Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Nvm

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 11:41 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Nvm

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Feb 15, 2023

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I've been taking walks recently and it's really boosted my mood.

Like I had a bad(ish) night a couple days ago where I had anxiety and it kept me up. So I got five hours of some pretty rough sleep. Then I wake up, shave, shower and decide to take a walk. I come back feeling energized like I haven't been in a while.

I wish I could walk more but it's kind of cold outside and my feet can't really take walking every day like I used to. But I can do about two to four miles every other day.

I've been recently diagnosed with ADHD. I've been wondering how to handle it now that I know what my problem is. And exercise really seems to help because I feel like my executive function is up with exercise. So I'm going to try and keep going with it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I've been taking walks recently and it's really boosted my mood.

Like I had a bad(ish) night a couple days ago where I had anxiety and it kept me up. So I got five hours of some pretty rough sleep. Then I wake up, shave, shower and decide to take a walk. I come back feeling energized like I haven't been in a while.

I wish I could walk more but it's kind of cold outside and my feet can't really take walking every day like I used to. But I can do about two to four miles every other day.

I've been recently diagnosed with ADHD. I've been wondering how to handle it now that I know what my problem is. And exercise really seems to help because I feel like my executive function is up with exercise. So I'm going to try and keep going with it.

Yeah seconding both that taking walks helps and that it sucks when it's too cold out. I've found that even just going around the block helps if you just need to clear your head

Idk what to do but express sympathy, but I guess I can do that. I suppose you could try and see if you can find resources through your therapist if you havent yet? Sorry if that's not helpful

Somebody has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Feb 15, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
is there a term or something for when things seem to be going well and you’re just waiting for everything to explode?

it’s like I’m getting stressed out that asking for help, doing the lovely stuff, doing different things is actually working

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Consummate Professional posted:

is there a term or something for when things seem to be going well and you’re just waiting for everything to explode?

it’s like I’m getting stressed out that asking for help, doing the lovely stuff, doing different things is actually working

yes, anxiety

the waiting for the other shoe to drop style of anxiety probably has at least one less idiomatic term. maybe just anticipatory anxiety?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

What a rip off

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

yeah honestly recognizing it can maybe help? i had a similar pattern a few months ago and got blindsided by a panic attack, so just being aware that if you start feeling lovely its probably just your brain loving with you. do you have a therapist you can talk to about this?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I do have a therapist and psych who are really good, I am seeing them next week. definitely something to bring up because by all measurable accounts I’m doing pretty good

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

the good news is I've been feeling a lot better this week! The bad news is that actually having nonzero energy in the evenings means I'm not getting to bed when I'd like to

That's great! It feels good finally having the energy to do stuff and have pleasure in things again.

Holy crap, there's been a bit of a fallout in the university I work at regarding a racial incident that happened last year. Apparently someone called the campus police on a Latino student last year because he wasn't wearing a mask. The university tried to cover up the incident (I myself didn't know about it until yesterday) but it was brought to light again last week, and since then there's been 10+ PhD students speaking up about the toxic climate of the school, speaking about how inauthentic it is regarding racial justice, the hypocrisy of a lot of the faculty/staff, etc. There's still a lot to take in still but it kinda made me realize that I'm not so alone in my reservations regarding the workplace. There's a lot of times I feel uncomfortable here with how the university approaches diversity and equity (I felt like it had an issue with performative activism), but I always assumed it was just my anxiety exaggerating things.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Witeldram posted:

That's great! It feels good finally having the energy to do stuff and have pleasure in things again.

Holy crap, there's been a bit of a fallout in the university I work at regarding a racial incident that happened last year. Apparently someone called the campus police on a Latino student last year because he wasn't wearing a mask. The university tried to cover up the incident (I myself didn't know about it until yesterday) but it was brought to light again last week, and since then there's been 10+ PhD students speaking up about the toxic climate of the school, speaking about how inauthentic it is regarding racial justice, the hypocrisy of a lot of the faculty/staff, etc. There's still a lot to take in still but it kinda made me realize that I'm not so alone in my reservations regarding the workplace. There's a lot of times I feel uncomfortable here with how the university approaches diversity and equity (I felt like it had an issue with performative activism), but I always assumed it was just my anxiety exaggerating things.

