Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Basically the entire service sector in Northern Ontario are recent immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

COPE 27 posted:

Basically the entire service sector in Northern Ontario are recent immigrants.

And how many of them are Permanent Residents?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I don't check their SINS but I've seen a lot of the same guys for like 5+ years

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

COPE 27 posted:

I don't check their SINS but I've seen a lot of the same guys for like 5+ years

Ok. What I'm basically saying is that while people can probably go on all day about how they know these remote places that have an immigrant or two, because assuming they did in fact uproot themselves to move across the world so they could tend bar in Moose Jaw, that type of immigrant is so far outside of the norm that it's basically not worth considering. We bring in like 500k people every year. They aren't moving to armpit Ontario in their droves, and it won't make a lick of difference how cheap the housing is because housing isn't the primary reason people immigrate to Canada. If it got so expensive where it was impossible to survive in the big cities, the majority of people would just stop coming to Canada at all.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

qhat posted:

People aren't moving to Canada because you can buy a $400k house 15mins outside of Saskatoon. They are moving here generally for a whole host of economic and social reasons, but cheap housing generally isn't first on the list. The big cities are the places that have the biggest guarantee of being able to find the job you want for a high salary, make friends easily, and immerse themselves in the country's culture. If for whatever reason the country decided to outright ban immigrants from settling in the big cities for a period of time (yes I've heard this being seriously suggested by absolute morons on twitter), immigrants wouldn't just stop moving to the big cities, they would stop moving to Canada period.

I see your point, but I don’t fully agree with it. I think a lot of immigrants come to Canada because they simply see it as a preferable place to where they came from. Most of the immigrants in Saskatoon come from the Philippines, India, or Pakistan, and most of them moved here because they simply see it as a place that’s preferable to where they came from. And for most of them, there isn’t amy draw to living in cities that have already priced them out.

I agree that it’s different with certain high-skill immigrants, especially when they’re coming from other major centres, but I don’t think that comprises the majority of Canadian immigrants.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

bub spank posted:

I see your point, but I don’t fully agree with it. I think a lot of immigrants come to Canada because they simply see it as a preferable place to where they came from. Most of the immigrants in Saskatoon come from the Philippines, India, or Pakistan, and most of them moved here because they simply see it as a place that’s preferable to where they came from. And for most of them, there isn’t amy draw to living in cities that have already priced them out.

I agree that it’s different with certain high-skill immigrants, especially when they’re coming from other major centres, but I don’t think that comprises the majority of Canadian immigrants.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/221026/dq221026a-eng.htm

Quite literally the majority of new immigrants go to those three cities alone. They go to those cities because of the "existing social networks, economic and employment opportunities and enjoy the general appeal of the area". 40% is anywhere that isn't explicitly those cities, less than 10% is small urban or rural.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's the project that just got approved in Victoria. It's downright transformative of this part of downtown called Harris Green. It will be replacing an abandoned auto dealership lot and a downtown strip mall that is currently home to the busiest london drugs in the chain and upmarket grocery store.

It will be built in 3 phases. The first phase are the 2 towers closest to us in the shot along Cook St. Then beyond are the 3 much larger towers going on the old strip mall block which are divided into 2 large podium of phase 2 and 3. The next 2 phases will happen in a way that lets the existing LD and grocery store seamlessly move in as they're both important neighbourhood retail.

Victoria has a brand new council and this was their first public hearing. I've been following housing in Victoria since the early 2000's and part of the budding "yimby" movement (before we even had a name for it) and I'm used to ANY project having a majority of fussy old nimby's coming out to decy it. Victoria's culture has radically changed since 2005 as the public hearing was an avalanche of support. People spoke in person, via phone, or through prerecorded videos and it was about 80% supportive. There was a start generation divide. The supporters tended to be younger folk, students desperate for rentals, 30-somethings that work downtown but can't find housing downtown and hate their commute, you name it. The opponents were universally old rich retired homeowners that didn't even live remotely near the project but just hate the idea of density and tall buildings. Most rambled on conspiracy theory poo poo about how there's no real housing shortage, why can't people just move to regina and not over-develop their beloved quaint village, and how building more housing is proven to actually raise rents.

The fact that the vote passed 8-1 is shocking too as our election gave us 3 pretty hardcore right-nimby councilors. But the project is so important all but one of them voted to support it.

