Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

I own it, but was planning a session only coming sunday. Can write more once I've played but a first read through makes it an interesting if very linear writing experience in combination with the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Holy poo poo!!! This is very generous. This whole OGL bullshit is actually making things better in some cases!!

Shawn Tomkin posted:

Expanding the License

When I released Ironsworn in 2018, I had two assumptions.
No one would be interested in my goofy game

If anyone was interested in making something based on Ironsworn, they would use the Ironsworn mechanics or the moves, but not necessarily content such as assets or oracle tables

I envisioned creators building their own worlds and character archetypes using the Ironsworn system, so anything that felt specific to the setting didn't fall under the commercial license. However, I've learned this restriction is sometimes challenging to work around, particularly for digital tools. For Starforged, I extended the use of the commercial license to cover additional content (such as Starforged oracle tables).

As of today, I am expanding this even further.

In addition to the products outlined above, the following materials are also now under the CC BY 4.0 commercial license.
  • Text of all Ironsworn and Ironsworn: Starforged assets

• Text of all Ironsworn and Ironsworn: Delve oracle tables (Starforged oracles are already included)

• The complete text of chapter 1 ("At the Threshold") and chapter 2 ("Into the Depths") of Ironsworn: Delve

• Text of all Ironsworn: Delve theme and domain cards
Note that it will take me a bit of time to roll out this change. I have plans to develop a web-based SRD for Ironsworn, Ironsworn: Delve, and Ironsworn: Starforged, but other development must take precedent. In the meantime, this notification is as official as you need to leverage those elements in your works. Go forth and make awesome things!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wow that's awesome of him to do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Zero posted:

Holy poo poo!!! This is very generous. This whole OGL bullshit is actually making things better in some cases!!

Yeah, I honestly think WotC hosed up big time. Once this all shakes out the Open Gameing community is going to be stronger, not weaker.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, I honestly think WotC hosed up big time. Once this all shakes out the Open Gameing community is going to be stronger, not weaker.

Yeah, I saw Dungeon Dudes release a video that's just "what games (that aren't 5e) we're excited to play in 2023" and they'd just successfully completed a big Kickstarter for their homebrew 5e campaign book. They aren't huge enough I'd expect everyone to know them, but they're relatively successful YouTube/twitch streamers with a years long campaign in that setting and twice weekly dm/player advice videos that are 95% dnd focused and they're just flat out saying "hey, these are games that aren't dnd we like, which of them would you like to see us make videos about?"

If Critical Role pivots to an open ended campaign using another system, that's the end times for dnd.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hello! I have a weird question, and I'll warn you in advance that I'm going to be very picky.

I am looking for a light weight freeform combat / adventure solo rpg tool that I can use to write a little journal about an OC going on mage adventures in a bog-standard classic fantasy world. Cast fireball to blow up goblins, look for loot, level up, etc... but balanced for one (or two at max) characters, and not too chart heavy.

Does this exist?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I don't think so. I once envisioned something like this, but even then I suspect it's gonna be more Ironsworn-y which isn't very light weight due to its mechanical structure. I think the closes you might find would be something like Barbarian Prince, but that's more of a boardgame with a clear defined endstate.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello! I have a weird question, and I'll warn you in advance that I'm going to be very picky.

I am looking for a light weight freeform combat / adventure solo rpg tool that I can use to write a little journal about an OC going on mage adventures in a bog-standard classic fantasy world. Cast fireball to blow up goblins, look for loot, level up, etc... but balanced for one (or two at max) characters, and not too chart heavy.

Does this exist?

Scarlet Heroes?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Misfit posted:

I don't think so. I once envisioned something like this, but even then I suspect it's gonna be more Ironsworn-y which isn't very light weight due to its mechanical structure. I think the closes you might find would be something like Barbarian Prince, but that's more of a boardgame with a clear defined endstate.

Is Ironsworn not lightweight? I found it very simple after I got used to the systems. I mean it's not a good fit, but it felt pretty simple and narrative-focused to me.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Ragnar34 posted:

Is Ironsworn not lightweight? I found it very simple after I got used to the systems. I mean it's not a good fit, but it felt pretty simple and narrative-focused to me.

It's intuitive, yes, totally, but I don't consider it lightweight with all the interactions you can get up to. I suspect another factor is that I don't consider games lightweight if the have dozens of dozens of detailed explanations of their core rule mechanisms.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Megazver posted:

Scarlet Heroes?

