Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Huh, that’s pretty cool. Is it smart enough to catch post credits scenes and so on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hardware Transcoding trip report:

I switched away from the RPi4 to this ZimaBoard, so I could take advantage of Intel QuickSync. And, wow, it runs at about 25% of the CPU load, for about 5 seconds, at which point the entire OS freezes and requires a hard power cycle.

e: maybe it was just a fluke. Seems okay now. :ohdear:

cruft fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 15, 2023

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Do you have all your chipset and other drivers updated? or in some cases, rolled back or downgraded to the One That Worked

if everything is gravy now then ignore obviously.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

Do you have all your chipset and other drivers updated? or in some cases, rolled back or downgraded to the One That Worked

if everything is gravy now then ignore obviously.

At the risk of sounding like Comic Book Guy, it's a 5.10.0 kernel, the one that ships with Debian 11. Fresh install on brand new hardware, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

When it's not crashing, the HW transcoding is badass. I'll keep watching Batman today to see if I can trigger another crash. Fingers crossed.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Warbird posted:

Huh, that’s pretty cool. Is it smart enough to catch post credits scenes and so on?

Based on the setting description it should if the online database does but checking on some Venture Bros since every episode has post credits scenes

Edit: Didn't work on Venture Bros (didn't think it would)

BUT

Tested on Spider-Man: Homecoming, hitting skip credits took you to a few seconds before the credits transition to the mid-credit scene, once that scene ends you get the option to skip credits again

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 15, 2023

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What database is used for that?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

[img-ronpaulitshappening]

(Scanner) Adds support for the Extend multi-episode format i.e. S01E01-02 (#14064)

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server/30447?page=28

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Hardware Transcoding trip report:

I switched away from the RPi4 to this ZimaBoard, so I could take advantage of Intel QuickSync. And, wow, it runs at about 25% of the CPU load, for about 5 seconds, at which point the entire OS freezes and requires a hard power cycle.

e: maybe it was just a fluke. Seems okay now. :ohdear:

Nope, crashes consistently trying to play an MPEG4 file in a browser. It's definitely the hardware transcoding.

This thing has a 36W power supply. The RPi4 has a 15.3W power supply. That's 5% of a solar panel. The Pi is slower than the ZimaBoard, but not that much slower. I think I'm going to revert back to the Raspberry Pi!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Off topic but those zimaboard cooler things are ugly as sin goddamn

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

nexus6 posted:

So my drive containing my media is getting close to full again and I'm getting tired of picking & deleting shows I don't want around anymore just to make space. I've heard about transcoding my files to smaller file sizes - is there a 'set it and forget it' guide to this? Last time I looked you had to install this thing with a bunch of nodes and install plugins etc etc. I'd much rather select my media dir, pick some output formats and just press 'go'.

Handbrake.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cornjob posted:

Handbrake.

Pshaw why bother converting to lesser video when you can just buy more hard drives

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

Pshaw why bother converting to lesser video when you can just buy more hard drives

This poster gets it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xarph posted:

[img-ronpaulitshappening]

(Scanner) Adds support for the Extend multi-episode format i.e. S01E01-02 (#14064)

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server/30447?page=28

If I was smart I would’ve checked how it used to handle these (I don’t have a ton, seems more kids tv stuff from memory with tvdb doing their usual nonsense) but I did the upgrade and for a season of The Office where I have one of these files in the middle of the run… I’m not entirely sure what it’s changed. Did a library scan/metadata refresh and the episode list goes 9 / 10 / 11 / 13 where 11 is marked as e11-12. I was hoping the episode number overlay in the client would reflect it’s both 11 and 12 rather than making it look like I’m missing one.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I was smart I would’ve checked how it used to handle these (I don’t have a ton, seems more kids tv stuff from memory with tvdb doing their usual nonsense) but I did the upgrade and for a season of The Office where I have one of these files in the middle of the run… I’m not entirely sure what it’s changed. Did a library scan/metadata refresh and the episode list goes 9 / 10 / 11 / 13 where 11 is marked as e11-12. I was hoping the episode number overlay in the client would reflect it’s both 11 and 12 rather than making it look like I’m missing one.

i was pretty sure that's how it would handle it, you would see 10, 11, 12, but the same file would play regardless if you selected 11 or 12