The only point of contention is a very last min amendment made by one councilor to actually mandate a REDUCTION in parking, saying this much parking downtown is not at all in line with our climate goals. The amendment passed 5-4 with one of the left-yimby councilors voting against saying he agreed we need less parking, but he didn't want to do anything to risk derailing the project. There's some slight fears now that the mandated reduction in parking might make it somehow unviable for the developer, but I have no doubt there isn't a massive demand for no-parking downtown rentals in Victoria and if anything the reduced parking burden should make the developer happy.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

qhat posted:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/221026/dq221026a-eng.htm

Quite literally the majority of new immigrants go to those three cities alone. They go to those cities because of the "existing social networks, economic and employment opportunities and enjoy the general appeal of the area". 40% is anywhere that isn't explicitly those cities, less than 10% is small urban or rural.

I mean, the discussion we're having is about how immigrants will begin moving to smaller centres if they get priced out of the 3 big Canadian hubs, and literally two paragraphs up from what you quoted, the same report discusses how that's an ongoing trend:

quote:

However, the share of recent immigrants who have settled in Canada's three largest urban centres continued to decline, falling from 56.0% in 2016 to 53.4% in 2021—with the most pronounced decrease in Montréal, where the share went from 14.8% in 2016 to 12.2% in 2021.

In contrast, an increasing number of recent immigrants have settled outside these key urban centres, strengthening population growth in urban centres outside Canada's three largest CMAs.

And then further down in the report:

quote:

The fact that recent immigrants are increasingly choosing to settle outside of the large urban centres of Toronto, Montréal and Vancouver may partly reflect the higher shelter and housing costs and availability in these cities, as Toronto and Vancouver reported the highest rates of unaffordable housing in the 2021 Census.
Other possible factors for the shift in settlement patterns of immigrants include changes in regional economic conditions, immigration programs and source countries of immigrants

At this point it kind of feels like we're arguing past each other.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 17, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So the share of immigrants settling in Toronto and Vancouver dropped from 41.2% in 2016 to ... 41.2% in 2021?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Let the torrent of "Oops I got a variable rate mortgage in 2022" schadenfreude begin.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Amazing that they come from a country with double digit interest rates and they don’t understand the impact interest rates can have on a mortgage payment.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Also lmao at 2 financed cars 2 pets and existing renovation debt and one of them is “engineer in training” whatever that means. These morons are just asking to get rinsed so yeah gently caress them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

qhat posted:

Also lmao at 2 financed cars 2 pets and existing renovation debt and one of them is “engineer in training” whatever that means. These morons are just asking to get rinsed so yeah gently caress them.

They were both engineers in Brazil, so it's probably some sort of qualifications upgrading.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

2 car payments at $1100/month (I realize morons can sign up to pay even more, but still that's nutso) and they're whining about how unfair $350/month in property taxes is. lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Also those numbers for take home pay don’t add up. If one person is earning 140k the take home is $7919. One of them basically isn’t working.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
My take home pay is about as much as theirs and I sure as hell would not spend that much in a month.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh man, every one of the CBC related links is a crack ping.

2023 could be an ugly year for homeowners caught between higher rates, falling prices
They purchased homes right before the real estate downturn. Now, they're struggling to close
Nearly 1 in 4 homeowners say they'd have to sell home if interest rates rise more, according to survey
Canadian households now owe $1.83 for every dollar of disposable income they have

... but the piece de resistance:

This GTA condo owner says he's struggling 'to make ends meet' as tenant won't pay $20K in rent:

quote:

A Mississauga landlord says he's fed up with the bureaucratic gridlock that's held up an eviction order for almost six months while his tenant, who owes him about $20,000, lives rent-free in his condo.

Joe Roberto says he was told at his Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) hearing back in August that he would soon be issued an eviction order, which he could then give to his delinquent tenant. She hasn't paid rent in more than a year, Roberto says, leaving him to pay for the condo's mortgage, maintenance fees and property taxes — on top of his own household expenses.

"I don't sleep at night, I don't eat," said Roberto, who is a home inspector and a married father of two.

"And if I do eat, I eat basic stuff just to be able to be able to make ends meet."