This might fit! Thank you!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does this exist?

Serious answer: The D&D DM's guide has (or at least used to) random dungeon tables, loot tables, random monsters, etc. A loooooooong :corsair: time ago I used to solo D&D using those tables. It's actually pretty good if all you want is a Roguelike dungeon crawl.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

This might fit! Thank you!

You can get the basic idea of the changes Crawford made to the D&D rules to make them solo-able from the free Scarlet Heroes quickstart and his earlier free Solo Heroes pamphlet and you can apply them to any D&D-ish system you like, tbh. I used it with Into the Odd, for example.

You'll still need some oracles and tables, but this takes care of the "classic D&D fantasy, but solo" part.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr.Misfit posted:

It's intuitive, yes, totally, but I don't consider it lightweight with all the interactions you can get up to. I suspect another factor is that I don't consider games lightweight if the have dozens of dozens of detailed explanations of their core rule mechanisms.

I have no idea what you mean here. Oracle tables? Moves?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I have no idea what you mean here. Oracle tables? Moves?

I can't speak for that poster obviously but I would never call Ironsword 'lightweight' because of the number of moves it has. I love Ironsworn, I'm not dissing it, but it's not exactly easy to get into. It feels chunky and complicated.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does this exist?

It does, but it's embedded in its own book series and it's a bit kludgey. I'm talking about the Blood Sword series which starts here.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It has a lot of substance to it but I don’t think of Ironsworn/Starforged as “complicated” at all. I wouldn’t necessarily call it “light” though, but nor would I call it complicated. I guess what I’d call it is “smooth” or something. It flows extremely well if it fits your mindset.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I tried Ironsworn and I got stuck on the part where you actually play it. I don't know if it just takes some figuring out on your own or if I missed where in the book it lays out what to do and when but I found it kind of impenetrable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Watching a good Actual Play like season 2 of Me Myself and Die really, really helps to grok how to play Ironsworn.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Flakey posted:

I tried Ironsworn and I got stuck on the part where you actually play it. I don't know if it just takes some figuring out on your own or if I missed where in the book it lays out what to do and when but I found it kind of impenetrable.

I think that's more a roadblock for solo RPGs without gamified structures than a unique issue for Ironsworn. "Here's a ruleset and tools, go" is a daunting task for narrative heavy solo RPG. I think Starforged does a better onboarding job with building out from large scale to narrow and ending with your starting quest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Someday I'll be in the mood to sit down and actually do a game of Ironsworn or Starforged (I own Delve and Starforged)

But I grabbed Scarlet Heroes instead and here's a quick slapped together character sheet for a test game. I should name her, but we're getting there.

quote:

Tester!

Strength: 15 (+1)
Dexterity: 14 (+1)
Constitution: 14 (+1)
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 14 (+1)
Charisma: 16 (+2)

Class: Thief (+4 attack bonus when ambushing + triple damage) (damage is capped at 1d8)
Level: 1
XP: 0

Max. HP: 4
AC (low is good):
Attack Bonus: +1
Fray Die: 1d6

Weapons:

Dagger 1d4 (can be thrown 30')
Spear 1d6 (can be thrown 60')

Armor:
Leather Armor 7 AC

Gear: 1 x scholar set (magnifying glass, quill, ink, books, waterproof backpack)

6 silver (1 silver = 1 day's wages average)

Trait:

Occult investigator 3
Fast speaker 1
Fast reader 1
Walk quietly 2

Concept: Educated, focused on self defense by way of sneaking, wants to read dangerous books. Is currently unemployed and unattached, on quest to learn how to summon an angel (or demon) (or anything).

A mage might have fit better, but I like the almost World of Darkness-esque concept to explain why Tester is out adventuring, but also why she wouldn't have any spells.

I'm not setting this in the Scarlet Heroes setting as that's too Eastern flavored for what I want, which is a-okay. I don't want to get caught in world building yet, so I'll keep it light. But this should be enough for me to get going: she's on the road, following some local rumor or tip from her previous occupation, and now I go figure out how to proceed.

