Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Baron von Eevl posted:

Tie dozens of helium balloons to the headstock instead

time to do the best cover of 99 red balloons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My Norlin LP Custom had a volute wtf Gibson.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Headless SG that also has little horns on whatever you call the space past the nut on a headless guitar. Hire me, Gibson

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Seen that but the headstock being in the body repulses me

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

In case anyone has missed the full report on this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7MvSEZFeM

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
That abomination is an affront to god and must be destroyed

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

You could probably do something that looked like a BC Rich Bich 10's extra four strings and it'd look pretty cool

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm so confused, my Thomann account says they actioned my requested replacement at 8am this morning but at that point all I'd done is ask if the tone was normal behaviour. I absolutely don't want a replacement so it's going to need a phone call to Germany tomorrow.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I knew Thomann makes even Sweetwater look a bit small time but holy poo poo:

That said Sweetwater cups your balls and makes you breakfast and they still do $700m+ annually. Cmon Thomann!!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

landgrabber posted:

there was a really cool noodley emo/punk band but they got cancelled for the main person being a sex pest so i shant name them

These are the bands you should name!

I mean it could be any of them but which

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

800peepee51doodoo posted:

That abomination is an affront to god and must be destroyed

Yeah this. WTF :staredog:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

zelah posted:

It actually was Butt Witch. Great guess.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I want an Epi Coronet just cause I've never seen anyone use one. They look so cool too....

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
briefly played an unplugged revstar on my way out of the shop after my lesson

I should not have

It was very nice the neck is thin and comfy

probably gonna buy a p90 one I guess sigh

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

zelah posted:

LG is probably referring to JANK.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

zelah posted:

Back in MY day, pop punk musicians committed more unconventional crimes: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/former-ataris-bassist-arrested-in-alleged-27-million-real-estate-scam-253677/

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Pop punk has always been a 30 year old man insisting on playing all-ages shows so his gf can get in to watch him sing about his cheating ex. High school never ends.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

briefly played an unplugged revstar on my way out of the shop after my lesson

I should not have

It was very nice the neck is thin and comfy

probably gonna buy a p90 one I guess sigh

Once my refund is confirmed I'm going to get a Revstar, probably the Element though so no P90s.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
https://thehardtimes.net/music/poppunk/pop-punk-frontman-sneaks-girlfriend-into-r-rated-movie-for-valentines-day/
https://thehardtimes.net/culture/teen-still-waiting-for-boyfriend-to-return-home-from-defending-pop-punk/
https://thehardtimes.net/culture/pop-punk-blackjack-player-only-hits-on-15/
https://thehardtimes.net/culture/ha...al-high-school/
https://thehardtimes.net/culture/spotifys-essential-2000s-pop-punk-playlist-not-allowed-within-100-feet-of-schools/

Unrelated but made me lol
https://thehardtimes.net/music/weakerthans-have-impromptu-reunion-at-university-of-winnipeg-faculty-meeting/

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's also the entire plot kickoff of Scott Pilgrim (though it does say explicitly that Scott and Knives don't have any sort of physical relationship).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For those that remember, I'd been a lazybones who'd been putting off learning the fretboard for far too long. Getting by on memorizing scale shapes and chord locations and the E and A strings
and after practicing for like... what maybe 2 weeks now...

I fully see the error of my ways and I repent for them. Today I was just noodling a bit before work and was able to come up with a backing loop and some arbitrary scale I can't find the name for to play over it (D E F G A A# B C, it sounded very Ennio western) and I was jumping around the neck like I've never been able to before just seeing all these different places to riff and bend

it was so fun and I feel like I've seen the code floating behind the matrix for the first time.

All that to say: for anyone in fear that they can't do it or in doubt that it's worth the few weeks to get it down, believe in yourself and delay no further.
And full props to this method for being the one to break through to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJddQ6Q0UDo

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I eliminate neck-dive by simply holding my guitar.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Disco Pope posted:

I eliminate neck-dive by simply holding my guitar.

some people are weak due to a lack of bones don't be a skeletist

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

on the topic of neckdive/weak bones, everyone not using a Fender WeighLess or similar elastic strap is really missing out

they are so damned comfortable I can't imagine ever going back to the traditional style

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

some arbitrary scale I can't find the name for to play over it (D E F G A A# B C, it sounded very Ennio western)

FYI this is just jumping between dorian and natural minor, or sort of an unstructured melodic minor. I like playing that sort of thing when there's an ambiguity in the underlying harmony. You can do a kind of relative major of that, juggling major and mixo and it can sound good.

edit: here's an example of something I did that's kind of similar, the song is kind of ambiguous about whether it's in Dmaj or Dmixo. The verse progression is Dmaj/F#, Gmaj, Asus4, Bmin7 but the refrain is over a held Cmaj. I played in a similar scale for the solo, choosing to play individual figures either with the C# or Cnatural (sort of playing up whether that part felt like it should be a Dmaj or Gmaj/Dmixo lick) and then occasionally doing chromatic stuff walking straight down from D to B, then the solo ends on the Cmaj and hitting that squarely.
https://vocaroo.com/16bxjeXP9qhS

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 17, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I thought neck dive was a neck alignment thing because people always talk about it with Gibsons until like 15 min ago.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

The fancy Yamaha Pacifica comes stock with a Seymour Duncan P90.

