Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean that's everyone's forever home sooner or later

It's a shame the China thread is completely dominated by anti-CPC fundamentalists. Fascinating country and I used to like posting there, but anyone who doesn't literally think the communists are actually Nazis gets probed immediately.

You are a fool for seeking decent content anywhere in D&D outside of this thread (and often within it too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://twitter.com/reading_buses/status/1626547293544382464
Not sure if this is a swan supporting public transport or sabotaging it (Big Oil Swan?)
https://twitter.com/duckbldg/status/1596222540678332417

Darth Walrus posted:

Chinese history, but I think the UK Marxism Thread will still find it fascinating:

https://twitter.com/pplsartofwar/status/1626361965130969089?s=46&t=TnLC_MCnHmbFYvfU601pQA
Worked for 4 years or so, but my long money's on the plant that predates human civilization and can grow through concrete.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tesseraction posted:

Legal Advice UK, in which a Brit was selling crypto transaction SaaS without registering with the government and last night discovers all his bank accounts are sat at £-500k and the banks aren't allowed to talk to him https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/113xdf4/bank_accounts_overdrawn_missing_and_suspended/

I saw the post title in my Reddit feed but skipped over it, lol crypto will save the world from the dastardly fiat and the evil banks!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

the dastardly fiat

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

You are a fool for seeking decent content anywhere in D&D outside of this thread (and often within it too)

It's this. D&D is a cesspit of sensibles.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Have you tried the CSPAM Asia thread? I haven't but it might be your best bet

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

WTF - Octopus have just dropped £200 'alternative fuel payment' into my account! I am all electric and have had the £67pm subsidy (one more month to go) to make up the £400. Pretty sure I'm not entitled to this!

Ed

On further investigation I found this:

Source: https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/200-alternative-fuel-payment-drop-26167148

I don't use mains gas for heating, I'm all electric!

What a nice surprise!

Congrats on the moola and stay warm. :fluffy:

-------------------------

Checked my oil today, 1/2 full so that will tide me over nicely. :)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cool. What could possibly go wrong ?

https://twitter.com/babcockplc/status/1625794201630777344?s=46&t=J6iSNvtJ-DF9bGrAWrO1GA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Babcock is
https://twitter.com/StopTweetingMia/status/1625848327765123073
but for Jess Phillips

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol why the gently caress did they call it skynet?

That has to be some nerd just putting it in the suggestion box for funsies and a succession of other nerds just letting it go because surely someone is going to clock this before it happens and then no, now we have a Skynet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bit of a random question but I don't suppose anybody has any experience being an asbestos surveyor do they?

I might have a job offer and am thinking about trading in my job where I spend all day crawling around filthy old warehouses riddled with toxic chemicals for one where I get to wear a respirator while doing that and paid a bit more.

I read the HSE specs for the job and it seems alright.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 17, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

History Comes Inside! posted:

lol why the gently caress did they call it skynet?

That has to be some nerd just putting it in the suggestion box for funsies and a succession of other nerds just letting it go because surely someone is going to clock this before it happens and then no, now we have a Skynet.

https://twitter.com/AlexBlechman/status/1457842724128833538?t=gl3keKzBCgV-d-XOOUJJ7w&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
AFAIK cyberdine systems is a real company, no idea though if they developed Skynet.

Exited to start my new job as a janitor on the Weyland Yutani mining colony.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Wrong way round in this case though

quote:

In the 1960s, only two countries utilised communications satellites, the United States and the Soviet Union. The United Kingdom created Skynet as its own military communications satellite system, because of inadequate undersea communications cable availability and to increase flexibility, reliability, data capacity and security.[6][7]

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Bit of a random question but I don't suppose anybody has any experience being an asbestos surveyor do they?

I might have a job offer and am thinking about trading in my job where I spend all day crawling around filthy old warehouses riddled with toxic chemicals for one where I get to wear a respirator while doing that and paid a bit more.

I read the HSE specs for the job and it seems alright.

90% of it will be checking debris after the numpty builders have already destroyed it all. Chuck a suspect lump in a bag and send it to a lab. Bing bong here's the bill.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lab: Please stop sending us local councillors in a burlap sack with 'suspect lump' written on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

90% of it will be checking debris after the numpty builders have already destroyed it all. Chuck a suspect lump in a bag and send it to a lab. Bing bong here's the bill.

Apparently the company that's made the offer actually have their own labs, so I might end up doing the analysis too, the analyst guidance contains the testing criteria and I think I could do those too apart from possibly the polarized light response matching because my colour vision isn't great.

But yeah otherwise it seems to be sample collection and photographing things, and also wandering around going "yeah that's probably asbsestos" on sites where they don't want to pay to have things tested for their management plans. And I already do two of those things already.

