Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I've real-deal bonked once - it's very different than the feeling of being very fatigued/hungry. Legs tingled, headache, and a complete inability to turn the pedals over. Would not recommend; one star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Slavvy posted:

Ok now I get it, that looks pretty worthwhile
Here's what I have specifically for it. A 2-slot mounting based pushed as high as it'll go with the double bottle adapter attached to that. I've messed with a couple other configurations but this is where I ended up.

amenenema posted:

I've real-deal bonked once - it's very different than the feeling of being very fatigued/hungry. Legs tingled, headache, and a complete inability to turn the pedals over. Would not recommend; one star.
Same situation for me. I've only bonked once ever and I'm never gonna let that happen again. To reach that point I had to skip dinner, go drinking with a friend at a concert that night, wake up late and skip breakfast trying to meet with a different friend, and then ride 45 miles on a hot day with only water. Only then did I, a 170 lbs man, finally run out of glycogen to bonk. This was way before my Strava days so I was pretty untrained too. We were one mile from the car but it may as well have been 100. My friend rode ahead and came back to pick me up with a Gatorade and Snickers in tow.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it but I saw a guy completely blow up on a gravel race. He was in front of me, absolutely dying as I was catching him, and he stopped pedaling and just fell over. Couldn’t turn the cranks at all, couldn’t even unclip. Body was just done.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

It definitely wasn't a bonk, yeah. I'm out of shape but by the sounds of it I'd have to work super hard to get to that point.

This morning I woke up late and had breakfast much closer to my ride than yesterday, not feeling quite as terrible and that seems to match up with what I've been reading here.

Alas, no rides in the next few days. We're plummeting down to -20C for a good chunk of next week if the forecast is to be believed and I'm just not ready to ride in that.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

wooger posted:

Or just dump 100g of sugar in your drinks bottles, will work fine too.

I've been doing 40g per bottle since the beginning of winter and it has been a game changer for those longer endurance rides. Otherwise, I'm not great at eating on the bike until it's too late.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I once bonked at the very end of a gravel race. Started feeling woozy, actually lost the ability to focus on some pretty treacherous tractor paths between sections and mooched a Nunn tab and took it slow the last 5k. I managed the climb at the end of the thing somehow and then spent the next 20 minutes sitting on the ground feeling shaky and dizzy while people brought me emergency birthday cake and gatorade.

EDIT: as for only eating 'real food' on a long ride for the love of Christ don't stop for sweet potato fries half way through a long ride on a hot day if you aren't going to give yourself time to digest it some.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 17, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Any FoCco riders around? I'll be in town for lunch tomorrow and wouldn't mind picking some locals' brains.

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT: as for only eating 'real food' on a long ride for the love of Christ don't stop for sweet potato fries half way through a long ride on a hot day if you aren't going to give yourself time to digest it some.
I used to bring leftover pizza (a long with other stuffs) with me on long rides. Not recommended, but plenty of calories to ride on.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pulling handfuls of greasy moz out of my jersey pocket and shoveling it into my face

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's what the breading is for

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

pulling handfuls of greasy moz out of my jersey pocket and shoveling it into my face

:italy: national team secrets

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Welp guess I'm walking home because I'm a moron.

There's bike repair stations around campus, and my tires needed a bit of a pump.

I dunno if I'm just completely stupid or if there was something fucky about the pump itself, but the nozzle wouldn't clamp on, and my stupid rear end didn't notice that all I was doing was pressing down on the valve and letting all the air out.

I guess it's fine that this is happening now, considering that riding conditions next week are not at all ideal, so the bike can just hang out at work (I get a sekrit room to keep it safe in) until the weather clears and I can take a pump to it in a less stupid fashion.

Jesus it's a wonder I didn't put my pants on my head this morning.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Those pumps that are left outdoors often seem to not work at all, dunno if due to weather being harsh on the valves or just getting mistreated.

It's generally a good Idea to carry a small pump on your bike to avoid having to trudge home in case of a flat.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
DIY bike repair stations are a great place to hang your bike and use your own tools because the hex keys are all going to be rounded the pump is going to be broken the phillips head is going to have a chip in one of the blades and the cone wrenches are all going to be mangled.

That's when the tools are still there because a bike thief with bolt cutters hasn't stolen them all yet.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

EvilJoven posted:

DIY bike repair stations are a great place to hang your bike and use your own tools because the hex keys are all going to be rounded the pump is going to be broken the phillips head is going to have a chip in one of the blades and the cone wrenches are all going to be mangled.