this is every university, especially at the graduate/working level. except for a few rare departments/people. hell, the general university diversity/equity or whatever department or groups could be fine but they will usually not be able to do poo poo about the actual departments and advisors who actually determine what happens to the graduate students. most phd programs are pure old timey apprenticeships and there's only so much a well-meaning beaurocracy could do to intervene if your advisor turns out to be a bastard. you can probably trust your gut on things (and talk to those phd students if you have any doubts).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My fiance wants to switch coasts, she has better opportunities for her work there and it's a good move, for her. My job is stable and pays reasonably, and I could potentially get a similar or better one there. I don't really have any ties where I'm at, except for my parents. They don't want to switch coasts and to be honest I can't really blame them. They are at retirement age and won't last forever, but don't need any help at the moment. My dad is verbally abusive and has rage issues, but since I've moved out this has become more manageable since now I'm not an easy target and my moving out is an actual consequence. He's still my dad and I don't think canceling him is warranted at this time.

This is going to be a friction point. My partner wants to leave, my parents want me to stay, there is no way that both of them are going to be happy here. If something happens to my mom and I can't be here because of a stupid job somewhere else, that's going to wreck me. I'm being honest with my partner about my misgivings and reservations but she's starting to interpret it as dissent I feel, or "negativity". She's taking her parent with her and her favorite one is already gone, it's different.

I just feel caught in the middle tbh. Both sides feel like they view me as an instrument. I'm their retirement caretaker or I'm their boost stage to get them out of CA and into a house. Bringing up reasons for why the other side wants me to do their thing and why I feel like they have a point basically ends up with "what about me? You're obligated to serve me?"

I do have a therapist and psych who are really good, I am seeing them next week. definitely something to bring up because by all measurable accounts I’m doing pretty good

I'm pretty much like you. Objectively, nobody has actually hosed with me in a while and I don't experience any violence directed at me beyond people in cars having tantrums. Internally though I feel the evil eye upon me and someone I don't know about is seething at me and it's only a matter of time before they do something about it, or a mistake I'm not aware of is working its way to being noticed at which point I'm either going to get a random charge or my life is going to get unravelled. I'm starting to learn to accept that my internal risk assessment mechanism just isn't reliable.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Feb 15, 2023

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Skooma it sounds like you're in kind of a bind but if it were me I wouldn't let myself feel beholden to be my parents' caretaker. It just isn't your job to be available for them in that way, and is an inversion of the kinds of support that they're supposed to be giving you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jorge Bell posted:

Skooma it sounds like you're in kind of a bind but if it were me I wouldn't let myself feel beholden to be my parents' caretaker. It just isn't your job to be available for them in that way, and is an inversion of the kinds of support that they're supposed to be giving you.

Yeah, and plus it's not like I'm going to live on a space station, they can still come with us if they need support. It might be a little colder and they have a house here, but it's not unreasonable that they come to us. Plus I'll actually have space to take them in since I might be able to afford a house there.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

this is every university, especially at the graduate/working level. except for a few rare departments/people. hell, the general university diversity/equity or whatever department or groups could be fine but they will usually not be able to do poo poo about the actual departments and advisors who actually determine what happens to the graduate students. most phd programs are pure old timey apprenticeships and there's only so much a well-meaning beaurocracy could do to intervene if your advisor turns out to be a bastard. you can probably trust your gut on things (and talk to those phd students if you have any doubts).

Exactly.

I've heard horror stories about academia as an undergrad, but it feels surreal witnessing it in-person.

To be honest, I'm afraid of speaking up myself. I'm not even a PhD student, just an administrative assistant for the professors so I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole. I've always felt an unhealthy power dynamic between the professors and me. So far, the only people who have spoken up are the grad students, but if some of the other staff members take action I might do it as well. But I'm definitely going to consider talking to the PhD students because this whole incident has made me realize that I'm not alone.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Witeldram posted:

Exactly.

I've heard horror stories about academia as an undergrad, but it feels surreal witnessing it in-person.

