Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

I think their lack of time and passion mirrors my own at this phase of life, I don't think I could listen to another podcast where people were more informed because it would just make me jealous

Interestingly this is why I did enjoy listening a lot of the time. I really appreciated Justin's take on Metroid Prime. It was my favorite game ever when I played it in high school, and I'm enjoying it a lot this time around too, but since my time is more precious now I also have a newfound annoyance about design that purposefully wastes a player's time . Metroid Prime has some clunky backtracking that a few shortcuts would alleviate. Like Justin, I also got annoyed at the chamber that was overgrown with vines for no reason other than to make you go the long way around.

However, the VR discussion was just plain bad - they got material facts wrong and made crazy leaps of judgement, like Russ claiming "most people won't be able to play Horizon" due to motion sickness when only a slim minority of reviewers mentioned feeling sick. VR motion sickness is a real thing, but it's weird for Russ to extrapolate his personal experience to "most people".

They also called it an "incremental upgrade" while not mentioning any of the insane new advantages like foveated rendering, OLED 4k, inside-out tracking, etc.

I get it, all four of them are sour on VR for various reasons, but it felt like none of them had any idea what they were talking about and I wish they had just skipped this discussion entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Whenever Shlebetheny isn't on screen, all the McElroys should be asking "where's Shlebetheny?"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sockser posted:

Whenever Shlebetheny isn't on screen, all the McElroys should be asking "where's Shlebetheny?"

:agreed:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Harriet Carker posted:

I think I’m done with The Besties. I’ve enjoyed it for a long time because of the humor and banter but for two current and two former professional game journalists (lol) they are all so remarkably uninformed about games. I know they are busy but I’m tired of hearing half-baked discussions about games some of them only played for a few hours.

This week’s discussion about the PSVR2 was full of misinformation and shows none of them did even a minute of research about it. Russ got things wrong that were in the Polygon review!

Plus they apparently missed the big AAA release from a couple of weeks ago entirely!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sockser posted:

if they don't keep her as a side character/resource for the rest of this arc they're absolutely the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

"oh no Shlebethany killed gravel and now she's the mentor of the team oh noooooooooooo"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

more falafel please posted:

if they don't keep her as a side character/resource for the rest of this arc they're absolutely the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet

I fistpumped when Justin revealed that Schlabethany was a criminal named Shoebox because it was such an obvious setup for having her show up again later.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Please god if they keep her around do not give her some sympathetic backstory. Just let her be a giant loving shitbird for no drat reason.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Shlebethany's tragic backstory:
She's from New Jersey

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I like the Besties a lot but bad VR discussion does annoy me, so yeah I might skip that segment

Otherwise I enjoy the casual dad-level conversation about games

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That like 5 minute discussion about the Avatar movies was pretty funny. Clint should show up on MBMBAM every now and then, bring some new energy to the boys.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Warbird posted:

Please god if they keep her around do not give her some sympathetic backstory. Just let her be a giant loving shitbird for no drat reason.

shitbird with a heart of gold is fine but yeah I want her to have had a charmed life and just be Like That

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Harriet Carker posted:

two former professional game journalists

Justin famously wrote the worst review on the planet

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Plant and Frushtick could watch a cutscene explicitly saying what's going on and then ask what's going on and then complain it's not a card battler.

I'm only partially joking here.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
VR still sucks and deserves to be half-assedly reviewed by people who have better things to do with their time

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

goblin week posted:

Which one is that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AndrewP posted:

Which one is that

assuming its his review of the original Nier where he ragequit the game because he didn't pay attention to the minimap telling him where to go to do a side quest

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

He was right tho, game sucked

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

goblin week posted:

I feel like the worst review on the planet was from his Polygon peer who hated rock music and took it out on Rock Band.

grittyreboot fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 19, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nier was a masterpiece and if Justin was too stupid to figure out the map and/or fishing then that's on him

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

grittyreboot posted:

I feel like the worst review on the planet was
i'm sure we could go round and round on this topic but I have a soft spot for Quinns from Rock Paper Shotgun and his review about how Fallout: New Vegas was "phoning it in"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sivart13 posted:

i'm sure we could go round and round on this topic but I have a soft spot for Quinns from Rock Paper Shotgun and his review about how Fallout: New Vegas was "phoning it in"

quote:

In my whole time with New Vegas, I found nothing as architecturally entertaining as Megaton, and nothing as eerie or inventive as Little Lamplight.

What the gently caress?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
There's always the infamous 5.9 review for Alien: Isolation from IGN.

But Justin's take that Avengers is the second-best superhero game of all time behind Spider-Man is still up there.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

Ha - I only know him from Shut Up Sit Down, I didn't know he wrote video game reviews.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

Haha, honestly his review hits some good points, but a great example of missing the forest for the trees

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Nobody's life was improved by being really invested in video game reviews, outside of people whose paychecks depend on them.

For as much as Giant Bomb is and will remain a shell of its former self, there were very smart to stick to only reviewing games for which they felt they could say something interesting in the review.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Eleventh Hour is huge. No wonder it took longer to produce.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Eleventh Hour book is very very good.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The first two minutes of every episode of Steeplechase are always the funniest. The rest of the show is funny too, I'm just saying, I'm really invested in the Nanofather Saga at this point. (and today's Steepie Watch made me laugh out loud; love a good podcasting audio gag)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Alaois posted:

assuming its his review of the original Nier where he ragequit the game because he didn't pay attention to the minimap telling him where to go to do a side quest

this is why in the remake they added dialogue to explicitly point out where you're supposed to go fishing for the quest

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

timp posted:

The first two minutes of every episode of Steeplechase are always the funniest. The rest of the show is funny too, I'm just saying, I'm really invested in the Nanofather Saga at this point. (and today's Steepie Watch made me laugh out loud; love a good podcasting audio gag)

Justin is demented and it's great

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sockser posted:

Eleventh Hour book is very very good.

I should get back to looking for a copy of the Petals book, I somehow picked up the Crystal Kingdom book without picking up Petals so I haven't actually read the former yet :goleft:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Daniel Day Lewis is a big get

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That segment is even funnier when you know Daniel Day Lewis is a tatted up fuckboi type IRL and his son is a SoundCloud rapper

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lmao the swerve at the end of this taz

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Son of a bitch this campaign's banging all over the place. Justin's really weaponizing his holier-than-thou affectations for this worn-down artificial fantasy-with-the-gilding-coming-off world and it is fantastic.

Especially with that drat swerve at the end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Playing the hits baby

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jesus.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I am wildly excited for this heist