That's when the tools are still there because a bike thief with bolt cutters hasn't stolen them all yet.

The first and only time I've seen one of those stations in good condition was in Lake Tahoe, on a bike path next to a bunch of multi million dollar homes. Every one I've seen around here has been a medusa of frayed steel cables.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Meat Bike

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There’s no chance you’re bonking on a 20 minute ride. Low blood sugar, sure, but if you actually bonked on a 20 minute rides it because you just finished a 15 mile run without any calories before hopping on the bike
Dude I've seen people get dizzy and lightheaded from half that when they finally get off the couch. Prob not a full on bonk, but you can easily deplete yourself if you don't prepare.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

evil_bunnY posted:

Dude I've seen people get dizzy and lightheaded from half that when they finally get off the couch. Prob not a full on bonk, but you can easily deplete yourself if you don't prepare.

I don't know if people are confusing overexertion, lack of fitness, dehydration or whatever with bonking, but it generally takes me 2.5+ hours to bonk while riding at tempo in a fasted state.

For me the first sign of bonking is hunger pangs, followed by the liver eating itself. After that, pedaling becomes quite hard. I don't think I have ever gotten to the point of dizziness or brain fog because that's long after my legs stop working. Makes sense to me since the body uses glycogen from the muscles, liver and then brain in that order.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 18, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

I don't know if people are confusing overexertion, lack of fitness, dehydration or whatever with bonking, but it generally takes me 2.5+ hours to bonk while riding at tempo in a fasted state.
I'm probably guilty of this.

When I started road-riding in the netherlands I could totally bonk myself in under half an hour. Now it takes conscious effort and over an hour of riding.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm probably guilty of this.

When I started road-riding in the netherlands I could totally bonk myself in under half an hour. Now it takes conscious effort and over an hour of riding.

As LLH mentioned, this is highly improbable.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evil_bunnY posted:

No one is able to exhaust their glycogen energy reserves in “half of 20 minutes”, and certainly not without having fasted for 24 hours beforehand or something.

And it’s less likely if you’re untrained and not putting out big power.

Bad pacing for your ability and blowing up your cardiovascular system is what it is.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wooger posted:

No one is able to exhaust their glycogen energy reserves in “half of 20 minutes”, and certainly not without having fasted for 24 hours beforehand or something.

And it’s less likely if you’re untrained and not putting out big power.

Bad pacing for your ability and blowing up your cardiovascular system is what it is.

Thank you.

Also very confused by the posters here that refuse to see their caloric needs as strictly clinical and want their bike food to be “real food!?”

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i think most people who are doing sports for fun just generally use bonking out as a term when you're super hungry and tired and need a 5 minute break to eat a snack bar, not some athletes definition of hitting a wall and being completetely unable to continue.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

i think most people who are doing sports for fun just generally use bonking out as a term when you're super hungry and tired and need a 5 minute break to eat a snack bar, not some athletes definition of hitting a wall and being completetely unable to continue.

This. "Bonk" is the new "literally".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Thanks for the explainer!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Thank you.

Also very confused by the posters here that refuse to see their caloric needs as strictly clinical and want their bike food to be “real food!?”

It's because of a few things, not the least of which is that many of us are not competitors, which is who gels and that kind of thing are marketed toward. Since I'm not an athlete, the idea of slurping down an envelope of sweet goo is weird; it's the kind of thing that belongs to a world I'm not part of.

On the other hand, I do have experience with and enjoy food, and since I'm not racing, the idea of having an apple, banana, or Uncrustable is more pleasant than squeezing a fistful of syrup down my throat and calling it lunch.

And not for nothing, but consuming liquid glucose will have a different impact on your body if you're a casual weekend warrior (which is what I consider myself) than if you're an athlete.

The one thing that's helped me the most with regard to nutrition during a ride in which I'm stretching my limits is remembering that carbs are good for you. I lost about 130 pounds by limiting my calories and following a diabetic diet. And no, it wasn't what people would call a low- or no-carb diet like Adkins or Keto, but it did limit simple carbohydrates. So, for me in particular, eating gels just seems like a totally alien concept.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Exactly. The rides I mentioned above were go at my own pace casual get the mileage in fun rides. I could stop and enjoy without any issues. And the idea of paying the prices they ask for gels was terrible.