To be honest, I'm afraid of speaking up myself. I'm not even a PhD student, just an administrative assistant for the professors so I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole. I've always felt an unhealthy power dynamic between the professors and me. So far, the only people who have spoken up are the grad students, but if some of the other staff members take action I might do it as well. But I'm definitely going to consider talking to the PhD students because this whole incident has made me realize that I'm not alone.

it's all true. most professors are gonna be sick fuckin freaks. they are allowed to execute graduate students for any reason like old timey nobles. and they love to do it

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Witeldram posted:

Exactly.

I mean, you aren't. The largest education strike in US history just took place at the University of California late last year. poo poo was extremely dire for grad students. Some of them were only making 24k a year in loving Los Angeles. Which means that many of them were either couch surfing or living in their car. It was some shameless loving wage slavery.

The strike went for forty days and they won. They didn't get everything they wanted and it's still not enough to live in LA, but poo poo isn't as dire as it used to be. It also proved that striking against academia works.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/24/1145415255/university-of-california-end-strike-approve-contract

Ice Phisherman has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Feb 16, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

1.5 months into my job and they just announced layoffs. I don't know what to do at this point. Everything seems so hopeless and yet the only people irl who talk to me unironically tell me the world has never been better and not so subtly imply everything is my fault.I can't take it any more.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey you can talk to us and we can tell you everything is hosed and it's capital's fault

(Good luck tho!)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Hey you can talk to us and we can tell you everything is hosed and it's capital's fault

(Good luck tho!)

thanks, that means a lot to me. I know I'm not the easiest person to like but I really need the assurance that I am not insane.

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

In the weeds, watching you post
Crippling social anxiety checking in

I've been reading these forums for years but never made an account because see above. It's taken a long time to get to this point, and yet I'm on my fifteenth minute writing this because I have to keep going back over what I wrote to make sure it's "acceptable". I couldn't tell you what I'm even afraid of, but it's definitely out there and I'll definitely die if whatever it is happens. Haha very helpful thank you brain

On the bright side, I was diagnosed with ADHD last year and the meds have helped with my terrible focus and motivation problems, so that's a plus!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lurking Loach posted:

I've been reading these forums for years but never made an account because see above. It's taken a long time to get to this point, and yet I'm on my fifteenth minute writing this because I have to keep going back over what I wrote to make sure it's "acceptable". I couldn't tell you what I'm even afraid of, but it's definitely out there and I'll definitely die if whatever it is happens. Haha very helpful thank you brain

On the bright side, I was diagnosed with ADHD last year and the meds have helped with my terrible focus and motivation problems, so that's a plus!

look have you seen the kinda posting that goes on around here? at least you're not accusing a C-tier youtuber of being on the wrong side of the split of the Second International

(more seriously good for you, and I hope the social anxiety improves- I've been talking through it with a therapist and it's been helpful)

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Feb 16, 2023

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

StashAugustine posted:

look have you seen the kinda posting that goes on around here? at least you're not accusing a C-tier youtuber of being on the wrong side of the split of the Second International

(more seriously good for you, and I hope the social anxiety improves- I've been talking through it with a therapist and it's been helpful)

You make an excellent point, the bar is low enough that surely even I won't somehow find a way to contort myself under it (probably). Thank you for the encouragement, and I hope your therapist keeps on being helpful! That's a plan for a bit down the road, when finances and time allow.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Lurking Loach posted:

:justpost:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

MMania
May 7, 2008
Nice user name, LL! I also spent 15 minutes responding to your post thank to my crippling social anxiety, just throwing it out there that the worst thing that can happen if you make a dumb post is that some person who you will never meet in the real world calls it dumb. Making good posts here is a skill (that I absolutely don't have) and the only way to learn it is by failing at it a bunch and then learning from those failure. Do you want to learn that skill?

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I find it helpful that this thread is generally so much more chill and friendly compared to the rest of the site lol.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Witeldram posted:

I find it helpful that this thread is generally so much more chill and friendly compared to the rest of the site lol.

:same:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Witeldram posted:

*rolls up sleeves* i can fix it

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

MMania posted:

Nice user name, LL! I also spent 15 minutes responding to your post thank to my crippling social anxiety, just throwing it out there that the worst thing that can happen if you make a dumb post is that some person who you will never meet in the real world calls it dumb. Making good posts here is a skill (that I absolutely don't have) and the only way to learn it is by failing at it a bunch and then learning from those failure. Do you want to learn that skill?