Roberto said the tenant moved in in 2020, and by October, 2021 had stopped paying her rent — about $1,800 a month — on the condo located on Southampton Drive near Eglinton Avenue West and Winston Churchill Boulevard. He had an LTB hearing in late August, 2022, at which time he says he was told verbally by the adjudicator that he would be issued an eviction.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

It’s really pretty disgusting that they expect you to pay things like “property taxes” when you own a home. It’s a real shame there’s no way to find out about that until the first bill comes due.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
That budget makes no sense, where are the groceries?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cold on a Cob posted:

That budget makes no sense, where are the groceries?

The article says they're spending their savings on groceries. Why they're excluded from expenses or why the stupid accounting doesn't put renovations as the expense paid for by savings is anyone's guess.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I have a solution for their transportation costing them $1,100 a month:

quote:

Citipass – unlimited ridership

Best option if you plan to ride more than 43 times (excluding transfers) in a month

[...]

Assuming they cut their auto loans by half, they'd have an extra $455 available. Problem solved.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

eXXon posted:

The article says they're spending their savings on groceries. Why they're excluded from expenses or why the stupid accounting doesn't put renovations as the expense paid for by savings is anyone's guess.

Oops, missed that. Odd that the reporter didn't include it to show how hosed they are.

qhat posted:

Also those numbers for take home pay don’t add up. If one person is earning 140k the take home is $7919. One of them basically isn’t working.

I'm re-reading now and it says their family income is 140k.

Lain Iwakura posted:

I have a solution for their transportation costing them $1,100 a month:

Assuming they cut their auto loans by half, they'd have an extra $455 available. Problem solved.

Excuse me these people didn't move all the way to Canada to take the bus like poor people :rolleye:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canada Housing Megathread: Nobody wants to be a landlord anymore

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm re-reading now and it says their family income is 140k.

That's what I mean. If you split that income between two people evenly, you get 8.8k a month take home. If only one person is earning then the take home is almost exactly 8k, which is the number they are citing. So there's some bullshitting going on here.

qhat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 17, 2023

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

src: BC Landlords FB Group

Main takeaway; 99% of landlords are lying through their teeth.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

These articles must be a huge win. Portray the subjects sympathetically and everyone on all sides share it around to gawk “can you believe this?!” whether you think they’re idiots or hard done by.

qhat posted:

“engineer in training” whatever that means

This is a thing, it’s the title you’re required to use when working as engineer who hasn’t yet got their P Eng designation. It’s what you have to call yourself fresh out of school until you have the requisite experience, so not really surprising that a recent immigrant would be waiting on some part of the process to get to P Eng.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

kaom posted:

These articles must be a huge win. Portray the subjects sympathetically and everyone on all sides share it around to gawk “can you believe this?!” whether you think they’re idiots or hard done by.

This is a thing, it’s the title you’re required to use when working as engineer who hasn’t yet got their P Eng designation. It’s what you have to call yourself fresh out of school until you have the requisite experience, so not really surprising that a recent immigrant would be waiting on some part of the process to get to P Eng.

Yeah, I was about to say. An E.I.T. is essentially the "apprenticeship" before becoming P. Eng.

Thankfully, coders have appropriated the language of "engineers" and "architects" - which are professional designations.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Here's the project that just got approved in Victoria. It's downright transformative of this part of downtown called Harris Green. It will be replacing an abandoned auto dealership lot and a downtown strip mall that is currently home to the busiest london drugs in the chain and upmarket grocery store.

It will be built in 3 phases. The first phase are the 2 towers closest to us in the shot along Cook St. Then beyond are the 3 much larger towers going on the old strip mall block which are divided into 2 large podium of phase 2 and 3. The next 2 phases will happen in a way that lets the existing LD and grocery store seamlessly move in as they're both important neighbourhood retail.

Victoria has a brand new council and this was their first public hearing. I've been following housing in Victoria since the early 2000's and part of the budding "yimby" movement (before we even had a name for it) and I'm used to ANY project having a majority of fussy old nimby's coming out to decy it. Victoria's culture has radically changed since 2005 as the public hearing was an avalanche of support. People spoke in person, via phone, or through prerecorded videos and it was about 80% supportive. There was a start generation divide. The supporters tended to be younger folk, students desperate for rentals, 30-somethings that work downtown but can't find housing downtown and hate their commute, you name it. The opponents were universally old rich retired homeowners that didn't even live remotely near the project but just hate the idea of density and tall buildings. Most rambled on conspiracy theory poo poo about how there's no real housing shortage, why can't people just move to regina and not over-develop their beloved quaint village, and how building more housing is proven to actually raise rents.