I'm not clear why they changed this behavior

EDIT: it was apparently issue 14064 but I can't work out where their issue tracking is right now, i would be curious to see that ticket

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 16, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

i was pretty sure that's how it would handle it, you would see 10, 11, 12, but the same file would play regardless if you selected 11 or 12

I'm not clear why they changed this behavior

EDIT: it was apparently issue 14064 but I can't work out where their issue tracking is right now, i would be curious to see that ticket

Ah yes that’s right, so it is working it’s just not really doing a particularly useful thing. It’s just badly implemented in a different way now!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was hoping the episode number overlay in the client would reflect it’s both 11 and 12 rather than making it look like I’m missing one.
kids television (which my Plex library is chock-full of) is lousy with this multi-episode bullshit, and while I didn't love the way Plex handled them previously... this is the change they made?? now in the client it just looks like the second half episode is missing?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I mean, in some ways it's better because the old implementation if you had e01-02 in your files episode 02 would show up in your Plex list but if you played it it would start at the beginning of the file, so there was no useful reason to have them separated out like that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also if you just let it autoplay it plays the same file twice, which is annoying.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Artie in the crowd at Crazy Horse right after he got divorced always cracks me up. I think he's wearing a fedora too?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

RichterIX posted:

I mean, in some ways it's better because the old implementation if you had e01-02 in your files episode 02 would show up in your Plex list but if you played it it would start at the beginning of the file, so there was no useful reason to have them separated out like that.

odiv posted:

Also if you just let it autoplay it plays the same file twice, which is annoying.

sure, that behavior is annoying, but I personally find that less frustrating than "if this TV show packages two "episodes" per file, the user interface now no longer displays every other 'episode'", if that is indeed how it works now. (I haven't updated yet so I have yet to see this for myself.) like bromance said, this sounds like changing from one bad implementation to a different bad implementation

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The funny thing is that Plex just implemented something that could be used to handle things properly. They could have just used the credits thing to know when the first episode ends.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Blotto_Otter posted:

sure, that behavior is annoying, but I personally find that less frustrating than "if this TV show packages two "episodes" per file, the user interface now no longer displays every other 'episode'", if that is indeed how it works now. (I haven't updated yet so I have yet to see this for myself.) like bromance said, this sounds like changing from one bad implementation to a different bad implementation
If only we could pick which bad implementation we prefer!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The funny thing is that Plex just implemented something that could be used to handle things properly. They could have just used the credits thing to know when the first episode ends.
That's 100% what I thought it was going to be because of the timing on the credits feature.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was wondering that but a lot of these episodes don’t have credits halfway through them.

Just add a second episode number to the thumbnail / description (depending on client) and everything is sorted. It’s like they got half way through the implementation then forgot the rest. I guess it’s only on the beta build so far so maybe it’s WIP.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was gonna say, this sounds like an increment of a larger feature that you'd ship just to call part of it done. Wouldn't surprise me if they plan to stage something more complete on beta before releasing it officially.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was wondering that but a lot of these episodes don’t have credits halfway through them.

yeah, just last week I was going through a bunch of episodes of Paw Patrol, and those all go straight from the first episode to the second episode, with nothing in between but a title card that only lasts 4 seconds or so. I imagine stuff like that would be really tricky to detect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah kids TV is almost always designed to be shown as a double episode block and those episodes never get separated, but tvdb people have always been obsessed with binding them into one and it drives everyone mad.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah kids TV is almost always designed to be shown as a double episode block and those episodes never get separated, but tvdb people have always been obsessed with binding them into one and it drives everyone mad.

It's so dumb.

Even dumber: when ripping rugrats dvds, they have the paired segments in one dvd title with two chapters. That sounds great, except that they show the credits after each segment! You have to rip them together as E01-E02, edit out the extra credits, and (I don't do this, but I wish I had) re-mark the chapters.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

nexus6 posted:

So my drive containing my media is getting close to full again and I'm getting tired of picking & deleting shows I don't want around anymore just to make space. I've heard about transcoding my files to smaller file sizes - is there a 'set it and forget it' guide to this? Last time I looked you had to install this thing with a bunch of nodes and install plugins etc etc. I'd much rather select my media dir, pick some output formats and just press 'go'.

hi op, I just installed "unmanic" to do this. Setup is bonkers, but apparently setup for tdarr is even more bonkers.

