> Sounds -> On (this looks like the same setting above)
* Control Center -> Silent Mode -> Off (but also toggled it on and off to troubleshoot).

On iPad:
- Settings > FaceTime > Calls from IPhone set to ON
- Settings > FaceTime > FaceTime set to ON

On iPhone:
- Settings > Phone > Calls on other devices > Allow calls on other devices set to ON > allow calls on *devices of choice*

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 16, 2023

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Things I've checked:

Have you checked which ringtone you’ve set in the Sounds setting? If there isn’t an assigned ringtone, no sounds will be made:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I picked up an old iPad Air 2 at an estate sale. I turned it on and reset it, but it's locked using iCloud. Have any of you had success getting Apple to unlock an old device? I have an invoice from the auctionhouse as a proof of purchase, but I'm assuming the original purchaser isn't around to give me a receipt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

I picked up an old iPad Air 2 at an estate sale. I turned it on and reset it, but it's locked using iCloud. Have any of you had success getting Apple to unlock an old device? I have an invoice from the auctionhouse as a proof of purchase, but I'm assuming the original purchaser isn't around to give me a receipt.

You could try but you’ll probably be SOL

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Well Played Mauer posted:

Yeah you’d need to be the original purchaser with the original receipt. Sorry friend.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

On iPad:
- Settings > FaceTime > Calls from IPhone set to ON
- Settings > FaceTime > FaceTime set to ON

On iPhone:
- Settings > Phone > Calls on other devices > Allow calls on other devices set to ON > allow calls on *devices of choice*
Yes, those are all set. The calls are coming to my iPad as expected, there just is no audible ring tone on the iPad.

Last Chance posted:

Have you checked which ringtone you’ve set in the Sounds setting? If there isn’t an assigned ringtone, no sounds will be made:

Yep, this is set to "Reflection (default)"

:(

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ended up canceling the 11" pro and getting the big pro. The draw of the better screen lured me in. Need it for all my professional work like watching YouTube and reading comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Ended up canceling the 11" pro and getting the big pro. The draw of the better screen lured me in. Need it for all my professional work like watching YouTube and reading comics.

As a large pro haver since it was introduced it’s hella worth it.

If they made a 14 I’d probably upgrade tbh