The fact that the vote passed 8-1 is shocking too as our election gave us 3 pretty hardcore right-nimby councilors. But the project is so important all but one of them voted to support it.

The only point of contention is a very last min amendment made by one councilor to actually mandate a REDUCTION in parking, saying this much parking downtown is not at all in line with our climate goals. The amendment passed 5-4 with one of the left-yimby councilors voting against saying he agreed we need less parking, but he didn't want to do anything to risk derailing the project. There's some slight fears now that the mandated reduction in parking might make it somehow unviable for the developer, but I have no doubt there isn't a massive demand for no-parking downtown rentals in Victoria and if anything the reduced parking burden should make the developer happy.

Yeah, Victoria is doing really cool things. Very recently, they approved their extremely ambitious Missing Middle initiative, upzoning thousands of properties for small-scale multi-family housing late last month.

:unsmith:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
what the world really needs is more landlords

can you imagine a world without landlords?

*shudders*

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
when is cbc going to run stories about all these people that can finally afford their own home after prices have fallen 30%?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RBC posted:

when is cbc going to run stories about all these people that can finally afford their own home after prices have fallen 30%?

Waiting for all the headlines about "the wrong kind of people moving into my neighborhood".

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

$1800 a month on car poo poo holy poo poo man.

Hey maybe we could build some apartments near where people work and shop and people could just walk and bike most the time, and not spend a fortune sinking their money into cars.

Sorry sorry I know that's impossible.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria has a brand new council and this was their first public hearing. I've been following housing in Victoria since the early 2000's and part of the budding "yimby" movement (before we even had a name for it) and I'm used to ANY project having a majority of fussy old nimby's coming out to decy it. Victoria's culture has radically changed since 2005 as the public hearing was an avalanche of support.

Cool to hear. It does feel like there's a mild inflection point occurring where the reactionary anti-housing forces are losing energy.

This is in some ways one of the "easiest" sorts of projects to pass given that it's replacing a car lot and not those precious SFH zones, but nonetheless, I think the scale is such that it still feels like a big positive accomplishment and a big step forward.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Hubbert posted:

Yeah, Victoria is doing really cool things. Very recently, they approved their extremely ambitious Missing Middle initiative, upzoning thousands of properties for small-scale multi-family housing late last month.

:unsmith:

Get back to me when the "missing middle initiative" doesn't turn out to be "i turned my million dollar sfh with a yard into two million dollar townhomes with no yard"

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

large hands posted:

Get back to me when the "missing middle initiative" doesn't turn out to be "i turned my million dollar sfh with a yard into two million dollar townhomes with no yard"

:smith:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

From Vancouver's current consultation on it's Missing Middle scheme.

Presumably the outcomes for Victoria will be similar. What scale and floor space ratios are they proposing there?

From the posted Victoria article.

quote:

Those against the initiative — Chris Coleman, Marg Gardiner and Stephen Hammond — said the initiative is flawed, will do nothing to address affordability and affect green space.

Coleman said the missing middle does not address affordability.

“Clearly this is going to create some more units, but my suspicion because of land cost is they’re going to be at the upper end,” he said.

Coleman is right. The point of this is to add some more units and they won't be affordable because at the multiplex/townhome scale, you're not subdividing the land by that much.

A solution to this would be to allow dramatically larger apartment buildings instead of just like... four units.

Somehow I have a feeling he wouldn't be in support of that idea.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

With an income of a mere $326,000, you too can afford a duplex!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Yeah, what is with those numbers?! Even the fourplex with 20% down requires family income of 235k, isn’t that like top 5% or something?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

$1800 a month on car poo poo holy poo poo man.

Hey maybe we could build some apartments near where people work and shop and people could just walk and bike most the time, and not spend a fortune sinking their money into cars.

Sorry sorry I know that's impossible.

Apparently the hot new right-wing conspiracy is that the attempt to provide this -- 15-minute cities -- is actually a grand plan to STEAL YOU ARE FREEDOM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

RBC posted:

I doubt those people exist as mortgage costs have gone up faster than prices have declined.