Also lots of air sample pump setups, apparently.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 17, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Also lots of air sample pump setups, apparently.

you'll learn all the tricks of the trade, like spraying a pva/water mix around inside the negative pressure enclosures to capture floating fibres and drag them to the floor so the air sample test passes

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I think it's Belgium that has an ISP called Skynet for years.
Always get a chuckle when it appears when Im helping tech support at work.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What even is Belgium

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

What even is Belgium

A country that shouldn't exist even harder than the UK

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

Today's going to be interesting. Rishi was chatting with EU politicians yesterday, and has now travelled to Belfast to present a deal to the NI politicians. The way the establishment + BBC is reporting about it, it's as though the deal is going to be agreed upon. However, that may not be the case

https://twitter.com/Kilsally/status/1626336791535169536

Now the DUP are important and powerful people again, they'll probably be able to demand a huge quid pro quo.

obstruction and extortion is p much all the DUP exists to do

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

What even is Belgium
Une misérable petite pousse d'Ypres!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

They’re not even in power yet but Kieth is already Krackdown Krazy

it's like it never stopped being 2005 with these people

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://twitter.com/reading_buses/status/1626547293544382464
Not sure if this is a swan supporting public transport or sabotaging it (Big Oil Swan?)

how long has this kind of clairvoyance been going?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

They’re not even in power yet but Kieth is already Krackdown Krazy

what happens if the parents fail the class

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1626552319918632960

people gonna be sentenced to doing stuff in their pants

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what an away day that must have been, where they came up with this utter shite

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I've worked on site with a couple of asbestos surveyors in the past. Most of the times it was to confirm the bleeding obvious, like "why is the backing board in this 1960s switchroom made of hairy white canvas? I could not possibly know". The surveyor took one look at the thing and agreed it was definitely asbestos. They then used a scalpel to collect a small sample into a bag for further confirmation. Two weeks later they sent us a report telling us what type of asbestos it was.

Another time involved vertical confined space entry into an abandoned subway which we later pumped full of concrete.

You'll get to go to a lot of mundane places but maybe also some cool urbex ones if you get other tickets like confined spaces or roped access. Most of the time asbestos containing materials are bleeding obvious so the lab testing is a bit redundant, but being able to do that as well would make the job a bit more varied.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Community engagement but only in the form of finding new and inventive ways to harass teenagers, really gunning for the curtain twitcher vote.

Endjinneer posted:

I've worked on site with a couple of asbestos surveyors in the past. Most of the times it was to confirm the bleeding obvious, like "why is the backing board in this 1960s switchroom made of hairy white canvas? I could not possibly know". The surveyor took one look at the thing and agreed it was definitely asbestos. They then used a scalpel to collect a small sample into a bag for further confirmation. Two weeks later they sent us a report telling us what type of asbestos it was.

Another time involved vertical confined space entry into an abandoned subway which we later pumped full of concrete.

You'll get to go to a lot of mundane places but maybe also some cool urbex ones if you get other tickets like confined spaces or roped access. Most of the time asbestos containing materials are bleeding obvious so the lab testing is a bit redundant, but being able to do that as well would make the job a bit more varied.

Mostly it seems like it pays very well for what looks like comparatively easy work, and like I said I already spend my time in old buildings full of filth and things that'll kill you, they're called shops. Not much bothered about variety as honestly doing an easter egg hunt for spicy insulation sounds like a perfectly entertaining way to spend my day. As long as they take the PPE seriously and I'm not going to get mesothelioma it sounds alright.

Open to doing certificiations for other things just ideally not working at heights. Confined space should be OK as long as it's not so confined my arse won't fit through.

The fact that I live next to a giant industrial site undergoing constant demolition also helps.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 17, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Endjinneer posted:

"why is the backing board in this 1960s switchroom made of hairy white canvas?

that could have been a network engineer, op

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

It doesn't matter, as long as they've been forced to go there and be humiliated

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Let me be clear: Our policy is to be firm but fair in cracking down on (continues for 94 minutes sweatily trying his best not to say he wants to take kids away from their parents )

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Air sample pump setups sounds like the kind of monitoring you'd have on an operational site to check for breaches in exposure limits, so there might be situations where you're dealing with say a demolitions site manager who really really wants you to let them keep poisoning their staff because time is money. There'll probably be a bureaucracy/the HSE to help with that though.
Confined spaces isn't too bad- the name's a bit open to misunderstanding. It's more about hazards from spaces being closed in than spaces being tiny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah confined space as far as I know is stuff like "there is no ventilation down here so you need to make sure you can breathe so we don't get a conga line of people dying trying to retrieve the previous guy who died in the airless hole"

Also frankly I adore the idea of being as bureaucratic as possible in the name of not exposing people to asbestos. Actually doing something worthwhile with my time like "stopping people breathing cancer air" rather than trying to maximise their consumption of overpriced snacks sounds like a step up. I already have to deal with lovely managers except I am currently a peon so I'm not allowed to tell them where to go.

Also I may or may not know a demolition site manager who is very strict about health and safety so I can ask for tips.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 17, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

a conga line of people dying trying to retrieve the previous guy who died in the airless hole
It does suck seeing advice like "if nobody has the SCBA to hand you have to sit outside and watch your friend die" but I guess it's preferable to "and then the first responders have to request a corpse crane to retrieve all of you from the tank".

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Jel Shaker posted:

Then their parents have to go to a parenting class.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

crispix posted:

Thank God the left could be defeated so we could finally have the politics of hope

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It does suck seeing advice like "if nobody has the SCBA to hand you have to sit outside and watch your friend die" but I guess it's preferable to "and then the first responders have to request a corpse crane to retrieve all of you from the tank".

I'm sure I've seen a couple of those US chemical safety board videos about that kinda thing yeah. Industry is loving dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

Why sports coaches? Just imagining giving PE teachers the powers of judges, seems like the fastest route to fascism.