I really appreciate how I came to this entirely blank - generic dungeon crawl - and now just through character creation I have a fresh character, a goal, and depending on my mood/stamina/adhd I can do a short adventure "finds magic book, summons thing as reward for dungeon crawl" or a longer "finds book fragments, comes back bloodied but richer and with clues" or whatever I want.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also for what it's worth, I feel like Ironsworn bogs me down almost immediately by demanding I give my character a vow, as like, that takes time for me to build up to. It's a central concept that's really demanding for me personally and while I can omit it from play, I don't entirely want to? And I don't want something too generic like "tragedy happened, it's revenge time", as that's not inspiring to me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someday I'll be in the mood to sit down and actually do a game of Ironsworn or Starforged (I own Delve and Starforged)

But I grabbed Scarlet Heroes instead and here's a quick slapped together character sheet for a test game. I should name her, but we're getting there.

A mage might have fit better, but I like the almost World of Darkness-esque concept to explain why Tester is out adventuring, but also why she wouldn't have any spells.

I'm not setting this in the Scarlet Heroes setting as that's too Eastern flavored for what I want, which is a-okay. I don't want to get caught in world building yet, so I'll keep it light. But this should be enough for me to get going: she's on the road, following some local rumor or tip from her previous occupation, and now I go figure out how to proceed.

I really appreciate how I came to this entirely blank - generic dungeon crawl - and now just through character creation I have a fresh character, a goal, and depending on my mood/stamina/adhd I can do a short adventure "finds magic book, summons thing as reward for dungeon crawl" or a longer "finds book fragments, comes back bloodied but richer and with clues" or whatever I want.

That's kickass. I like the detail that she would just really like to summon *something*.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also for what it's worth, I feel like Ironsworn bogs me down almost immediately by demanding I give my character a vow, as like, that takes time for me to build up to. It's a central concept that's really demanding for me personally and while I can omit it from play, I don't entirely want to? And I don't want something too generic like "tragedy happened, it's revenge time", as that's not inspiring to me.

My favorite two starting vows are a mystery and a long term goal, then use the oracles to point them in a general direction. I do this before I pick assets even, then try to choose those to fit what my character wants and go from there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Me Myself and Die is really quite entertaining and informative. I wish I had more time for it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't have any issues with IS/SF's central vow system because it's literally just asking you to come up with a strong character motivation.

And this can be anything. You could go for a heavily plot-forward vow. You could have a long term ambition. You could have a fairly simple motivation that's made more urgent by context.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The background vow doesn’t even have to be something you, the player, expect to achieve, it’s just a character motivator to fall back on when you find yourself lacking purpose.

It’s also fine to NOT have a background vow, IMO. Maybe you’ll think of and reveal one later as a dramatic scene, having been guided to the idea by your game. Maybe there never is one. It’s fine to drop it if it’s getting in the way of playing the here and now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The background vow doesn’t even have to be something you, the player, expect to achieve, it’s just a character motivator to fall back on when you find yourself lacking purpose.

It’s also fine to NOT have a background vow, IMO. Maybe you’ll think of and reveal one later as a dramatic scene, having been guided to the idea by your game. Maybe there never is one. It’s fine to drop it if it’s getting in the way of playing the here and now.

Yeah the inciting incident vow is more important at the start than the background vow, and you can generate the inciting incident from oracle tables if you don't have a strong idea. I've done a few sessions where I just started from the inciting incident and got the big picture later and it works well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay! I've decided to just jump in. I did some quick googling and found this tool: One Page Dungeon and et voila!

Tester has followed her lead, gone hiking - I'm thinking she lives in a North England-esque area, and is setting out in Fall (winter will be exciting if I take it long-term) so while there's the hint of snow, everything is mostly dying leaves and birds leaving.

And since this is a land of adventure, voila!~ She comes across this crumbling ruin. I'm tweaking what I've been given - this place isn't weeks and weeks from civilization, she didn't have to fight bears to reach it, it's just an abandoned stone settlement. There's likely more buildings that crumbled to dust as they were made of wood. How this works in the world-building is interesting, as it tells me that there's been some kind of big event that prevents humans from just expanding nonstop. (Or is it more like a town I knew while living in New York that effectively crumbled when the big factory in the area shut down, so while it's still settled, there's lots of abandoned buildings that would count as ruins...) (As this is a fantasy setting in the generic sense, we're dealing with feudal monarchies, horses being the primary mode of transport, roads existing between major settlements, and lots of wild places and lost places.)