According to my calculations, I should be finished transcoding everything in March 2025!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Medullah posted:

I concur. 120TB and counting

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are people using Docker to run Plex on a Synology? I'm installing the binary directly on-NAS right now, but it's annoying to keep updating it.

e: Synology is running a Watchtower container already for other Docker content

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 17, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I used to do that but moved to the app package as I could never get hardware transcoding to place nice with the Docker Plex.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think part of the problem is that, for various reasons, the pairings aren't necessarily consistent across all regions, and kids' TV is one of those things that gets licensed and distributed far more than most other media so there are a lot of weird edge cases (e.g. it's fairly common for a kids' TV show to get a UK dub if it's originally in US English, like Paw Patrol, and I think they'll get dubs into some languages almost nothing else gets dubbed into like Gaelic, Maori, and American native languages, to air on the TV channels that are explicitly in those languages). There are bizarre things that can happen like Peppa Pig had an episode where Peppa was scared of spiders and the episode concludes with the parents saying something to the effect of "don't worry, it's just a little spider, it can't hurt you." They had to explicitly not air that episode in Australia, land of little spiders that definitely can hurt you, and also big spiders and other unsafe wildlife. Spongebob also had a few episodes (as in half a 30-minute block) removed for various content reasons, where the episode's content is essentially benign but you could definitely argue is sending the wrong sort of message to small children. In those situations they've kept the other episode half and paired it with a random other episode.

This all becomes a problem when you're trying to organize media that you're acquiring legally, like by recording a local broadcast outside of the US, and it could be a weird case where even though those people might be in the minority compared to people loading their media servers with :filez:, the tvdb mods might think they have to do things in a way that caters to more legal use cases to allow them to duck accusations of just being piracy tools.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The tvdb is insane. For some reason they decided the earliest episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 should go from being S00E01 to S00E630. Currently there is no such thing as S00E01, according to them.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

The tvdb is insane. For some reason they decided the earliest episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 should go from being S00E01 to S00E630. Currently there is no such thing as S00E01, according to them.

I sent them a bug report once and they fixed it. They fixed it in a way that really screwed up Radarr, but in figuring out how to report the bug, I delved into their standards and they are at least being consistent. I think what it boils down to is that their goals only sometimes align with the goals of people running Plex/Jellyfin/Emby.

I just stumbled across their listing for Rifftrax and, yeah, I don't know how I would have handled that one. At least what they decided on is based on logic.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Warbird posted:

I used to do that but moved to the app package as I could never get hardware transcoding to place nice with the Docker Plex.

You know, I think I tried it and hit this problem as well. I seem to remember containerizing Plex and then undoing it awhile back.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Thank you Plex for auto enabling this new Outro Detection on my libraries without asking me. Yet another feature they launched and never touch or update again

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Honestly I was encouraged by the addition of a new feature that we home users got. I worry a lot about Plex deciding we don't matter, but as long as the technology lines up with their streaming stuff, maybe we'll get updates. And who knows, maybe we'll get updates for other stuff too. Maybe.

For the time being it's still the best game in town.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cruft posted:

I sent them a bug report once and they fixed it. They fixed it in a way that really screwed up Radarr, but in figuring out how to report the bug, I delved into their standards and they are at least being consistent. I think what it boils down to is that their goals only sometimes align with the goals of people running Plex/Jellyfin/Emby.

I just stumbled across their listing for Rifftrax and, yeah, I don't know how I would have handled that one. At least what they decided on is based on logic.

Yeah Rifftrax works well for me too, that one is actually sane. The problem with their other (admittedly consistent) stuff is it doesn’t just not match up with the scene, it doesn’t match up with anything else at all. They just picked their own standard and expect everyone else to adhere to it. Luckily Sonarr automatically uses thexem.de to rematch but you have to be careful importing ‘fixed’ stuff because it’ll try fix it again. I’m looking at you, hours of my life lost multiple times to American Dad.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

What is the issue with Rifftrax releases not having title cards on tvdb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Outro skipping is really nice, I didn't even know about it and was like why did that episode just end??? I know it's got credits.