And having driven it last night, Highway 34 west of Loveland seems like a challenging but do-able ride once I get trained up. Although the altitude is killer when I currently live at 1200'. Loveland is 5k and Estes is around 7500. Would just take training and acclimation.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Yeah, I'll use gels when I'm racing because it's convenient, reliable nutrition but even then I'm mostly doing long course triathlon so I try to get some proper food in on the bike because it's nice to feel full of solids rather than goop and it's much harder to eat a sausage roll while running.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I need new wheels for my commuter and I don’t want to spend much. Are all the sub £200 wheel sets pretty much the same or is there anything in particular I should look for?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I need new wheels for my commuter and I don’t want to spend much. Are all the sub £200 wheel sets pretty much the same or is there anything in particular I should look for?

Hubs that don't fall apart in the wet should be your main concern, You should be able to find Shimano RS300 (rim) under £200. The RS370 for disc brakes might be slightly over.

If you can get cycle to work discount most schemes will allow you to buy just wheels which will give you a bit more to spend.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For races I just crank gels and shot blocks and drink mix with calories in it. Even for 10 hours at a 100mi mtb race last year that was about all i had. Maybe part of a lara bar, some chips, some gummy bears.

But for normal riding it's mostly bars, candy, pastries, honey waffles. I generally stick to larabars, the nature's bakery fig newtons, pb and banana clif bars, and kind bars if it's not too warm.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Spam musubi owns for ride snax

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I always have trouble digesting bars. Honey or maple waffles are good. But, I tend to just pack a PB&J on white bread and/or buy Doritos.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Yeep posted:

Hubs that don't fall apart in the wet should be your main concern, You should be able to find Shimano RS300 (rim) under £200. The RS370 for disc brakes might be slightly over.

If you can get cycle to work discount most schemes will allow you to buy just wheels which will give you a bit more to spend.

2nd this: know what make & model of hub you’re getting - even just being able to find that out will make it more likely that it’s serviceable.

For an affordable brand name; I hear that Miche Primato hubs are bulletproof and have excellent seals for all weather usage. But Shimano anything is great too.

I just bought a set of Hope 20five wheels (disc) lightly used, for £200 for the same use case - the rear hub alone retails for more than that.

There are lots of deals out there used, and if you’re on rim brake you can find people just giving away mid to low end wheels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Thank you.

Do you eat gels and poo poo full time even when you're not on the bike? Why not, after all it meets your caloric needs just as well as a sandwich.

I'm not racing anyone, I'm not shaving my bike to the last gram or optimizing my clothing aero for maximum performance, why would I want to eat gross astronaut food?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
When you're exercising your digestive system is not working up to the standards you'd find post regular meals, one of the worst food experiences of my life was eating a sausage and egg sandwich midway through a 100 mile ride.

On the flipside, it's very possible to eat "normal" food on rides and I think maybe people are getting confused over the type of riding you need to specifically fuel for and the type of riding where you are just chilling and a sandwich will perk you up even if you're not getting the full whack of energy on the bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Slavvy posted:

Do you eat gels and poo poo full time even when you're not on the bike? Why not, after all it meets your caloric needs just as well as a sandwich.

I'm not racing anyone, I'm not shaving my bike to the last gram or optimizing my clothing aero for maximum performance, why would I want to eat gross astronaut food?

I don't think either of you should give a poo poo about what the other eats, but to be fair you started this derail by saying that ability to carry sufficient nutrition was a limiter for you. I don't think you need to get quite so salty about people explaining how, for them, they avoid that being a limiter.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Vando posted:

When you're exercising your digestive system is not working up to the standards you'd find post regular meals, one of the worst food experiences of my life was eating a sausage and egg sandwich midway through a 100 mile ride.

On the flipside, it's very possible to eat "normal" food on rides and I think maybe people are getting confused over the type of riding you need to specifically fuel for and the type of riding where you are just chilling and a sandwich will perk you up even if you're not getting the full whack of energy on the bike.

When I was twelve I fueled a 200mi ride with many, many gas station corn dogs and jojos. My dad knew how dumb it was but he let me learn for myself, and boy, did I. Gave new meaning to the phrase "gutting it out".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't eat gels or cliff bars anymore because my goals shifted from trying to ride a 2 minute mile to trying to avoid injuries and not getting a middle age beer gut. Nothing works as well as gels in my experience, but you sorta have to align your biking to your overall goals and metabolically what doctor is going to tell you to eat 5 grams of glucose syrup and caffeine powder as part of your balanced moderate exercise program.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Slavvy posted:

You’re being dense on purpose. Just pack a PBJ and not a steak sandwich or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I do enjoy some Huel on occasion. It's a sipping meal.