I'll have to stat up some hobgoblins now, see how the combat system actually works, but there, I have an actual solid start.

... wait! The hobgoblins are great! They explain the rumor! Tester comes from a mid-sized town on the edge of the road networks (moving north in this region is bad thanks to the snow, swamps, and thick forests) and of course there'd be a discussion about what's been eating the local horses, talk about whatever caused the hobgoblins to migrate, and of course the kind of thing that's all "oh the old Ekeverinn ruins! That's a cursed place, rumor has it that the master there dabbled in foul magicks!" etc etc)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

https://mkirin.itch.io/iron-valley

someone made a cute Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley inspired hack of Ironsworn/Starforged for a recent game jam. I haven't played it myself yet, and it's still in beta, but it looks like a pretty charming game from reading the book

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Valley posted:

Iron Valley is a game about peoples of all walks of life living in
peace, caring for one another, and working towards a brighter and
inclusive future.

To put it more bluntly:
You are not allowed to play this game if you support bigotry
in any function or form, including but not limited to: racism,
xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, sexism,
antisemitism, or religious intolerance.

No bigots allowed in the fort :colbert:

I love that Ironsworn is getting all these new uses for the system, even though the theme of the initial game is easily my favorite so far. It's a cool system and I want to back-hack as many things into Ironsworn as possible so I can expand it into the most agonizingly granular solo ttrpg in the world for personal use.

Been thinking about Delve lately. Its place in Ironsworn is interesting because I've been piecing together a dungeon and I realized Iron Age Scandinavia didn't really go in for elaborate, many-roomed manmade buildings, which makes certain dungeon tropes tough to fit into the setting and atmosphere.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

someone awful. posted:

https://mkirin.itch.io/iron-valley

someone made a cute Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley inspired hack of Ironsworn/Starforged for a recent game jam. I haven't played it myself yet, and it's still in beta, but it looks like a pretty charming game from reading the book

This is very cool. I've been working on a Stardew inspired graph paper game with a stamina system of XD6 and progress bars for crops, stamina costs for tasks like watering, etc. This gives me a lot of ideas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ragnar34 posted:

No bigots allowed in the fort :colbert:

I love that Ironsworn is getting all these new uses for the system, even though the theme of the initial game is easily my favorite so far. It's a cool system and I want to back-hack as many things into Ironsworn as possible so I can expand it into the most agonizingly granular solo ttrpg in the world for personal use.

Been thinking about Delve lately. Its place in Ironsworn is interesting because I've been piecing together a dungeon and I realized Iron Age Scandinavia didn't really go in for elaborate, many-roomed manmade buildings, which makes certain dungeon tropes tough to fit into the setting and atmosphere.

The Ironlands don't have to be scandinavia if you don't wish them to be! IIRC Shawn has even commented he probably went a bit too far on the northern feel of the art he used/created, mostly because its a very common flavor for the kind of photos he was working from. That is partly why he brought Joshua Meehan on board for Starforged and they worked together to do original art for it.

Alternatively, just because the modern Ironlanders are somewhat Scandavian themed (or not) in your take on the Ironlands, doesn't mean the people who lived and left their ruins behind long ago were the same.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In my IF game I went out of my way to make the Ironlands a place where survivors of many different cultures wound up after calamity overtook the Old World

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, same. Mine still has some nordic feel thanks the overall weather and region, but the people themselves came from many backgrounds, and have adapted old customs and forms of dress to suit colder climates in addition to adopting practices better suited for their new home.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Although I ended up not doing anything because life got in the way shortly after, in SF, I rolled the oracle, and got "searching," and I think "family" or something similar. Since it was Mother's Day when I was rolling, I decided my character was searching for their mother.

So not something that can be pressing at all times, but could be going on in the background, and a reason for going somewhere else.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
e: wrong thread, sorry!

CK07 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 25, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

CK07 posted:

Sky island mod is BARELY making it tolerable to deal with pockets, but I wish there were a way to make a new pond tile in my base so I could farm fish with a trap. Animal breeding apparently happens once a year so that doesn't seem sustainable, and I am constitutionally incapable of making my way to a warp point without filling up my backpack with a ton of incidental poo poo even if I'm trying to focus on just collecting planks or bodies or whatever.

Wrong thread?

If not, what game is this? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wrong thread?

If not, what game is this? :v:

A Cataclysm DDA mod.