There are dozens of us! At least. It's hard to tell when we lurk so effectively. One day I'll work on making good posts, for now I'm content with neutral ignorable ones. I tell myself that the absolute worst thing that happens is someone views me in a negative light for one minute before forgetting I exist and moving on with their lives but it's a struggle to get the message to actually sink in. I'm betting you know how it is!

Witeldram posted:

True, I didn't expect such a friendly response lol

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
As long as you don't become a thread main character you're good. I'm a terrible poster and it seems to have gone OK lmao.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Bad day at work again! At least it's a three-day weekend. :cloudnine:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

my awesome psych quit today :( I don’t blame him, the VA must suck rear end to work for

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is ADHD actually a disorder, or is it an evolutionary adaptation to living in a world where we are constantly inundated with irrelevant information?

E: Or perhaps where it's not obvious what object of attention or objective is most valuable to pay attention to.

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Feb 18, 2023

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

my awesome psych quit today :( I don’t blame him, the VA must suck rear end to work for

My therapist in undergrad used to work for the VA and it seemed like a very stressful place to work at.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

America Inc. posted:

Is ADHD actually a disorder, or is it an evolutionary adaptation to living in a world where we are constantly inundated with irrelevant information?

E: Or perhaps where it's not obvious what object of attention or objective is most valuable to pay attention to.

Yeah ADHD is definitely a disorder. It's super easy to observe it in others and not at all easy to detect yourself exhibiting! If you have ever tried to have a conversation with someone with ADHD, you may notice yourself frequently having to recenter the conversation on what you intended to talk about. Otherwise, questions will go unanswered, you won't get what you need, etc. People with ADHD also have a lot of trouble staying focused on things they don't want to do. The person I know with ADHD can play on her iPad and talk with friends for hours, but when she's doing something like organizing her home office she'll need to get up and do something else every 10 minutes.

It's different from procrastination, it's instinctive like that but she realizes she's doing it and does it anyway. Very frustrating for her afterwards and then for myself when she complains about how long it takes to get things done.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Witeldram posted:

Everyone (for the most part) has recognized this thread as an awesome space to vent, empathize, and relate to new and veteran posters alike.

:justpost:

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

I'm sorry to hear about your psych, hopefully you find someone new that you click with.

On ADHD, that's exactly how it manifests for me as well. I have always struggled to concentrate on things that I already have to force myself to do -- even simple things like tidying and cooking for myself -- and often fail to make any noticeable progress. I thought I was just lazy. By chance, a friend of mine pointed out my weird cycle of obsessive hobbies and interests: over and over I'd come to him with a new thing, infodump excessively about how cool the new thing was, all the stuff I had bought/was preparing to do, and all the extensive research I'd done...then a few weeks later I'd be on to an entirely different new thing. That obversation started me down the road to being diagnosed and now with medication I find it significantly easier to handle "tedious" but basic tasks. It hasn't fundamentally altered the way I deal with other things, of course, but at least now I'm aware of my tendencies.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lurking Loach posted:

I'm sorry to hear about your psych, hopefully you find someone new that you click with.

On ADHD, that's exactly how it manifests for me as well. I have always struggled to concentrate on things that I already have to force myself to do -- even simple things like tidying and cooking for myself -- and often fail to make any noticeable progress. I thought I was just lazy. By chance, a friend of mine pointed out my weird cycle of obsessive hobbies and interests: over and over I'd come to him with a new thing, infodump excessively about how cool the new thing was, all the stuff I had bought/was preparing to do, and all the extensive research I'd done...then a few weeks later I'd be on to an entirely different new thing. That obversation started me down the road to being diagnosed and now with medication I find it significantly easier to handle "tedious" but basic tasks. It hasn't fundamentally altered the way I deal with other things, of course, but at least now I'm aware of my tendencies.

I remember in grad school describing myself as lazy to a classmate who just kind of scowled at me and pointed out that I was the only person who did the optional assignments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do you think it's bad if I just genuinely don't actually like talking to other people anymore