It comes in root beer or purple and has a hard tail.

I want one.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

on the topic of neckdive/weak bones, everyone not using a Fender WeighLess or similar elastic strap is really missing out

they are so damned comfortable I can't imagine ever going back to the traditional style

I've got a couple of the Fender WeighLess straps and I agree, they're great

A few months back I picked up a Couch seatbelt-style guitar strap to put on my squier affinity tele (which has a thinner body than a standard Tele and thus probably weighs less than a standard Tele), and once I put it on the guitar I immediately discovered what "neck dive" is, because the strap is so dang slick. (In hindsight I probably would've been better off with one of Couch's vinyl straps, I assume they're less slick than this seatbelt material.) I want to like this Couch strap because it looks great, but... the Fender stretchy straps are like a third of the price and way more functional and comfortable for me, I'm probably going to wind up getting yet another one of those soon

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I simply wrap the strap around my waist, Steve Albini style. I found neckdive impossible to control as the strap slipped freely over my shirtless, oiled torso

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011

And full props to this method for being the one to break through to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJddQ6Q0UDo

Thanks, I’m giving this a go!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I've got one of those big Mono padded straps and it's great but I'm half tempted to try a stretchy Fender strap now.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Can't watch that video where I'm at right now so I dont know what method they're suggesting, but something that helped me learn the notes on the fretboard using scale shapes is to key off of the half step intervals in the major/relative minor shapes. Like if you're in C major/A minor, you know that your half steps are B/C and E/F so you can move down a whole step from those pairs to A or D or up a whole step to D or G, with your sharps and flats in between of course. Between that and memorizing your E and A string note positions, you're like 90% there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Can't watch that video where I'm at right now so I dont know what method they're suggesting, but something that helped me learn the notes on the fretboard using scale shapes is to key off of the half step intervals in the major/relative minor shapes. Like if you're in C major/A minor, you know that your half steps are B/C and E/F so you can move down a whole step from those pairs to A or D or up a whole step to D or G, with your sharps and flats in between of course. Between that and memorizing your E and A string note positions, you're like 90% there

It's a purely mechanical process. So you start by playing the C on every string, then the D, then the E, etc. Up and down to a metronome.
Then you do variations where it's multiple or you switch going up and down (I added in that random note app and would just work up and down each string for 30 minutes to an hour a night)

The idea being that you develop muscle memory in the same sense you "know" where something like a "V" key is on a keyboard even though you probably can't name the letters to either side of it without thinking about it.

And I'm still a long way from instant recall but even just a few practice sessions really made a world of difference.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My guitar professor told me a big speech about learning the fretboard by relational pathways, so you recognize the notes from multiple places (i.e.: you know their place in a scale AND what note they are in a chord AND the fret number) and I looked at him like he was guitar Moses or something because it made conceptualizing that stuff so much easier

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

lazerwolf posted:

LG is probably referring to JANK.

i was.

loved that first album dearly-- insanely catchy with a ton of cool chords and stuff, with great jazzmaster tones

hard to listen to now, incredibly so

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Just looked that band up since I was unfamiliar and, uh, oof yeah thats real bad

It sucks when someone in a band you like turns out to be a shithead. I know a dude that plays/played in a couple pretty well known and influential punk bands that has at least one restraining order from an ex for abuse and stalking. He also ripped off a couple of my friends in some work related stuff. Just a total dick. Makes it real hard to listen to those records now, even though they were some of my favorites from back in the day.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I could tell Phil Anselmo was a white supremacist the moment I first heard/saw Pantera, I don't know why it took everyone until Dimebash 2016 to realize it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ola Englund just put out a video about STL's Josh Middleton plugin and I pretty much check out anything that sounds like a 5150 and hoo boy this is a good one

This led to me jamming on some Anthrax, Exodus, and Metallica with the different STL plugins where I eventually discovered the Driftwood Purple Nightmare model in the Lasse Lammert plugin and pretty much the only thing preventing me from buying it to be my main jamming on metal sound is I really love the easy transposing in Archetype Petrucci.

It sucks when someone in a band you like turns out to be a shithead.

This happens a lot in the metal world - stopped listening to a handful of bands because they're white supremacists or Nazis or whatever. There's enough cool music out there I can deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Lol yeah, it was super loving obvious from day one even without hanging a hat on it with all the southern pride bullshit. Im glad Dime got shot, gently caress those nazis

e:

Southern Cassowary posted:

This happens a lot in the metal world - stopped listening to a handful of bands because they're white supremacists or Nazis or whatever. There's enough cool music out there I can deal.

Tell me about it. Luckily I'm not that big a fan of black metal where its the worst, but its a problem throughout the genre

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 18, 2023